“T” for the Sick

As the afternoon turned into evening yesterday, my throat began feeling progressively worse.

When I woke up this morning, it was very sore.

I’m not nauseous or puking, but my throat hurts and my body feels tired. With the weather changing from warm to cold every other day, people are coming down with colds left and right.

I’m hoping that by taking the day off work, relaxing and taking care of myself, I’ll feel better soon. Cross your fingers!

Though I wasn’t that hungry this morning (<—what!?), I headed into the kitchen to fix myself a light breakfast anyway since I know food = good.

I know many doctors recommend the “BRAT diet” (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) for sickies, and decided to adhere to the plan and make myself some “T” in the form of a toasted sweet wheat Alternative Bagel. bagel with cran 036I spread cream cheese on both bagel halves and topped one with homemade cranberry sauce. bagel with cran 032bagel with cran 038I ate the whole thing like a champ.

Now it’s time for a little of this…bagel with cran 027With this little one…bagel with cran 031

And now I pose this question for you, to give me inspiration for my next movie selection…

What is your favorite movie to watch when you are feeling under the weather?

Comments

1. Brandy says

Love Actually is a Great sick movie for this time of season, but my favorite anytime movie would have to be Where the heart is….Best movie ever.

2. Alicia says

I love that movie! I like to watch “The Holiday” if its around the season, if not I like to watch this movie called “Picture Perfect” that is a VHS, thats how old it is, and I can only watch at my parents where they have a video player. Hope you feel better, drink tea!

MY FATHER THE HERO, with Katherine Heigl and Gérard Dépardieu. If you haven’t seen it, you’ve been missing out! I have honestly watched it a hundred times and catch something new every time. I had every sorority sister converted after I made them watch it! You’ll love it!

4. Leanne says

That is my absolute favourite Christmas movie (modern day xmas movie I guess!). I watch it every single year and cry tears of happiness lol!

I love watching Bridget Jones’ when I’m sick!

5. Jessica@lifeinthemiddle says

I love watching “Friends” when I’m sick or feeling icky. Chandler always makes me smile no matter how gross I feel! :)

6. Katie Lesmeister says

The Holiday is my favorite! Try some Ginger tea with honey, that seems to help me when I’m feeling under the weather. Feel better!

7. Kathryn says

I agree with all the other posters who have mentioned Friends.. that always makes me feel better!

But I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Ferris Bueller’s Day Off!! That will definitely get you feeling well enough to dance on parade floats!

I need a comedy when I’m feeling blue usually. During the holidays Elf, Christmas Vacation or Home Alone are great. For some reason, I always love to watch Father of the Bride when I’m feeling a bit ill as well.

Ah I have to say – I am kind of jealous! Well okay I guess I did a little of my own sick tv watching and vegging this weekend – but it’s back to work for me today!

Love love actuallY! Enjoy your day “off” with your movie and your girl, hope you feel better soon, Julie!!

Sorry you’re not feeling well, it really is that time of year, so many people getting pre-Christmas colds! I have actually been dying to watch Love Actually and The Family Stone lately, as my Christmas time chick flicks. I love romantic comedies when I am home sick :)

11. Sana says

Feel better!
    any jennifer anniston movie; i love along came polly…also, Fred Claus with Vince Vaughn…I was actually watching it on tv last night. such a cute holiday movie…

Not gonna lie… Twilight movies are always my favorite indulgence on a sick day! I adore Love Actually and am trying to buy it for my mom for Christmas, but would you believe that it’s on back order every where I look?! Apparently a lot of people adore the movie as well!

13. Lisa says

Sorry you are feeling under the weather. I mostly try to find a movie on tv something on Hallmark Channel or Lifetime is always good. I love the movie Love Actually. A former coworker said I had to see it (when it came out on DVD) and I had to see the movie in its entirety (love Colin Firth). Up north we are prone to exactly what you are experiencing now. This year we had a really warm day and then were hit with really cold temps. the next. So naturally everyone starts feeling under the weather. I did the BRAT diet once (never again). My doctor told me to eat everything plain. Yuck. I think Airborne makes throat lozenges and if you can find them try it. I came home from work once with a really bad sore throat and tried one. By that evening my sore throat was nearly gone. Feel better.

I woke up this morning feeling the same way! My throat is sensitive when I swallow or talk, and I’ve had this wheezing cough for days now! Being sick is the worst feeling in the world :( Hope you’re feeling better! A movie that always makes me smile is Bride Wars :) I just love Anne Hathaway & Kate Hudson!

15. Katie says

I just watched “Love Actually” yesterday while cleaning! :) What a great movie!!!

I’d say anything Adam Sandler would be my pick for sick days. :) Right now, I LOVE “Grown Ups”. Hysterical!

16. Shannon says

The BRAT diet is actually for those with gastrointestinal upsets. It’s recommended if you have diarrhea, not a sore throat…..but whatever makes you feel better, I guess!?

• sunshine says

I was going to make the same comment!
      I’ve never heard of BRAT being recommended for anything but gastrointestinal upsets (ie vomiting and diarrhea).
      The best thing for a head cold is homemade chicken noodle soup with broth made from chicken bones, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and potatoes!

• Melissa says

And now the BRAT diet isn’t recommended for GI upset. It’s deficient in protein, fat, calcium, and certain vitamins and minerals.
        People should eat what they can tolerate. A well balanced diet is best so your body is able to fight whatever it is fighting.

17. Vikkie says

I hope you loved the Holiday because I found myself quoting it all day yesterday “You look like my barbie” love actually is also one of my favorites to watch especially right before Christmas. It is somewhere in my wreck of a room and everything I go to look for it i can never find it!

More sick day favorites.
    Titanic, Little Manhattan (if you haven’t seen this get ready to have you heart stolen by a ten year old) and Pleasantville.

I hope you feel better I absolutely love your blog, you turned me to chobani greek yogurt even though the oikos by stonyfield is less calories :)

Happy Sleeping

18. Vanessa says

Sorry you’re under the weather!
    My Mister and I just asked ourselves this question since we were both got sick recently.
    He likes WW2 movies. For some reason I find comfort watching genres I normally don’t enjoy like romantic comedies or action movies. He recently came home to me, puddled in bed with a pile of “Tomb Raider”, “Fever Pitch” and “How to lose a guy in 10 days” and said “Aw, my girl must be really sick if she watched Tomb Raider!”

19. Alexandrina @ The Cardio Queen says

Awesome movie choice!! This is a great, great movie. Definitely makes me want to watch it now when I get home with the family! :D

20. Taryn says

Hey Julie! Per your rave reviews, I ordered some of Western Bagel’s products on their website, as they don’t sell them in any stores nearby.

I had a roasted onion one for breakfast this morning spread with a Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb wedge, and it was delicious!! Thank you so much for the great product suggestion.

Seeing as there was a minimum of $18 for online orders, I ended up getting a bag each of five different kinds as well as some of their Alternative English Muffins. I’m gonna be eating bagels for weeks — no complaints there! Yeeeehaw for Western Bagels!