Things to Remember on My Wedding Day

This post is a long one full of wedding rambles, so let’s breeze through lunch!

Lunch today was an apple and Muenster cheese quesadilla, served on a whole-wheat tortilla and warmed up in the microwave in the breakroom at my work.

Wednesday Lunch

On the side I enjoyed a freshly-sliced green pepper for some added nutrients.

Green Peppa

Yay for green!

On to the wedding talk…

Warning: Wedding talk may dominate the blog for the next 10 days. 😀

Things I Want to Remember on My Wedding Day

Last night as Ryan and I were driving to game night at my friend Laurel’s apartment, I turned to him and told him about a mini revelation I had on my run on Tuesday morning.

I feel like I’ve been so wrapped up in the wedding and all of the little details like the menus, programs and bridesmaid gifts that I was almost overlooking the whole point of the wedding… Our marriage!

October 30... Be There!

It seems like there are so many last-minute details that come along with planning a wedding that it’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the big day. My mini revelation made me realize how important it is for me to remember why we’re having a wedding.

This thought really helped me put things into perspective. No matter what happens on our wedding day, it will be perfect because of the reason for the day.

Ever since we got engaged, I told Ryan that the part of our wedding day I am most looking forward is our ceremony and our vows.

Of course I cannot wait to see my friends and family and party the night away, but thinking about holding Ryan’s hands and committing ourselves to each other forever deeply moves me. Ryan and I have put a lot of effort into making our ceremony our own and I cannot wait to see our work come to fruition and hear our pastor read the loving words we’ve selected aloud.

Since I am a planner and a list-maker my nature, I decided to make a list of moments I really want to focus on during our wedding day:

• Getting ready with my bridesmaids: Since many of my best friends live hundreds of miles away, I cannot wait to spend quality time with my friends who have made such a deep impact on my heart.

Friends Since Elementary School

Laurel, My Best Friend and College Roommate

• Putting my dress on with my mom: One of my favorite things about my wedding dress is how much I think it looks like a modern-day version of my mother’s dress. My mom has been with me every step of the way during the whole wedding-planning process (and my life!), and I know watching her zip me in will be an emotional and moving moment.

Mama & Me

• Walking down the aisle with my dad: I think my dad may be the person who is most excited for our wedding, but he is also the person I think will be the most emotional. I want to be sure to treasure the walk down the aisle with him.

Daddy's Girl

• Seeing Ryan for the first time: I get goosebumps just typing this!
  • Saying our vows: I know marriage sounds so romantic, but I am also looking at our marriage as a decision and a commitment. I want to truly feel the vows I say and recognize their importance and realize how lucky I am to be committing myself to such an amazing man.
  • Celebrating with Ryan’s family: I feel very lucky to be marrying into such a warm and welcoming family and am excited to celebrate the merging of two groups of people I love very much.
  • Listening to my sister’s speech as maid of honor: I know whatever my sister says will be perfect. She has a way of conveying such sincerity and loving emotion whenever she speaks and I cannot wait to hear her toast.

Sista, Sista

• Listening to the toasts from Ryan’s best men: Ryan has two wonderful best men with totally different personalities and I cannot wait to hear what they have to say!

One of Ryan's Best Men (Daniel, His Cousin & College Roommate)

• My first dance with my dad: Grab a Kleenex!
  • Dancing and partying with friends: Ryan and I are so lucky to have so many of our friends coming in from out of town to celebrate our big day. I know our friends will be the life of our wedding and I cannot wait to party it up with friends from elementary school, high school and college.

Fun Friends!

• Visiting with family: I cannot wait to catch up with family I haven’t seen in a long time and give BIG hugs to my grandma, aunts and uncles!

I know this post was beyond wordy, but I wanted to get all of my thoughts down so I can really concentrate on taking it all in on the big day. I also know that in all my words I am surely leaving something important out!

And that’s where you come in…

I would LOVE input and advice from you guys about moments I should be sure to take time to cherish on our wedding day.

Feel free to share memories from your wedding or weddings you’ve attended that particularly moved you.

Comments

love this post!!! I am knee deep in wedding planning and you are SO right, the most important part is to stop and realize it. I am SO excited for the moment I walk out and see my fiance standing at the other end of the aisle and we see each other for the first time. It makes me tear up just thinking about it!

As an only child, don’t even get me started on my dad or our father/daughter dance. I think we’ll BOTH be a mess!

• says

it was such an odd moment during my run! i was like ‘whoaaa… wait a second. we’re getting married for a REASON. let’s not forget that!’ it’s so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind. i wanted to remind myself to take it all in and cherish the reason for the day! congrats on your upcoming wedding, marie!

What a lovely post! I went to the wedding of two dear friends this summer, and they did something beautiful (and nontraditional!). Right before the wedding, they took about five minutes alone with each other to just breathe, center themselves, and focus on one another before the craziness of the ceremony and party. While you may be more traditional than they were, I think finding time for you and Ryan to just breathe together and remind yourselves WHY you’re doing all of this–because you love, respect, and are committed to each other–would be lovely. I’m so excited for you! :)

Take a mental snapshot of that quick alone time you two have right after you walk down the aisle after being pronounced husband and wife. That moment where it’s just you two and you are married? Because realllly soon the family and guests all come flooding out the doors, and you will probably not get that many more alone moments that day!

• says

Agreed! This is an amazing moment, a fleeting one, but revel in it! I remember when we first left just the two of us, we just stared at each other and were like “WE’RE MARRIED” — it’s surreal. Nothing feels different but you know everything is different. I just remember embracing and holding each other, and that’s how the photog found us. 😉

What a wonderful post! I remember just going out on the balcony in the cool air and looking through the windows and seeing a huge party going on inside. I was out by myself and that moment was just so cool. Like I was watching it from the outside.

My sister got married in July and it goes by so fast! I know alot of people go around to every table and say hello to everyone. I think thats important to do, but also remember it is your day and you are supposed to enjoy it! So dont let that take up a lot of time! =)

De-lurking for this topic! The best thing that my husband and I did at our wedding was to take a couple of minutes before the ceremony (you could also do this after) to just be alone together. Talking to him really helped calmed my nerves. Plus, our photographer got a really great picture of us in that moment (we were married outside and she took it from a distance).

This post totally brought me back to my wedding day (almost two years ago). I think you selected some really great moments to remember but some of my favorite moments were the ones you couldn’t plan for. My uncle (who gave me away) getting us in trouble at the rehearsal because he was hiding behind a tree, making us laugh. Answering the door to my “room” in just a hoodie only to find the priest on the other side. My bridesmaids forced to huddle around me outside (in December … in Indiana) because my groom needed to make a last-minute bathroom stop.

Just try to be present, live in the moment and have fun. It will never go the way you planned but that’s what makes it so great.

8. jessica says

from someone that just walked down the aisle not too long ago, you really do realize that whatever doesn’t get done doesn’t matter. when that day comes, what’s most important is your time with your new husband and everyone that traveled to be with you. i think what was most amazing to me was the moment the doors opened and i walked down the aisle. people have to remind me that they were there for the ceremony because at that moment, it was just peter and i. i couldnt’ stop looking at him and vice versa. once the priest announced us as husband and wife is when i looked around and realized we were not alone, but celebrating the most joyous part of our life with all our loved ones. cherish this day. everyone says it, but honestly cherish it. you will remember the things you didn’t not plan for and forget about the things that possibly took up so much of your time leading up to the wedding.

congratulations julie. i hope you and ryan have a wonderful day. let the celebration continue!!!

SO EXCITING!!!

I remember at a completely random moment standing in the reception and looking out at the dance floor. It was a rare moment that I had by myself. We had worked so hard to put on the perfect party (like you have been!) and I was so happy to see people dancing and having a great time. What’s great about weddings is that its really one of the only times that people from all corners of your life are together, its really cool. Enjoy your day!!!

This was a beautiful, heartfelt post. I think you covered many of the important points. I have not yet been married myself, but I think one important thing is just to cherish every moment you can and definitely take a few moments for each other. After all, this is YOUR day. :)

11. Angela says

One thing about your wedding: It goes by so fast! Don’t stress too much. I did and I wish I hadn’t. Also, remember to eat something! It’s easy to forget on such an exciting day!

Your list sounds about right. Try really hard to rember the walk down the isle and the joy of seeing your future husband. I was so nervous that I don’t remember anything inbetween starting to walk and stopping at the alter. If it were not for the video that part would be a blur. Watching the video I get a glimpse of what I saw and it is trully amazing to see all those people standing up as you walk in and your man waiting for you to get to him!

13. Joanie says

Like you, I was also looking forward most to our ceremony. Sure the party would be fun, but I couldn’t wait to say my vows and hear my husband say his.

I would say to remember to take time out for the two of you on the special day. After our ceremony, we had someone drop us off at a park and we spent 30 minutes sipping champagne just the two of us (the photographer found us and snapped some of our favorite shots!!). That was one of my favorite moments of the whole day. We prepared to go into the reception together and were glad to have our moment to ourselves.

The other piece of advice I have: don’t worry about anything. The flowers, linens, music, etc don’t matter. I don’t even remember looking at or paying attention to any of these things because I didn’t even care…I was married! That was all that mattered!!

Enjoy your day!!!

14. Caroline says

Focus on your first moments alone together after you exit the ceremony as a married couple. Try to steal a few for yourselves to take in the fact that it’s finally official! There are generally a few between your exit and everyone else’s and then before your entrance to the reception. Also a great time for some really sweet photographs!

Gah Julie you just made me cry!! Those are all WONDERFUL things to pay attention to. Especially the vows. Those need to be carried in your heart from that moment forward because like you said, a wedding is for the marriage and that is a real commitment.

16. Alexis @ Mission: Ambition says

I would definitely echo everyone else in making sure you spend some alone time with Ryan. My husband and I did our pictures before the ceremony and had a “first look” when he saw me for the first time and we were just together out in the field next to our ceremony location. Our photogs got pics of this, but also gave us space to just be together for awhile before jumping into all the other pictures.

Also, remember that once the day starts, just let the details go. You did what you could in planning, don’t get too stressed over the little stuff.

And, most importantly, ENJOY THE DAY!! :)

17. Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries says

This post just made me SO HAPPY. I’m so excited for you. I love the list and that you’re looking at this as a commitment and more than romance. Great perspective! You’re going to be such a beautiful bride. I can’t wait to see!

18. Susan says

having just getting married…last week!!!! (10.10.10). No matter what people tell you it will go by so freakin’ fast, it’s not even funny. my wedding was kind of a weekend affair…it was in Austin, and I live in Dallas, family and friends were coming from NY. And the entire weekend was seriously a blurr. So..my little piece of advice, in all the hustle and bustle (b/c it will be crazy till the second you sit down with your husband (!!!) when it’s all over), try to savor every hour, minute, second, you have with all your family and friends. P.S. I love you blog! :)

I love this post, Julie! I love that you wrote down everything that you are most excited about for your wedding and you are looking forward to the actual marriage to Ryan. I cannot wait to see your wedding pictures. They are going to be beautiful! Good luck with the rest of these next 10 days. I bet they are going to go by so quick! :)

The father-of-the-bride speech was probably my favorite part of my own wedding. I’m an only child and my dad spoke for 17 minutes all while playing his (late) father’s snare drum. (My dad has been a drummer for over 50 years.) It. Was. Amazing. Something I will never forget and I’m so thankful that one of my relatives taped it for us!

Not married yet (7 months from tomorrow). One of the things that I most looking forward to is the anticipation of it the week before and getting ready with my girls. I always loved getting ready for dances them, and the room is always abuzz with excitement. I love the feeling of something ABOUT to happen.

22. Amanda says

Just remember, there will be mistakes, things will go wrong..but in that moment all that matters is the two of you. Enjoy it.. it goes by so fast.
    Take a moment, just the two of you and look around at your reception, and take it all in…these people are there for you…
    its an amazing day!

23. Maddie says

I got married in August and the things you listed are SO important and wonderful! :)

I’d definitely say that walking down the isle with my dad, and seeing my husband waiting for me were two of the most special moments. I was a mess of tears, but I loved it so much.

Taking a minute or five just to yourselves after the ceremony (we stepped away right after the receiving line) is SUCH a great idea (as everyone has been saying). It gives you a minute to share in what has just happened in your own personal and private way. My husband took that time to give me a new camera, already loaded with pictures he’d taken that morning of the set-up that I had missed, since i was getting myself ready. It was such a special moment for us, and I’d definitely make sure you work it in!

And just enjoy every moment. It goes by SO quickly!

24. Katie says

A long time ago, when my parents friends got married, the groom said “With this wing, I thee red” and they get a kick out of telling the story each year we see them. If I was getting married, I’d welcome the moments that seem like they are a mistake, but that make your wedding even more special and a night you’ll always remember, year after year. :)

You are going to be a stunning bride!

The wedding day does go by so incredibly fast. One important thing to focus on is the look on Ryan’s face when he sees you for the first time walking down the aisle. You will be able to see all the love on his face just as I did when I was walking down the aisle when I got married. It’s such an amazing moment.

Also, remember to eat! Hehe. Believe it or not, you can spend so much time mingling with guests during the reception that you miss your own food. Don’t forget to eat!

Julie,
    I am getting married next Saturday,too! Thanks for your post, so sweet. I plan on taking the whole thing moment by moment. My best friend was married this May and her first dance song (with her new hubs) was so quiet, no one could hear it. Instead of getting upset, they were in such a pure state of bliss that they just sang it to eachother as they gazed into eachother’s eyes. It was amazing. Cheers!

We had a super small wedding — family only. I remember when my Mother in law gave me her Grandmother’s ring (with a blue stone) to wear and I just started bawling. I feel so loved by Jason’s family and I was just completely overwhelmed.

You will have a beautiful day Julie! :)

28. angie says

Just remember that all the “small” things that go wrong really don’t matter, don’t let it ruin the “big” day…. I had an outside wedding on his family ranch… it poured 2 hours before, everyone was sweating about it but me… cuz I thought ” oh well I can’t change the weather” It cleared up and was awesome for our wedding. I tried to be just cool and calm about anything that unexpectedly happened that day, no one wants a bridezila! It helped me enjoy the whole day and have lots of fun!

29. Whitney says

Julie,
    I’ve been reading your posts for a few months now…and let me just tell you, I love your cooking/food ideas and how you’re not afraid to try anything! I’ve used a lot of your recipes at home and have gotten several of my friends/family excited too!

Your wedding day will be so special – but something that will come and go and will probably leave you feeling a little hazy. It’s funny how some of the little things that seemed SO important before the big day arrived will seem so trivial after it’s over…

Honestly, I feel like a wedding is the “preview” of the rest of your married lives. On this day, everyone gets to see the love and commitment that you promise to each other and how much fun you guys will have along the way! :)

(My Advice: Marriage won’t always (or ever) be easy, but it should ALWAYS be fun!!)

I think those are all great things that you want to remember… I’ve been married for 4 and a half years, and I can honestly say my wedding was the most fun day of my life. However, it went by SO FAST there are things I barely remember and random things that stick out in my mind. Like some of the people mentioned, there is one moment where they were just by themselves for a moment, or with their spouse, and they just remember the way it felt… that’s how it will be. Little mental snapshots that go through your mind like a slideshow. I would just say – try to remember as much as you can and take it all in, but don’t worry if you don’t feel as emotional about a certain point as you think you “should”, and no matter what happens, just keep the same mentality you have now about the big picture and try not to get too wrapped up in the details. And the part right between the ceremony and the reception when you’re alone for the first time after the vows – we definitely had the “ohmigosh we’re actually MARRIED now?!?!” moment. :)

31. Karen says

One of the best pieces of advice that I received before my wedding, is to take a few minutes after the ceremony, but before the reception, to spend some time together alone to reflect on the ceremony, day, etc. I am so glad I did this at my wedding – after we had just said our vows, it was so nice to have a few quiet minutes together, as a married couple, while everyone else was at the cocktail hour. And then, go have fun with your friends & family! It’s true, the day goes by so fast, so soak it all in and enjoy every single second of it. Congrats!

Hi Julie!

Love this post! :) My husband and I were married a year and half ago–and one of best gifts of advice I received was from my Dad. He said once you turn toward all your friends and family after you’re pronounced husband and wife, take time to just look at all the people who are witnessing your commitment to each other. It’s the neatest thing! All those people there to celebrate the start of your own family…wow-o-wow. :)

33. Sara says

I just celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary earlier this month! We did our family/wedding party photos before the ceremony. My husband and I got a few minutes of time alone together while the photographer was snapping photos of our families since that was when we first saw each other all dressed up. We did our photos of just the two of us after the ceremony and we look so much more relaxed in those. It also gave us some time together before the chaos of the reception started.

It’s true that there will be mistakes and (hopefully) small problems that you just have to smile and go with. My husband’s best man said half his speech before figuring out the mike was not on. None of that stuff matters or is as important as the reason you and your guests are there that day.

Wishing you all the best!

I’m such a nerd…because when I was reading this, I got goosebumps AGAIN! You are pulling on all of my heart strings today with all of the wedding stuff 😀 I love it!!
    I think one of the most important things for me will definitely be the reading of the vows. Although, you know what, I’m kind of thinking of maybe throwing ONE funny vow in there…just to kind of make everyone laugh for a minute in between tears…but I’m not sure that I want to do that. I have heard mixed things. Of course I don’t want all of my vows to be funny, but I think one might be good..??
    And, the father/ daughter dance…can I please confess something? About a month ago I was driving into work & I just started tearing up at the whole father/ daughter dance. I know how emotional my dad & I are going to be. Since I’m his only blood daughter, (I have two step sisters..but I refer to them as my real sisters) I know the two of us are going to be a big mess when the walk down the aisle comes & the dance…but happy tears, of course :)

This is such a sweet and sincere post! I’m not married so I can only imagine how wonderful my wedding day will be, but in my mind there is no way that 2 people who love each other so much and want to spend their lives together could NOT have the most amazing day ever. Congratulations!

A most sincere and loving post…what every bride should be thinking!

I was just married in July. My greatest piece of wisdom is to take really long, deep breaths. I wasn’t nervous, crazed or anything of the like on that day. But breathing and slowing down as much as possible allowed me to soak up every single moment! My breath told me to look around, to smile, to capture as much of these moments as I could!
    It was a wonderful reminder of what the day was about. :)

37. Sarah says

I wish my husband and I had a few minutes to be alone at some point and take everything in. We almost had it after the ceremony, but the photographer did all our “together pictures” afterwards, so even if it was just us, she was around or lurking. I had planned on the ride to the reception being just us, but my husband surprised me with a limo for the whole wedding party, which was nice in it’s own way.

I had a million people tell me the day will fly by and be a complete blur, and I thought I was conscious of that enough to make a point to remember everything, but as someone else posted, you remember the things that weren’t planned. Everything else really is a blur and by the time I got to be alone with my husband we were on our way to a resort for a mini-moon very late at night and we were both exhausted. I wish we could have stolen someone’s camera or video camera and captured our thoughts/feelings right after the wedding so when it all becomes a blur the next day, we could have that to look back on.

I’m sure it will be fun and wonderful and everything you hope it will be and you are right that at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you are married to the man of your dreams!

38. Cheryl says

Right after you sit down for dinner, take a minute to look around the room at all the love surrounding you. Enjoy that moment and make a mental note…each and everyone of those guests came to celebrate you both as you begin your lives as husband and wife.

So great that you are thinking of all this now…

Other things to remember is that this day is about YOU TWO and don’t feel compelled to make rounds or talk to every person. They will find YOU. No worries.

Remember everyone’s smiling face as you walk down the aisle. Listen/watch the handoff from your Dad to Ryan at the altar.

Eat the appetizers too..haha

It’s so amazing to follow you before wedding, and read about all of those wonderful things :) I am happy for you and Ryan, and I’m 100% sure your wedding day will be perfect, as will your future life as a married couple.

P.S I wish my dad could walk me down the aisle :(

41. Jessica says

Try not to spend tooooo much time talking to each and every guest at your wedding reception, and remember to spend lots of time dancing with your hubby! Of course it’s nice to say thank you to everyone, but isn’t that why we write out thank you cards?!?!? I wish I would have relaxed a little more and danced a little more with the hubs and my besties!!! People will come find you to say goodbye if they feel it’s important! Enjoy!! I am so excited for you, like you’re a real-life friend :) haha

42. Kelly says

Keith and I actually took all our pictures before the ceremony so that we wouldn’t leave our guests waiting for an extrememly long time at the reception. So the moment that I will forever love and remember is when Keith and I saw eachother for the first time. We took our pictures in the gardens outside the Temple and he was already out there waiting. The photographer’s assistant didn’t tell me that Keith was there and just told me to walk into the garden and wait for Keith. Keith also didn’t know that I was walking in and so when we saw eachother it was a very raw and honest moment that our photographer was there waiting to capture. That picture is my favorite.

I was a hard-core wedding planner for my wedding–I even had our florist try again on our flowers when the tester he did wasn’t working. However, I didn’t notice any of that on my wedding day. Everything looked great in the photos, but on that day all I thought about was I’M MARRIED!!!

The one thing I wish I made a big effort to do was really look at my husband when i was walking down the aisle. I was so overwhelmed and nervous with everyone looking at me that I think I zoned out. I wish I could have seen his face. Or remembered it.

Goodness, you’re gorgeous.

Ok, that said, my advice is to relax. Things will go wrong. None of that matters. My makeup artist stood me up, my flowers didn’t come in and we had to buy them from the grocery store, my maid of honor’s flight was canceled and she ended up in another part of the state with NO luggage, another friend ended up with no luggage and her suitcase contained all the bridal party t-shirts, the food at my reception was cold because the caterers were over an hour late…

Things go wrong. lol. But, at the end of the day, you marry the man you love and really that’s what makes it perfect anyway.

So just remember to relax and smile and have fun. Love is a joy. The wedding is truly just another day. :)

45. Holly says

I just got married three months ago…My husband and I didn’t want to see each other before the wedding, but there was a picture that I wanted. It was us standing on either side of the door to the “bridal suite”, unable to see each other, but holding hands through a small crack in the door. The photographer was able to capture pictures of both of our faces, and then our hands together. It was at this moment that I became so excited and realized how much I missed him and couldn’t wait to see him at the end of the aisle about thirty minutes from that point. My voice was shaky when I responded to him saying “Hey, babe” which is what he always says, and I became all teary. I will remember that moment as long as I live.
    But like everyone has said, the moments you remember the most are the ones you couldn’t dream up if you tried.. Just enjoy it and never stop smiling!

46. Mellissa says

Remember to have a few minutes together during the day. It goes by so fast!

We had 20 people at our wedding and it was the best decision ever, I got to talk to everyone extensively. No waving hi and moving on. I had a personal and meaningful conversations and I will forever remember that.

47. Adra says

My best piece of advice is advice I was given for my wedding which took place last month. While the reception is going on, it’s easy to get caught up in the momentum of what is going on around you and to get caught up in conversations with your guests. Make sure to steal a few quiet moments with your new hubby during the reception to really take in what is going on around you and to have some romantic moments for yourself. The night will fly by so fast and be such a blur but it will be the best night of your life!!

This has got to be one of my favorite post from you, it seriously made me emotional. Just like you, I want to look forward to these moments too.

I am such a sucker, but I there’s a wedding blog that I like to look at http://www.jackiewonders.com because I feel like her picures captures those moments you described. I guess most wedding photos do! but it takes someone with talent/gifts to convey that in a photo :)

49. Rebecca says

Great advice – to remeber what your wedding is actually about! I’m in the planning process for my wedding 9.10.11 and love your wedding post! thanks! P.S. I’m reading the comments hoping for advice :)

• Kaella says

I’m just re-reading this amazing post and saw this comment. I’m also getting married 9-10-11! I just wanted to say I hope your plans are coming along great…and I know both our days are going to be amazing :)

• Kaella says

I’m getting married at a museum in Lethbridge, Alberta (Canada) where my fiance and I both live. I’m from Vancouver, British Columbia, but I figured it was probably easier to plan in the place we’re getting married :) How about you? 7 months!! YAY!!

50. Natalie says

Sorry to say, I barely remember my day at all. From the moment I walked down the aisle, everything was a blur. I didn’t even see my violinist, the ceremony flowers. I never ate my dinner. There was only 20 people at my wedding and I managed to miss some of the important pictures. I did enjoy getting ready with my girls though. Enjoy being the bride, the center of attention, and make sure that you get tons of pictures and that you have a list of pictures you absolutely have to have, and give it to the photographer. Ask your family to take pictures on their own cameras too. So, when you look back and can barely remember the day, you’ll have photo documentation!

51. Caroline says

I didn’t read through all the comments, but one piece of advice that was given to me for our wedding day, and is part of the Jewish traditions, is to take 10-15 minutes after the ceremony, just the 2 of you, to really take in what just happened and the festivities that are about to happen. Also, BE SURE TO EAT!!! My makeup artist wouldn’t start until I ate my lunch. If you aren’t eating dinner when everyone else is at cocktail hour (do pictures first, get married, eat while everyone does their cocktails, then mingle during their dinner), you’ll thank me, only because you won’t have a moment to eat otherwise.

I really like your blog and glad I came across it. Great way to brighten the day.

Wow this brought a tear to my eye! But I have to admit that it is mostly because I didn’t get so many of those special moments on my wedding day. (And over four years later I still haven’t received my wedding video from my husband’s uncle!)

What I did get was an amazing husband whom I love very dearly. Truly cherish every moment. It goes by so quickly!

53. Christine says

Not married, but there is a moment I find particularly special.

The moment before you are announced at your reception. Your wedding party will have already been presented and you and Ryan will be alone for a brief moment before being introduced as Mr. and Mrs.!

Awwww….this makes me so excited for MY wedding day, and I’m only 20!!! So many great things to look forward to!!

My sis-in-law came to visit me this weekend and we talked about her wedding (she and my brother got married in July). She said that she regrets barely hanging out with him at all during the reception…they were dancing the night away with family members and talking to everyone, so she said she wished she’d made an effort to connect with him, as well as with everyone else!!

Take a moment just the two of you. There will be lots of friends and family to talk to and hang with, but remember this day is for YOU and HIM. I will never forget after the ceremony and all the pictures at the church we were standing outside the reception waiting to be announced and were alone for the first time since our vows. We stalled a bit to cherish that moment before all the hustle and bustle of the reception.

Oh my gosh! You’re making me so wedding excited/happy seriously! I don’t have much advice, don’t get sloppy before the wedding (nothing like a 16 candles incident), enjoy yourself don’t worry about the reception or anything like that! Have others worry for you! AND so enjoy time on the dance floor! People seeing the Bride and Groom having fun, always makes them join in!

AND Yes, remember that it is a marriage, not just a wedding, I think many people forget that now days and I think we need to remember that!

PS I love you in your mothers wedding dress! I actually plan to wear my mothers, which was also my grandmothers! :)

57. carlee says

Wow! I loved this post. I actually thought about that a few days ago about your wedding! Like what the whole point of it was. and you really have a great family coming together! Great things to remember I think you hit the important stuff dead on!
    I soooooo excited!

58. Angela says

I just got married on Sept. 4th so I know how stressed, excited and anxious you must be right now!!! The thing that so many people told me before I got married is that I’d be so busy talking to people that I wouldn’t be able to eat.. drink… or party! SO I made it a point to eat… drink… and be merry! After the wedding I had so many people tell me they could tell how happy and how much fun my husband and I were having at our wedding. The day is about you two and NO one else. So cherish every moment because the day flies by! Congrats and good luck! Love your blog:)!

some others have already said some of this but take mental snapshots. eat. go for a run in the morning if it’ll help you relax (just be careful- no freak accidents on your wedding day!), or skip a day if you’re rushed (since i don’t know the time of your ceremony). we got married at 4:30 so i had a leisurely day. and definitely don’t forget the reason for the day… your MARRIAGE! so happy for you!

So…I have been married for 5 short months, and I am a Wedding Planner…What I can tell you is, do not fret. Do not stress, do not stay up thinking if things will be just right, because no matter what, they will be! Because it is YOUR day (And Ryan’s, FYI My hubby is named Ryan, good choice!)

Just soak in each and every moment as much as you can, because whether you like it or not, the day flies by, and feels like an ooey gooey romantic whirlwind!

Also, do what YOU want to do that day. Whether it is a certain something for breakfast, taking pics somewhere spur of the moment, talking less, dancing more, do it! I danced the night away at our Wedding with my handsome hubby and don’t regret it a second :)

And, lastly, when you can throughout the day, stop, look around…and breathe it all in! I stopped quite a few times that day and just took beautiful mental pictures that will forever be held in my heart <3

I would normally say, I HOPE your day is perfect, but I know it WILL be. Best wishes to you and your (almost) husband! You will be a beautiful Bride :)

I think you’ve got it right!

Getting ready with your girls is one of the best parts!

One piece of advice. I wouldn’t go from table to table. I would just visit some of your older relatives who you might not see on the dance floor. Use the cocktail hour for mingling and then spend the rest of the night having fun!! If you are constantly at each table (and posing for everyone’s camera) you will miss the fun! It goes so fast, so give those beautiful shoes a workout.

Oh and don’t start with the champagne too early. :)

Excellent points! It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the other things that are involved in a wedding and forget about the main purpose. I’m excited for you and your wedding…and for all the wedding details over the next 10 days! :)

I love that you made a list, that is great!! It is so easy to get wrapped up in the hoop-la! Good for you and I’m sure it will be a perfectly magical day for the both of you! :)

YES!!! I am so happy that you realize these things because I swear, the day goes by faster than you will ever imagine. Another thing to try to remember is to look at Ryan’s face whenever he first sees you. OMG this is truly the most incredible moment you will ever have. I can’t even explain how magical this moment is so remember to capture it. :)

Awww, this post brings back so many memories! I totally agree with you on everything you wrote…especially grabbing the kleenex for the dance with Dad. That was a killer!
    If I could offer one piece of advice: Make sure you and Ryan take just 10 minutes to separate yourselves from the festivities, sit back, and just look at what’s around you. Jay and I did this, and it was honestly one of the best moments of the night. Just watching all our friends and family, who were there to celebrate US…it was honestly the most magical moment I’ve ever experienced, not to mention super emotional. Just remember…the day is going to FLY by, so take in every.single.moment.
    I am so beyond excited for you!!! 😀

66. Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) says

I always tell brides to take a moment during the reception to take a look around and absorb everything around you. It goes so fast and you want to see all your hard work and remember every detail. :)

Julie-I’m getting so excited for you! I got married April 2009 and it was perfect. I was such a stressed bride. I wasn’t Bridezilla, I just harbored a lot of my own stress. I really wanted all of the stress to fade away and just be able to enjoy my day. I joked that I didn’t care if my dress caught on fire, I was bound and determined to have a wonderful, stress-free day…and it was just that! My husband and I had the best time. We danced and laughed with friends and family all night long. I still can’t get over how perfect everything seemed to come together. As we were leaving the wedding, my husband and I agreed that it was such a great day, but we were soooooo glad it was over! :) I’ll be thinking of you over these next few days. Best wishes!

On a sentimental note – just absorb every moment you can on your day, but also know you won’t be part of everything. I know I made an effort to thank everyone who came for coming, but there were still people I missed. Also – there will be unexpected moments that pop up that will make your day extra memorable that you won’t expect, so just love it all! I know on my day, my groom surprised me with a song (vocal + guitar) he wrote and sang/ played for me as his wedding gift to me. My dad did a little speech, which I wasn’t entirely expecting – it was supposed to be more of a “thank you for coming” but ended up being so sentimental, talking about our new marriage, his marriage with my mom, our families combining, etc…. lovely! Then there was the impromptu dance three groomsmen put together with N’Sync’s “Bye Bye Bye” — LOL I still laugh when I see the pictures. :)

To continue my wordiness (sorry!) on a less sentimental note, I’m sure you’re already planning on doing this, but just make sure you have someone else who will be the person everyone else can come to with questions. You don’t need to hear questions about the guest who just became vegan two days ago and wants a new entree, or the alcohol issue, or whatever. Let someone else take care of EVERYTHING because NOTHING will matter as much as you two absorbing your day together. (Also, I wouldn’t have the go to person be an immediate fam member — this is a huge day for them, too, and you don’t want them distracted/ bothered, either!)

You are going to be such a beautiful bride, can’t wait to hear and see all about the wedding! xo!

69. Kaella says

I am so happy and excited for you! I’m glad you mentioned something about your mom…because I feel like sometimes (with the walk/dance with your day) mom’s can feel a bit left out. I’m not married…but when I do commit to someone one day, I hope all of these things you listed, are some of my strongest memories as well. Will be thinking of you all next week… as a reader, I’ve followed your journey (engagement, shower, stagette etc) and I just feel as excited for you as I would one of my girlfriends. Ryan and you are so lucky to have each other…. enjoy the moments :)

Julie, this post is amazing! I think what you’re writing is so important and so true. Cherish EVERY moment and really soak it in. You’ve gotten the best advice. I’m so happy for you!

Seeing you so excited and focused on the joy of the future excites me too! I’m still in college but I can’t wait for the day when my boyfriend and I can reach that stage of our life together!

71. Jessica says

Ok I didn’t read all of your comments so forgive me if I repeat things.
    A few pointers/comments from my wedding day experience:
    Look at Ryan you’re whole way down the aisle (but don’t forget to look good and cheese it up!-TONS of people are taking your picture), Take it all in-during our first dance, we would glance around at the room and our families and we kept saying over and over “holy crap, this is OUR wedding, all 300 (yikes!) people are here for US, to celebrate with US!” If you can see the reception room before everyone gets in there, do it-it’s crazy to see all of your hard work put together, sitting there looking beautiful! Make sure you dance and enjoy yourself! You will not be able to eat as much as you want. It will take you 25 minutes to walk from one side of the room to the other because everyone wants to say hi, tell you that you look beautiful, and ask where are you going for your honeymoon? You won’t talk to everyone in the room. You will have a HUSBAND-remember how lucky you are to have someone so great to spend the rest of your life with! Something WILL go wrong-who cares? If you’re there and Ryan is there and you are Mr & Mrs…who cares if the wrong cake topper gets delivered? But at the end of the day…just enjoy, it is the longest day ever from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed, but it will be the quickest damn day of your life and you’ll wish it could last forever.
    Whew that was kind of long-congrats & ENJOY :)

72. Lyndsay says

I have really enjoyed reading your blog the past few months; it always puts a smile on my face! Today’s post was no different – I got engaged a few months ago and this post (and all the comments) have been really awesome to read. It’s great to hear your heartfelt sentiments about this big day and I wish you and Ryan all the best!!

P.S. Can’t wait to see pictures!

Hi :) Not sure I’ve ever commented before but I had to on this one! I just got married this summer and one of the best things I did was to make time during the night to just walk away with my new husband for a few minutes to look each other in the eye, kiss and say “We’re married”! Make it a point to find each other and just be present in between all the celebrating with friends and family. It worked for us!

74. Jessica says

what i love so much about this post is that it reminds me of a journal entry i once made, that just makes you stop and think how amazing your life is at the moment and how blessed you are.
    congrats on your upcoming big day and i hope it is as memorable as you hope. you deserve it!

75. Orla says

I got married in may, and as hard as I tried to slow down and enjoy the day, it was over before I knew it! I’m kind of jealous you, because it really was the greatest day of my life and I’d do *anything* to relive it again!

People seem to have covered off all the good advice but here’s my one regret: we didn’t hire a videographer. The day was such a blur that I really wish I had a video of the ceremony now. On the day I was so nervous about forgetting my vows that I barely remember anything that he or any of our speakers said about us!! And I cried all the way up the aisle and look like a total doof in all those photos, so hold it together if you can!

76. Marie-Sophie says

I got all teary reading your post and then teary-eyed AGAIn when reading all the comments 😉

Such a weird but very wonderful feeling to see someone you kind of follow on a regular basis take such a big step in life on the other side of the world – gives me goosebumps just thinking about it and I am just really excited for the two of you!!

I had two marriages of very close friends this year and I must say although both were wonderful and very unique, one couple tried to be all “mature” and do and say things that they thought people were expecting from them … which wasn’t bad or anything but I felt that the other couple’s wedding was a lot more sincere.
    It was just THEM, it was their day, everything they had planned, everything they did on that day had its unique stamp (without them trying too hard!); the most beautiful moments when you would look at them, having lots of little moments together, soaking things in throughout the WHOLE day!!

So yeah, it may sound a bit weird but just have YOUR special day, soak it all in, don’t think “we should do this now” or “people expect us to do this” – no, everyone just loves to be part of your day and seeing the two of you happy is the biggest thing for everyone :-)

OH – and enjoy the moments BEFORE your wedding day … just as great!

77. Nicole says

Hi Julie,
    First of all, I love your blog! A must read for me every day!

One thing that my husband and I did on our wedding day (that I am extremely glad we did); we walked by every table during our reception and spoke with all the guests. We did this during dinner, I didn’t care if my food was cold by the time I got back to the head table! It allowed us to say hello to everyone that graced us with their presence on the best day of our lives! I knew the night would be a huge blur and I wouldn’t have enough time to speak with everyone there so this allowed us the chance to do that. I felt the reception line when we were greeting the guests as they came into the banquet hall was too rushed.

We also made sure once the party and dancing began, that we moved from group to group, that way we got to dance with EVERYONE! Then at the end of the evening, my husband and I stood up on chairs while the DJ played our favourite song and we sang at the top of our lungs while our family and friends danced around us; a moment we will never forget. The day will be over before you know it, make sure you take in as much as you can; stop, look around and absorb as much as you can!

July 18 was our first anniversary, and it’s still hard to believe after all the planning and stress leading up to the wedding and it’s all over in a flash! I would do it all over again (of course with the same guy) ;). I hope your day is everything you hope it will be! Congratulations!!

Cheers,

Nicole
    -from Canada

78. Vanessa says

How cute!
    You hit the nail on the head when you said no matter what the day will be perfect because of the reason you’re getting married. Everything can go wrong but it will be perfect
    Just remember that and you’ve got it!

79. BrendaBettina says

My wedding is 6days away!! This post is so great to re-read before my big day, it had really helped to put things in perspective and has made me even more excited :) Yah!!

80. Alexandra says

I’m getting married in less than two weeks, and I’ve been looking for inspiration about how to make our wedding more about our marriage than our wedding day. I’ve gotten so sick of pinterest and the wedding shows while planning my wedding because for me, this day is so much more than all the material things. People keep asking me if I’m nervous or freaking out because the day is getting so close. I can honestly say that I am not! I couldn’t be happier to finally be my best friend’s wife and to celebrate our love with our family and friends. Thank you for being one of the few places that I could find that spirit and inspiration!