“Ice Cream” Smoothie

The brunch sliders were a hit! Everyone seemed to enjoy them and had a good time trying the different sandwiches. The first ones to go were the peanut butter and banana and double strawberry sliders.

Ryan and I had a great time hanging out with our friends and enjoyed the vast array of food. I filled up a plate with one of our sliders, French toast casserole, quiche and a bit of fruit salad.

Unfortunately we couldn’t hang out as long as we would have preferred because Ryan had a soccer game early this afternoon.

Workout

We arrived home with just enough time for him to change and head out the door. I stayed behind with plans to eventually get in a workout of my own.

Between snacking a lot while making the brunch sliders and eating my fair share of grub at the brunch, I definitely felt a food baby in my belly and was feeling less than motivated to go for a run.

I changed into my workout gear, waited about an hour and turned to Twitter for some motivation.

After tweeting that I wasn’t in the mood to run on our way to the brunch, I received a slew of motivational tweets including one from Allison who encouraged me to run for those who can’t. Talk about a good reason to lace up my sneakers!

Eventually I leashed Sadie up and completed 5 miles. We ran most of the time, but took a few walking breaks when we passed through the farmer’s market downtown.

Once we arrived home, we headed out to the backyard for several rounds of fetch (this dog has never-ending energy!) while I soaked up some sun.

By the time 3 p.m. rolled around, my hunger returned and a smoothie sounded perfect!

I made myself a vanilla banana and honey smoothie that honestly tasted like ice cream!

Into the blender went:

• 2 frozen bananas
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 tbsp. honey, plus more on top

It was awesome!!! I think I will be making 5,000 more of these to satisfy my craving for sweets during the Lenten season.

Time to shower! Ryan should be home any minute and I smell like a dirty sock.

Comments

You make me laugh. “I smell like a dirty sock” haha! It is one of the first really nice, hot, days in Kansas and I am thinking that smoothie will be making an appearance sometime this afternoon! :)

2. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

That smoothie sounds delicious!

I also had a food baby earlier and did not want to work out — I’m so glad I did though!

Hello! I just discovered your bog and quite like it! I’m a running and cooking fan and your smoothie looks delicious! Just a question, how long does it take you to comple a 5mile run? See you!

4. Chelsey at Jam&Run says

YUM! I am all out of fruits for smoothies and I’m so sad since your smoothie looks amazing!! :)

That looks awesome! My stomach’s kind of been funky with dairy lately, so this looks like a great alternative to the ice cream I’ve been missing (if made with almond milk)!

By the way, I got my boyfriend looking at vizsla’s today… not sure if we’re ready for a puppy quite yet but I think Sadie has me convinced that it has to be a vizsla! :)

6. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says

I just froze sone bananas last night. That looks soooo good!

7. Lynn (The Cream Filling) says

Holy yum I want some of that smoothie! That is one of my favorite flavor combos: vanilla, banana, and honey = Mmmmmm

Haha I am glad that you were still motivated for that run! Running cures everything including food babies :)

Before you had your Vitamix, what did you use to make smoothies? My boyfriend dropped my blender and it shattered on our tile floors, and I used to have a Magic Bullet that was useless (others have said they’re great… mine wasn’t)… any suggestions?

9. Faith @ lovelyascharged says

Has Sadie always been a runner? I try to get Haley to run with me all the time, but she poops out after about a half mile. She’s a great sprinter, but as far as actually running….not so much!

That sounds delicious! Today the weather was perfect for an afternoon run – nice and sunny and warm – even warm enough not to wear a jacket… but now it’s snowing!?!? Crazy!! Glad you had a great day Julie!

Yayyyyy I’m *so* glad you got out the door and went out on a run!!! Especially if your weather was anything like Charlotte’s today… completely and utterly amazing! This is the weather I live for… not too hot, just pleasant!

And thanks for the shoutout!! I was so excited to see that (there may or may not have been a squeal…)! Even though I wasn’t feeling my best I was able to enjoy myself outside, and I actually got a lot of household chores done, too! In your face, sore throat!

12. Mama says

Just made the same smoothie for Daddy and he loved it. He couldn’t believe that I didn’t add ice cream. I even added the little swirl of honey on the top! Yum. xo

13. Annie says

Bahaha, I can’t get the image of you standing in your house looking like a giant dirty sock as Ryan enters…. holding Sadie and your camera… hahahahaha

Great job on the run and the smoothie. I froze some bananas last week that I am SO going to make this with…

It seems like you have every flavor of protein powder out there! Which is your absolute fave? I’ve been using chocolate for everything, and when I make smoothies usually dip into my brother’s vanilla-flavored…I just ran out of my chocolate and opted for the strawberry flavor this time. So far, me gusta mucho!

Have you ever tried making Banana “Ice Cream”. Just blend up (or food process) 2 frozen bananas and add whatever toppings you’d like.. dash of cinnamon, chopped nuts, etc.

It tastes like banana soft serve and is oh so good. Turn it chocolate w/ a bit of cocoa powder, or blend it w/ some PB and a dash of milk for PB flavor… it’s soo good, try it! All natural too!

Omg what an amazing ice cream smoothie! I love how creamy it looks. The frozen bananas really make it. Funny that you made an “ice cream” smoothie since today is the anniversary of the first sundae 😀