You Know It’s Cold When…

You know it’s cold when you look outside and see your dog huddled up in the middle of the yard, shivering in front of her toy…

So Cold... But Must... Play... With... Toy...

(Seriously, that’s how she was standing. I thought she was about to pop out a pooper, but this is apparently her “I’m flippin’ freezing” stance.)

You know it’s cold when you bust out your snowflake socks…

Let it Snow!

…And then hide them in your Uggs so no one at work will think you’re a 5-year-old.

Snowflake Sock Hiders

You know it’s cold when your plan to make a Thin Mint protein shake for breakfast is replaced by a less-freezing peanut butter and pear wrap.

PB + P + Pumpkin Pie Spice

Pears 'n' Spice

My Love, Peanut Butter

If you haven’t already guessed it… It’s COLD in Central Flordia today!

I swear I’m not just being a baby. It was in the 40s this morning! It’s hard to believe we were picking out our Christmas tree in shorts last week and now we’re layering clothes.

To be honest, I am thrilled that there is a chill in the air.

I remember the first Christmas my family spent together in Florida after moving from Illinois in 2003. My sister and I had a really hard time wrapping our heads around Christmas lights hanging on trees with leaves. A palm tree strung with twinkling lights!? Something just didn’t seem right.

We were a little sad that Christmas because we were so far away from the friends we grew up with and were still adjusting to our new life in Florida. We went on a walk with my parents that night (wearing only light sweatshirts… no need for a jacket), and picked an orange off a near by tree to share as we walked and talked. Picking an orange off a tree on a walk on December 25 would never happen in Illinois.

Though Florida may not have snow, ice and sledding, we do have winter citrus, Christmas Eve boat rides and can enjoy sunrise church services outside on the pier. Bottom line: The holidays are special no matter where you are. šŸ˜€

Comments

1. Jen says

I’m in Des Plaines, IL right now and it’s cold but this post made me a little warmer. And it made me smile! I think your dog was trying to find a warm patch of sun to stand in. So cute!

Can we trade colds for awhile? I would welcome your cold with open arms! The windchill was SIX degrees this morning. Why do I live in such a frigid state?!?!

3. Kelli says

Hey Julie – do you know you are not supposed to wear socks with Uggs? It says so when u get them and it’s true!! I’ve worn mine on ski trips in the freezing snow & my feet stay nice & cozy. Look it up, it’s true! šŸ™‚

It was 40 this morning in jax. I was huddled in my car, praying my heat would come out faster.

I have heard about the uggs and socks statement too! So weird….

5. Shannon says

I took a nice long walk today and besides slipping on a patch of ice and falling, I found the weather beautiful. Chilly with flurries is better for me any day than so hot my face is melting off and so humid my hair looks like I’ve been riding in a car with my head stuck out the window.

It’s never too cold for a smoothie. Even when if I’m wearing about 10 layers, plus a coat and my heather is cranked all the way up. But I’m crazy…. šŸ˜‰

I live in Orlando as well and I was home for Thanksgiving break. I was SHOCKED to realize that it was too warm to even wear my skinny jeans outside! Up here in Tallahassee it was in the 30’s when I was up at 8 this morning, Brrrrrrr!! šŸ™‚

8. Bonnie says

I had to show my fiance your pics of picking out the tree in shorts last weekend … as a Florida transplant up here in Indiana, it was 22 that day up here. I was like THIS is what it’s supposed to be – to where sometimes the AC blows tinsel off the tree … not frozen doggie paws!

9. Tracy says

How did you tuck your jeans into uggs so neatly!? I’ve very impressed. Your jeans aren’t super tight around the ankles, it looks like there’s a material there and you still tucked it in nicely.

10. Allie @ Healthy Balance, Healthy Life says

Those brussel sprouts look amazing. I love roasted vegetables.

It’s a good thing Sadie doesn’t live up here in Vermont! She wouldn’t know what to do with herself!

I hear ya on the weirdness going from cold Christmas to hot! From the time I was 5 til soph year in college, we went to Sun Valley, Idaho (BEST PLACE EVER) for holiday break…now we go to Hilton Head to visit my aunt/uncle/grandma…it’s so weird to see lights on palm trees fo sho!

12. Kate McIlvride says

You all need to come to Australia where I am!! Summer has just begun. We spend Christmas every year at the beach in bikini’s and shorts and huddled under the air-con!