Accident Waiting to Happen

Well, one thing is for sure. This New Year’s Eve will not be spent the way we intended.

Lately it seems like I am an accident waiting to happen. I fell down a set of stairs at last week’s Straight No Chaser concert… in a mini dress. Nice.

Last Friday I got in a bike accident.

And today?

Today I sliced my pinky finger wiiide open trying to separate two frozen salmon burgers, requiring an emergency trip to the urgent care clinic.

finger

(Picture taken after the deep cut was glued together to spare you. Smile)

I’m typing this blog post mainly with my right hand and the pointer finger of my left hand. It’s awesome!

Let’s back it up to before the gore, shall we? (And I promise no bloody pictures. I get nauseous at the very sight of blood, let alone my own blood, and will spare you the images of my lacerated pinky.)

This afternoon started out really nice! Ryan and I took Sadie on a two-hour hike and had a great time talking about new possible vacation destinations that we’re now considering thanks to your enthusiastic comments on my vacation inquiry post this week.

hike 001-2

Our hike lasted longer than I anticipated and by the time we were done, I was famished. When we walked in the door, I immediately took two salmon burgers out of the freezer to prepare for lunch. They were frozen together and after running them under water for a bit, I got impatient and used a knife to try to separate them.

IMG_8622

Intelligent, I know.

The knife separated the burgers with ease and slid right down to my hand, severely slicing my left pinky finger.

I called out in alarm and Ryan came running, immediately taking my hand in his and wrapping my finger in a paper towel. When we saw how deep the cut was, Ryan looked up directions to the nearest urgent care clinic and we headed out.

I felt so dizzy and nauseous and when we arrived, Ryan filled out all of my paperwork and handed over our insurance card.

Within five minutes, a nurse was taking my blood pressure and asking me a series of questions. He had a hard time getting a reading on my blood pressure (I naturally have fairly low blood pressure and apparently my dizziness brought my reading down really low), but eventually a reading came across. My systolic blood pressure is usually in the 90s and today it was in the low 80s, with my diastolic in the 50s when it is usually in the 60s. I thought I might pass out. (Told you I’m a medical pansy.)

Eventually they took me back and told me I needed a tetanus shot and had two options for my finger… stitches or glue.

I immediately opted for the glue promising to be extra careful not to break the seal while it heals because the thought of stitches made me freak out!

The glue burned like crazy and made my finger feel like it was on fire, but the pain lasted for only a couple of minutes.

The doctor had us wait for a while before prescribing me antibiotics and sending us on our way.

Apparently drinking on antibiotics is a bad idea which means no booze for New Year’s. Bummmmmer.

We went to Publix to to fill my prescription and were told it would take 30 minutes, so we walked into the nearest restaurant we could find to finally get some food.

My stomach was still a little off – I was hungry and nauseous at the same time – but I ate everything I ordered without a problem.

IMG_8618

I started with hot tea for my nausea and then kicked it into gear with a cup of chili with cheese and Saltines.

IMG_8617

A shrimp salad plus half of Ryan’s curly fries served as my entrée.

IMG_8619

IMG_8621When we picked up my antibiotics, we made sure to grab a half gallon of spiced pumpkin pecan ice cream and decided to change our New Year’s Eve plans to include sitting on the couch in our pajamas, watching movies and eating ice cream out of the container because I feel pretty darn drained.

IMG_8623

IMG_8625

In case you’re curious, Blue Bell’s spiced pumpkin pecan ice cream is unbelievably fantastic. They don’t skimp on the pecans and the flavor is spot on.

So that’s how we’ll be spending our New Year’s! Smile

Ringing in 2012 at home with Sadie and Ryan is still a great way to spend the last of 2011. They’re pretty darn cool.

Hope you have a fun night and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments

1. Shannon says

Oh my goodness, I guess you are accident prone 🙂 It is such a nice thing that your blood pressure is so low, it is probably your regular exercising that helps that , at least that is what I heard on Dr. Oz. I also heard that taking antibiotics can mess up the birth control pills 🙂 Hope you feel better soon. I sound like Ryan took care of you real good!

2. mary says

The other thing antibiotics do is affect how your birth control pills work. Just a word of advice!! Sorry to hear about your latest injury. Have a great New Yrs. Look forward to 2012 and PBF

3. Alexis says

So glad you’re ok! Could have been much worse! Remember when Chandler lost his toe on Thanksgiving?? And had to have it reattached?? But they brought a carrot instead? Lol! Hope you have a Happy New Year! This is one you will never forget!

4. Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes says

Yikes…I hope your finger feels better soon, and don’t feel bad, I think we’ve all tried to separate two frozen patties with a knife before…at least I have.
    Lesson learned!
    Happy New Year!!!

5. janet says

Oh dear!!!!! Glad you are okay … And a few drinks tonight won’t make a lot of difference on day one of your antibiotics.
    (TMI time … If you are on the pill, use backup as antiobiotics are a sure way to have an oooooops)
    Happy New year and love to you all!!!

Janet
    Ps – guess Ryan’s turn to cook for a few days
    Pps – my first day of chefschool I set my chef coat arm on fire – now THAT was embarassing!

Oh I am so sorry for you & your finger! But happy you had someone to take care of you! About a year ago I was de-seeing an avacado and I decided to use a knife to prick the seed. Well, it slipped and went straight through the avacado and my hand, into the bone. I almost passed out and had to be carried to the couch to sit down. Glad you’re ok though!

I’m so sorry to hear about your finger Julie! I hope it heals up well soon!

Your new years evening actually sounds perfect to me! I’m exhausted after a long week of work, and I think I may do something similar-a movie on the couch 🙂

8. Megan says

Awe, you seem to be having some awful luck 🙁 They do say that bad things come in threes so hopefully you’ll be good until next year 🙂

Awww…so glad you are feeling better! I am feeling under the weather and sky-ping my hubby who deployed, watching movies and eating ice cream of course! Have a Happy New Year!

Boooo! I hope you heal quickly! If it makes you feel any better, we opted to stay home tonight too. We just got back from vacation (how is getting back to real life so draining?), and I have some sort of sinus cold thing. We ordered Outback takeaway and plan on watching the Big Bang Theory marathon while snuggling on the couch. Happy New Year!

I sliced my middle finger on my right hand with a mandolin the other night while trying to prepare a gratin…I’ve gone through two packs of plasters since and the paper stitches have been on and off. I’m also a medical pansy and lucky enough my dad was on hand as I did pass out. I feel your pain…I’m an accident waiting to happen lately, one thing after another!

Eek! I am accident prone too. When I was 18 I stabbed my hand, between my thumb and pointer finger, while I was carving a pumpkin………with a table knife. I unfortunately had to get stitches.

I hope your finger heals fast. Happy New Year!!!

Oh no! Glad you are OK! About a month ago I was peeling a squash, was rushed in the kitchen, and ended up peeling the skin off of my pinky finger. It was a bleeder! No stitches, but a splint, lots of gauze and tape, and a very sore finger. Stay well!

14. Aimoree says

I cut my finger on a can of Cream of Mushroom soup over Thanksgiving (darn you green bean casserole! too bad it’s so delicious…). And a couple Christmases I ended up in the ER due to a severe allergic reaction to some nuts I ate at a party. I think all the holiday excitement makes me accident prone. haha. Anyways, I hope you feel better soon!

🙁 sorry to here about your accident!! I’m glad it wasn’t too bad! A new years in is my kind I’d night and exactly what I am doing with my boyfriend. P.s. this week I will be recaping my vacation to Costa Rica that I just went on with my family and from reading things you have posted on your blog before I think it would be right up your and Ryan’s alley. Happy new years!

oh no! i’m glad everything is ok! they say things happen in 3’s, so that would be your third!

i think a nice comfy nite w/yummy ice cream sounds like a great way to ring in the new year 🙂

17. Dione says

You really have had a lot of bad luck lately…sometimes it just happens that way. I still have a slight scar on my l,eft index finger where I sliced it wide open with a serrated knife cutting open a parcel a couple summers ago. I was surprisingly calm….I saw how deep it was…thought “That’s going to need stitches!” wrapped my finger in a facecloth and tried to put on some pants as best as I could. I then walked the few blocks to the hospital where I am a med lab tech and into emergency where I ended up with several stitches. The sight of blood doesn’t bother me obviously since I work with tubes of blood every day…but seeing the inside of my finger did ha.

18. Olivia says

Aww! Glad they were able to take care of your finger without stitches! Hope your night’s still great and you enjoy LOTS of ice cream! It helps with recovery 😉 Happy New Year!

19. Dani says

I did something like that in 2011 that involved a surprisingly sharpe peeler, a block of cheese, and a part of my middle finger. At least Sadie wasn going nuts like beaver, my dog, did. I laughed at the tetanus shot part as they gave me one too. Urg I’ve been changed since. Extra careful in the kitchen now.

You dont need booze to celebrate the new year just loved ones :).

Happy 2012!

20. Lisa says

I bruise very easily that my family has dubbed me the walking wounded. I can bump into a table and have a bruise the next day. I recently had an area below my calf muscle be covered in bruises only to realize it was from a bag containing board games I was donating to my church for their Christmas collection for needy children. Not a pretty site. Your latest batch might be one for the Julie record books. You seemed like a real trooper though. And as someone who abstains from alcohol (personal choice) I say pop open some sparkling cider (or ginger ale) and dive into that ice cream with Ryan and enjoy ringing in 2012. BTW those curly fries looked amazing. I now have a craving for them thanks to that picture. Yum. Enjoy your New Year’s Eve.

21. Tiffany says

Happy New Year Sweetheart! Wishing you and your family lots of love, happiness and laughter for this coming new year! 🙂

I hope you feel better soon!! Glad you are doing better 🙂

Ice cream always makes everything better lol

22. MC says

What was supposed to be your New Years plans? I’m staying in too! Back to your story– I had a similar situation when I was 3 (that was 22 years ago lol) and I still remember it! Slit my pointy finger on a tuna can and then had to get stitches and I still can see slit of the scar/stitches.

23. Liz says

Ohhhhhh! Crappy NYE. I’m accident prone like that, too. I once sliced wayyyyy into the tip of my thumb with the edge of a tomato sauce can & it left a permanent scar in my thumbprint area. I immediately bought a can opener that leaves smooth edges.

Happy New Year!

24. Andrea @ Andrea out loud! says

Oh man! I’m gla you are ok. I’m a huge medical pansy as well and have actually fainted getting my blood pressure taken (I HATE squeezing), sad I know.

Oh no! I hope you are feeling better today! I worked at a bagel bakery last semester and sliced my finger while slicing a bagel and had to go to the emergency room. No bueno. At least you got all fixed up and had blue bell ice cream to finish out your night. They don’t have blue bell in the midwest which makes me sad bc it was my favorite ice cream when I lived in the south!

26. Shephalli says

Oh no! Hope you feel better. Look at the bright side – no hangover today! Happy New Year and look forward to your blog in 2012.

27. Bethany @ Hello to the Good Life says

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Feeling dizzy and nauseous is the worst feeling! I once passed out having my blood drawn and in a vet’s office before too. They had to sedate my dog to do a procedure and I guess it freaked me out! Hope you and your family have a great holiday!

I’m really sorry to hear about your incident but it’s slightly funny though, ’cause I’ve done the very same thing (also with frozen salmon) but with a fork. That story ended with the fork going straight through my finger and me slightly panicking since… I had a fork IN my finger! Yeah, emergency as well…

But I do hope you get into much less accidents this year, and I have to say that I love your blog and you inspire me a lot! But I am very sorry for your new years evening, in time you will have one more thing to laugh about it though!!

29. Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon says

Oh no!! An er visit on new years eve?! Sounds like you made the best of it though-that ice cream looks pretty fantastic!
    Ps don’t worry…I completely freak out about anything medical too! You’re not alone!

30. Mk says

I feel your pain, Julie!

(well, not the finger slicing part)

I came down with an acute case of bronchitis and am on antibiotics.
    So, we spent last night making DIY ice cream sundaes and watching
    Dick Clark’s Rockin New Years Eve from the couch while our friends were out partying through to 2012.

…it was actually kind of nice 🙂

Feel better and HAPPY NEW YEAR, FAGANS!

31. Marcy says

FYI Don’t forget that when taking antibiotics you can still get pregnant using birth control pills! Although…I think Sadie will make a great big sister! Forget that I said anything! HA

32. ashley says

Aw Julie, sorry to hear about your finger!! I would have totally passed out no doubt I do NOT do blood. There would have been no other option but glue.

Ps: I would have much rather stayed in last night and sat on the couch with Alex than deal with the crazies that we were around last night in Nashville. It also took us 2hours to get a taxi!!!! Oyyy
    H
    Happy new year Fagans!!

Holy Moly! I work in an ER so the process sounds so familiar 🙂 I’m just so glad you’re okay!!

We spent NYE on the couch in our PJ’s too … no shame in that. Rockin’ 2012 in Grandma style 😉

Happy New Years Julie!

Oh no! Glad you’re okay Julie! I cut my finger cooking a month ago and had the same reaction. My body always does that – feel dizzy, blood pressure drops, nausea – when I cut myself like that. Glad that your NYE wasn’t totally squashed. Sometimes a night in is the best way to celebrate!

35. Lauren says

Aw Julie! I’m so sorry you’re hurt, and I hope you feel better soon. I am absolutely accident prone as well. My two best wipeouts were at a friend’s family reunion in Massachusetts a few years ago, I was trying to swing from a rope into a lake and crashed down the hill, ending up with 15 bandages on my legs, and the next summer I tried biking ONTO a curb (not one of my more intelligent decisions) and ended up with 15 more bandages on my legs. Now I have some gnarly scars 🙂 Klutzes unite!

Oh no! That’s not a fun way to start the new year! I’m glad you’re okay. I can’t stand the sight of blood and have never had to get stitches, thank goodness. That’s actually surprising because I am so clumsy.
    Hopefully no more accidents in 2012!

Ow! What a start to the new year. I’m a total medical pansy too. A few years back, my sister peeled off part of her finger while peeling potatoes. And I was the one to pass out. I think ice cream fixes everything though…and I had a night similar to your NYE…lazy and at home with my husband and puppy. It felt so good to wake up early today, hangover free and go for a long hike with the dog. Hope you’re feeling better!

Hi fellow Faigen! I spell my last name a bit differently but I think it still counts hehe. I love reading your blog and I have recently decided to start my own blog to share my life. I look forward to keeping up with your posts in the new year! All the best 🙂

39. Katie G says

Oh wow, glad you’re okay! And coincidentally, nearly the EXACT SAME THING happened to me last week! Except it was 1 am on wednesday night and I was trying to wash the food processor…..not so smart. So then by 1:15 me nad my dad were rushing to the ER and I had to get three stitches on my middle finger. ahha it was QUITE the night and I just took my stitches out yesterday! 😛

OUUUUCH! I had a similar incident last year. I was slicing up an apple to go in our lunch boxes and the apple rolled, with the result being the brand new, super sharp knife ALMOSt taking off the tip of my thumb. I still have no feeling in half of the tip of my left thumb. Fortunately, it was glueable. Unfortunately, I almost threw up on The Boy’s feet right after I cut myself.

Oh man! That sounds awful! 🙁 I’m a medical pansy, too. After a memorable fainting incident after receiving a flu shot, I haven’t been able to handle any sort of vaccine. I got the FluMist this year and almost passed out just seeing the little spray tube thing even though no needles are involved. I got a HepA shot last Tuesday and had to lay down on the table for like 15 minutes before I had enough stability to walk. Like I said, total pansy.

oof! That just sounds plain painful. And like you, I can’t even look at my own blood. This morning, my husband and I were moving furniture, and one of our 26 globes fell off the cabinet and gashed open his cheek. It’s pretty deep, and instead of helping out, I nearly fainted! Great spousal support, I know…

43. Morgan says

So sorry! I hope you feel better quickly 🙂 I just wanted to let you know that you have inspired one of my New Year’s resolutions – to run a half marathon! I’ve always been a non-serious runner, running maybe 2-3 miles a few times a week. In the past month or two I’ve been pushing myself to do 3-4 miles each time I run, and trying to run 4-5 days a week. Now I’m going to run a half on April 1!

44. Lauren says

I hope your finger heals!! I have cut both of my middle fingers deep in the last 2ish months and both times felt like passing out. It was so bad the second time i put my head between my knees to releve some of the dizzyness and nauseous. Its not very fun :P.

🙁 aww girl sorry about your hand! about a month ago i was peeling a butternut squash and i accidentally peeled my finger tip [almost] off! i was in my dorm room by myself (both my roommates were out) and i completely freaked (note to self: keep calm and DON’T panic) i was literally rushing around my entire room looking for a first aid kit and i totally blanked on what to do. like you, i was getting really dizzy and light headed so i grabbed a towel and managed to get over to my neighbor’s room (who’s a certified EMT!) and got the help i needed. my cut was super deep but i kinda brushed it off because i also am freaked out about the idea of stitches. not a good idea though, because a week later i was celebrated my 19th birthday and was dancing the night away and to my horror, my finger caught on something and…well you can guess how the story ends :/

The same thing happened to me 2 years ago. I chopped my left pink finger 90% off. I had to have reconstructive surgery, physical therpay and was in a cast for 6 weeks. I ended up ending my old blog because it was too much. Believe me….I feel your pain.

Ugh, Julie…I’m sorry to hear this 🙁
    I’m glad you are ok though…that is quite an accident to happen on NYE. Bummer!
    Hopefully the ice cream helped you get back in a good mood though! 🙂

48. Hannah says

I hope you heal up fast! And it’s not really true anymore that antibiotics mess with The Pill. It’s only certain antibiotics, which are rarely used here… The only thing is that antibiotics give me a yeast infection every.single.time I have to take them (TMI?) so watch out for that if you haven’t taken any in a while.

ouch i bet that hurt! i do stupid crap like that all the time! when i was addressing xmas cards i yanked off a piece of tape and somehow managed to scrape the top of my thumb off…on the tape dispenser. so be careful around tape! haha happy ny!

Ahhh, not fun :/ Hope the glue holds! I had two minor surgeries over the summer to remove melanoma moles on my legs and I can still feel the stitches- they had to do three layers [all internal] so it’s taken a while to heal… I would have totally chosen the glue too, even if it burns for a bit!

Not fun at all! I feel your pain…I can’t walk without tripping over my own two feet half of the time. I am unbelievably accident prone. For 2012, I’m hoping no more senseless injuries! It’s my goal!

Bummer about your finger! I got food poisoning (in London!) on New Year’s Eve – NOT a fun way to spend the night! I would have much preferred your night of ice cream and movies! 🙂 Hope 2012 is better!

53. Emily says

I sliced my left pointer finger on Christmas! I too felt instantly sick to my stomach and turned as white as a ghost! Only I was cutting a dog treat….lol.

54. Laurie Turner says

So sorry to hear about your finger! Yikes. You have had your three mishaps so now you are ready for a great 2012. Happy New Year!

Love,
    Aunt Laurie

ahhhhh i had no idea this happened to you!!!! youch… i sliced my ring finer on my right hand wide open in 6th grade and had to get 3 stitches. i thought the stitches would hurt like crazy…. but they weren’t bad at all! Hoping you are all healed by now.. seeing as it’s been over a month since this happened!