Finding Success Where You Are Now

At first I thought today was going to be a cereal for lunch kind of day.

honey nut chex 002

I began my midday meal with a bowl of Honey Nut Chex but 20 minutes later when I wised up and realized cereal keeps me full for 2.3 seconds, I made myself a satiating protein smoothie.

protein smoothie

In the blender:

• 1 frozen banana
  • 1 handful frozen strawberries
  • 1 scoop fitmixer chocolate milkshake protein powder
  • 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
  • Enough almond milk to get everything moving

smoothie chocolate spinach

Much better.

Now it’s time to move on to something I’ve been thinking about a lot this week: Success and feeling grateful for our achievements and the blessings we have in our lives right now.

Finding Success Where You Are Now

Last summer I attended a church service where the pastor addressed success. He said that so often we are reaching for the next thing and the next milestone in our lives that we forget to enjoy our current successes.

I stumbled upon my notes from this service last weekend and it really got me thinking.

notebook 003

We achieve so many of the goals we set for ourselves in life, but rather than enjoy the process and the end result, we immediately reach for the next thing.

I bet a famous actor at one time just wanted a part in their high school play. Then they wanted to be cast as an extra in a movie or star in a commercial. Then they wanted to move to Los Angeles and get a supporting role in a movie. Then they wanted to get a staring role. Then they wanted to win an Oscar. I bet if you would’ve told that high school student that they would simply have a role in a movie at all that they would be so excited!

It was a very eye-opening service for me, because I often set goals for myself and once I reach a goal, I rarely take time to acknowledge or even enjoy the achievement, and simply make another goal and begin again.

We often focus on what we want and what we don’t have rather than what we do have and what we already achieved.

You’ve likely achieved some kind of a goal you had in your mind for yourself to get you to the point where you are in your life right now.

Maybe you can’t find a job right now… or maybe your job totally sucks. Well, you did graduate from college and that’s a pretty awesome achievement. I bet there was a point you were just hoping to get into a certain college. And that sucky job? It will help you gain experience to apply to your next job.

The example my pastor gave related to salaries. Once you get that raise you’ve been coveting, you’re happy, but it doesn’t take too long before you want more… and more… and more.

That’s great… on some levels. Being ambitious and setting goals is incredibly important. Working hard is important.

But so is recognizing your success and enjoying the little everyday successes. Take time to recognize the amazing relationships you have with your sister, husband, children or friends that you work hard to make a priority in your life. Feel proud of the degree you busted your butt to obtain a few years ago. Pat yourself on the back for making it to the gym four times last week. Acknowledge the positive feedback you got from your boss on Monday.

Celebrating the success and achievements we have in our lives is so important. Making goals is important. But being blinded by these goals can be destructive and cause us to miss out on enjoying the rewards of our hard work and the success that comes our way because of our efforts.

There’s always a better job, more money or someone achieving something amazing that you only dream of achieving, but if we only focus on what we don’t have, we’ll miss out on all of the blessings and successes that are right in front of us every single day.

(And just so you don’t think I’m telling you to chill out and be complacent and never try to achieve anything in life, if you have a BIG goal in your mind that you want to go for, GO FOR IT, just remember to celebrate the little milestones along the way. If you’re struggling with self doubt about whether or not you can achieve that goal, you might be interested in this past post: Changing “Yes But” to “Yes And.”)

Questions of the Afternoon

• What was the last major goal you set out to accomplish that you achieved? Did you take time to celebrate your success?

Comments

I am finding success with the fact that I am pursuing my dream of being a health coach. It’s hard, because I’m a teacher, but I was really passionate about doing this. So, I guess it’s been an interesting transition, and I need to remember how lucky I am to have these opportunities and enjoy it all. I love teaching, and also love the health coaching. I will graduate with my certification in February, but within the next 2 weeks, we’ll hit the half-way mark! I think that’s worth celebrating! :)

Loving this blog post right about now. I am definitely in a place in my life where I need to think about reveling in the successes I have achieved. It reminds me of one of my very favorite pieces of advice, called “Ten Rules For Being Human” by Dr. Cherie Carter-Scott. #6 says: “‘There’ is no better than “here”. When your “there” has become “here” you will simply obtain another “there” that will look better to you than your present “here'”.

• says

“‘There’ is no better than “here”. When your “there” has become “here” you will simply obtain another “there” that will look better to you than your present “here’”.

I had to read this a couple of times, but I really like it. I’m kind of at a similar place – my hard work is (finally) paying off, but going onto cruise control feels strange and uncomfortable.

For me, it’s either GO! GO! or stagnation, but my husband said it best the other day, “There’s a place between 0 and 60.”

great post Julie! i’m so busy looking months down the road that I often forget to take a moment and enjoy the accomplishments i’ve made so far.. Sure, I may not be where I want to be right now but I should be lucky that I have what I actually do have. :)

4. Teresa says

I took both Ohio License exams for early elementary education on the same day in July. Despite entering the exam process with a positive attitude and security in God’s plan for me, I left them feeling deflated and unsure. I struggled to stay positive until the results were released on Tuesday. I passed BOTH exams with perfect scores. I am that much closer to becoming a teacher!

Great post Julie! I like your thought provoking posts. More often than not, they truly do hit home for me. My current job has had its struggles lately, and I find myself wishing my way out of it and on to something else at times. However, I know it’s where God wants me now, and I HAVE done a good job and reached many goals where I’m at. Rather than feeling down about things and wishing for something new and different, I need to consistently remind myself of the GOOD that has come out of it!

• says

i’ve been there, ashley, and completely know what you mean. my second job out of college was awful. i knew the job would look great on paper and was providing me with beneficial experience, but i couldn’t STAND it and wanted out. i knew i had to make a change, but since i couldn’t leave right away, i tried VERY hard to remind myself that the job was just a stepping stone and not my “forever.” i’m wishing for GREAT things for you!!

• says

I am in the exact position Ashley! I got my very first full-time job at an amazing non-profit where I’ve interned for two years. However, jumping into a new position at the height of our busiest season (we run a ten week summer music series) has had it’s growing pains, and I find myself complaining about the job more than I celebrate all of the hard work that I’ve done. I have to remind myself that every job is hard in the beginning and that each day I’m learning and becoming a better employee, and that this is what I’ve wanted for two years!

Thank you Julie, I love your blog!

i loved reading this post!!

the last major goal i set out to accomplish was to get into the my top college that i really wanted to go to – and i did it! i am leaving for school in a month and couldn’t be more excited :)

Great thoughts! I truly believe we would all be happier if we lived in the moment more often, and relaxed and looked around at what we DO have around us.

Goals are great–for sure, but too often the act of actually achieving it gets forgotten in the moment of moving on to the next great thing. Happiness comes from being content with who you are and what you’re becoming, while balancing the drive to continue moving forward. It’s being thankful while not being complacent. Tough balance sometimes! :)

I LOVE smoothies mid day with tons of spinach in them too!

• says

i love this comment, annette!! “Happiness comes from being content with who you are and what you’re becoming, while balancing the drive to continue moving forward. It’s being thankful while not being complacent. Tough balance sometimes!” <– love it!

Great post, Julie. Thanks for writing about this. The last major goal I accomplished was creating a tool that helps people avoid food waste. People like it and it works and it has a positive impact on our planet. Before jumping on to the next thing, I guess I should take a minute to just enjoy that good feeling 😉

9. Arelis says

Thanks for posting this!..I find myself so many times achieving little goals but always stressing about the next one…I didn’t see it that way..mostly because I have the tendency to compare myself to others….but taking the time to look at what I have NOW and the blessings that sorround my life at this very moment certainly put a smile in my face and the most important thing it’s the fact that I’m enjoying them vs. not even taking the time to consider them and validate them…so, thanks julie :)

10. abby r says

thank you for posting this. i am so glad that i came across your blog. i just started medical school last week and have my first exam tomorrow. it is hard to have the confidence and faith in myself but recognizing my small accomplishments that have led me to this point are important and should give me the pat on the back that i need for tomorrow. thank you

This is a great post. I feel like I need to take this to heart right now. I’m finding myself getting into a rut about future things or wishing I was in a different position than I’m in now. I need to take time to be thankful. Thanks for this post :-)

This is so true, and something I think many of us do not do. It is about celebrating the present as well. I never really thought about it a year ago but when I ran my first full marathon, sure I was thrilled but right away it was about planning my next race, and the even better time I would get. I never really stepped back and thought maybe I should just enjoy this success versus already planning for my next one. Great post Julie!

13. Molly says

Julie,
    I just graduated from UCF and have been having the WORST luck with job hunting. I think my part time job isn’t great and that I’ll never find anything better. I’ve been struggling with this a lot this week and it seems like this post couldn’t have come at a better time. Thank you for helping me see and appreciate the little things that are still so positive in my life right now. :)

14. Arelis says

And boy, do I know! That’s why I love your blog and it a “must” for me everyday!! I think you are a very sweet girl :) I see you as one of my GF! LOL!

15. jacki says

Love this post today! Definitely needed this to take a step back and realize all of the great accomplishments we have had in order to get to where we are today. I am a new PBF reader and have been so inspiried and motivated daily since I started reading! Thank YOU!!

16. Shannon says

It seems that I am not the only one who can seriously relate to this topic. I did not even go to my college graduation last year because it was “meaningless” in regards to my post-secondary education goals. My parents were disappointed and I still regret my decision. At one point, my bachelor’s degree was the big goal. So why did I make it seem so miniscule once I finally achieved it? Thank you for the post, Julie! You have really touched home with me on this one. From now on I will make an effort to celebrate the “little” things =)

17. Laura B. says

Perfect timing for this post. I am stepping back into the classroom after 30 years. This week I have started a masters in the art of teaching. I also sent my child off to her second year of college. A lot of great things happening in our house. Love your blog and style of writing.

Wow, this was such a moving post. The last major accomplishment in my life was graduating from my Masters 2 years early. I didn’t even think it was anything until I read this actually.. everyone kept saying how I should be really proud, but all I focused on was how I didn’t have a job I wanted to yet.. and still don’t. I guess when I take a step back I really did put a lot of hard work into finishing so quickly.. and with honors :)

Wow, your timing is perfect Julie. I just wrote a post today about how I feel very stagnant and disappointed with my life. Reading what your pastor said, and your take on how that helped you, and encouraged you to see the positive. You are right, its the little moments that really deserve to be celebrated. We can’t get to the bigger goals without first making it to the smaller ones. Thanks so much for this. You really helped my outlook on things today.
    ~Cat

I’ve been trying to set mini-goals for myself while in grad school, since the idea of completing all the work for my Master’s seemed SO overwhelming when I started. Just this summer, I hit my second-to-last major milestone/goal: finishing 30 credits of course work (enough to apply for a raise! WAHOO!) Now I need to complete my research and finish the last few chapters of my thesis and then I’m DONE. Breaking up a huge goal into little pieces was a key step to mentally tackling this whole thing.

this is such a great post and so very true. Unfortunately we live in a society that teaches us to always want more and never settle for anything less. It is so very important to celebrate the little things rather then just jumping ahead to what is next. I try to remember the celebrate the little things I have achieved. I think having a good support system helps keep us in check and they help you celebrate those life goals you set up for yourself.

Great post! I have been doing a lot of soul searching about my career. Even though my job is not fulfilling in many ways, I did work hard to get here. Even though this is not the job for me, I am really good at it, and get job offers all the time. Plus, I wouldn’t have met an amazing man if I didn’t do what I do! Thanks for helping me remind myself of these things!

23. Laura says

What a great post! I’m so glad you talked about this. I know I’m so busy working towards my masters degree that I never have time to celebrate what I have done. For example I got a 4.0 for my summer courses but started the fall semester 2 days after getting my grades I never got to enjoy the moment. While I know I am being productive and happy with my work I feel like checking it off my list while writing in more things is not a celebration.

24. Michelle says

Julie,

What a fantastic post! I seem to pine away for things I don’t have instead of enjoying all the great things I am blessed with.

Ps I love your blog. I found it when I googled chia seed recipes!

25. Annie says

oh how you are right! Here I am complaining that i don’t have any time for myself because I’m balancing 2 part time jobs and my masters degree but a couple of months ago I was stressed out of my mind because I thought I wouldn’t be able to even find one let alone 2!

On another note I’ve also been pretty annoyed that I can’t seem to increase my running times and that my legs won’t run more without getting injured but then again, this time last year I wasn’t running at all!!

I really like this post! I need to live by these words a little more. The most recent major goal I completed was to stop binge eating (I used to have major problems with it). I’ve eaten poorly several times since I set that goal, but I haven’t binged once. It’s hard to not get down on myself for not making the healthiest decisions 100% of the time, but I need to accept that I make healthy decisions about 90% of the time, which is fantastic.

This post hit home for me on so many levels, thank you, Julie, for taking the time to talk about this. I needed to hear this, and I need it to be from someone other than my husband. I’m the girl that you are talking about, got into the college of my dreams, finished my degree in 4 years, and now have quite possibly the worst job ever. Everyday is a struggle to come home happy. But my goal is to immerse my free time into a blog and Etsy store, and while that idea is so been there done that by millions of people, I’m convinced it will make me happy. Yesterday I celebrated writing my store polices, and today I’m celebrating starting a Facebook page for my blog and store. These are little steps, but sometimes, it’s the little things that get you through life.

Wow, great post, Julie! Really puts it all into perspective! My recent goal was starting my own blog, which technically is launching today!! I definitely am going to celebrate and enjoy by being patient and letting my little blog grow.

This post came at just the right time. I just talked to my therapist today about finding a new career and I have a plan to change careers and she brought up being happy with what I have in the moment. Which I often forget because I am always looking foward. I am not sure what my last big accomplishment was, I think my 1/2 marathon in April. But I know that I want my next accomplishment to be to complete the NASM CPT and Nutritionist program. Baby steps

30. Mary says

Wow. My fiance and I were just discussing this topic yesterday. I’ve felt like I have been in a total rut lately; out of college for almost 3 (?!) years now and have yet to find a career job. I’ve been playing with the idea of going back to school, but have countless excuses and reasons to put if off, but after our talk yesterday and this perfect timing of a post, I’ve decided and promised no more waiting. I plan on taking the step to get back into school as soon we return from our honeymoon. Thank you!

Julie,

Your post spoke more to me that you’d ever know! I am going through this exact stage in my life right now, where I have been out of college and working at my current job for nearly a year. I was recently discouraged because I am ready to take the next step and take on more of a challenge (and also, a higher salary in return for a greater challenge)….but at my current job, this isn’t going to happen right now. I do plan to start pursuing other opportunities, but in the meantime, I realized that I have let it disrupt other areas of my life…and that’s not okay. Thank you for your words of advice – I’m going to work on ENJOYING where I am now and working patiently on achieving my goals! :)

My last major goal was to get a permanent position at a law firm – any law firm. I ended up getting on at the firm I was already at! And to this day I still celebrate that accomplishment … I worked 1.5 years for it .. surely it deserves 1.5 years of celebration?? haha.
    BUT what you said holds true to pretty much everything else in my life. I forget to acknowledge and appreciate what I have and what I have accomplished as of today. Thanks for the reminder!

33. Morgan says

I really needed this today, thank you. All day I have been fixated on how things are taking longer than I had planned and feeling down about where I am in my life. It was a nice reminder.

34. Sydney Fitz says

Thank you SO very much for this post. It could not have come at a better time. I have been struggling the last month and this was a wonderful reminder to be proud and grateful for all the blessings in my life and of what I have accomplished. To not dwell on the negative that I have no control over but work towards the things I can.

35. Emily says

based on all the other comments, I think you did a great thing with this post by reminding us all to appreciate ourselves a little more!! I’m totally guilty of not taking a minute to see how far I’ve come, and how at one point, where I am NOW is where I once wanted to be! Life is tricky like that

GREAT post Julie! it’s so true that once we accomplish one thing, we immediately move on to the next. I didn’t realize how much I’d accomplished until someone recently asked me what my biggest fitness achievements are to date. I recently ran a half marathon that I was barely able to train for because i had Achilles tendinitis until about 3 weeks before the race. I managed to finish in 1:33:58, which was less than 1 minute slower than my all-time PR from when I was at my fittest in university. I also sprained my SI joint at the 8th km of the race, so I ran in pain for the majority. Given my 2 injuries, I was very proud of myself!

This is a great post! I have been thinking about this a lot lately. My husband just started his last year of law school, so he is applying for jobs, and we are planning for the next phase of our lives. I keep trying to tell him (and myself) that we shouldn’t wish this time period away because he’s in the homestretch of law school AND we are newlyweds going through this together. Post-law school will come with its own stresses! I’m glad to hear so many people agree with you on this post!

Wow, Julie, this was so thought provoking. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it. This isn’t something I think about very often at all, but you’re completely right. I’m looking right now to take the next step with my career, and I’m always so focused on where I’ll be next that I spend very little time feeling grateful for where I am now–like the fact that I’m employed and have a great boss and nice colleagues. Thank you.

What a lovely post. I fall into the category that is afraid to make goals because I am already anticipating failure. And you are right, some of that is probably because I didn’t celebrate any success in the first place!

I always remember your “yes and” post.

• Debbie says

“…afraid to make goals because I am already anticipating failure” – wow, this really resonated with me, and something I totally relate to. I think the problem is we do this without even realising. It is like a default setting. It takes work, and conscious reminders such this post to remember to step back and be grateful for what we have, and celebrate that.

• says

Thanks for your reply Debbie and I totally agree…we do it without even thinking. To be honest it wasn’t until reading this post and being asked about my latest goals that I realized I wasn’t comfortable setting them and why.

It makes me want to suck it up and write down some major goals…hey, no one has to see them right?

40. Kaelin says

This is a great post! Jillian Michaels shared similar thoughts on a recent podcast about acknowledging our current successes before moving forward for the next success. She said she was always moving onward and upwarding and never living in sunshine of her accomplishments. It’s a great message for all of us Type A people, we want to keep going, keep reaching, never satisfied.

I just had a giant bowl of cereal for a snack, so I know it wouldn’t hold me over for lunch!

What an amazing post! This is such a great reminder, and I think many of us do overlook how much we have accomplished in our lives. My last major goal was to get into a post-bac pre-med program, so I could begin my journey to become a physician. This was almost a year ago, and now that I look back, I can’t believe how much I have accomplished since then (and how much time flies!!).

Another major goal I’ve been working towards is starting my own healthy living blog..which just happened a few days ago. I’ve been thinking about it for years and finally gathered the courage to do it. I didn’t actually do anything to celebrate, but I’m extremely happy and proud of myself for taking the first step. Thanks for sharing this post..I love it! Sorry for writing you a book:)

42. Kyra says

I promised myself even before I entered college that I was going to study abroad. My junior year is about to start and I’m headed to Japan for ten months! I’m super excited about it, but I also notice myself thinking about what comes next. Like which classes I’ll take when I get back from Japan, and which Universities to apply for my masters at. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate what we already have!

Last major goal was weight loss last year for my wedding dress and yes I made it. Currently I have 2 major goals now, one being getting fit for my first trip out of the country in June and getting a job. We’ll see how it goes!

You posted this at the PERFECT time!! Yesterday, I found out that I didn’t get a job that I really wanted. I was, admittedly, a little upset. But I reminded myself that there are always other jobs. Then I got to thinking about it and remembered (duh!) the fact that I have a really great job that I love right now. Sure, the other one would have been a nice promotion, but if I have to stay in my job, I’m not going to be unhappy about it.

It’s all about perspective. Thank you for speaking about this and justifying my thoughts from yesterday!! :)

45. Debbie says

Buddha Julie. Sincere thanks and gratitude for your words today. I am so appreciative that I can read your blog everyday, and am constantly amused, inspired and entertained. :)

Julie,

I just want to thank you so much for turning me on to protein smoothies. They are a dream come true! Especially adding spinach and cocoa powder – so many health benefits and so much flavor! Thank you for your inspiring words and positive attitude you share through your blog. I truly enjoy reading it every day! :)

Ashley

So in love with this post, Julie. I agree with so much of what you said. This is something that I too have been struggling with lately. When am I ever just satisfied? Life isn’t a dress rehearsal – this is it! So I better start enjoying it now. It’s so easy to think we have to keep going, and society and media pushes that ideal so hard. But when you take time to actually look back on what you DID do, it’s awesome! Thanks for a great post!

A major goal I set out to accomplish was deciding that corporate America was not for me. Instead of using my Business Management degree that I worked so incredibly hard for, I decided to go back to school to become a registered dietitian.

49. Danielle says

Thank you so much for this post! It’s pretty crazy that you posted this because all of this week I have been down in the dumps about my weight and how I look. Thanks for reminding me that in June I reached my goal of losing 16 pounds. I just want more for myself and want to look even better, but I have come a long way! And that 16 pounds only took me three months to lose!

Thank you so much for posting this. When I won an award at work last Friday (a) I was shocked, but proud, but (b) I kept focusing on how “I didn’t have anyone to share it with.” I had just ended a 6 month relationship, and while that doesn’t feel like a long time, he had quickly become my best friend. Not only did I to snap myself out of it and begin to tell myself “look what I acheived,” but I had to look over the failed relationship and see the strong, smart person I am. Not only should we appreciate our achievements, but we should also believe we deserve them, gain self-confidence of the person we are, and discard any negative talk.

51. Katie says

This is the post I needed after this week! I got a little talking to at work for something I did wrong in a HUGE crisis situation, a person was having a psychiatric breakdown, and after reading this it made me realize more to be proud of myself for all the correct things I did in the situation.

My biggest accomplishments lately have been finishing my Master’s degree in Psychology and getting a full time position with the city! I constantly think about how to move up and do better…though you are right, I need to be proud of where I am now!

Thanks!!

52. Naomi says

This is exactly what I needed today! I start my senior year of college next week, and I have really been struggling with deciding what to do and where to go after graduation. I find that I am too focused on the future and what is coming next that I forget to enjoy the present. Thanks for the reminder to live in the present and appreciate what I have right now. As always, I love reading your blog! :)

53. Anonymous says

Thanks for this post. I was struggling with something really dumb and vain the last few days–my wedding dress (which was previously too big now fits perfectly despite my constant working out). Those few extra pounds were really gnawing on me, but after reading this post I realized that I need to enjoy my upcoming wedding and treasure the relationships I have, such as that with my soon to be husband. That is much more important than not losing 5lbs. Life is so much more than one day and one dress. Thanks so much!

This is BY FAR one of my favorite posts! These are things that we often forget to tell ourselves to do, and it’s been great to have a reminder!

The last goal I accomplished was at the top of my leap list, Climbing the Grand Teton ourside Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was pumped, but some of my friends were happier for me than I was as I began to tell them the next climbs, hikes and adventures I wanted to attempt. Thank you for helping me realize that I should relish this achievment!

55. Brianna says

Great post Julie, too often we forget to enjoy successes.

I had a bowl of cereal for dinner, running late and wanted to get to body pump at the gym!

I have a question for you, do you ever use frozen brussel sprouts? I am not sure if they get really mushy when you cook them?

Thanks!

This is such a great post. I think it’s the perfect time of the year as we head back into fall, where we can all re-evalutate our goals, if we have accomplished them and where are we in this point of our lives.

57. Emily says

I love this post. I can never be reminded enough that I need to live in the moment and enjoy it, not always reaching for future goals. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that wall we have is right now, not tomorrow or next year. Thanks so much for this!

58. Margaret says

This was exactly what I needed. I’m in school to become a Marriage and Family Therapist and constantly tell my clients to keep a “Victory Journal”. I ask them to write in a journal at least one good thing that happened that day. This post pushed me to follow my own advice and start keeping one of my own.

Also, I did the 5X50 circuit workout tonight and am feeling like jello. Thanks for posting such awesome circuit workouts!

Love this post! As important as setting a long-term goal is, I think it’s equally crucial to set mini goals along the way…if anything it makes the feat less daunting and more realistic!

Inspirational post! As someone who deals with anxiety I am very rarely living in the now- nonetheless enjoying the now! I think it is really important to aspire to things but to also celebrate and enjoy it when you do- before moving onto the next biggest and better thing. I definitely will keep this in mind. I guess my current goals is to do more in the fitness industry and I’ve just been offered another permanent class as well as offered paid-for training in another program. Before I think about more classes and more programs I think I’ll just enjoy what I have achieved so far :) Ps. Sorry for the novel Julie!

I love this post and you are exactly right, find the success in where you are now! We just happened to stumble across a stray pit bull this past week and we are fostering her right now. She is the most happy little bundle of joy anyone could ever ask for. She has made me realize to just step back and enjoy the here and now. Amazing what a little pup could do for our well-being!

Such a great post and so true! I am always struggling with anticipating and planning for the future andlately have been really trying to just live in the present and enjoy where my life is NOW. Thanks for your encouragement!

63. Shalini says

Loved this post!! So relate-able, I think it’s hard though when everyone around is accomplishing things and you’re just sitting back and “watching”. Not that you’re not doing anything but maybe not having the same success as a friend. It goes back to the comparison trap and sometimes I think we’re trying to do the next big thing for someone else but not ourselves, but only sometimes! great post!

LOVE this post.. it’s so true. I’m the same exact way – always reaching for more or thinking about the “next step.” Thanks for writing this – I needed to hear this today! And ps. Love your “changing yes but” post too!

This post is so very true. I always worry about not doing enough and not accomplishing enough when I also need to be aware of what I have done. I worry so much that if I stop and give myself credit, I may not push myself as hard as I need to. On my weight loss journey, I feel like I have tried to find a balance between being proud of myself for what I have done and also being honest with myself about where I am presently. Thanks for this food for thought!

66. Morgan05 says

This was a wonderful post Julie. I too fall into the habit of setting goals and not celebrating my achievements. Thank you for the reminder :)

67. Kristen says

Great post! I left my job in finance a few years ago to go back to school for elementary education – super scary. One of the best things I learned getting my license was just how powerful spending time reflecting is in the growing process. I think too often I rush from one thing to the next without processing not just what I could do better next time, but what went right the first go ’round. I ended up not using my elementary license at this point, but I feel I have so much more peace with my daily life from what I picked up along the journey of changing paths for a short time.

I made it my goal to get to grad school for Criminology – and low and behold, I start in a week and a half. If you told my 12 year old self that not only would I be going to university but I’d be going back for a Masters Degree I probably wouldn’t have believed you. :-)

69. Megan says

I just want to say that Honey Nut Chex is like crack cereal. I can’t keep it in the house.

Not only do you need to celebrate small milestones on the way to a larger goal, I’ve found that you have to be flexible on the path to a goal. If you have a particular goal, don’t be surprised by bumps in the road. Just change your path a little, slow down/speed up, or take a break if you need to. It doesn’t have to mean giving up on your goal to do that. The path to achieving your goal might just be a bit different than you imagined, but that’s OK! :)

I love this post, Julie! I too, constantly feel like I’m always moving from one goal to the next and never taking any time to savor the moment. For example, we just recently moved into a our first home (of our own) in a new town and I am forever bending over backwards to do more, instead of savoring how much we have done so far. Sometimes I have to force myself to slow down and take a breath and realize how much it took to just get here.

71. Jessie says

Just stumbled upon your blog and this post. This is exactly what I needed. I have graduated from university with my dream job, but have not been celebrating this achievement this past year, but rather thinking about things that are still missing from my life. This post made me realize that I need to step back and enjoy this time that I worked so hard for.

Thanks again!!

This is such a fabulous post! It can be so easy to wish the days away while we wait for our big dreams to come try while we drudge away with the steps we have to take to get there. I’m really trying to make the most of each day, because God has adventures and blessings for us everyday!

I love this post and am really glad that I stumbled across it today! Not really enjoying my current job, but I did work really hard to get it and need to remember that if I just try to enjoy my time here, then I can move on to the next big thing. All about perspective. Thanks for sharing, sounds like you found a good church!

This post was incredibly timely. I am in a job that I’m not particularly fond of and I had such high hopes for it. This post made me realize how the experience I’m getting right now is invaluable and will prepare me for a better one in the future. Thank you so much for posting this, Julie. It definitely made me sit back and realize a lot that I was missing!

75. Meg says

Thanks for writing this. Recently I graduated from uni and accomplished my goal to run a 14k race. It’s been a busy three months achieving personal goals. Now I feel like I am in a lull, but I am not ready to make new goals just yet. I know I need to appreciate the successes that I have had and live in the moment. So thank you for this article- I feel like I am not alone in this feeling.

My last goal was getting on the vice principal’s list… I think that I enjoyed that success about as long as your cereal keeps you satisfied before I registered for my next goal which was getting a masters degree.