Healthy Snack Ideas

Lunch today came up fast! Clearly my work had me all wrapped up and in the zone because it was only my stomach’s grumbling that made me glance at the clock and realize it was noon.

Today’s lunch used salmon leftover from last night’s dinner.

salmon salad 003

I made myself a salmon salad wrap just like the one I made last week. Next time I make my salmon salad, I’ll may more attention to the exact ingredients because I have a feeling my fellow salmon lovers out there would really enjoy it!

salmon salad 010

And now I must run to another Taste of Ocala committee meeting, but before I head out, let’s talk healthy snacks!

Healthy Snack Ideas

healthy snack ideas
Pin It

Since my blog doesn’t document everything that I eat, my snacks almost always go unpictured. But the thing is, I love snacking and eat two to three snacks every single day.

My snacking style usually goes in phases. I’ll eat the same thing for my morning snack for a month and then I’ll get sick of it and switch to something else for a month until I get sick of that snack.

Lately, however, the variety of my snacks has increased. Since I am always on the lookout for healthy snack ideas, I figured you guys might enjoy a glimpse into some of my snack-time favorites!

I try to eat snacks that have protein, fat and carbs and often try to include fresh fruit and veggies if possible.

Here are some of my current favorites:

• Cottage cheese (I love 2 percent) topped with a sliced apple and cinnamon

granola overnight oats 004

oatmeal walnut date balls

oatmeal banana flax muffin

• Ricotta cheese topped with a sliced pear, slivered almonds and pumpkin pie spice

ricotta with pears

chocolate smoothie

• Greek yogurt topped with homemade granola

granola and greek yogurt

• Half of a whole wheat bagel topped with peanut butter or almond butter

bagel with peanut butter

• Veggies dipped in hummus

veggies with hummus

• Whole wheat waffle topped with cottage cheese, fresh fruit and cinnamon

waffle with cottage cheese and fruit

• Apple, pear or peach slices dipped in nut butter

You may also visit the Snacks page under the Recipes drop down menu for some more fun ideas!

Question of the Afternoon

• What is your favorite healthy snack?

Comments

1. Laurie says

Yum! I’m always looking for new snack ideas so this is great. My go to snacks are always some kind of greek yogurt with fruit (lemon yogurt with blueberries is my fave)

2. Lauren says

Those snacks have me drooling, and I am loving all of the fresh fruit! Also, unless I missed a post, I cannot wait to hear your Bachelor reaction. I stayed away most of the season but caught enough to be surprised (to say the least!).

You are reading my mind! I recently started incorporating more healthy snacks into my routine and I need ideas! I’ve been making oatmeal “cookies” with banana and peanut butter and loving them! The recipe I have is great because you can sub in applesauce or pumpkin for the banana or add in different nut butters or fruits. So yum!

Those all look good! I find it difficult to have tasty snacks at work. I tried just fresh fruit every day but that gets old. I’m trying not to fall into too many processed foods for snacks but without a kitchen it’s a bit hard. These are some great ideas I will have to try out!

I love veggie burgers as snacks when I’m home. At work though, I usually bring some kind of cheese (like babybels) and fruit. You reminded me that I also love cottage cheese! I used to put fresh chives in it and use it as a dip with whole wheat crackers. Yum!

ohh I love all these snacks! I try to get as many fruits and protein into my snacks as well. Ex: cottage cheese+greek yogurt mixed with fruit, cinnamon, chia seeds, and protein frosting (protein powder+milk+nut butter), and coconut butter on top with some granola. Mmmmm!

Your snacks look very similar to mine! I love mixing cottage cheese with frozen fruit, then letting it sit while I’m at my desk at work in the morning. By the time my ‘snack time’ rolls around at 11am, the juices seep into the cottage cheese to sweeten it. Delish!

• Jennifer says

I like to get fresh brussels sprouts, take off any tough stem parts and any brown leaves then rinse and dry. Cut into halves, toss with a T of olive oil and some seasonings (you can use basil, sea salt, garlic, etc.) and put in a metal baking dish. Bake @ 350 until they get to your preferred doneness.

I want a snack now! I love cottage cheese, yogurt (obv) and any fruit for snacks. I am going to have to remember to have ricotta cheese as snack too at some point. The problem is that ricotta doesn’t come in small individual containers right? At least not near me (I think). 🙁

9. Sarah W. says

Chobani & piece of fruit
    String Cheese & piece of fruit
    Nuts & piece of fruit
    String Cheese & Hard Boiled Egg (or egg whites)
    Pure Protein or Think thin bars (20g protein/200 cal)
    Muscle Milk Light boxes (150cals and 20g protein)

The bars and muscle milk are not exactly the least processed, however, they are good for in a pinch and pack a nice protein punch

your snacks look very similar to mine! my new fav has been cottage cheese mixed with salsa and veggies to dip…sounds kinda weird but it’s really good!

11. Kelley says

I love this post! It is always great to have fun and healthy snack ideas in mind, especially in the office. I have noticed when I have a healthy snack planned for my mid-day break it is much easier to resist the junk food in the office snack kitchen.

all of your snack ideas are some of my favorites too! i also love a banana with nut butter, a small bowl of oatmeal w/ nut butter, a larabar or luna bar, or trail mix are some of my other favorites. obviously i love nuts and nut butters! 🙂

13. Amanda says

My favorite snack is the Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte Larabar. I sometimes eat two a day in between meals. They are so good and satisfying!

14. Yellow Haired Girl says

I’m a Greek yogurt/peanut butter/banana bowl kind of person, but I’m a new cottage cheese addict! Loving it – used to detest it!

15. Caroline @ After Dinner Dance says

Everyone keeps talking about cottage cheese and ricotta cheese – I guess I should finally try them! I’m in a Greek yogurt snack rut 🙂

I love cottage cheese:
    I love it with beets cut up in it and salt pepper and garlic
    or pickles, salt pepper and garlic
    I’ve loved the salt, pepper and garlic cottage cheese combo since I was a kid!
    Also dipping wheat thins in cottage cheese is delicious.

I also love to snack on dry cereal, yogurt, pickles

17. Nicole says

My standard snacks are almonds and berries, apples, cheese sticks, PB or almond butter on graham crackers or just plain, yogurt/cottage cheese and any kind of fruit…pretty much the kitchen sink!

18. Katie says

I put peanut butter in the bottom of a bowl and microwave it until it melts. Then I dump in a container of greek yogurt (usually plain, but use whatever floats your boat) and mix, mix, mix! It gets really fluffy and almost like a PB mousse. Top with fruit/granola as you wish. YUM!

19. Cynthia says

Lately, my favorite snacks are carrots dipped in Trader Joe’s spicy hummus (awesome!) or toasted english muffin with nut butter. Since it is getting warmer, I have also been craving smoothies like crazy.

20. Lisa says

Celery with a laughing cow (light) cheese wedge or two! The cheese tastes super indulgent and creamy and the celery is crunchy which keeps me from snacking on other not-so-good for you crunchy snacks like chips!

21. Jackie E says

It’s eerie how you read my mind..I was searching the internet last night for hours looking for healthy snack ideas! Thank you for this post!!

My favorite snack to grab when I’m at home is a little cup of cereal! I never crave cereal for breakfast but I DO crave it as an afternoon or evening snack!

For bring to school snacks I like pistachios, fruit and nut butter, or half portions of overnight oats in my baby mason jar!

23. Ruth says

Oh, I saw someone else had mentioned Brussel Sprouts. We hadn’t eaten them since either of us were kids, and both felt an irrational dislike of them without even knowing if we liked them. But since I saw you roast them like the cabbage and other veggies, I figured….gotta try. And lo and behold! We loved them!! We were both instant fans, lol….go figure….cook them an adult modern way instead of the old “boil it till it’s mush” and they are delish!! Thanks!! Oh, and can I get any more exclamation points in this? hahaha!!!

24. Lori Candland says

Brussel Sprouts are WONDERFUL! preheat oven 400 degrees.Cut into thirds, lightly toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes. Yum Yum

I like Liberte Greek yogurt (lemon or coconut/or a mix of the two) with a few Shreddies on top along with a few pistachios (in the shell…love cracking them!)

Thanks for the snack ideas! You have some of my favorites, plus some new ones up there. Some of my favorites are muffin, homemade snack bar, or healthy cookie since they are easy to bake and change up for variety. As well as eggs, and spinach, or greek yogurt and fruit with a sprinkling of cereal.

27. Valerie @ FreshMutz says

In no particular order: apple with nut butter (cashew, peanut, almond, walnut — all glorious); dry roasted cashews (i’m addicted); quest bar (all natural, gluten free, low carb, whey protein bar); fruit

Thanks to your post the other day, I made myself salmon salad for the first time ever! It was great- very similar to tuna salad, but a nice change up!
    I’m big on cottage cheese with pumpkin and peanut flour or smoothies for a snack.

29. Durlene Mayfield says

It would be very nice to have the recipe to the salmon salad. It looks very good and I would love to make it

30. Caitlin says

About a month ago I was in search of some new snacks ’cause I was beyond bored with my current snack rotation. I came across the list that I had pinned and decided to go with the cottage cheese, apple, and cinnamon. Growing up I detested cottage cheese, but figured I’d give it another go. OMG. I eat this everyday alongside some steamed veggies with my lunch and I LOVE it. I’ve subbed the apples a few times with sliced peaches or mixed berries, depending on what I have on hand.