Odd Combo

I opened a can of garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) to use in last night’s dinner and had several servings leftover since I only ate a cup with my salmon and broccoli.

A salad seemed like the easiest way to incorporate the beans into my lunch, so I threw together leftover roasted broccoli, salmon and grape tomatoes and included several handfuls of the beans in the mix.

Salmon + Broc + Chickpeas + Grape Tomatoes

Fishy Veggies

Pink Salmon = Pretty

Simple but tasty!

Lettuce-Free Salad

Side Order

Though this salad was pretty large, I knew I’d feel unsatisfied after lunch if I didn’t include a side of something sweet.

With another cup of garbanzo beans remaining in the can, I decided to toss them in cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and roast them for 25 minutes last night. Inspired by Angela, I topped the cinnamon-roasted beans with Crazy Richards chunky peanut butter and stirred the beans and pb until every last chickpea was covered in the creamy nuttiness.

Cinnamon Peanut Butter Chick Peas

I then popped the cinnamon and peanut butter-covered chickpeas in the fridge overnight and by lunchtime rolled around today, I had a cold, sweet and nutty treat!

"So Check Me Out"

Odd combo? Sure. Tasty combo? Definitely.

Cinnamon Peanut Butter Chickpeas

Ingredients:

• 1 c. canned chickpeas
  • 1 tbsp. peanut butter
  • Cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice to taste

Directions:

• Toss chickpeas with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice until fully coated
  • Roast chickpeas on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray for 15 – 25 minutes at 375 degrees
  • Remove chickpeas from the oven and place them in a bowl
  • Top the chickpeas with the peanut butter and stir until the peanut butter covers all of the cinnamon-roasted chickpeas
  • Enjoy hot or refrigerate for a cold treat
  • (Note: You may want to add honey or maple syrup to the peanut butter before tossing if you desire a sweeter taste, though I thought it was delicious without any sweeter.)

I’ve successfully included peanut butter in both my breakfast and lunch so far today… Let’s see if dinner can complete the trifecta!

Comments

Now that’s an interesting combo! Good idea though for when you have 3/4 of a can of garbanzos still sitting around!
    My dinner will almost definitely be including some PB tonight :-P

Girl, I’m gonna have to try that for a snack. I like my chickpeas roasted with olive oil and salt/pepper. Turn the oven to 375 and bake them until they’re crunchy. Maybe 25 minutes. Spice them any way you like. So good.

How much do you love Garbanzo Beans? I put then in salads, I put them in rice, or just have them in a soup style (my family is Cuban and they love their beans on top of rice – but I try to stay away from rice as much as I can).

I saw this recipe, and after work rushed to make it. Omg it is so so good!! I only took a few bites since I am running out the door for church, but I cant wait to come home to my yummy treat!!

• peanutbutterfingers says

nope! the leftover salmon was flavorful on its own & the roasted broccoli was seasoned w/ garlic salt so it had plenty of flavor w/o any dressing. :)

5. Meghan says

Hi Julie!

My bestest friend, Kari, got me hooked on your blog. I love your new ideas ESPECIALLY this cinnamon pb chick pea recipe looks AWESOME. I can’t wait to try it. I love your new and delicious ideas, it keeps eating healthy a lot tastier and interesting! :)

6. Anonymous says

love your blog, but you used the term egghead wrong. it’s when someone is out of touch with certain realities because they are so involved in their own intellectual interests. it has nothing to do with blonde moments or being dumb.

Chickpeas are such an awesome and satisfying texture that it’s hard to go wrong with them! I never would have thought of this one but I can’t wait to try PB with the beans.

Great idea for a post work out pick me up before a long bike ride home.

We added in some cocoa powder and a tiny bit of vanilla flavoring before we roasted them, and used creamy natural peanutbutter – nom nom nom.

9. Morgan says

So I just discovered your blog about two days ago and while looking through your recipes this really caught my eye!(everything did actually) but I love chickpeas so much! Anyways I made this today and it was soo yummy! I had it warm :) and it’s only about 300 calories! Thank you for this recipe!

10. Leeanna says

Hello! I really hope you answer this. I love the peanut butter chic peas. When they are roasted and done are they supposed to be completely crunchy? Thanks!!