Healthy Honey Almond Hazelnut Granola Bars

I promised you a recipe last night!

healthy granola bar recipe 005

Here’s the good news/bad news about these bars: You’ll want to eat all of them in one sitting… but the recipe only makes four bars, so if you do, you’ll be out of luck when you get a craving for another one later in the day.

Sooo, they require that you exercise some kind of self control if you want to have granola bars that last you longer than 20 minutes.

Or you could always double the recipe. That works, too.

healthy granola bar recipe 013

After receiving an email from a blog reader in need of some recipes for one person a couple of weeks ago, I figured this recipe would be a great fit for those of you out there who want to do some baking and make a homemade healthy snack, but don’t want to be left with a dozen pumpkin oatmeal muffins or a huge batch of peanut butter protein bars to devour yourself.

healthy granola bar recipe 008

These granola bars are soft and chewy and full of nuts to keep you full. With minimal ingredients, they are not complicated and can be made within 20 minutes from start to finish.

Healthy Honey Almond Hazelnut Granola Bars

• 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
  • 1 egg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine oats, wheat bran, cinnamon, almonds and hazelnuts in a bowl, stirring until ingredients are evenly distributed
  3. Mix honey, canola oil, vanilla or almond extract together in another bowl.
  4. Pour honey mixture over dry mixture, stirring together thoroughly.
  5. Add egg and stir to combine.
  6. Press mixture into the bottom of a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool completely.
  8. Cut into bars and enjoy.

healthy granola bar recipe 003

Enjoy!

Comments

Mmmm sounds yummy! I love making granola bars because you can mix up the ingredients every time, so they never get boring! I’m eating a homemade chocolate one right now and am kinda sad that it’s almost gone lol! Awesome recipe for a Friday Julie! :)

2. Nicole says

Agreed, awesome recipe for a Friday- definately need to make these this weekend! They look so good…Have a great weekend :)

I love that this recipe only makes a few servings rather than a huge batch. I always find I am more likely to snack on more treats the longer they sit around. These look like a healthier sweet treat that would make a great snack too!

Ahhh those look so good, and healthy! I’m always looking for recipes for my own bars. Do you think using a whole cup oats would work instead of the wheat bran? I’m gluten intolerant so I’m not sure what to substitute for that bit…

5. Rachel says

any ideas on a substitution for the wheat bran? i can’t eat gluten so i’d have to replace that with something else.

thanks!

• says

if i adapt the recipe from an original recipe somewhere, i always link to the original! if i don’t mention an original recipe, it means i just made it up or i changed a recipe so much that it’s nowhere near the same recipe as the original.

6. Casey says

These look great Julie! Do you think I could sub hazelnut butter for the hazelnuts, or would that make the consistency weird?

Julie, these look incredible! Every time I try to make granola bars, my wet to dry ratio never seems to come out. Either way too wet or way too dry. I’ll have to give these a try.

8. Jennifer says

ahh awesome! i’ve been looking for a healthy granola bar recipe that doesn’t require me adding a load of sugar into the recipe! i can’t wait to make these :)

9. Svitlana says

Great recipe, Julie! I just made them with seeds instead of nuts (did not have any nuts on hand) and added coconut and strawberry. I also used coconut oil instead of canola. They were delicious and gone too fast. My 3 y.o. loved them.

10. Nicole says

These look so yummy!! I love how it is a small portion as well, perfect for my room mate and I to share this weekend :) Thanks!!

11. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers says

Yummy! I was thinking of baking today, and this may have just pushed me over the edge. :)

12. Elizabeth says

Oh man are these good!! I didn’t have hazelnuts so I used walnuts instead and I added cacao chips. That last addition may not have been a good idea because now I really can’t stop eating them!! Thank you for the great recipes and inspiring me to cook/bake!