“T” for the Sick

As the afternoon turned into evening yesterday, my throat began feeling progressively worse.

When I woke up this morning, it was very sore.

I’m not nauseous or puking, but my throat hurts and my body feels tired. With the weather changing from warm to cold every other day, people are coming down with colds left and right.

I’m hoping that by taking the day off work, relaxing and taking care of myself, I’ll feel better soon. Cross your fingers!

Though I wasn’t that hungry this morning (<—what!?), I headed into the kitchen to fix myself a light breakfast anyway since I know food = good.

I know many doctors recommend the “BRAT diet” (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) for sickies, and decided to adhere to the plan and make myself some “T” in the form of a toasted sweet wheat Alternative Bagel. bagel with cran 036I spread cream cheese on both bagel halves and topped one with homemade cranberry sauce. bagel with cran 032bagel with cran 038I ate the whole thing like a champ.

Now it’s time for a little of this…bagel with cran 027With this little one…bagel with cran 031

And now I pose this question for you, to give me inspiration for my next movie selection…

What is your favorite movie to watch when you are feeling under the weather?

Comments

1. Mimi says

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well! I LOVE Love Actually (especially during the holidays!) I’m not sure what other movies to suggest, though… Although I will second the Elf suggestion!

2. Morgan @Some Kind of Sunshine says

Love Actually is perhaps my most favorite movie of all time, but another good “sick” movie is The Holiday! LOVe!

3. Jess says

I hope you feel better!! I’m sure snuggling with Sadie will help :) My favorite movie to curl up to is The Holiday with Cameron Diaz and Jude Law..lovelovelove.

You are where I was a week ago. It started with a really bad sore throat, peaked 2 days later with a fever of 101, then stuffy nose 2 days after that. FEEL BETTER!!

5. Jordan P says

Ah thank goodness you’ve got your girl to keep you company. Love Actually is definitely one of mine, but also Scrooged, a Muppet Christmas Carol, and The Nightmare Before Christmas always make me feel better.

6. Pixie says

I am sorry your sick, I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes taking the day off is just what you need. I watch “You Got Mail”. I have seen it hundreds of times, and can watch it back to back when it’s on TNT, as if I’ve never seen it before. It annoys my husband to no end.

I’m home today too…because I’ve been snowed in. I was up visiting my parents for the weekend and when I woke up to drive back to work in Toronto this morning it was a mess. Car doors frozen. Roads iced over. Buses delayed. 2 hour wait for CAA. My little brother had to drive his snowmobile to get to high school today (which I’m sure that he loved anyways).

So, I’m staying home today too and hanging out with sister and the dogs watching holiday movies :) We’re watching The Family Stone, Muppet Family Christmas and The Family Man today.

Hello! I have been reading your blog for the last week, and am finally getting the urge to comment! My favorite movies for feeling under the weather are “You’ve Got Mail” and “The Devil Wears Prada” they always cheer me up.

I hope you feel better!
    I just watched Love, Actually last night…good choice! :) If you’re looking for another Christmas movie to watch, how about Home Alone? Its always been one of my favs!
    Or you could always watch a classic–Titanic or Sweet Home Alabama :)

10. Lucy says

Roman Holiday without a doubt! I mean if Gregory Peck doesn’t make you feel better than nothing will haha. Audrey Hepburn is fantastic as well of course, I love her growth in that movie, she comes out so strong at the end. Have you watched it before? If not you must! Feel better.

I adore watching the Lifetime Movie Network when I’m sick.

And hey, remember, try to stay away from the lactose! Dairy products create mucus which can cause more mucus to drain from your sinuses and down your throat… which = more soreness.

I’m a champ when it comes to sinus problems. I get allergy shots weekly and get a bi-annual sinus infection when the seasons change. :)

Good job getting in the antioxidants too! Cranberries are a great source. I also think it’s nice of you to take off of work. I hate when people come into the office all sick and contagious! LOL.

I’m a huge Christmas vacation fan. I could watch it over and over again. But my favorite movie to watch when I am lazy all day is Mean Girls. (not holiday although they do a x-mas dance, right?)

Feel better Julie!

If you get the abc family channel, you should try watching that tonight if you’re still sick and in a Christmas mood. I’ve spent practically this entire weekend watching that channel so I don’t go too crazy studying for finals. When I’m sick, I really like to rewatch my old seasons of Gilmore Girls.

14. Erin says

This is embarrassing, but I like to watch old TV shows on DVD or Netflix instant streaming when I am sick. I was sick this past weekend and had to miss a bunch of holiday parties, but I spent my time on the couch with old 80s and 90s TV shows to keep me occupied. There is something about them that is comforting to me. I hope you feel better soon!

15. Angela says

This time of year, I love to watch Christmas movies when I’m tired or not feeling well. My son and I watched “Santa Baby” last night. So cute! I highly recommend it. Feel better soon!

16. Heidi says

I highly suggest Playing By Heart. It has a huge cast, but never really made it big for some reason. I just love the story line, but you have to watch it all the way through. It’s awesome!

17. Kendall says

The Time Traveler’s Wife, The Princess Diaries, or the Devil Wears Prada are all on the list for sick movies.
    And with it being the holidays, you can’t forget Elf! :)

Feel better soon!

I’m sorry you’re feeling sick–definitely a sign of the season! I have to agree with everyone’s suggestions (I LOVE Love Actually, the Holiday, and Home Alone) but another one I absolutely adore is Two Weeks Notice. If you’re in the mood for a little more Hugh after Love Actually, and are as obsessed with Sandra Bullock as I am, I highly suggest it.

Hope you feel better soon!!

19. Caroline says

I always turn to Disney movies when I’m home sick. Beauty & the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin… my tastes haven’t changed much from when I would stay home in elementay school. I hope you are feeling better soon!

20. Brandy says

Love Actually is a Great sick movie for this time of season, but my favorite anytime movie would have to be Where the heart is….Best movie ever.

21. Alicia says

I love that movie! I like to watch “The Holiday” if its around the season, if not I like to watch this movie called “Picture Perfect” that is a VHS, thats how old it is, and I can only watch at my parents where they have a video player. Hope you feel better, drink tea!

MY FATHER THE HERO, with Katherine Heigl and Gérard Dépardieu. If you haven’t seen it, you’ve been missing out! I have honestly watched it a hundred times and catch something new every time. I had every sorority sister converted after I made them watch it! You’ll love it!

23. Leanne says

That is my absolute favourite Christmas movie (modern day xmas movie I guess!). I watch it every single year and cry tears of happiness lol!

I love watching Bridget Jones’ when I’m sick!

24. Jessica@lifeinthemiddle says

I love watching “Friends” when I’m sick or feeling icky. Chandler always makes me smile no matter how gross I feel! :)

25. Katie Lesmeister says

The Holiday is my favorite! Try some Ginger tea with honey, that seems to help me when I’m feeling under the weather. Feel better!

26. Kathryn says

I agree with all the other posters who have mentioned Friends.. that always makes me feel better!

But I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Ferris Bueller’s Day Off!! That will definitely get you feeling well enough to dance on parade floats!

I need a comedy when I’m feeling blue usually. During the holidays Elf, Christmas Vacation or Home Alone are great. For some reason, I always love to watch Father of the Bride when I’m feeling a bit ill as well.

Ah I have to say – I am kind of jealous! Well okay I guess I did a little of my own sick tv watching and vegging this weekend – but it’s back to work for me today!

Love love actuallY! Enjoy your day “off” with your movie and your girl, hope you feel better soon, Julie!!

Sorry you’re not feeling well, it really is that time of year, so many people getting pre-Christmas colds! I have actually been dying to watch Love Actually and The Family Stone lately, as my Christmas time chick flicks. I love romantic comedies when I am home sick :)

30. Sana says

Feel better!
    any jennifer anniston movie; i love along came polly…also, Fred Claus with Vince Vaughn…I was actually watching it on tv last night. such a cute holiday movie…

Not gonna lie… Twilight movies are always my favorite indulgence on a sick day! I adore Love Actually and am trying to buy it for my mom for Christmas, but would you believe that it’s on back order every where I look?! Apparently a lot of people adore the movie as well!

32. Lisa says

Sorry you are feeling under the weather. I mostly try to find a movie on tv something on Hallmark Channel or Lifetime is always good. I love the movie Love Actually. A former coworker said I had to see it (when it came out on DVD) and I had to see the movie in its entirety (love Colin Firth). Up north we are prone to exactly what you are experiencing now. This year we had a really warm day and then were hit with really cold temps. the next. So naturally everyone starts feeling under the weather. I did the BRAT diet once (never again). My doctor told me to eat everything plain. Yuck. I think Airborne makes throat lozenges and if you can find them try it. I came home from work once with a really bad sore throat and tried one. By that evening my sore throat was nearly gone. Feel better.

I woke up this morning feeling the same way! My throat is sensitive when I swallow or talk, and I’ve had this wheezing cough for days now! Being sick is the worst feeling in the world :( Hope you’re feeling better! A movie that always makes me smile is Bride Wars :) I just love Anne Hathaway & Kate Hudson!

34. Katie says

I just watched “Love Actually” yesterday while cleaning! :) What a great movie!!!

I’d say anything Adam Sandler would be my pick for sick days. :) Right now, I LOVE “Grown Ups”. Hysterical!

35. Shannon says

The BRAT diet is actually for those with gastrointestinal upsets. It’s recommended if you have diarrhea, not a sore throat…..but whatever makes you feel better, I guess!?

• sunshine says

I was going to make the same comment!
      I’ve never heard of BRAT being recommended for anything but gastrointestinal upsets (ie vomiting and diarrhea).
      The best thing for a head cold is homemade chicken noodle soup with broth made from chicken bones, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and potatoes!

• Melissa says

And now the BRAT diet isn’t recommended for GI upset. It’s deficient in protein, fat, calcium, and certain vitamins and minerals.
        People should eat what they can tolerate. A well balanced diet is best so your body is able to fight whatever it is fighting.

36. Vikkie says

I hope you loved the Holiday because I found myself quoting it all day yesterday “You look like my barbie” love actually is also one of my favorites to watch especially right before Christmas. It is somewhere in my wreck of a room and everything I go to look for it i can never find it!

More sick day favorites.
    Titanic, Little Manhattan (if you haven’t seen this get ready to have you heart stolen by a ten year old) and Pleasantville.

I hope you feel better I absolutely love your blog, you turned me to chobani greek yogurt even though the oikos by stonyfield is less calories :)

Happy Sleeping

37. Vanessa says

Sorry you’re under the weather!
    My Mister and I just asked ourselves this question since we were both got sick recently.
    He likes WW2 movies. For some reason I find comfort watching genres I normally don’t enjoy like romantic comedies or action movies. He recently came home to me, puddled in bed with a pile of “Tomb Raider”, “Fever Pitch” and “How to lose a guy in 10 days” and said “Aw, my girl must be really sick if she watched Tomb Raider!”

38. Alexandrina @ The Cardio Queen says

Awesome movie choice!! This is a great, great movie. Definitely makes me want to watch it now when I get home with the family! 😀

39. Taryn says

Hey Julie! Per your rave reviews, I ordered some of Western Bagel’s products on their website, as they don’t sell them in any stores nearby.

I had a roasted onion one for breakfast this morning spread with a Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb wedge, and it was delicious!! Thank you so much for the great product suggestion.

Seeing as there was a minimum of $18 for online orders, I ended up getting a bag each of five different kinds as well as some of their Alternative English Muffins. I’m gonna be eating bagels for weeks — no complaints there! Yeeeehaw for Western Bagels!