Pumpkin Peanut Butter French Toast

You read right.

P + PB + FT

Pumpkin + Peanut Butter + French Toast = Winning Combination

Last night as I was drifting off to sleep, I thought of this odd combo and had high hopes for a recipe success!

I’ve had a jar of PB2 powdered peanut butter collecting dust in my pantry for a while now, mainly because I typically overlook it in favor of real peanut butter.

As I was trying to think of creative ways to use the jar, a light bulb went off!

What to Do with PB2?

Combine the powdered peanut butter with pumpkin!

To bring PB2 to life, you typically add water, but I figured that by adding pumpkin, the powdered peanut butter would be much thicker and also take on a pumpkin flavor.

PB2 + Pumpkin

I combined 2 tbsp. of PB2 with about a third of a cup of canned pumpkin and stirred up the mixture until it was nice and thick.

I then got to work on the French toast.

Arnold Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins

I dredged one Arnold honey wheat sandwich thin in a mixture of one egg white and 1/2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice.

Dunk-a-Roo!

After cooking the French toast on the griddle, I spread one half with the pumpkin peanut butter and placed thin slices of a ripe peach on the other.

Open Faced P & PB French Toast

After smooshing the two halves together, I dowsed them in syrup and sprinkled the ’em with nutmeg.

Voila!

Chomp!

I couldn’t wait to dig into this bad boy!

A Bite o' Yum

Eat Up, Buttercup!

This breakfast combined many of my different loves: peanut butter, pumpkin, doughy bread, pumpkin pie spice and fresh fruit.

Win!

Workout

Today’s workout included a five mile run with this little one:

Running Buddy

She’s such a good running buddy.

Sadie’s reward for keeping me motivated through our five mile run was licking the container I used to combine the peanut butter and pumpkin.

She was quite a fan.

Pumpkin Peanut Butter French Toast

Ingredients:

• 1/3 c. canned pumpkin
  • 2 tbsp. PB2 (I’m sure regular peanut butter would work as well)
  • 1/2 ripe peach, thinly sliced
  • 1 Arnold sandwich thin
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • Nutmeg, to taste
  • Syrup, to taste

Directions

• Combine PB2 and pumpkin in a bowl and set aside
  • Whisk together egg white and pumpkin pie spice
  • Dredge sandwich thin in egg white mixture
  • Spray a pan or griddle with non-stick cooking spray
  • Cook sandwich thin slices at a medium-high heat until egg mixture is set, flipping once
  • Remove sandwich thins from griddle and spread one half with peanut butter mixture and layer peach slices on the other half
  • Press two halves together and cover in syrup and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired

Comments

Pumpkin and peanut butter, two of my favorites put together, score!! Genius lady, genius :)

Abby is not a good workout buddy, she gets winded after 20 minutes. She will tap my hand with her snout, that’s her signal that she wants to go home. :)

Your breakfasts lately are really amazing!
    I wish I had a dog like Sadie, a run buddy.
    I’m also interested about the food you give to her.
    On my Animal nutrition class, I studied about the nutrition of dogs, so I would like to know how much she eats šŸ˜€

Oh my gosh, such a good recipe! I can’t wait to make this. I don’t have PB2 and it isn’t sold in Canada (I don’t think..) but regular PB will have to do! Have a great day :)

I love PB2 and mix it into all sorts of things. It also works well with greek yogurt for a mouse like dish. It also works well with Almond Milk believe it or not. It just makes it a little more substantial. Love this combo! I need to restock on my PB2.

5. Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice says

I’ve mixed PB2 with applesauce but pumpkin! That sounds like an amazing combo. Definitely something I need to try soon.

I just started to follow your blog a couple of weeks ago and I must admit that I am hooked! I love your recipes!!!

This Pumpkin-Peanut Butter-French Toast looks to die for!!!!!!!! I am going to NEED to try it ASAP!

-Ashley from RunVeggieRun.Wordpress.com

Yum, looks delish! I’ve really wanted to try PB2 but they don’t really sell it around me– maybe I should look online?

I’ve tried FT made with sandwich thins before and it works pretty well! I just made a french toast/ bread pudding muffin recipe the other day, that I will be posting later today- looks very similar, minus the pumpkin, you should give it a try!

PURE GENIUS!! Looks amazing! I always give my doggies special licks if they’re good, too! Last time I made hummus I gave them a lick and they loved it so much they tried eating my spatula!

Amazing idea!!! I’ll have to try making french toast with my sandwich thins! Also, I bet the powdered PB might work well in baking or mixed with greek yogurt…

10. MC says

Not sure if this question has been answered or asked, but do you use self-tanner? I love your glowing tan skin, especially in this particular picture!

Been reading your blog religiously for the last month or so. Really enjoy it. I even tried the curried cauliflower recipe and loved it! My mom doesn’t even like cauliflower but enjoyed it so much that I’m making a batch for dinner today.

Also, your blog is helping me put things into perspective. Although I’m quite active and eat very healthy, I overindulge and don’t always watch my portion sizes (also I’m an emotional eater). Obviously that’s why I’m only 5’2 and in the early 130s! Seeing what and how you eat is really helpful to me. There’s so much I’m realizing from you. I mean of course I knew these things, but I guess I’ve been some how hoping that I can reach 115 pounds and be able to eat more of what I really need.

Oh yeah….and I think your blog might have inspired me to starting lifting at the gym just a few days ago. Before, I would do my cardio at the gym and then lift at home. However, I’d get so lazy and unmotivated and most of the time never get to it. I was just always intimidated to lift near buff men that work out at my gym. Well, this past weekend I got past my fear and decided to start lifting. I’m so glad I got past my fear. I now have access to bigger weights (I had 15 pound dumbbells at home), weighted balls and mats. Lifting at the gym is more motivating because you’re forced to do it and you have people watching you so you wanna show them off haha. Seeing your weight lifting routine and how it’s sculpted your body has really helped me!

So yeah, I’m happy I found your blog. Hopefully it’ll help me as I reach my goal to slim down.

Lastly, you seem like you have a great fiance! He seems like he’s the total package and there’s not a whole lot of guys I’ve seen so far who have what he has.

• peanutbutterfingers says

thank you so much for such a thoughtful comment! i’m excited for your and your interest in healthy living. so glad you liked the cauliflower recipe!

also, about your self tanner question, i do use dove energy glow daily moisturizer, which builds a tan slowly.

11. ytotheummy says

I’ve never had pumpkin, and I want to try it sooo badlyy! I love pumpkin pie and know I would tear it up if I ever got my hands on a can!

12. Geraldine says

So now this week i have to make Phylis’s granola and this amazing French toast. Your amazing recipes are not helping my super sweet tooth – but I love them! I live in the UK and have yet to see canned pumpkin or Arnold Sandwich thins on superamrket shelve so I’ll have to improvise šŸ˜‰

13. Nicole (Picky Nicky) says

Wow, that’s actually a brilliant idea! If we had PB2 here, I’d be making this as I type!
    By the way, I laughed when I read that you thought about this before bed šŸ˜› I guess I’m not the only one who thinks about breakfast as I’m falling asleep!!

gahh this looks awesome! i am OBSESSED with PB2 and literally use it in everything (smoothies, oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt…..) so i can’t believe i never thought to combine it with pumpkin! most definitely doing this tomorrow for breakfast!

15. Lindsay says

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

I tried this…..except I put the PB2/pumpkin mixture between Central Market’s Cinnamon Apple Mini waffles….crazy delicious.