Return of My Exercise Mojo

It’s been quite a while since peanut butter has been featured on this blog. What’s the deal!?

Rest assured that plenty of peanut butter fingers have been enjoyed as snacks and fuel while making other meals (namely dinner). Today, after an all-too-long hiatus, peanut butter returns to its rightful home!

Tuesday Breakfast

Breakfast included two toasted whole wheat bagel thins, topped with peanut butter, nectarine slices and a sprinkle of nutmeg, a great substitute for cinnamon.

Oh-So-Flavorful

Sprinkle, Sprinkle

It’s amazing what a little dash of nutmeg did to this dish. Seasonings go a long way in taking a meal from good to great.

Workout

Breakfast was a great post-workout treat!

Today’s morning workout looked a lot like one of my all-time favorite interval workouts. I changed it up a bit and ended up completing this workout:

30 Min. Treadmill Workout (20 Min. of Intervals)

I followed it up with 20 minutes on the elliptical while reading the latest issue of Clean Eating magazine. I flagged a ton of recipes I’m dying to try.

I also want to add that I am really happy with my decision not to run the half marathon in March. I think my whole motivation for running the half was just to bust out of a workout rut. I figured training for a long race would motivate me and bring me out of my funk.

As it turns out, I just needed to get a little creative with my workouts. Interval training, plyometric exercises and even hip hop dancing have all helped me enjoy my workouts again. I love searching for new workouts to try and heading to the gym knowing I’m about to embark on a workout I’m excited to do is a great feeling. Hopefully this exercise mojo will continue!

On that note, if you guys have any workouts you’ve been loving, please feel free to share them with me below. Links are welcome! :D

Of Possible Interest

Comments

Intervals are nice, they get me moving when I don’t want to move! I’m with you- my running mojo is back! Also want to try to PB and nutmeg, that sounds really good

I recently discovered Tabata, and LOVE IT!! It’s a style of lifting where you do 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest for a total of 4 minutes. It’s designed to max out a muscle. It makes for a quick and easy (~30 min) workout, but you are definitely sore the next day. My workout yesterday was:
    -Bicep curls (tabata)
    -Tricep kickbacks (tabata)
    -Run 0.3 mi
    -Crunches (tabata)
    -Chest presses (tabata)
    -Run 0.3mi
    -Squats (tabata)
    -Bicycle crunches (tabata)
    -Run 0.3 mi

Definitely feeling my arms today!

Lately I’ve been loving this easy elliptical workout: create a playlist of fun, upbeat songs, and just sprint as hard as you can every time the song reaches a chorus. It’s so fun and natural- way easier than keeping track of minute times, and you naturally want to go harder at the upbeat parts, anyway. I love it!

Have you ever tried peanut flour? I have a feeling you’d love it!

When I get in workout ruts I like to find something I’ve never done before…like your dancing class! Even if I only do it once, it gets me out of the usual routine and some times I end up loving it! My other trick is to jump in the pool for a swim work out. I don’t do it a lot so it ends up being hard, and SUCH a nice break! :)

5. Paola says

Hello Julie,
    It’s my first post on your blog :). I really enjoy Zuzana’s workouts on Bodyrock.tv : http://www.bodyrock.tv/. She posts new workouts almost every day with mosltly bodyweight exercises. The workouts are short, intense and really efficient. You can do them at home, wich is very convenient.

Hugs from Paris ! (You’ve got at least one french reader ;))

i love your workouts! i always save them.. do you make them yourself?? thats so impressive. I wish I had some to share.. but I am by no means as good as you at this!

• says

now i makeup a lot of them on the fly by myself, but at first i would get a lot of inspiration from magazines and blogs (i STILL do!). i definitely look to others for inspiration to get my creative juices flowing.

7. Laura says

I know you take some classes so maybe this one will sound appealing. Its a RIPPED workout. My gym just started it and I went to a pilot class and it was a major sweat session! It combines resistance, interval training, power (weights), plyometrics, and endurance….it really works everything.

8. Jessica says

No pics of Sadie?! I miss my daily dose of Sadie’s smile..haha. She is toooooo cute!

I’m glad you are out of your workout funk. I get in them from time to time. Nothing like a little plyo or a homemade bootcamp/obstacle course style workout to get you out of a funk though.

Seriously though…I’m sure I speak for everyone…Sadie was missed in this posting. :)

9. Laura says

Hi!

Random question but when you’re doing intervals on the treadmill, do you set the machine to flip the speeds for you or do you just press the buttons yourself? Know that seems like a silly question but the machines at my gym don’t let you do intervals less than 1 minute which means you can’t simultaneously read a magazine or anything either :)

Thanks!

10. Nicole says

I just purchased the Bob Harper Inside Out Method DVDS – yoga, weights, cardio. Oh my gosh! I workout 7 days a week, consider myself very fit and strong but these workouts are a challenge! They will certainly help you mix things up and provide the real-deal at-home workout.

This is my first comment but I have been reading for the past few weeks! I love doing interval workouts on the treadmill, keeps it from getting boring! I work for a corporate fitness company and we just started a 6 week program based totally off HIIT training. Love it!

12. stefanie says

What is the name/brand of your favorite go-to whole wheat tortilla/wraps? like the small ones you use for your microwave dilla’s?

• says

i don’t eat before the gym on weekdays b/c i get crampy if i eat w/in an hour of waking up(& i’m not about to wake up in the 4 a.m. hr. just to eat)! on the weekends i’ll eat something small, like a tortilla w/ cheese about an hr. beforehand.

Love this breakfast! Just had my first egg breakfast sandwich today, and I think I’m going to make it a regular now too! Thanks for all the great ideas all the time! Glad you’re getting your workout mojo back :) Sounds like you had a fun workout!

Glad you’re out of your workout rut! I was in the same thing with weight & interval training, so I’m mixing it up with marathon training thrown in as well. And by that I mean *very* light marathon training as it’s still a year away..but no reason to wait ’til a few months before. :P

15. Michelle @ Living Learning Earning says

Sounds like a great breakfast combo! I hadn’t thought of mixing nectarines and PB before… looks like I’ll have to try it.

That workout seems pretty intense- I don’t think I’ve ever put the treadmill at 9.0 before, much less at 2% incline. Something to work toward, I suppose!

16. Leslie says

Hey Jul! When I was trying to do your interval treadmill workouts, I noticed at 8.0 I was sprinting and that was the highest I could go without my legs falling off or me tripping over myself lol. Any thoughts on this? I couldn’t even begin to think of increasing to 10.0 haha.

I’ve recently started adding interval training into my workouts and love how fast they make the time go by! It’s amazing how quickly you can work up a sweat!

18. julie says

Try a Tabata with fast feet or high knees. Pretty strenuous. On another note, your fitness rut could possibly be due to overtraining. I’ve done it myself. Take a week off or a very long weekend off from working out and just enjoy “active rest”. Try to eat pretty clean during that rest too. You’ll feel refreshed and ready to go again.