Overcoming Fallback Recipe Mode

With such gorgeous weather outside, Ryan and I knew we had to take advantage of the wonderful breeze before the sweltering Florida heat kicks in.

We decided a trip to the dog park was in order and Sadie was more than happy to romp around with a stick the size of her face.

Sadie and Her Stick... Err... Log

Nom, Nom

Clearly Sadie couldn’t get over how fantastic her stick was…

"Oooh Stick, I Love You"

Sadie + Ryan (+ Stick)

Smilin' at the Park

"I'm Just a Love Machine!"

After the park we headed home to make some dinn-ah.

Dinner

I didn’t realize it at the time, but Ryan and I bought three packs of chicken (two packs of breasts and one pack of ground chicken) at the grocery store earlier this week.

Oddly enough, I’m not a huge fan of chicken unless it’s really doctored up in a tasty recipe. It bores me otherwise.

Seeing the numerous chicken packages we had to use this week, my mind went into instant “fallback recipe mode,” and I figured we’d use the chicken in three dishes we make for dinner regularly:

Though they’re delicious, I realized I wasn’t really looking forward to any of these dinners.

That’s no way to live!

A big turning point for me in adopting healthier eating habits was making healthy meals I wanted to eat and couldn’t wait to enjoy.

Before work today, I still had my “fallback recipe” blinders on and threw the ground chicken into the crock pot with taco seasoning and ¾ cup of water to cook on low all day. I figured we’d behaving tacos tonight.

When I thought about dinner on my drive home, I realized I wasn’t in the mood for tacos. I knew I’d just be eating them because they were there and easy.

So, what’s a girl to do? Get creative in the kitchen!

Oh Crock Pot, How I Love You

Instead of using the chicken in tacos, I decided to use it to create taco pasta!

My taco pasta included:

• One serving Carba Nada egg fettuccine noodles
  • 3 ounces ground chicken (prepared in the crock pot with taco seasoning)
  • One Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese wedge
  • 1/2 c. diced portobello mushrooms, sautéed
  • 1/4 c. diced onion, sautéed
  • 1/4 c. corn
  • 1 hard shell taco, crushed

While I cooked the noodles, I sautéed the mushrooms and onion and microwaved the frozen corn.

Onion + Mushrooms

When everything was ready, I drained the noodles and topped them with the veggies, chicken, crumbled hard shell taco and cheese and stirred it all up until everything was taco-tastic!

Taco Pasta

With the Fixins

Fiesta in a Bowl

Close Up

Though tacos are delicious, this meal tasted like victory! I overcame the fallback recipe hump and made myself a dinner I wanted to eat and thoroughly enjoyed.

Dessert

Dessert was simple and simply delicious: Gingersnap cookies.

Gingersnaps

They were a great conclusion to a great meal.

So what about you… Do you ever fall victim to fallback recipes?

Comments

1. Michelle says

your dinner looks AMAZING! I always end up just having the plain old grilled chicken. Thanks to you I’m collecting all these delicious meal ideas!!

Have a great night!

PS LOVE your head band!!

Haha do I? Have you ever noticed the amount of flat bread pizzas and chicken quesadillas that I make? I totally need to stop with the fallback recipes.

I use my fall backs too often for company – because they are tried and true and I have no doubt that they will be good. When it is just me or I try new stuff all the time. But I do get my fair share of FAILS. Glad yours was a winner.

I definitely have fall-back meals…I’m the worst about it at lunch– sometimes I look back and realize that I’ve had veggie burgers for like, five days straight!

AHH you are so creative! i LOVE that scarf on your head in that pic! YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL! it will never get old.
    love that recipe-mmmm i may have to get some of those noodles!

I must ask . . . what is in the crock pot? It looks like a handy-dandy bag of sorts that could possibly prevent me from having to scrub my crock pot :) Is it? I’ve never seen anything like it.

• peanutbutterfingers says

yes! they are phenomenal!!! they’re reynolds crockpot liners & you can buy them at the grocery store by the foil and ziploc baggies. they save SO much clean up time!

7. Vee says

I love your head band! Where did you buy it? I recently started wearing them and I think I’m addicted. :-)
    Oh, that last shot of Sadie is absolutely stunning – the colour, focus and everything!
    Your dinner looks amazing! Yum yum! :-)

• peanutbutterfingers says

thanks! i actually took that headhband from my sister’s “junk drawer” of things she didn’t want anymore several years ago. i have no idea where it’s from! i’m sorry!

8. Paige says

I usually plan out my meals and do one big grocery shop once a month (and just a few quick trips for more fruit, veg, or milk throughout the month). So, every time I plan my meals, I make sure to have the majority of my recipes be things I haven’t made before and then keep a few of my fallback recipes for when I’m too busy to whip up something new. I HAVE to make the new recipes because I already have the ingredients and don’t want to waste them!

That breakfast looks awesome! I’m definitely going to try to tweak it a little into a vegan recipe and have it soon! P.S. I love reading your blog! I even added you to my blog roll today :-)

i am definitely a repeat offender. i need to remember to get creative! i am excited to have my own house so i can have a lot of ingredients on-hand to work with.