Feast or Famine

Late this morning, I headed out for a biweekly Taste of Ocala committee meeting. The big event is two months away and we’ve secured all of the participating restaurants. Now it’s time to sell some tickets and find more event sponsors!

Lunch

After my meeting, I headed home for lunch.

I was in a bit of a hurry, so I quickly scrambled some eggs with spinach and leftover Andouille sausage from last night’s dinner. I also ate a pear on the side.

scrambled eggs with sausage

scrambled eggs

Then it was off to the Artisinal Dish! I had a meeting with a potential client to discuss a possible ongoing freelance project and arrived a little early. While I waited, I bought an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie and a bottle of Ayala’s lemongrass mint vanilla herbal water.

IMG_2226

I adore that water. The flavor profile is so unique and it is incredibly refreshing.

Our meeting was short and sweet and I was in and out in less than an hour. The Artisinal Dish is located right across the street from a store that sells Sadie’s dog food, so I popped in and bought a jumbo bag.

Last week a few of you asked what food we feed Sadie, so I snapped a picture today.

orijen dog food

We feed her Orijen dog food. We actually still buy puppy food because Sadie is a scrawny little girl and our vet in Orlando recommended keeping her on puppy food to help keep weight on her. (Vizslas as a breed are lean dogs.) I did a bunch of research on different kinds of dog food before we got Sadie and she’s a picky eater, so it took us a few trials before we found a quality dog food that she seemed to enjoy. Now we’re all about Origen!

Question of the Afternoon

• Pet owners: Is your pet a big eater?

We’ve always said that Sadie is a “feast or famine” eater. She has access to her food 24 hours a day and will eat a ton some days and then only nibble a bit the next day. She’s goofy.

Comments

I don’t have a dog but have cats, who eat SO much but they are the tiniest little things. It’s odd, maybe it’s because they’re outdoor. The event sounds like it will be a ton of fun! I’m sure you’ll be able to find lots more event sponsors!
    Okay, that herbal water sounds super interesting, but totally tasty!

My dog is the same way! He is such a sleepy head in the morning and pretty much refuses to eat within a few hours of waking up! Some days he wolfs down his dinner, other days he doesn’t eat much of anything, a few bites here or there if I’m lucky.

• Jen says

My lab will eat herself into a coma if you let her! She’ll eat ANYTHING too, I don’t think she’s met a people food or treat that she hasn’t liked!

My beagle, on the other hand, is just like Sadie. Some days she barely eats and other days she acts like we never feed her!

• says

My lab mix is the same, he could eat all day! My family had a beagle and she was the same way. Unlike Jen’s, our beagle would eat all food in sight and even got to the food container a few times, eating it all!

Besides our lab mix, my husband & I have the sweetest husky mix and she’s just like Sadie. She will eat like there won’t be any food tomorrow and other day’s she will take a pass. Gotta love ’em!

3. Ashley says

My shih tzu, Charlee, is the pickiest eater ever! I have tried tons of different brands. Lately, she has enjoyed fresh pets. She too has access 24/7 but there are days she won’t even eat. It’s frustrating because I can hear her belly growl but she won’t eat. So strange!!

• Melanie L says

I have a shih tzu as well, Murphy, and he’s the exact same way. He’ll easily go 2 days at a time without eating, belly growling and all. It’s like they have their own shih tzu diet plan!

• Ashley says

Haha it drives me nuts. I’ve also noticed that when I place her bowl out in the living room with us she will eat her food. It’s like she needs an audience as well!! I love her :)

Mmm that oatmeal chocolate chip cookie looks so yummy! Now I’m craving cookies!

Both of our labs are huge eaters! If we gave them free reign with their food, they’d be obese. I’m pretty sure their favorite parts of the day are breakfast and dinner. 😉

My dog Jack (a 2 yr old black lab) is the same way. If we are at my parent’s house where there are other dogs, he could skip his meals all weekend and be fine. Sometimes he just is busy playing all day and gets to his food when he feels like it. Other times though, he gobbles all his food in like 5 seconds. Weird!

Feast or famine! Love that. Now we know what to call Laverne’s eating habits. She is good about eating breakfast every morning but dinner is hit or miss. If we are out for dinner then chances are she won’t eat but if we eating at home then she will eat when we’re eating. Go figure. I guess she likes the company.

My dog is the same way. We leave food is bowl 24/7. Some days we have to fill it a couple of times, and other days he barely eats any of it. He has somewhat of a sensitive stomach, so once we found a food that worked, we stayed with it!

Silly Sadie! My dog Leo, is a 3 year old Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) and he’s definitely the same way, he has access to food constantly because he’s just a grazer!

As a puppy Leo had a corn allergy, which has lessened over time but I still don’t like to feed him anything with corn as a major ingredient in it (which with most dog foods and treats is like everything). Our brand is Blue Buffalo. He loves it and it has absolutely no corn. :)

Our dog Lando loves to eat, but we only feed him twice daily. Once in the morning and once in the evening. He loves his dog food and will try to sneak cat food too. He likes human food if he can sneak a bite (he stole a sandwich right out of my hand once) but doesn’t care for veggies like snap peas or carrots if given to him. He LOVES treats though. He’ll vacuum those right up.

I also got 3 cats that are eating us out of house and home. 2 of them are long and lean, one very muscular. The third…. she’s round, heavy, with a small head that lives for food.

• Brittany says

There is another Lando out there?! Our 4 year old adopted English Setter shares the same name, and apparently the same appetite for life. He eats his food in 30 seconds, two cups twice daily, and just the other day stole my pepperoni bread right of the kitchen table. I caught him eating it in the living room.

• says

LOL! Yes! Our Lando is an Aussie Shepherd. He has his weird food moments though. A couple times I had to feed him by hand when he was a pup because he was scared of his food bowl! Now he eats just fine, but always checks his dish as if more food would magically appear :) We feed him Eukanuba.

10. sara says

when our gsp was just a few months old, our vet suggested giving him a “bottomless bowl” so he could teach himself how much to eat. we tried it out but he ate SO MUCH until he had a sweet little pregnant belly and looked like a groggy mess. we now measure his food twice a day, but he still eats it as fast as possible, always hoping to finish first so he can sneak some of his slower-eating brothers food too!

11. Jem says

My dog could eat the entire bag of food we buy in one sitting! He acts like he is always hungry and it makes me sad because I always want to feed him more but we have to measure his food and be careful because he is a French Bulldog that has to maintain a proper weight.

12. Jessica says

I have a husky and a lab. The lab will eat her bowl and the husky’s food if given the chance. I try to watch what she eats because she is starting to get the barrel belly. Our husky is a very different eater and will hoard her food. She is very picky about what she eats and she will take a mouthful and hide it in places to eat later.

my dog is a weird eater, he sometimes goes to town on his breakfast other times wont touch it until like 4pm and then still wants dinner at 6. Or he isn’t interested at all, but he is without fail always interested in people food and is right at my feet when I prep dinner!

• Laura says

Ha my dog is the same! I halfway think he waits to eat his own food to see how much people food he can trick us into giving him during dinner prep.

14. Amber says

My Vizsla, Libby, is teeny as well and such a picky eater!! I used to spoon feed her as a pup to try and get her to eat. [I’m sad to admit that fact, but it’s true] I no longer do that, but she still isn’t interested in food much..she could take it or leave it, really. My German Shorthaired Pointer LIVES for food. So funny how they can be so different. :)

My brither’s golden retriever is the same, sometimes she’ll scarf down her food and sometimes she won’t touch it! Very different from one of my dogs growing up, we had a chocolate lab who would have eaten herself to death if he could!

Our dog, Nola, eats like it is her job. I honestly don’t know how she stays so lean because she eats all her food at our place and then we head to my parent’s house, they have two dogs, and she eats all their food as well. And then barks for more. It is out of control!

17. Brittany says

Our English Setter, Lando, is feast, always. He nearly pees himself he’s so excited for meal times you would think that we starve him! We only feed him Blue Buffalo dog food. When we adopted him he was infested with fleas and let with very itchy, dry and damaged skin. Now almost 3 months later, his skin starting to heal and his coat is getting so shiny!

My Golden is a BIG eater! I have him on 3 cups a day of Blue . Lets just say he is waiting in his crate for his food promptly at 5:30 and at 4pm! He also devours the bowl in 30 seconds or less!

19. ashley says

Our dog is “feast or famine” too, except we call it a hunger strike when he doesn’t eat much. Some days he can’t get enough and some days he just doesn’t touch his food. He’s a jack russell mix so he’s pretty high energy. Maybe he’s just too busy bouncing around to stop and eat. I don’t know.

20. PluvK says

This post made me feel better! My dog is like Sadie – feast or famine. And it made me nervous because my previous pups were all big eaters! Some days my guy needs three bowls, sometimes he’ll swallow one or two nibbles, and then look mournfully at our plates. Once, when he left him with my parents for three days, he wouldn’t eat for 48 hours! He was so pissed at us for leaving him behind. :-)

21. Kristin S. says

Annie, my beagle, will eat anything (non-food items included)! She seemed to never get full and would literally drag her food bowl across the house demanding more. After a ton of research, I started feeding her Wellness Core. It’s an awesome grain-free food with lots of protein. She loves it and it fills her up!

Our italian mastiff, King, eats about 3+ cups a day, plus some added “enticers”(i.e. chicken, juices from what I cook, etc. I created a spoiled dog, I know.). But he eats 90% of his food at night. I think he likes to eat with us. :)

23. Lisa says

Our bulldog, Tortuga, eats every meal like she’s never seen food in her life. You’d think we never feed her based on the way she scarfs down breakfast and dinner. We feed her a gluten/grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, and chicken-free diet because of all the allergies bulldogs are prone to, but luckily there are plenty of products on the market to fill that niche! It is hard at the park or walking in the neighborhood when we have to turn down treats because we don’t know what’s in them, and we have to literally drag her away.

That’s the same food that we feed my pup :) Our girl is definitely a picky eater, and even though she has access to food 24/7, she’ll usually just grab a mouthful here and there throughout the course of the day rather than eat everything all at once. Her appetite is never missing when it comes to human food though :)

My dog wants to eat everyone’s food except hers for the most part. We feed her when we get home from work, but she usually eats her dinner after we are done eating and she doesn’t think she’s going to get anything from us, hehe.

26. Angela Gray says

We have an adorable lab/springier/basset mix (looks like a lab/springier with about 5 inch legs!) Anyways, she would eat forever if we let her. She knows where all the food dishes are in our friends and families houses! We feed her Canidae dog food that we get from our vet and she loves it!

We feed our wiener dog puppy food still too, even though he’s 8 years old. He also has access to his food 24/7, but he’s just like Sadie- feast or famine. He can go a day without eating, but then he will eat 4 bowls of food in one day… He’s a silly little guy! However, if you’re offering people food, he will eat until he explodes.

We just adopted a Husky/Shepherd mix and are also feeding him Orijen! It can be a little tricky to find but luckily we just moved and our new pet store carries it. Jake has the opposite problem as Sadie and came to us a little overweight, but a few times since we adopted him he wanted nothing to do with his food — it’s as if he knew he needed to lose a few! That’s changed since he started running with me…Now he can’t get enough :)

My little Shih Tzu, Louie, is finally getting the hang of eating. We literally had to feed him one kibble at a time (by HAND) when we first brought him home, just to get some food in him. He would not eat out of the bowl! Then we tried putting it on the floor, which worked a little better, but that was gross. So finally we settled on a little saucer plate. Now he eats out of that all by himself. When I bought him they scared me to death with the hypoglycemia thing, so I was always so worried he wasn’t eating enough. Nice to be done with all of that! New problem, chewing on the baseboards! 😉

30. Nicole Harman says

My german shepard/husky mix Athena used to just graze and care less about her food until we got Juno our little lab (notorious for eating anything in sight-and she definitely lives up to the breed) then Athena HAD to gaurd her food with her life so now she eats as fast as Juno does.

Roo, my vizsla, is always ready to eat! I give her Royal Canin and she LOVES it! I had to buy one of those special bowls that slows her down because she was scarfing too fast!

32. Deanne says

My two cats eat Orijen!!! So glad you are on the Orijen/Ancana bandwagon. All the chicken and eggs are grown in my area. When I drive past a farm I always wonder if they are chickens/eggs bound for Orijen. I like that they are independent meaning that they run thier own plant instead of outsourcing. It keeps us and our pets safe from mass recalls and contamination. They also pick the best ingredients (Aka BC Fraser Valley Chicken and Eggs). We did a lot of research on food before picking Orijen and our cats love it. We joke that they get a better variety of food in Orijen than we do. They have gotten so picky since we switched them to it and refuse to eat anything but. They also have the most soft and shiny coats now. One day I may have to make Trouble into a scarf or mittens (I joke, maybe).

• Deanne says

Weird. Just checked and online it says the chicken/egg is Alberta sourced. Pretty sure at least when we started buying Orijen a few years ago it was from the Fraser Valley. That’s ok though, means chickens aren’t shipped so far.

33. Kristin says

We rescued a GSP/Lab mix in the Fall and you would think each time I fed her that I haven’t fed her in DAYS! She eats her food so fast, I had to get her one of those slow-feeding bowls. If I left her food out, she would surely eat herself into a food coma.

34. Dee says

Our meagle, Bailey, is a food disposal! He just loves fruits (apples and oranges) and gets into everything! If we ever happen to have a bag hanging off the counter, he’ll jump at it until he gets it. He’s eaten a can of wasabi almonds (no idea how he got it open) and a deep dish pizza before! We’ve even come home to seeing wrappers on the floor which he picked from the trash can and licked clean, and also a bag of flaxseed all over the carpet because he decided he wanted some extra fiber.. Whatta rascal!

35. Stephanie Clement says

Hi Julie!

I am SO SO glad that you were able to bring in Sadie when you did! I am a new puppy owner and I too find myself WAY overprotective. I brought Ruby in the other week just because I thought I saw a balding spot on her back (if you watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, you’ll know why, one of the dogs has alopecia!). Anyways our very sweet vet actually laughed (in a kind, non-pedantic way) and told me it was just a “cow lick”! I thought to myself that I’d never overreact, but your post made me think that I’d rather be safe than sorry!

Rubix Cube (Ruby) is one weiiiiird eater!!! She loves kibble…any kind! But she won’t even touch a doggie treat. We’ve tried them all. Her favorite foods include, but are not limited to: chicken, carrots, bananas, cucumbers, wine (?!…she will STEAL sips from my glass! drives me crazy that I cant stop it!!), spinach, organic goldfish, and any and ALL underwear…well, preferable if DIRTY! Oh…..and poop. :(

Take care & have a great rest of the week! Also good luck with your new personal training adventure!

36. Carol says

Two dogs seven year old lab that would eat anything, and A twelve year old rot/shepard mix that is very picky, there are even some treats she will spit back out.

37. Emily says

My family’s chorkie (half chihuahua half yorkie) Maisy is a tiny little thing, and some days she’ll only eat a bite of her food (the vet told us that small dogs can go a couple of days without eating as long as they’re hydrated). We also have cats, who eat much more flavorful food as they’re SUPPOSED to be the pickier animal. However, Maisy goes CRAZY over the cat food, and will do her best to even have a nibble of the cat food as if she’s been starved.. all the while ignoring her food which has been sitting out all day.

Butters ate like a bird for the first year or so in which he was in our house. He was sick all the time and we figured that’s why his previous owner got rid of him and put him out on the streets. We tried EVERY type of food that’s out there but nothing worked. A vet tech then suggested that we try a grain-free food, so we did and all of his dietary issues immediately went away. Now he eats like a horse, has plenty of energy, and oftentimes finishes his food before I’m able to walk to the kitchen to get his water!

39. Krista says

Same boat! My baby Milo is the worst eater and has tons of tummy troubles! We do blue buffalo puppy to keep him from getting skinny and we cook beef or chicken. He’s got us trained!

My dogs are ravenous eaters. They are two big huge labs who will eat just about anything. The bigger of the two, Alfie, actually got into some trouble last week after swallowing a big wool sock. He had an obstruction and had to have emergency surgery. All is well now though!

When it is meal time, which is twice daily for them, they basically stalk their bowls until a member of the family feeds them. We call it “chow time.” As soon as they hear those words they just lose their minds and begin running around frantically and making strange primal sounding noises. Those beasts, I tell ya!

Our Rhodesian Ridgeback mix used to eat like my old ridgeback (from when I was growing up) which was in 30 seconds or less. Since our pup has gotten a little older, now she takes her time a bit more and doesn’t steal other food from dogs we’re watching. It was pretty cute to see her go nuts every morning when she heard food going into her dish though!

I have a Weimaraner named Bailey ( they are very skinny hunting dogs also). Bailey used to be the same way as Sadie. Super skinny, very picky, and would go a whole day without eating. I used to free feed her, leave food out all the time thinking this would help her eat better. One day my vet (who mainly deals with hunting dogs) said I should feed her, leave it there for 15 minutes then if she doesn’t eat, pick the bowl up and put it away. Then repeat the same thing a couple hours later or if at night, try the next morning. I started doing this and now she is on a great schedule, she gained weight, and eats her food every night without a problem. I am not sure why it worked but it did.

our pup is definitely a grazer — she can sometimes go a day or two with barely eating and she is not one to rush to eat when she gets new food (it is left out all day/night for her)

Dobby is a horrid eater! We FINALLY have a food he will eat that he isn’t allergic to. We tried orijen at the recommendation of my vet but he went on a multi day food strike. So he’s also back to his puppy food (wellness) salmon only. As for treats all I can beg him to eat are: carrots and watermelon. My dog is defective

45. Sara says

Two dogs. One lives for meal time. Starts crying and whining a half hour before dinner every day! Other one will smell his food then walk away. Or take a small bite and walk away. One guess as to which dog is scrawny and which has “more to love”

46. brittany says

I have 7 dogs….4 small (2 yorkies and 2 poms) and 3 large (2 labs and 1 german shepard mix). In my experience, the males tend to eat less than the females, but with the exception of our labs, they too have periods where its a free for all at the food bin or they could care less that it even exists. I guess they are just very intuitive with their dietary needs!

ohhh myyy does our cat know how to eat!!! Actually, it’s a little sad because we try to control the way he eats and all but it’s close to impossible. He’s obese and has a problem with eating tooo much, especially when he has certain emotions running through him–almost like binge eating all day & night. :( It’s so crazy because it all started from his kittenhood! He was badly neglected by his owners as they were drug addicts and had many issues, so the minute that my husband got to keep him and fed him his first bowl in a long time, he always ate till his tummy had a literal golf ball inside! It’s comical but if you think about the effects, animals can be diabetic just like humans, yikes.

My vizsla is the same way. Some days she won’t eat all, even though I give her food. However, tonight…she cleaned her bowl and then went over to our lab’s bowl and tried to finish his food. I usually put a little yogurt in her food if she’s being too picky and that seems to entice her to chow down. :)

49. Karlee says

We have a flat coat retriever and she loves to eat :) I wake up before my fiancé and sometimes she tries to trick us into both feeding her!

That sounds like our April. She’s not food motivated (unless it’s the good stuff like chicken or bacon). Her food sits out all day. She does enjoy the bit of pumpkin that we’ve started adding to her food to “solidify” things.

51. Dione says

Wow I just read that Orijen food is made in Morinville Alberta, not far from my parents and also where my sister lives (I live in Edmonton, so it is just outside the city.). I don’t have a pet but I will certainly buy it if I ever do get one…I love to buy local products if I can and it sounds super high quality.

I have literally never encountered a dog who loves food as much as Irie, my black lab! He’s almost nine years old but still freaks out and runs in circles every single time he’s fed… you’d think I starve him. While he’s waiting for me to pour his food into his dish, he does this hilarious little dance where he pops up and down on his front paws with the goofiest grin on his face. Having a dog is endlessly amusing, isn’t it? :)

That water sounds really good! Bentley my goldendoodle is a huge eater! I think he would eat his 50lb pag of dog food in one sitting if I let him. I have a lot of friends who live in Ocala (horseback riders) any recommendations on where they would buy tickets if they were interested in Taste of Ocala?

I feed my dog Orijen too, but the poultry & fish version (blue bag – adult). She loves it & is a pretty good eater, so I always have to measure out exactly the right amount since I don’t want her to put any weight on. Orijen is a pricey food, but so worth it, IMO! 😉

We have 3 dogs! A lab mix, a chow lab mix and a great dane. We like to say we have dogs in small, medium, and large! The Dane can EAT! You have to stay in the kitchen when you feed the dogs of she will eat all of it and still want more! We just started our dogs on “Buffalo Blue” dog food, and our dogs love it! It has such better stuff in it and we have noticed positive changes in our babies. I highly recommend it! (Though I feel like our Petsmart bill is as much as our grocery bill! haha!)

56. Samantha says

Oh the strawberry festival, how I love thee! I’ve been several times, each time eating way too much junk food! I have to say my favorite is the fried cookie dough, so amazing.

I haven’t checked the concert lineup for this year yet, but a few years ago I saw Sugarland there. It was really awesome and free! ( I just sat in the general open seating, that’s where the free seats are!) hope you can make it this year!

Um, obviously I am in love with my little pup Leroy. He’s got access to his food all day and he’s very good at maintaining his shape;) After reading this post I am in deep need of chicken sausage and peppers for lunch tomorrow.

58. Jordan L. says

I have a dachshund who can eat like an 80lb dog. My boyfriend and I joke that she lives for 7am and 5pm- her feeding times! We can’t leave food out for her or her belly would drag the ground. We actually can’t leave food out on the kitchen counters, because due to the open kitchen/living area she can scale her way to the counters via the couch and half wall. After she got into our stash of dark chocolate (talk about dog mom heart attack!), it was apparent all food had to be in the cabinets. Can’t blame the girl for liking to eat!

We feed our dog Tank the same brand too. The grain free adult dog food is awesome since Tank has to be on a gluten free diet (Otherwise he gets all rashy and itches like crazy!). He gets two cups of food twice a day because if we left food out for him all day he’d end up the size of a tank i’m sure.

I’ll be pup sitting this weekend, and I’m praying the little princesses eat. The are very spoiled and picky, however kangaroo pooh rates surprisingly high in their opinion.

61. Jenny says

I have a vizsla as well and we feed her Orijen. She is a ‘feast or famine’ type of eater as well. It is crazy because they have so much energy and run a lot, but she never has a huge appetite.

Well since my puppy could probably be a snack for your dog :) he probably doesn’t eat a quarter of the amount of your adorable girl…we joke though that he thinks he’s a 100lb lab for how much he would like to eat!

We have a 1 year old chocolate lab (named Sadie too!) and she’s a BIG eater. She wolfs down her dog food and would probably eat the whole bag if we didn’t keep it in a cupboard haha. Typical lab. She also loves carrots, apples, banans, broccoli, nut butters….basically any food.

I have a black pug (Rango) and he’s a little porker! He’ll eat and eat and never stops. But our boxer (Jake) is kind of like Sadie. So on Jake’s “famine” days I feel bad putting the bowls up in case he DOES want to eat, but if I leave them down I’m afraid Rango will tank out from too much food. ha ha Sometimes I think raising my daughter is easier than these dogs! :-)

65. Jade says

Seeing the link for the Orijen is funny as a few years ago, we would give our puppy that and she really enjoyed it, but as the bag began to deplete we went and searched so many stores/vet places for it and NOBODY had it. It is even funnier as when I looked at the link, it is a Canadian product (I am Canadian) and it is made in Edmonton (where I live…..) strange that a ‘local’ product was no where to be found! We have since switched brands but maybe there was a time where they just didn’t have production.

Bails is kinda like that too! I have her on a feeding schedule though, so if she doesn’t eat the food gets taken up. Sometimes she gobbles up her whole meal in (sub) 30 seconds; sometimes she only eats a few bites. It’s usually breakfast that she neglects so if she doesn’t eat it all then, I try giving it to her again at lunch. And if she still doesn’t eat, I just give her extra food at dinner. :]

Our 1 year old dog is just like Sadie – some days she CHOWS on her food, and other days she just puts her nose up and ignores it. We started only leaving it out for 20-30 minutes in the morning and again at night because we want her to realize that it’s time for her to eat when we say it is (that’s what the vet has suggested at least). You put a plate of food in front of me, and I’ll most likely eat it! Sometimes dogs are so strange. :)

68. Melissa says

My pup, Reggie is just like Sadie too! Some days he gobbles it up, other days he’s a grazer. We like to say he is watching his figure. He is a rescue but looks like a pitbull/boxer/pointer, but is very long and lean and I think has a lot of traits as a viscla. I always say my next dog will be a viscla although I hope that day never comes :)

He is also not motivated by food. He does love his treats, but if I’m not ready to take him to the park and he really wants to go, he’ll snub his nose to the treats and won’t eat them until I take him to the park, what a weirdo!

69. Tamara says

I can’t believe you have orijen in Florida. It is from Alberta Canada, where live. We buy Ancana for our Dachshund it is made by orijen. Orijen bit to high in protein for our guy, bathroom issues, Ancana works great and same great quality ingredients.