Machu Picchu

Whenever I told people that I was going to visit Machu Picchu, those who had already been to the amazing Inca ruins always said the same thing. “The pictures don’t even begin to do it justice.”

Machu Picchu Vacation (2)

I couldn’t agree more.

Machu Picchu

Though stunning in photographs, Machu Picchu takes your breath away in person. By the end of the day, we all said we felt like a broken record because we couldn’t stop commenting on the majesty of the ruins. They truly are incredible.

Our day at Machu Picchu began before dawn. We ate breakfast at our hotel before catching one of the first buses up to the ruins.

We had a wonderful guide named Victor for our first two and a half hours at the ruins. Though our tour was obviously in English, I loved listening to Victor speak Quecha, the language of the Inca, to other guides.

IMG_0864

Victor did a fantastic job guiding us around and sharing information with our small group about the incredible place. He began the tour by explaining four popular theories that exist that seek to explain why the city was built.

DSC_0791-001

I found the story of the discovery of Machu Picchu interesting as well. Hiram Bingham, a Yale architect, cleared the site in 1911 after locals led him to the ruins and he understood its importance.  Now it is one of the most phenomenal examples of architecture integrating with landscape in the world.

DSC_0842

If a trip to Machu Picchu is on your travel bucket list, I highly recommend arriving first thing in the morning. We were able to watch the sun rise over the mountains and enjoy the quiet, peaceful energy of the place before it started bustling with tourists.

DSC_0843

Family Trip to Machu Picchu

Victor’s tour was extremely informative and, as always, I had a ton of questions. He was able to answer every single one and I loved learning about the history surrounding Machu Picchu.

IMG_0886

As we walked around the ruins, Victor pointed out important highlights, including the only door that led into the city.

IMG_0878

The door, known as the Main Gate, was sealed at night to keep invaders and large, dangerous animals out of the city.

DSC_0948

IMG_0885

The Temple of the Sun was one of the most impressive sights at the ruins.

Temple of the Sun Machu Picchu

The temple was built with only two windows. One faced sunrise during the December solstice and the other faced sunrise during the June solstice, creating rays of light that entered the temple on these sacred days.

Though Victor told us that the llamas inside of Machu Picchu were there for tourists and not for accuracy purposes, my mom, sister and I still loved seeing them wandering around and made sure to snap a few pictures. They were fearless and came right up to tourists, though there was a rope holding them back from walking all over the ruins.

DSC_0929

By mid-morning, our time with Victor came to a close and after thanking him, Ryan, my dad, Leslie, Ross and I headed off to do some hiking. (My mom has a stress fracture in her foot, so she was smart and opted out.)

We set off on the Inti Punku (Sun Gate) trail which took us up to a site with incredible views of the mountains and Machu Picchu.

IMG_0890

DSC_0984

It took us about 35 minutes to climb to the top.

DSC_1007

DSC_1075

I was afraid it would be a really intense hike (the altitude really gets to ya!) and, at times, all of the steps left me feeling quite breathless, but it was definitely manageable and we had a great time. Our hike on the Inti Punku trail was my favorite part of the day!

IMG_0894

DSC_1088

As if the views from the top weren’t enough, the stone structure at the end of the top of the mountain provided a great resting place where other hikers stopped for lunch. It was gorgeous!

DSC_1039

DSC_1042

Following the Sun Gate trail hike, Ryan, my dad and I decided to do a second, shorter hike to the Inca drawbridge.

IMG_0901

The hike was easier than our first hike, but scarier! The trail looked right over the edge of the mountain and if I glanced over the side, I felt a bit dizzy. It’s definitely not the hike to do if you’re scared of heights!

IMG_0906

After our hike, we boarded the buses and headed back down the mountain and spent the rest of the day in Aguas Calientes before heading back to Cusco for the night.

Our day at Machu Picchu was absolutely unforgettable. I will treasure the time we spent together at the ruins for the rest of my life. It was incredible!

Comments

Wow – just that first picture itself is amazing. Almost looks like a fake background because it looks so perfect! I remember going to a mountain town in WA and there were these glorious mountains in the background photos. Those hardly looked real either. What a gorgeous day for exploring Machu Picchu! What is the weather like around there this time of year?

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!! These pics are STUNNING!! I am so excited to plan a trip here.

If you do a follow up post, could you please list how you put all of your tours and stuff together? That’s the part that holds me back the most is not knowing how to coordinate something like that out of the country. Websites or anything that helped you guys plan such an amazing trip would be great!

It seriously looks like you photoshopped yourself into that picture haha. It’s just too gorgeous there!
    I’ve heard such amazing things from my Mom about Machu Picchu and now I really want to go.

4. Holly says

Wow!! What amazing splendor!! You’re pics and commentary have inspired me to put machu pichu on my bucket list, oh first I have to have a bucket list, LOL!! Definitely doing this someday before I’m too old and out of shape! I love that you did it with your folks, that was inspiring also!!

5. hayley says

Memories! I lived in Lima in 6th grade and got to take 2 different trips down to Cuzco and the like. Would love to go back and take my husband. Glad you are enjoying the trip!

6. Pamela says

I would also love to have thoughts on how you planned your trip, good resources, etc. Peru is on my bucket list and has been for some time. Just beautiful…thank you for sharing

Your photos are breathe taking! Machu Picchu was not on my bucket list, but now is for sure, the photos you have taken show off the beauty and make the place seem so magical :-) sending you more beautiful journies love + shine Courtsytar

8. Sarah says

Wow!! What gorgeous landscape! How cool that you get to go out there… definitely on my to-do list. And the upside on the altitude: when you get back to Florida, those workouts will seem a lot easier for a while! Your red blood cell count will be through the roof. :)

9. Caitlin says

Those pictures are amazing! I have never thought about visiting Machu Pitchu but it is now definitely on my list. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

10. Carli says

these pictures are amazing! did you book the trip through a group? I saw a deal to Peru with tours to machu pichu on livingsocial and am seriously thinking about buying, but would love to know who you and your family used to book your trip.

have an amazing time on the rest of your vacation :)

11. Alison says

That looks absolutely spectacular!!! I would definitely love to visit Machu Picchu one day! Great view AND great exercise 😉

12. april says

wow, your pictures are stunning! i can imagine that it truly is even more breathtaking in person. visiting machu picchu is officially on my bucket list!

AMAZING PICS!!! Looks like you’re having an incredible trip!!! Random question..are you wearing your nike free’s? Thought I spotted them I was wondering how you’re finding them with all the hiking and walking?

Machu Picchu just moved up even higher on my travel bucket list! Those hikes look like a ton of fun. Thanks for the tip about going first thing in the morning. Where did you guys find your awesome tour guide? Would be great to know for a future trip – thanks!

15. Amanda says

I’m currently reading “The Sunflower” by James Patterson, and it talks about ALL the places you are visiting!! It’s awesome to put pictures with words! And it’s a good read too!

These pictures are so beautiful! I would LOVE to go on a trip like this. Back in college I took an ancient Greek art class and spent 7 days in Greece and it was by far one of the best things I’ve ever done. This post just made me giddy and excited because as I was reading your stories and looking at your photos I remembered exactly how I felt seeing amazing sights like this on my trip 5 years ago. Thanks for the reminder to do more traveling!

17. Courtney! says

We went last July and it is truly incredible. Reading about your trip has caused major adventure envy. I’ve been scrolling through all my Peru pictures for the past hour. I need to plan my next trip stat!

Awesome pics! I went to Machu Picchu in 2005. We did the 4 day, 26 mile trek across the Inca trail. One of the hardest and most rewarding things I’ve ever done. Hope you are having a great time and have a pisco sour if you haven’t already!

19. Rosanna says

Hey! I love your pictures from Machu Picchu & what you did sounded great – i’m currently planning a trip there myself for this August – me & 3 other girls – and we are struggling to get it sorted & booked up. It’s so hard to know which trip to choose! I was wondering if you could tell me who you booked with or just any tips for visiting Peru? It would be sSO helpful and so greatly appreciated!
    Thanks :)
    Rosanna

20. Rayna says

Hi Julie!

I love your blog! My husband and I toured Italy last week and all of your older Italy posts were filled with helpful hints. Thank you. Now, seeing your present posts, I’m ready for another vacation. You have a beautiful family and the sights look breathtaking. I can’t wait to see more. Safe travels!

This is so incredible!! I would love to travel there someday! And the hike you did to the drawbridge looks like so much fun!

It’s so frustrating when pictures don’t even come close to doing the real thing justice!

22. Caitlin Jean says

I saw Machu Picchu totally different from you and your pictures. The day we arrived after the hiking the Inca Trail, it was 100% cloudy with 100% mist. It was extremely magical, with the ruins peaking out every now and then.

You say the pictures don’t even begin to do it justice. Yet the pictures are absolutely stunning. I could only imagine what an absolutely amazing experience this would have been. Thankyou so much for sharing it :)

24. Brittany says

That looks so beautiful! I like how Ryan and your sister’s boyfriend have matching shirts! Sounds like you are all having a wonderful family vacation!

25. Pam says

Hi Julie! Love your blog! I’m in the final stages of planning my trip to Macchu Picchu w/ my boyfriend and wanted to get some advice. Which hotels did you stay in Cusco and Aguas Calientes? We are also staying in Ollantaytambo…can’t wait! Seeing your pictures makes me even more excited!

26. Vivian says

This looks awesome, I have so many questions! Did you do a tour? Was there any camping involved? Were you active hiking/walking every day? A lot of the tours I’ve seen for Macchu Picchu either have little leg work or too much camping. I like the multitude of hiking, but love the idea of running water and A/C at the end of the day. The ones that don’t have any hiking seem to drive you everywhere with the walking limited to your own exploring, rather than the typical hike to the top and enjoy the view type of hiking I enjoy. Looks AMAZING. I really want to go!

27. Nikki says

Hi Julie! My family and I are planning to visit Machu Picchu over Labor Day of this year. Do you have any travel agents/ tour companies you recommend? Thanks!

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit ths site, for the reason that i wish for
    enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page conations in fact fastidious
    funny material too.

Hi Julie!
    I’ve been reading your blog for a few years and love seeing all of your travel! My husband and I are planning a trip to Peru this fall and I was just wondering how you booked your Machu Picchu guide. Thanks so much!

Hi! Did you use a specific tour company when you went to Peru? I’m looking into a December trip with my dad but he is 62 and I’m fearful that he can’t to do a long hike/camp. Thanks!