Carnival Sensation Cruise: Day One

On Thursday afternoon, a group of 10 of us boarded the Carnival Sensation!

carnival sensation

For those who live within driving distance of a cruise port, cruises are a great way to go on an inexpensive vacation since we only need to park at the port and hop aboard. No flights! I’ve gone on a small handful of cruises, never paying more than $300 which includes a small room and every single meal.

Most cruises charge extra for drinks, spa services, fitness classes and excursions. Since we typically bring our own liquor aboard the ship (you can prepay for bottles to be in your room upon arrival and every guest is allowed to bring a bottle of champagne or wine aboard a Carnival cruise) and do the cheapest excursions imaginable (booze cruise!), a weekend cruise ends up being quite affordable when compared to flying somewhere, paying for a hotel and lots of meals and drinks out at restaurants. It always seems like at least half of the people aboard cruise ships leaving from Florida are from Florida.

Our cruise group included me and Ryan, my sister Leslie and her boyfriend Ross, my former sorority sisters and friends Laurel and Leah, Leah’s fiancé Ricky, Leah’s sister Jenn, Ryan’s cousin Daniel and Daniel’s friend Ryan.

Got that? Winking smile

It was a fun group!

Carnival Sensation Cruise: Day One

When we arrived aboard the ship, we hit up the lunch buffet before we dropped off stuff in our room and mixed ourselves drinks using the vodka we preordered. We then took our drinks to the Lido Deck at the top of the ship to get the fun started!

cruise 134

cruise 135

We didn’t have long before all cruise passengers were required to participate in a safety drill just in case the worst should happen while we were at sea.

Once the drill was over, we went back to our rooms to see if our luggage was delivered, changed into our bathing suits, refreshed our drinks and headed back to the Lido Deck where we spent the rest of the afternoon.

cruise 138cruise 13901

cruise 137-001

cruise 142cruise 143

Our group had an 8:15 p.m. dinnertime and headed back to our rooms a little before then to get ready for our first dinner aboard the ship.

cruise 144

cruise 150

cruise 151

Since I wasn’t in blogger-mode at all, I didn’t snap any pictures at dinner but enjoyed the first of three three-course dinners on the Carnival Sensation. I loved the food and dinners were always one of my favorite times on the ship!

After dinner on the first night, we headed out to one of the clubs aboard the cruise and had a good time watching people perform karaoke (we even saw a proposal!) before calling it a night.

It was a great start to a great cruise!

Comments

This sounds like so much fun! And it’s awesome that you had such a big group of friends all together. You girls all look super cute dressed for dinner! I’ve only been on one cruise, and the three-course dinners were definitely some of my favorite things about it – so decadent. Can’t wait to see pictures of your America-themed dinner :)

So fun!! My husband and I are heading out on our 3rd cruise May 20 on Carnival. So excited for a fun get-a-way! Tell me more about this pre-ordering alcohol bottles!

Since they started running cruises out of the Baltimore port, I’ve been wanting to take advantage of living so close! My boyfriend and I came very close to booking a cruise during my spring break but, unfortunately, it was SUPER expensive (since we’d be leaving during peak-vacation time). We’re thinking we might try again next summer!

Looks like a great time!

I’m cruising Carnival in 24 days, glad you posted about the pre-ordering liquor! I knew about the wine, but not about that! $60/bottle is pricey, but I suppose it’s cheaper than if we bought all our drinks – we were just planning on being… ahem… discrete.

You are so lucky that you live so close to a cruise port! I would totally go on a cruise if I didn’t have to pay for airfare!

I didn’t know about the BYOB! That is pretty cool. Sounds like a fun first day so far! :)

6. Jennifer says

Looks like day 1 was a lot of fun and I’m sure the rest were just as great!!! We love going on cruises and go every year over Thanksgiving. My husband proposed during our first cruise together, Thanksgiving Day, on a staircase in front of about 20 of our friends/family and a lot of others, and now it has become our tradition to celebrate that day on a cruise :)

I’m a little jealous that you live so close to a cruise area! The closest one to me is 10 hours away but I’m thinkin I may roadtrip it one of these days. I love the BYOB rule, sounds like a lot of money saved that way.

I love cruises! Most cruises leave from LA but since that’s just a short flight away, they are really cost efficient. I’d never heard of buying liquor for the room but that’s a great idea to save some $! You all look so cute in your formal outfits and everyone looks like they are having a blast! Can’t wait to hear more!

So far I’ve only taken vacations with friends or a significant other and think combining both would be sooooo much fun.

Also, I LOVE Leslie’s day dress!! Where is it from?

I use that aerolatte frother every single morning! It turns regular coffee into a latte and just tastes that much better! To get the most froth you have to froth the milk while it’s cold and then either microwave it or just pour your coffee in. I find that it stays frothy way longer than when I used to froth it while warming it on the stove top! Then I grate Trader Joe’s coffee/chocolate/sugar grinder on top and it tastes super gourmet for a homemade cup of coffee ;)

I love your swimsuit top b/c it’s my FAVE color! You look really good in green btw! ;) I really would love to try a cruise where I spend overnight (been on a dinner cruise where I was proposed to teeehee), but I always get scared of getting sea sick. I was traumatized on a sailboat once! :P

We just booked a December cruise on board the SENSATION! I can’t wait! Been on two cruises but was under 21 for both and I am SO excited to hear about this new alcohol rule! Each person is allowed 1 bottle? Excellent!

13. Katie says

Being close to all sorts of great vacations is one of the reasons I love living in Florida! It’s great deciding at the end of January that you want to go on a spring break cruise at the beginning of March and not needing to worry about anything travel-related but driving to the port :) Your cruise looks like so much fun! My family took a cruise on the Imagination a few years ago and I loved Carnival.

14. Brittney says

How do you go about booking a cheap cruise? Everyone always talks about how they do it but when I go on cruise websites it’s always more than $300. I just don’t know where to look!