I’m a Believer

The salty cravings continued this afternoon.

buffalo chicken sausage

For today’s lunch, I made myself a buffalo chicken sausage on the grill and paired it with roasted butternut squash and red onion slices and tortilla chips.

buffalo chicken sausage (2)

IMG_7888

IMG_7891

This was my first time trying buffalo chicken sausage and I am a fan. If you like buffalo wings, I think you’d love ‘em, too!

Time to talk compression.

Compression: I’m a Believer

After the Women’s Half Marathon on Sunday, I slipped on the hot pink compression sleeves I received from Veronica, an awesome woman who works with my dad, hoping they would aid in my recovery.

women's half marathon st. pete 041

I wore them for several hours, including the entire two hour drive from St. Pete back to Ocala. Since I’m not a hardcore runner, I never thought to buy compression sleeves before, though I’ve read about their benefits numerous times in the past. (They’ve been shown in studies to stimulate blood flow, helping legs recover faster from a hard run by helping replace unoxygenated blood with fresh oxygenated blood.)

The day after the Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon, my calves felt tiiight.

Today, the day after the Women’s Half Marathon, my calves aren’t the least bit sore. Of course there are a lot of factors that can impact this (elevation levels, amount of stretching I did post-race, etc.), but since both courses were relatively flat and my stretching was similar, all I can say is I’m a believer.

I just wish I had compression shorts to wear yesterday! I am hoping to get a pair before I start training for my next race. I have a feeling they would’ve made a difference in the soreness I feel in my quads today.

Maybe I’ll be able to find a deal on Black Friday? Keeping my eyes open!

Comments

I can’t speak to how well they work, but Old Navy Active has a lot of new compression gear, and I think they’ll have it on sale on Friday! My calves are notoriously tight at all times, so I may have to invest in some of these – even if I only do 3-5 miles at a time, do you think they’d still be worthwhile?

• says

Hi Janine (& Julie),

I’m a big believer in compression wear! I have a pair of Old Navy Active compression capris that I love & got on sale for $13 – keeping an eye out for more this weekend. I splurged on the compression sleeves (Zensah hot pink too) and they’re totally worth it. I wear them a lot – running, sleeping, around the house. I average 3-5 miles too and have super tight calves & even put them on during off days.

This is the first I have heard of compression sleeves and I am very intrigued, wonder if they would help my shin splints! Are they just meant for wearing post run or can you wear them during your workout?

When I initially read your post, I thought it said “I’m a Bieleber”. Then I saw there were no posts of Justin Bieber. lol

I’m a believer also! It makes a huge difference. They should just make a compression onesie similar to a scuba suit instead of buying all these separate pieces.

I went out and bought some yesterday! I have been wanting to get a pair so bad, and I have a few races that are close together, so I figured I’ll give it a try! My quads are the only thing tight for me today too after yesterday’s race!

Be sure to let us know if you find some shorts! I could definitely benefit from using those after marathons!

I have never tried compression socks before but I am now a believer! I’m training for my first half and think these would be great for training and post race. Congrats on the run!

6. Monica says

Add me to the people wondering if they help with shin splits — the bane of my existence!

Oh, and the Buffalo chicken sausage looks righteous.

My favorite compression capris are the 2XU Perform Compression 3/4 Tights. I got them on sale for $50 from City Sports when they updated them to a new version (they are exactly the same), but they are a bit expensive. Totally worth it though! I put those suckers with some compression socks after my long runs and it just feels soooooo good (and I’m sure it helps too). I also do some of my runs in them

Congrats on your half marathon girl! Dang…I can’t run 5 minutes without cramping up so applause to you! When I saw the title of this post I was wondering if it was going to be a faith based post. I have seen you mention a few times that you and Ryan go to church, I was wondering if you’ve ever considered blogging about your faith and beliefs??

9. dee says

I’m new to running, but aren’t the capris you wore during the race comprssion? I should definitely do some research..my calves get really sore after my runs..thanks to the person who tipped about the old navy active line (might be worth a try since I’m a beginner), and to the person who mentioned shwaggle(?)..I’ll be looking into that, too!

I bought some cwx compression tights that I love from running warehouse. I wear them the night before (sleep in them) a half after working an expo and they really help! Use code WISHRACED for an extra discount!

Oh wow those Buffalo Style chicken sausages look really good! How were they? I just wanted to let you know that I’ve recently got addicted to yours and fitnessista blogs and it inspired me to start a blog with my best friend/aunt/sister!

12. Tami says

If you find a deal let us know. I had the sleeves and the a. Few eels ago there was a groupon for the compression socks…I love them both andi a firm believer that they help recovery. I don’t wear mine during the races or workouts, just after. I sometimes wear them to work under my pants!!!

Julie,

I really recommend to test yourself .. a sweating calculator, I’m not saying this is 100% accurate but will give you an idea of how much you need to drink previous a race. This is a link that is easy to use.
    Above is the link , try and maybe test yourself when you run the turkey trot. I hope this helps and next time this willnot be an issue.
    Once again thank you for been such an inspiration for a lot of us, your commitment and perseverance. I cant forget you creativity for food, your recipes are awesome.
    Thanks again