Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie Bowl

After a very restless night’s sleep, Ryan and I awoke bright and early to head  to the gym. We completed 20 minutes of side-by-side cardio before separating for our respective weights workouts.

Since I hadn’t taken a BodyPump class in a week, it felt good to flex my muscles and feel the burn again. If Ryan and I ever move out of Orlando, I am going to do my best to join a gym that offers BodyPump classes because they really do give me a much better workout than any weight lifting routine I could personally complete on my own.

Once BodyPump was over, I met up with my friend Merri to take Sadie on a 40-minute walk around the lake near our apartment. Having a friend to keep me company on my morning walk with Sadie makes the time pass so quickly. Merri and I were chatting away through the whole walk and if I didn’t have that silly job thing to attend to, I gladly would’ve circled the lake a couple more times with her.

When our walk was over, I was ready for breakfast. Something cold and chocolaty sounded good to me, so I whipped out the blender to make myself a chocolate covered strawberry smoothie bowl!

Into the blender went:

• 1 c. frozen strawberries
  • 1 1/2 c. almond milk
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 handful fresh spinach
  • 3 large ice cubes
  • 1 pinch xanthan gum (for thickening)

Just like Thursday’s strawberry smoothie bowl, this baby nearly overflowed!

I actually looked at the cup measurement on the blender once I was done blending this smoothie bowl and it made 3 1/2 cups! I ate every last bite and loved it all. Chocolate craving = Satisfied!

Off to work!

Of Possible Interest

Comments

I feel the same way about BodyPump. My gym in the city doesn’t offer it, but thankfully they have a few other really awesome classes that take its place. Whenever I’m at my parents’ though, I take as many BP classes as possible. Love it!

What a delicious breakfast! I think it’s so nice that you have a chance to catch up with your friends (well, Merri in this case) so early in the day when you walk Sadie. I really need to find time to see my friends more often.. maybe I need to get a dog to walk! :) Have a great day Julie!

3. Christine @ Merf In Progress says

I have no xanthan gum, but I’m going to make this smoothie later. I get huge chocolate cravings that I usually satisfy with a handful of chocolate chips. This seems healthier. :)

Totally agree about BodyPump! It definitely gets me to do all those things I hate doing by myself (ie – squats and lunges). And it’s almost…fun? :)

That bowl looks ridiculously delicious…

5. Presley says

Great, now I’m going to be craving chocolate all day! 😉 I just talked about how I’ll be taking my first Bodypump class today… so it’s good to see that you enjoy it so much. I’m actually a bit nervous!

6. Karina says

Yum!! Looks delicious! I’m joining a new gym in a few months and guess what.. They have BodyPump!! I’m so excited to try it after reading your blog! Have a great day :)

• says

I’m definitely no expert AT ALL in the whole fitness area, but I would suggest trying things outside of the gym at first. Ask him to go on walks with you, throw the frisbee for 30 minutes and run around trying to catch it, kick a soccer ball, go swimming and challenge him to see who can swim across the pool the fastest. Then, once he feels how good it feels to be active, mabye he will want to join you in the gym one or two days a week! As long as you make it fun and something you can enjoy doing together, I think that would help a lot :)

7. Jen says

Recently I’ve been taking a boot camp class. While I’ve never taken a body pump class, they seem similar. It’s such a great workout. I agree with you that being in a class motivates you to work harder.

Does your husband take the class with you? I’ve been trying to convince my boyfriend to workout with me but it never seems to work. I know it seems like an odd request but do you have any suggestions? I don’t want to hurt his feelings but the two of us gained an abnormal amount of weight in college and I’m the only one who is trying to rectify the situation. Ah, that makes me sound so awful but I think it would be good for the both of us.

Soft serve for breakfast! I covet your breakfasts day after day. I wish I had time to be more creative in the mornings!

Glad you & Merri are getting lots of quality time in before she moves! :)

YUM! I need to try out this smoothie! It looks delicious and I’m always up for chocolate in the morning!

I just started taking a kickboxing class and that class is really fun! A great way to get an hour of cardio in without feeling like you are spending an hour doing it!

10. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

I want to try BodyPump — but my gym doesn’t offer it, and nearby gyms who have it only offer it at strange times that don’t work with my schedule.

That smoothie looks delicious — I can’t believe those ingredients made 3.5 cups!

Your smoothie looks awesome. What time do you wake up in the morning? It is hard enough for me to get up, hit the gym and get ready for work in time, let alone walk the dog and make a smoothie :)

I love this and want to get into the habit of making smoothies! I need to start preparing them at night though, I wake up much earlier than my roommates. Any suggestions on over-night smoothies?
    Also, does anyone else find that if they eat something resembling chocolate, or containing some sugar, they set themselves up for sweet cravings all day?

13. Elise says

I love how you link articles at the bottom! You should do that more often. Some how I always miss out on some really interesting stuff when I skim the sites myself!

14. Faith @ lovelyascharged says

Those links were awesome – I absolutely adore Natalie Portman, and it’s even more awesome that she’s vegan!

You always have good brekfast treats. I have been trying to make myself breakfast every day, but it’s hard! I am at work at 7:00AM and I usually have an iced coffee and a Luna Bar, mostly because it’s so easy and fast. I admire your breakfast meals!

16. Amber K says

I get jealous every time I read about people doing Body Pump. It sounds like such an awesome class, but none of the gyms near me offer anything even remotely similar.

That strawberry smoothie recipe looks absolutely amazing. Makes me feel like I should put that lonely blender in my kitchen to some use! Thanks for sharing :-) Can I find xanthan gum anywhere?

18. Anon says

Hmm, sounds good! Does it taste of strawberries at all?

Btw Julie, I just wanted to say – I’ve been reading your blog for a couple months now & I love it. Ive commented a few times before but ive recently started working out & I feel I need to thank you. It’s very inspiring to read about your workouts & healthy habits.

So thanks Julie! :)

im a little late.. but CONGRATS on your vita mix! isnt it soooo awesome! hummus is so great to make with it too! and dough! shoot.. everything is awesome to make with it!

20. Michelle says

That smoothie looks amazing!!!

I have a sister who lives in the Orlando area right now, so every time I read your blog I think of her! :)

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can
    be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!