Naked Christmas Tree

Remember when I said Ryan and I were going to decorate our Christmas tree one night a week ago? Well, that never happened.

tree decorations

We decorated our house and put the tree up, but our tree is still totally naked with the exception of the lights that were already on our pre-lit fake Christmas tree. I feel a bit like Scrooge, but I don’t think we’ll have a fully decorated tree this year. As someone who is basically obsessed with all things holiday, I’m not sure how this happened, but since we’re spending Christmas with my family anyway, I’m oddly okay with our somewhat pathetic tree.

Sad Christmas Tree

Yes, only about half of our fake Christmas tree branches have been separated and fluffed. It’s a little sad.

Please tell me some of you guys out there are tree-less or have a severely neglected tree standing up in your home. We should upload those pictures to Instagram.

Workout + Breakfast

This morning, Ryan and I headed to the gym before the sun came up for a workout. After a 10 minute warm up, I did my 1000 rep workout before it was time to head home for breakfast.

My morning meal began with a sliced pear.

sliced pear

Followed by a hot mug of coffee and another egg white and oatmeal protein pancake.

Anthropologie Monogram Mug

egg white protein pancake

That’ll do it!

Now I need to change and head out the door to the gym to teach. See ya this afternoon!

Question of the Morning

• Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, were you on top of holiday decorating this year or are you coming up a little short like we are in our house?

Comments

1. Annie says

I don’t have a tree this year – I’m away this weekend and working christmas eve/christmas day. I’m spending the eve night with my family and there will be a tree there. Then I’m also away for NYE so there wasn’t much point! Plus I have finals this week so …

I live alone in a studio so I don’t decorate. Everyone says I should but I figure I don’t even spend the week of Christmas here (going home to Kansas City on Saturday!) so what’s the point? Christmas music is good enough!

3. Amanda says

Julie! This post makes me feel so much better! Our tree was in its stand, un-decorated for about a week. Monday and Tuesday this week I became determined to get it decorated. So now it is, but I was seriously wondering if it was going to be a naked tree for us too. My husband proclaimed that I “saved Christmas” when he saw I had finished decorating it – haha! I completely understand your position ;) . I think part of the issue was the late Thanksgiving this year. Christmas came so FAST!!

4. Courtney says

I don’t have any Christmas decorations up this year! We are getting married the 28th, and it’s a miracle I have time to look presentable at work everyday! No tree this year, but I do light my tree scented candle and pretend I have one! Oh well.

5. Ashley N. says

Don’t feel bad, at least your tree is standing UP. I woke up to the awful sound of our dog knocking over our tree! Have a Merry Christmas with your family :)

I have a single strand of lights hanging in my kitchen and that’s it. I usually decorate all rooms in my apartment, but this year I just didn’t have it in me. I don’t know if it’s because we have less time before Thanksgiving and Christmas (I refuse to decorate before Thanksgiving!), or what, but I am okay with not having any decorations. Maybe I’ll put out my wintry items and keep them out for January! :)

7. Betsy says

I didn’t even put a tree up this year! I love decorating but we’ll be visiting family most of the time so I didn’t feel like going through the hassle. I do feel guilty though!

8. Kate says

Haha our tree is a prelit fake tree and we never decorated it! The only things we have hanging on there are a few sour patch candy canes and a brand new dog collar for our puppy for his Christmas present. It works ;-)

9. Meghan says

Julie I am so glad you posted about your naked tree. Ours is real and we put the lights on. There is a single ornament on it! A blue B that I just got from anthropologie for our son due in April. Honestly it’s simple, clean and smells great. And I don’t know if I will get to putting on many or any other ornaments on it. I still love the glow of the lights and smell of the tree so I’m happy each night I come home to it! Life is good and with a baby on the way I have a feeling nothing will be done as before, which includes decorating. Merry Christmas!!

10. Sally says

Sigh…I’m without a tree this year:( All of my Christmas decor is in storage in my Dads garage. I sold my house, and haven’t found a new place yet, so in the meantime I’m renting an apartment. There was a week and a half in between when my house closed and when I could get into the apartment, so I moved twice within a 2 week period…to say the least it’s been a BUSY few weeks, and I just have not had the time to even think about decorating for the holidays…I didn’t get my Christmas cards done, and I’ve barely finished my Christmas shopping. Christmas has certainly come quickly this year!

11. Claire says

Hey Julie! I have a MINI tree this year (yes…mini…) and it’s our first engaged Christmas together. I feel like I failed at my “wifely” duties, but hey, I did get SOMETHING up! My fiance was traveling for work to China and Houston, so it’s not like it was that missed anyways! I managed to put a meek 3-4 ornaments on the tree…haha. The problem this year was that Thanksgiving and Christmas were SO close! Work has been busy, and there just hasn’t been enough time! I feel you on this one :-)

12. Lisa says

I was on vacation the first week in December and jumped right back into work when I returned. Between work, unpacking, laundry, ironing, etc. the tree was the last thing on my mind. I’m obsessed with Christmas and have tons of Rubbermaid storage totes for the house with loads of decorations. Well, 90% of the house is decorated and the tree is still not even strung with Christmas lights. It’s on my “better get this done tomorrow or it won’t get done” list. Happy tree trimming!