French Toast Strips

Have you ever tried French toast sticks? The fried French toast-like sticks they offer at Burger King and often serve at breakfast buffets? Well, they’re pretty darn delicious, but also pretty terrible for you from a nutritional standpoint.

Today I created my own French toast sticks… but they were more like French toast strips. ;)

They tasted nothing like French toast sticks, but were still tasty in their own right and were made with nutritious ingredients. That’s gotta count for something, right?

I made my French toast strips by pulling apart lavash bread (you could also do this with a whole wheat tortilla) and dunking it in a mixture of egg beaters and cinnamon before cooking the strips on the griddle.

Egg Beaters + Cinnamon

While the French toast strips were cooking, I combined 1/4 cup of cottage cheese with 1/4 cup of frozen raspberries and a dash of Almond Breeze almond milk. I used my immersion blender to blend everything together to create a creamy, fruity filling.

Raspberries + Cottage Cheese

Pink!

Once the French toast strips were done, I spread the filling in between the strips, sprinkled them with nutmeg and smothered the strips in syrup.

French Toast Strips

French Toast Strips with Raspberry Filling

The Finishing Touches: Nutmeg + Syrup

I love weekday breakfasts that remind me of weekend breakfasts! They make me happy.

This particular breakfast actually reminded me a lot of my raspberry ricotta stuffed French toast. Deeelish!

Workout

Before breakfast, I headed outside with Sadie for a 5.25 mile run.

On our run we saw lots of baby ducklings and goslings. It’s definitely spring!

The weather in Central Florida is still great for running and I hope it doesn’t get too hot too fast.

What is your ideal temperature?

I think mine is somewhere between 78 and 80 degrees. I like it nice and warm, but not sweltering.

Comments

I love the weather right now, too. High 70s, and it still cools down at night (so we can sleep with the windows open!)

I’ve been doing yoga near the windows in our apartment, and it feels amazing when a nice breeze blows in during a session. Here’s to hoping we keep Florida’s spring weather for as long as possible!

oh! Great french toast recipe! I’ll have to try that. We tend to make a lot of french toast for our 2yo since she loves it. I’ve even went as far as to make the sticks but strips are something new. I’ll try them. Thanks!

OH WOW those look sooo good! And about a million times better than the ones at BK! And 75-80 is perfect for me.. at the moment, here in southern Ontario it’s supposed to get up to a whopping 79 (which is HOT for here!!) and I’m super excited to get outside!
    Have a great day! :)

oh man i used to get those bk strips just about every morning for breakfasta in highschool since it was right on the way to school—dang, miss the good ole days ;)

your picture looks SO pretty~

5. Alison says

Julie, you are so freakin’ creative!! Where do you get your recipe ideas?!? Your breakfast looks DELICIOUS…not to mention, very nutritious! ;)

My ideal temperature is in the high 60s/low 70s. It’s supposed to be in the 80s today, which is a bit too hot for me!

Julie! I just tried Joseph’s Lavash Bread last night (thanks to your blog)!! I cut one of the “breads” in half, then made a little pizza with laughing cow light swiss, tomato sauce, onion, tomato, mushrooms, 1/2 canadian bacon and some turkey pepperoni minis (look them up!). Sounds like a lot but only a little of each. I baked it at 425 for about 10 minutes. YUMBLES! You should try it!!
    P.S. I also tried the carba nada noodles with ground turkey and marinara. The hubs and I would like to thank you as we have officially switched over to carba nada!!

• peanutbutterfingers says

this makes me happy. :) i’m so glad both were a success! isn’t carba nada the jam!? i swear i like it better than normal pasta!

• says

Yes! I actually bought all 4 carba nada flavors since they are the same price at netrition (thanks for that, too). We tried the garlic, which I noticed a slight garlic flavor when I tested the pasta, but not once I threw the tasty toppings on it!