Lake Dog

Good afternoon!

Today has been so much fun thanks to an afternoon play date with Caitlin and her adorable two-year-old son, Henry.

Caitlin and Henry

I last saw Caitlin at the Heartbreak Hill Half & Festival in Boston, but before that we hung out at her house in Charlotte on the morning of Ryan’s interview (I said Ryan was “grabbing breakfast with a friend” – so sneaky!). Caitlin was kind enough to drive me all over the city we were hoping would become our new home.

Today we met up at a local nature preserve for some fun by the lake with our dogs and sweet Henry!

Tree Dog

(Sadie jumped up there all by herself. Tree dog!)

Caitlin’s dog James hung out on his leash like such a little trooper while Sadie and Henry splashed around in the lake.

James

Henry was such a brave little man in the water. Caitlin took off her socks and shoes to wade in with him and he would hold her hand and say, “Look Mama, I’m swimming” when he was simply standing in the water. It was too cute!

Sadie was all about a big stick she found when we parked ourselves on the beach and we played a billion rounds of fetch while Caitlin and I chatted away.

Lake Dog

Sadie is becoming quite the little lake dog!

After Sadie and I said goodbye to Caitlin, Henry and James, we made our way back to our apartment where I dropped Sadie off before heading back out to grab a quick lunch from Subway.

I ordered a chopped club salad with a side of Sun Chips that I ate in the car on my way home.

Garden Salsa Sun Chips

(The Garden Salsa flavor is the best!)

The chopped salad made me want to buy one of those awesome salad choppers to use at home.

Subway Chopped Salad

I love the way you get a bazillion flavors in every bite of a chopped salad.

Not long after lunch, I was still a little hungry and grabbed a cup of strawberry Greek yogurt topped with a combination of slivered almonds and butter toffee almonds.

Greek Yogurt Almonds

It did the trick!

Questions of the Afternoon

• Dog owners: Is your dog a “water dog?”
  • Mamas: Do your little ones like the water?

Comments

1. Amy @ Run with Perseverance says

My dog isn’t really in to the water. We haven’t ever taken her somewhere where she could just walk in (I’ve tried to get her in a pool, but she gets scared), so we need to try that. I think she’d do better with it!

Looks like you are really settling in! Our dog is completely obsessed with the water. Just walking by it, he pulls to get in! We love it though; it is adorable to watch how happy he is in the water and it wipes him out for the rest of the day – win win!

3. Erica says

The salad looks AMAZING! On day 25 of the Whole 30 challenge. I think that will be my lunch tomorrow. What all do you put on it? No dressing for me, so looking for ideas!

Neither of my dogs are water dogs. Rhett, my Dachshund only has 6 inch legs, so I’ve never even let him try to swim. Reina, my Boxer, jumped off a boat once, not realizing what water was. She freaked and my husband had to pull her out of the water. She has had no interest since. I’m glad Sadie is loving her new home.

I love that pic of Sadie on the Tree! Too Cool! One of my favorite things to watch is dogs playing fetch into a lake or ocean! I love the excitement and how they just stand there looking at you like…”throw it, come on!” I’m a dork. Oh well! Sounds like you guys are having a blast and fitting right in!

6. Chelsea says

I have a Boykin Spaniel named Cooper and he absolutely loves the water! We live in upstate SC so the lake water isn’t very cold and he loves playing fetch and swimming. He has started to recognize the drive to the lake and he can hardly contain himself when he realizes where we’re going.

I have to agree, Garden Salsa is just the best flavor out there! And those almonds!! I got those a couple months ago, actually my boyfriend got them, but I pretty much ate the whole bag without him knowing. Yeah he wasn’t too happy about that haha

8. Jillian says

use a pizza cutter to make a chopped salad! I cut veggies up a bit like you would when normally making a salad then once all together in a bowl take a pizza cutter to it! I love how you get a little taste of everything in every bite.

Our 6 month old puppy, Millie, is a total Lake Dog too! There’s a dog park near us with multiple lakes/ponds, and she just loves it. Like Sadie, she’ll play fetch into the water forever. It’s too cute! Looks like you guys had a terrific day!