No ‘Pod, No Problem

When we awoke around 6:45 a.m., Ryan rolled over in bed and grabbed his phone to check the weather.

“Fifty five degrees!” he said.

Woo! Finally some cool running weather!

Ryan, Sadie and I headed out to tackle the 11-mile run on our half marathon training plan a little after 7 a.m.

11 mile run 007

When I went to select a workout playlist for our run, about three words of a Bob Seger song came out before my iPod went dead.

I am the kind of runner who relies greatly on music to keep me motivated and my feet trucking along. I didn’t want to wait for my iPod to charge, so I threw it in our mailbox and we took off.

Oddly enough, from a mental standpoint, this was the best I’ve felt on a long run. I’m sure the cooler temperatures had a lot to do with that, but I also enjoyed the rhythm of our breathing and footsteps and chatted a lot with Ryan.

That boy helps put everything into perspective like no one else can and I am so glad he’s training for this race with me.

During our run, I ate Gu Chomps at miles 4.5 and 7.5 and they gave me the extra boost I needed to power through the remainder of our run.

gu chomps

Though our average pace per mile was slower that our other long runs, when we finished, I felt like I could’ve kept going and completed a full half marathon without hesitation this week. It was a great feeling!

For some reason I wasn’t hungry at all after our run this morning. My appetite was off yesterday as well and I’m still waiting for it to come back with a bang.

Since I obviously knew I needed to eat something, I ate a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter while making myself an egg sandwich.

11 mile run 013

I used dippy eggs in the sandwich, which was a good idea… in theory.

It was quite messy to eat!

11 mile run 015

But yolk-soaked bites make the mess totally worth it.

11 mile run 018

Plus, Sadie loves licking the plate after I eat dippy eggs about 5,000 times more than when I just eat scrambled or fried eggs. More delicious licks!

11 mile run 016

And now I must go find something to wear for today’s baby shower!

Hope you guys have a wonderful and relaxing weekend. Smile

P.S. Ryan has a question for you runners out there. Have any of you tried running in those toe socks (not shoes)?

toe socks running

He’s very interested in them but doesn’t want to buy a pair without hearing about someone’s first-hand experience. Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments

1. Kami says

I have several pairs of toe socks (injinji) and wear them on all my runs. For some reason this past summer I had problems with blisters between my toes, and I don’t have that problem anymore. So I’d recommend toe socks if blisters are a problem, but I don’t think they really make much of a difference otherwise.

I always love dippy eggs too but they definitely are really messy to eat. My sister’s dog LOVES licking my dippy egg plate too though, haha.

I’ve never tried those socks but I’m definitely curious to see what others day!

Congrats on the run! I’ve only run without music a couple of times, and it is so very mental for me.. I normally rely heavily on music as well, because even though I love to run, I still need something to keep the time ticking/distract me.

4. jennifer says

I have wanted to try chomps on my long runs for awhile now. Do you need to drink some water after eating them? Just wondering because I can’t really handle eating and drinking near the same time while running.

5. Jessica Corbin says

I wear those socks a lot of the time when I run and love them. I usually get blisters on a couple toes on my left foot for some reason, but since wearing these, it prevents that completely. My toes are close together than they should be so I have been trying to find something that works and these socks do it!!!! Its a little weird feeling at first, but you get used to it and so worth it.

6. Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous says

That dippy egg sandwich looks FABULOUS! Messy or not, MMmmmm!! I am LOVING the cooler weather as well!! Fall is finally here! (:

That’s so nice that you guys are able to run together! How fun. None of my animals are that active. I wish they were, though!
    I always find it weird when I end up not being hungry after my workouts. But, that usually changes after I’ve started eating!

8. veronica says

I totally suggest buying injinji socks… they are great for blisters and you can use them in summer or winter… I love them when I run . I’m a triathlete and hate not be able to use them because of timing…

I have a pair of them. I think it depends on your foot width and the shoe. I just ran a full in normal socks (not toe socks) and didnt end up with any blisters.

I sometimes feel like my toes are cramped with the toe socks on…so make sure the toe box on the shoe is wide enough. I would imagine that if blisters are a problem, they will help.

Be prepared to play with them before race day-they take a little getting use to!

10. allisons! says

Ryan should try swiftwick socks. I wear them during all my runs and I have not gotten a single blister since I started wearing them.

I love Injinji socks, but WITH shoes. I wear them with my Vff’s. I dont think they would last without shoes. They are knd of flimsy, and at their price point, I personally wouldnt do it. If he wants the barefoot experience, why not try water shoes or regular socks, no shoes? Just my 2cents.

12. Leslie says

My friend Morgan’s fiance runs in those toe shoes and loves it. I don’t know about the socks, but I have heard that those shoes are actually better for you than regular shoes, if you’re not going a long distance. I don’t know how true that is though :).

Injinji’s are my husband’s ONLY running sock.

I used to wear ONLY them and then discovered Wright socks which are dual layered. I prefer Wright’s over Injinji but prefer Injinji over everything else

I have NEVER gotten a blister wearing either of these two sock brands.

I wear them with my regular running shoes – not my VFF

14. Katy says

Julie,

I’ve read before that you don’t eat during a workout because it causes you to cramp. What about during your half marathon training for runs that lasted longer than an hour? I, like you, am a earlier morning exerciser and always eat when I return from my workout. Usually it is no problem. However, last week I had a training run of 6 miles, and ran for an hour and 8 minutes. Once I hit the hour mark, my energy levels felt depleted. However, I also tend to cramp if I eat before I work out. What do you suggest?

Katherine