Peppermint Bark

Today after church I had one thing and one thing only on my to do list.

• Laundry
  • Vacuum
  • Grocery store
  • Make peppermint bark

peppermint bark 043-1

peppermint bark 002

The other things can wait, right?

Yesterday when I mentioned my love for Williams-Sonoma’s peppermint bark, Molly, an awesome blog reader, emailed me with her recipe for the festive treat and I knew I had to take a crack at it today.

peppermint bark 025

Fortunately Molly’s recipe was really easy!

Making the peppermint bark was a fun alternative to baking Christmas cookies and left me in the holiday spirit. (It probably helped that I was playing my Mannheim Steamroller CD on repeat.)

peppermint bark 034

Pin It

Molly’s Peppermint Bark

Ingredients:

• 1 pound dark or semi-sweet chocolate*
  • 1 pound white chocolate*
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons peppermint extract (I used 1 tsp.)
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 4 to 5 regular-size candy canes, crushed

*Note: I highly recommend using a block of good quality chocolate for this recipe (I used Baker’s brand baking blocks). Chocolate chips don’t work as well because they have stabilizers in them, and the layers in the bark tend to separate.

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet (with raised edges) with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.
  2. Melt dark chocolate in microwave (30 second intervals on high, stirring in between).
  3. Add 1/2 tsp. of canola oil and spread evenly in pan.  Refrigerate until solid.
  4. Melt white chocolate using the same method, and add 1/2 tsp. of oil, as well as the peppermint extract.
  5. Spread white chocolate mixture over dark chocolate layer (it is best to let the white chocolate cool a bit, so it doesn’t melt the dark chocolate and swirl layers together).
  6. Sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces on top, and refrigerate (or freeze) until solid.
  7. Remove from cookie sheet, peel off foil layer, and chop into pieces.  Enjoy!

peppermint bark 016

peppermint bark 006

peppermint bark 010

peppermint bark 018

peppermint bark 019

I have a feeling this peppermint bark will take the place of my holiday pretzel treats as my go-to homemade holiday sweet treat to give to friends.

peppermint bark 049

And I just realized something: This recipe makes two pounds of peppermint bark.

There are currently two people in our house right now.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Comments

Yum! 🙂 I’m in a major holiday treat making mood but living alone makes it tough to do! lol. I usually end up with a treat induced tummy ache and need to get them delivered to others as soon as possible!

Peppermint bark is on my Christmas “baking” list…thanks for the directions, it looks amazing! 🙂

How long do you reckon it would keep for? (if I can keep my hands of it that is!) & would you keep it in the fridge or room temperature?

Thanks! I’ve never made any type of “bark” before (I don’t think it’s so popular in the UK) but keep seeing it on American blogs and wanting to try it!

3. Erika says

That looks amazing!! My favorite candy to make at the holidays is saltine cracker candy. I call it crack candy because it is insanely addictive. Salty (crackers) & sweet (chocolate & caramel) the perfect combo. Let me know if you’d like the recipe. 🙂

Looks good! Is a traditional Christmas treat in the US? We’re all about mince pies and Christmas pudding here…peppermint bark looks way better and much quicker to make!

5. Tracy @ Tracy's Treats says

I like that recipe! It seems easy enough and will be great to give out in my office as holiday gifts! Thanks for posting!

6. Maria says

Have you tried Rold Gold’s Peppermint Covered Snowflakes? I found them at Costco yesterday and they are amazing! They are basically peppermint bark dipped pretzels!

I’m obsessed with William and Sonoma’s peppermint bark too!!! soooo so delicious. This looks just like it too so I may have to give this a shot too. thanks Molly!

I never knew that about using high quality chocolate–I tried making cake batter bark last year and the vanilla and chocolate layers kept separating. I’ll have to give it a try again this year using Baker’s chocolate.

Thanks for the tip–bark is such a pretty treat! Especially with the peppermint candies in it.

9. Kaelin says

Thanks for sharing!! I am sooooo excited to try this!! It will be perfect for my office’s Christmas party.

We are headed to William Sonoma next weekend for some gifts, and I plan on hitting the sample tables while browsing!

10. Michelle B. says

It’s so funny that you posted this today – I tried the Williams Sonoma peppermint bark for the first time today when they were giving out samples in the store. It was kind of expensive so I didn’t get any. How convenient that there is a recipe here that I can make now! 🙂

11. Anne says

About your protein oats. I usually just add water to my oatmeal with a kettle. If I have oatmeal/protein powder together it is typically in smoothie form.

I’m afraid that if I add protein powder + oats + hot kettle water it will lump up very gross (I use either a vegan protein powder or a 100% whey isolate protein). Also, how many grams of protein do you use at once? (15 or 20 or 30 grams?)

Thank you so much for posting the recipe, I’ve pinned it and will have to make it this weekend. I’ve been craving for some and was thisclose to ordering it from WS today.

13. Julie says

Oh my gosh, the bark looks so fun and festive!!!! Not to mention tasty….I will definately making those this holiday season. I never even thought to make it homemade. Yummm.

I was going to buy a bag of peppermint bark at the store today and decided I rather just make my own like I usually do! I usually use chocolate chips but I do notice the chocolate tends to seize up and is not pourable. Now I know why, stabilizers. Makes sense!

You can always share the 2 pounds with me 😉

15. Meg @RunRideLove says

Ah, this is perfect! We are almost through our tin of William Sonoma peppermint bark (2 people…2 days. I feel pretty bad about it, but wanted more! without having to pay the crazy prices!) THANKS

Just had my first baking experience with Barker’s semi-sweet chocolate while baking oreo cheesecake bites over thankgiving. Delish! Your peppermint bark looks awesome!!!

17. Michelle @ Yoga Health for Life says

Yum! I can’t wait to make this for an upcoming party! I’ll try to play Mannheim Steamroller while making the bark, too! I saw them live at Universal Studios last year, they were fantastic live!!

I will definitely be trying this peppermint bark. I have never had it before, but you can’t go wrong with chocolate and mint 🙂

I often back-read your blog and my goodness, I haven’t laughed so hard in ages! It was your You Spin Me Right Round post from September 09…..

“I’ll never forget the first time I told my sister I was taking a spinning class. She looked at me like I was off my rocker and asked why anyone would want to just spin around and around… in her defense, that was before spinning became so popular. :)”

I just found that so funny, I am still laughing about it now as I type this. I think I find it so funny because that’s exactly something my sister would say like when she told me that her tomato sauce she was dipping her fries into tasted funny – she was actually using strawberry jam!! 🙂

oooo i saw a recipe similar on pinterest…this looks AWESOME! im gonna wait to make it until i go home so im not the only one sitting around eating it haha

20. Nicole says

Even easier pepperment bark recipe, its always a hit and really peppermenty!
    Ingredients:
    •12 ounces (about 2 cups) dark chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
    •12 ounces (about 2 cups) white chocolate, chopped, or white chocolate chips *I use ghirardelli
    •8 peppermint candy canes

Preparation:

1. Unwrap the candy canes a, use a rolling pin to roll/smash the candy canes until they are the size you desire.*I crush them a lot and then strain the candy canes to separate the dust and pieces of candy cane

2. Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it with smooth aluminum foil.

3. Melt or temper the dark chocolate. Pour the chocolate onto the prepared cookie sheet and use an offset spatula or knife to spread it to an even thickness, a little more than 1/8″ thick. The chocolate does not have to reach all sides of the sheet, as it will be broken up later anyhow. Place the tray in the refrigerator to firm up while you prepare the white chocolate.

4. While the dark chocolate hardens, melt or temper the white chocolate. *Stir in the candy cane dust.

5. Remove the tray from the refrigerator and spread the white chocolate in an even layer over the dark chocolate.

6. While the white chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces over the entire surface evenly. Press down very slightly to ensure they stick. Place the tray back in the refrigerator to firm up for 30 minutes.

7. Once the peppermint bark bark is completely set, break into small, uneven pieces by hand.

Oh goodness gracious. I love peppermint bark. Looks like I am going to have to get all crafty in the kitchen sometime this week. By the way, I love the new “pin it” buttons! That dang site is so addicting!

We will def be making homemade peppermint bark in our house this year- assuming I don’t mess it up! My momma always has bought the W&S tin but that’ll be back up 😉

23. ilissa says

QUESTION!

If I make this and put them in a shaped silicon ice cube tray to harden…do you know if that would work/they would pop out okay?

PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE
    This is a before or after dinner mint that packs a lot more than a refreshing feeling after you consume it. This is pure delight for your taste buds.