Simple Summer Chili

When it came time to make dinner this evening, I wanted comfort food. It was pouring outside and a warm, cozy meal sounded appealing.

I put on my pajamas, headed into the kitchen and got to work.

Hello, chili!

easy chili 005

Tonight’s chili came together quickly and didn’t require too much work. We let it simmer on the stovetop while doing some stuff around the house, but other than waiting for the chili to soak up all the yummy spices, this dish didn’t require too much time to make.

easy chili 022

Directions

1. Pour olive oil into a large pot on medium heat and add onion and zucchini
  2. Allow vegetables to sauté until onion becomes opaque, about 5 minutes
  3. Add ground beef to vegetables and stir until meat is browned
  4. Drain any excess fat from pan before adding remaining ingredients
  5. Allow to simmer on low for approximately 45 minutes
  6. Enjoy topped with shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream or simply as is

easy chili 031-001

Now that our bellies are full of chili, Ryan and I have plans to be lazy and watch a movie. That’s what you’re supposed to do when it’s raining like crazy outside, right?

See ya in the morning!

Comments

1. Brenda says

I had to chuckle when I saw your post about chili… I just got home a little while ago from a sweaty workout at my local gym…and it’s 95 degrees here today…and I come in the door to my sweet husband cooking…..yep, chili! After I cooled off, it was actually a nice change to have chili in the middle of the summer. :)

2. Steph says

Do you have any suggestion for workouts for thighs and hips? I do cardio 3x a week and also do weight training. However, when I do weight training for legs I do a lot of lunges, squats, calve raises, leg press, and hip abductor machines… But I never feel like my hips and inner thighs are targeted to be slimmer when doing them. Any suggestions on a specific move that would be good to add to a leg circuit?!

Thanks! :)

3. @pluvk says

I miss the rain… I know that sounds strange during summer, but it’s been so hot! I’d love for one day of stay-in and cuddle weather. I’m going to have to save this chili recipe for that day!! :-)

4. Rebecca says

I recently stumbled across your blog when I was searching clean eating on google and I’m so glad i did! I am all the way from Australia and love reading about your healthy lifestyle each day. It is truly motivating and your recipes are great! I was just thinking this morning about how I could add chilli into my diet as i hear it is realllyyyyyyy good for you then I open up your page and this post is here! Freaky! Thank you thank you thank you, and keep up what you are doing!

The only way to spend a rainy day in my opinion is with pajamas, hot chocolate, movies, and chilli, just so comforting!
    We get so much rain where I live, so its pretty normal for us to have those rainy days.

6. Sarah says

And you’ve just convinced me that this chili recipe is perfect for our dinner tonight. I have all these ingredients already on hand-and I’m looking for new ways in eat our abundance of zucchinis yay!

This looks great Julie! Isn’t this rain crazy? It’s actually my favorite time of year – I feel so cozy with all these storms!

Just a quick note – you left out the number of minutes on step 2 of the Directions ;)

Looks yummy – will add to my arsenal!

xoxo
    Cheri

Looks yummy! I am missing the rain for sure! We are in the middle of a terrible drought. When we do get a good storm, I plan to open every window in the house, grab a blanket and a book and just relax. Maybe I’ll even make some chili =)

9. MarthaLoraine says

I stumbled upon your website via pinterest and i love looking at your recipes. I’m defiantly going to make this but i was wondering if you knew about how many servings it makes? I’m probably going to leave the meat out add more beans and make a veggie chili for just me while my boyfriend makes his own chili.