Eight Miles

Eight miles!

8 mile run 016

All done before 8:45 a.m. (And yes, I desperately need to repaint my nails.)

Pretty sweet start to the weekend!

Fun fact: Eight miles is Sadie’s personal distance record! (You may see what Sadie thinks about during long runs here.)

Sadie ran eight miles with me last year when I was training for the Chicago Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon and then I picked her up about halfway through my remaining long runs, but I never took her more than eight miles because I worried about her in the heat.

Since we’re training for a half marathon in November, the weather isn’t quite as hot as it is in June and July, so I’m thinking Sadie will be able to handle all of our long runs. (Runner’s World magazine listed vizslas as one of the few dog breeds that can train for an entire marathon with their owners!)

When we got back from our run today, Sadie immediately picked up a ball and jumped around, trying to coerce us into several rounds of fetch. Psycho.

As Ryan, Sadie and I set out to conquer the eight-mile run on our half marathon training plan this morning, none of us (okay, just the humans) were feeling particularly enthusiastic. Fortunately once we started running, the miles ticked by pretty quickly.

Ryan and I chatted away for the first six miles and then said about two words to each other during the final two. Apparently we were in the zone and just trying to finish out the run without much else on our minds.

Well, breakfast was on my mind. Smile

I always brainstorm what I want for breakfast during my workouts. Today nothing sounded better than an egg, cheese and jelly breakfast sandwich.

8 mile run 017

Cheddar cheese + Two fried eggs + Raspberry jelly + Whole wheat English muffin

8 mile run 020

Turkey bacon on the side!

Fantastic post-run fuel.

Today’s plans include lots of errands and many phone calls to inquire about some craigslist finds and then we may have two special guests come in town for the evening.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Comments

Nice job! To Sadie as well. My 8 miles is next week. But I got through 8 a couple of weeks ago so it should be fine. I have trouble letting my mind wander so I am working on that. And I definitely think about everything I am going to EAT when I am out there.

Off to the gym and then maybe putting the office furniture together. NOT from Ikea thank god.

The Kidless Kronicles
    Wag More, Bark….

2. Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin' says

You’re awesome! 8 miles is my goal for running. :) Once I’m done with Insanity I want to train for a half marathon that doesn’t exist. The egg in your breakfast looks so delish..I could eat eggs every day and never get tired of them! :)

Congrats on that awesome run! I know so many people that love running, my best friend won states for it in cross country in high school, but its really hard for me. I much prefer fast walking! ;p That is so cool Sadie can run with you! My puppies are like six inches off the ground so I don’t think they’re really cut out for running! ;p

4. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

I bet Sadie is the ultimate motivator 😀 always excited and ready to go!
    And that breakfast sandwich looks ridiculously good.

5. Emma @ Microcosm of Life says

You and Sadie are a couple of running beasts! Can she be an official runner in your races? She’d look good with a race number bib :)

Also, I don’t know what it is about that melted cheddar cheese, but it is calling my NAME. Looks so good!!

6. Tanya says

My husband and a friend trained for an Ironman this past year. Our friend has a vizsla and they would take them on their long 18 mile runs! He never got tired, it was actually amazing! I think our friends regret taking him out on such long runs because now nothing tires him out!

PS
    I am now addicted to chocolate protein granola. Made it twice last week and said I wouldn’t make it this week. Opps made it tonight. I put in a approximately 1 tsp of PB instead of oil (i love PB but think PB and chocolate is better) its not as clustery but still delicious!

7. Tracy @ Tracy's Treats says

Congrats on your run! I got a 10 miler in this morning and am now off to a day long music festival! My poor legs!

8. Kaella says

NICE!!! I just finished 6.2 miles (my 2nd ever 10 K) and I shaved 12 minutes off my time. I basically have to visualize myself running, and finishing the route, in order to get my booty moving! (it also helped I read your blog before I left this morning—hello motivation!) Have a great weekend 😀

• Kaella says

Thanks Julie! My first time was slow (it was one of those “just put one foot in front of the other and don’t stop” runs) and I wasn’t looking to beat my time, but it definitely felt better this morning. To be honest…..I also saw three deer on my path, so I may have done some sprinting to get around them (and hoped they didn’t start chasing me, ha ha!) That probably helped my time as well :)

I haven’t run eight miles in nearly a year. Man I don’t miss those long training runs! Glad you guys kicked butt, though!

Also wanted to let you know that I did ANOTHER one of your weights workouts this morning (the most recent upper body one that you posted). It was a killer. Thanks!

All these posts about turkey bacon are making me want some! Do you find it with the regular bacon at the grocery store, or is it in a different section? And nice job with the 8 mile run before 9 a.m.! That is impressive. Now you can enjoy the rest of the day.

11. ALAINA says

whoop whoop! horray for running and compleating goals! i beat my PR in a 5k this morning and feeling good good good! Congrats on your 8 miles; what an accomplishment!

• says

hahha i don’t know… she has access to her food bowl 24-7 as it is and we just refill it when it’s getting low. i actually DO think she eats more on days when we take her running now that i think about it.

12. Caitlin says

I live in LA and am doing the Rock N Roll half on 30OCT and I had ZERO motivation to do 8 miles this morning. I was like let me see if Julie did it….and then I saw your post and I was like damnit! But i got out there and did 8 miles this morning too, thanks to you! Enjoy your weekend.

Nice 8-miler! My wirehaired pointing griffon (also a versatile hunting dog, but 100 times shaggier than a vizsla!) lurves going on long runs with us. He’s actually suffered more for my pregnancy this year than I have, because I can’t make it past 5 or 5.5 miles anymore. Poor guy. He and Sadie would be quite a pair – he’s also always begging for fetch post-run!

14. Kait @ One Love Run says

good job on the 8 miles! I have a half coming up in Nov and I am up to 7 miles this week – for some reason once I start getting past the 6 mile range the runs get intimidating! We will see how it goes!

15. Natalie says

Hello,

Recently found your blog through a recipe link on Pinterest and it’s now one of my favorites!

Just wondering where your running watch is from?

Thanks!