A Lot to Learn

Last night an evening blog post eluded me because I was busy taking diligent notes during my first photography class.

Study Up!

I have a lot to learn!

The class lasted three hours and the teacher spoke quickly to make sure he had time to cover the function of all of the buttons on our Nikon D3000 cameras. After taking four pages of notes, it’s clear that I need to study up and practice. I think snapping picture after picture in different modes will prove the most beneficial.

Some of you expressed interest in a post dedicated to beginner’s photography. Since I am clearly a beginner, I would love to create this post once I feel a little more comfortable behind the camera. I think a simple “how to” post covering basics like “this is what the ‘S’ mode means” could be a great starting point for those of you out there who feel as clueless as I do when it comes to pictures.

If you’re anxious to get started, The Pioneer Woman has a whole section of her amazing website dedicated to photography. She even has some tutorials that I’m sure would be very helpful if you’re a good online learner. (I personally need a classroom setting. I dropped the only online class I took in college during the first day of add/drop week because apparently I need a teacher in front of me to absorb anything.)

Attending the photography class last night also gave me a new respect for those of you out there who work full-time and also attend school at night. That little duo requires a whole lot of sitting (I started to get so antsy by 8:30 p.m.!), not to mention brainpower and constant concentration. You are to be commended.

Workout

This morning I woke up with one thing on my brain.

Yoga!

One benefit about having a workout log saved on this blog is that I am able to look back and observe patterns and holes in my exercise regimen. A big, gaping hole lately has been a lack of stretching and yoga.

The last time I took a yoga class was on November 21 when I had an all-too advanced experience at a real yoga studio. I guess that detered me from yoga for a while, huh?

Well, today I got back on the mat.

Holy tight hamstrings!

My legs were shaking in several of the poses due to my extreme inflexibility. It’s somethin’ to work on, that’s for sure.

Walk + Breakfast

After yoga and 15 minutes of cardio on the elliptical, I headed home with Ryan to take Sadie on a walk.

Sadie Wants a Hug!

"No Face For You!"

Sadie seemed to enjoy her usual stroll around the lake quite a bit. There were lots of squirrels out to stalk this morning!

Once we arrived home, I popped a whole wheat bagel thin in the toaster to get started on breakfast.

After topping it with peanut butter, frozen banana slices and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, it was  time to dig in.

PB + B Bagelwich

A lil’ bit o’ spice is where it’s at!

Sprinkle, Sprinkle

Nanners!

I smooshed the two halves together to make a thick breakfast sandwich that was bursting with a nutty, sweet flavor.

In other news, today is a very special day for the furry member of my little family (Sadie, not Ryan) 😉 ).

Laugh Attack

And now a couple of links to hopefully make you laugh…

Comments

1. Kate@andwhenshesays says

The class sounds like a total blast! I would love to get back into photography…took a few classes in college, and honestly one of my favorite parts was using the darkroom. There is something so powerful (aaand expensive…) about developing your own photos!

2. Kate@andwhenshesays says

The class sounds like a blast! I would love to take up photography again…took a few classes in college, and one of my favorite parts was the dark room. There is something so empowering (aaand expensive…) about developing your own photos!

Oh my goodness, I don’t know why, but I find that picture of Sadie- “I want a hug” picture to be HILARIOUS!! She is looking at you like ‘what the heck is going on here?!’ haha 😀
    & Happy Birthday to little Miss Sadie! I hope she gets a McDonalds hamburger…I’m sure that’s what she’s dreaming of 😉

Happy birthday Sadie!! I swear, I’ve fallen in love with viszlas through her. It’s one of the breeds my parents are considering adopting, but I’ve done some research and it seems that because they’re a less-common breed than labs, rescues are hard to come by 🙁

I NEED to learn my camera too. Gah. Too many switches and stuff.

Happy birthday Sadie!

It looks like you have the same yoga routine as I do: go for a while, slack off a bit, go back and realize you’re still super inflexible 😉

6. Sara says

So I finally caved today and followed your lead to become a morning gym person. I will say that its nice to know that once work is done for the day, I can just relax. Hopefully when the alarm goes off tomorrow morning I can remind myself how happy I was after I finished my workout!

Happy Birthday Sadie!!! 🙂 The photography class sounds great and overwhelming at the same time. I can’t wait to read all about it! Your breakfast looks great by the way!

8. Kristina @ Life as Kristina says

Happy Bday Sadie!!!! I wish it wasn’t in the negatives so I could take my pup for a walk-I love using our walks as my cool down post workout!
    Have a great day!!!!

Good luck on your photo classes! I am new to the whole blogging and photography thing. I just have a little Nikon and every time I take a picture of my food my boyfriend says “we need to get you a camera that shoots in low light.” I’m giving it a little time though to see how my blogging goes=) and Happy Puppy Birthday to Sadie!

Hi Julie! I read your blog quite frequently, and enjoy all your posts…even the Sadie ones! 🙂

When I read your post today, I thought would share a new website that is all about photography. It was just released at the beginning of this week, but every 1st of the month they will be promoting photography across the globe, including tips and hints to improve our own photography. Their website explains more, but it seems pretty awesome…and the best part is it’s free! 🙂

Also…

Just thought I would share….Thanks!

Happy Birthday Sadie!!!

I’m hoping to take a photography class too! I spent an evening with my wedding photographers to learn some basics (F-stops, AV mode, etc.), but I’m dying to learn more. I’d say that best way though is to just keep snapping photos. Change the settings all around and see what they do.

Happy Birthday Sadie!!!!

I woke up thinking “yoga” this morning too! It’s a rest day of my 5k training program today so it works out well that I can do some yoga tonight.

I planned to have a similar brekkie tomorrow…it’s more like a stuffed french toast tho..but around the same thing. 🙂

Good luck with your photo classes!!! I’ll certainly be following your beginner posts…right now i just pretty much point and click..and adjust the flash. im a mess.

That’s awesome that your taking a photography class! WHat a great idea. I think I should probably do the same after I save up to get a new camera. How did you go about looking for classes? I would even know where to begin!

14. Allison says

Your breakfast looks a lot like my favorite (I eat it almost every day!): a toasted whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and nana slices. Yum! Sometimes I spread PB and strawberry preserves on the toasted english muffins. It’s like a warm gooey PB&J.

I think Sadie deserves an ENTIRE dedication post for her Birthday 😉 JUST sayin!

Glad you learned so much lastnight! 😀 That’s amazing and yes, night classes make you wanna twiddle your thumbs a lot, don’t they? Haha. No matter how interesting the material, sitting at your day job THEN a class must really be irritating, I can’t even imagne, yikes!

I would loooove for you to do a tutorial on everything you’re learning about your camera. Thanks for putting that topic on the radar!

And yes, I agree, online classes are at times hard. I’m currently pursuing my Masters in Public Health from UNC-Chapel Hill in an online degree format… taking 1-2 classes a semester and it’s all done at night and on weekends! It sure does take a lot of dedication and self-discipline, but it’s worth it.

Also, Happy does the same thing as Sadie with pictures! She hardly ever stares the camera in the face! She wants to just look around, roll around… jump around…. I think it’s because our dogs have so much energy, ha!

17. Alicia says

haha the invisible cats is hilarious! I should show the vball one to some of my girls, the cat has better form than they do! Can’t wait to see the camera post.

18. Jessica says

I believe pb doggy treats are in order! Happy Birthday to Sadie Hawkins Dance! I know…it’s a bad habit…Tyler’s parents have a cat named Peanut that I call Peanut Butter Cup and my cousin has a terrier named Gracie that I call Gracie Lou Freebush (from the movie Miss Congeniality). I just let the name take me away!

19. Geraldine says

Happy Birthday Sadie! Recently my boyfriend and I have been discussing getting a dog and he has fallen in love with Vizlas – he really wants a sporty dog. I once showed him a few of your blog posts about Sadie so maybe (definitely) he got the idea from here! 🙂 I hope Sadie gets some doggy cake or an extra big bone today