The Maze Runner Trilogy

My morning snack today included veggies, string cheese and hummus. I rarely snack on vegetables, as I typically gravitate toward fresh fruit, peanut butter, a smoothie or Greek yogurt.

I initially planned to make myself a salad for lunch, but after snacking on raw vegetables this morning, I was in the mood for something different.

DSC_2757

I made myself a bowl of Monterey Pasta Company lobster ravioli, topped with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese.

DSC_2759

I also ate two plums as I waited for the ravioli to cook on the stovetop and Sadie stared at me with intense longing for a bite of people food.

puppy eyes

She kills me.

I haven’t bought plums in ages and randomly purchased five this week. I ate three yesterday and two today. All gone!

I must remember to buy them again in the future because they were so much better than I remembered. I also think I managed to snag some exceptionally delicious plums, because I remember biting into my fair share of tart plums in my day.

The Maze Runner Trilogy

Last week, Ryan and I finished reading the final book in The Maze Runner trilogy, The Death Cure. (The second book is The Scorch Trials.)

When we first began reading the books, I promised you guys a review and I’m here to deliver!

maze runner

Michelle recommended that I read The Maze Runner since she knows I really enjoy dystopian novels and loved The Hunger Games and Divergent. (Side note: I know The Hunger Games is crazy-popular right now and if you read and loved the books in that series, you must read Divergent. I actually liked it even more than The Hunger Games.)

The Maze Runner follows Thomas, a teenage boy who wakes up in the middle of the Glade with his memory completely wiped. Boys just like Thomas, whose memories have also been wiped, live in the Glade, a large, desolate place surrounded by stone walls with doors that open out to a seemingly never-ending maze every morning and close every night.

Thomas and the other Gladers are determined to find a way out of the maze and figure out who put them there and why. Some of the Gladers are able to remember bits and pieces from their past and these little glimpses into the outside world add to the intrigue of the book.

The arrival of the first girl to the Glade knocks Thomas off his feet as he realizes he has a serious connection to her. Gradually Thomas realizes his role in the Glade is an important one and one he must take very seriously if the Gladers ever hope to get out of the maze and understand their new world.

I don’t want to say too much more in case you decide to read the second and third books, but the additional books in the trilogy continue to follow the Gladers and their adventures. The books are action-packed, fast-moving and every chapter ends in a way that makes you want to keep reading.

Of Possible Interest

Comments

What a great day for you–finishing a great sounding trilogy and eating lobster ravioli. YUMM.

I think this trilogy sounds for me, so thank you for the reviews! I am always on the hunt for good books (I just joined goodreads too) Oh and If you’ve liked Hunger Games and such, you might like “Graceling.” SOOOO good!

I liked Divergent better than Hunger Games too!! Currently on the second Maze Runner book and really enjoying it! What’s the next dystopian novel you’re going to read? I think I’m hooked and need something after maze runner πŸ™‚

3. Erica says

I just finished this series as well and I loved it! I liked it because it had a mystery to it…you were constantly guessing who was behind it and why.

• says

what did you think of the ending of the death cure? i felt like it left something to be desired… i felt like the death of one of the key characters was rather abrupt! (i left out the person’s name to avoid any spoilers in the comments section!)

• Erica says

The ending was disappointing. I would have liked to learn more about everyone’s pasts a bit more. What they were like before their minds were washed and learn more about the relationships they had with each other. I also thought the death was abrupt!

• says

I completely agree with you guys! I really wanted to hear more about the past. I didn’t think the little bit that you found out through dreams was enough. For some reason, I can see another book coming in the future due to things said in the last chapter…

• says

Have you read the prequels to find out about the past? I just finished the first book and have been wondering if the prequels were worth it, but it doesn’t sound like anyone’s read them.

• 91% Chocolate Lover says

I wanted to find out more about how WICKED expected to use all its data, because it was constantly messing with people’s emotions and it seemed like in the end it was for no reason at all. But great series!

• Emily says

The prequel doesn’t come out until august 2012! It’s called The Kill Order and I think it goes into more detail about WICKED and Thomas and Teresas role. I ended the series and loved them but I felt I didn’t know enough about Thomas’ memories and the past. I am so excited for this book!

• Jamie says

These comments are a little old, but I just started reading this series so I had to ask. Doesnt the slang get annoying throughout the book, or do you just get used to it? I’m only a few pages in and its already gotten on ny nerves

My dog is giving my the same look right now as I eat my bagel – he loves cream cheese more than anything in the world. I’ve been wanting to read that series – I read Divergent after your recommendation and loved it! Thanks!

Raviolis are my favorite quick meal go to! Love them!

I have the Maze Runner on my Nook and have been meaning to read it, but I always gravitate towards something else. Thanks for the review!

I just finished reading The Death Cure this weekend and OMG, I loved these books!! I finished the book in one day and could not put it down, meaning, Sunday was a very unproductive day for me! I read the trilogy because you suggested it and I already have Divergent cued up on my Nook to read this weekend. Thanks for the book suggestions…I have loved all of them!

7. Megan says

I’ve been looking for some more distopian novel suggestions, I’m definitely going to start reading The Maze Runner now! I also thought Divergent was better than The Hunger Games and can’t wait for the 2nd book to come out!

8. Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

I bought The Hunger Games on Sunday and was finished with all three books in the triology by Monday night. Obsessed? YUP. I’ve been looking for a new book to read and I’m definitely going to check both of this out!!

I just downloaded Divergent! Can’t wait to read it! I read the preview of it, and it sounds so good. No wonder you were hooked.
    I might have to start reading right now. I’m sure my boss will love that πŸ˜‰

Our office provides fresh fruit to employees every day and I was excited to see a plum today instead of the usual apples, bananas and pears. Unfortunately though it was super sour, the burden of eating fruit in the winter while living in Ohio! πŸ™‚ living south has so many advantages including ripe fruit! Lol

I’ve been dying for new books to read! I’m starting with Divergent and then trying out the Maze Runner!! Woohoo

Also, have you ever heard of Shatter Me? I am a Hunger Games fan, and liked Shatter Me more. It’s just one book so far, but it will turn into a trilogy (according to her website!)

12. dee says

I totally imagined the plums you were describing to be so fantastic to be tart ones! I tend to like (okay, it’s more LOVE) my fruits sour! Why? I have no idea..but all cherries/berries (straw,blue, rasp, whatever!), apples (pine, fuji, gala, etc..), citrus, guavas, (and I sometimes even salt my watermelons!) I prefer tart. Mm..bananas may be the exception, though I like them sliiiiightly green..once they spot, they’re left for someone else in the house because I won’t touch them! πŸ™‚ haha..

I LOVE the dystopian/post-apocalyptic genre (not sure why). I read the Hunger Games and while it was entertaining, it wasn’t really a great read as far as books go (but obviously, it is YA, which is why the writing isn’t that good). I like to switch off reading these books that are driven solely by plot and others that have deeper, more complex characters and themes (just finished Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann, which won the National Book Award…not dystopian but you should definitely read that next) Thanks so much for the recommendations!

I just finished the first book The Maze Runner last night and I’m totally intrigued as to where it goes from here. Have you also read the two prequels? Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare and The Kill Order?

Divergent was also amazing, although I’m bummed that I have to wait for more books to come out!

These sound really interesting!! Thank you for sharing :). I think I’ve mentioned it before, but if you’ve liked Divergent and The Hunger Games, you should read Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi! It’s really good…there are a bit more romantic parts than The Hunger Games but it’s awesome!

Thank you for the food link at the bottom! I’ve been reading a few of their articles now on good for you foods and bad for you foods and its always great getting to learn more about the foods that I eat!

I’m going to have to check out the books. I’m surprised I haven’t read the hunger games yet, I’ve heard so many good things about it!

17. Bridget says

I read hunger games and divergent and LOVED them. I just started the maze runner last night. I see you like divergent better than hunger games but where does the maze runner fall in the ranking?

I am the complete opposite in that I rarely (if ever) crave fruit. The only way I will eat it is in a green smoothie and sometimes I will eat an apple but only if it is a pink lady and is SUPER crisp.

19. Dana says

I love the Hunger Games and Divergent and the author, Veronica, is so sweet! She’s actually one of my close friends’ sister-in-law! I’ll have to give Maze Runner a read…thanks for the suggestion!

I actually just bought the first book in the Maze Runner trilogy on my Kindle the other day and as soon a I’m done with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, I’m going to start it. Apparently, I’m a sucker for trilogies these days πŸ™‚

Glad you liked the series! I read some of your comments and I agree that the end left something to be desired — and the death — felt SO unnecessary! I was like REALLY???? NOW? It was still a great series – I just felt a little jerked around by the ending.

Can’t wait for the 2nd book in the Divergent series (Insurgent) to come out. Looks like we only have to wait until May 1st!

22. Amanda says

I recently stumbled upon your blog and I am LOVING it! I’m 23 and living with my boyfriend of six years. We decided to change to a healthier lifestyle a couple months ago and haven’t looked back. Your posts on healthy eating and fitness have been really inspiring.

I also read the Maze Runner trilogy last fall and was pretty disappointed with the ending, although overall I thought the trilogy was good.

23. Bridget says

Julie, I just started reading the first book of The Maze Runner. I LOVEDDD The Hunger Games and Divergent and so far The Maze Runner isn’t impressing me as much as the other two. It doesn’t seem as well written and is a little repetitive. I’m still not that far in so I hope it gets better. Where does The Maze Runner lie in your ranking of the three books? I know you liked Divergent better than Hunger Games.
    Thanks!