White Jacket Required

There’s nothing like crawling into bed with a good book at the end of the day. If I can sneak in an hour of reading before bed, I feel more relaxed and seem to drift off to sleep without a billion thoughts running through my head. I look forward to immersing myself in a different world and unwinding in bed as I flip through the pages with Sadie curled up at my feet on my face.

sleepy dog

Late Sunday afternoon, I started reading White Jacket Required, a nonfiction book by Jenna Weber, author of the blog Eat, Live, Run. I heard a lot about the book from other bloggers and after my friend Aggie said I would love it during my trip to Oregon, I ordered it on Amazon last week.

white jacket required jenna weber

Jenna’s story details her time in culinary school and the confusion she felt after college when she tried to figure out what she really wanted to do with her life. The book was an incredibly fast read and I finished it in two sittings.

Now I’m in the market for a new book! We’ll be voting on the November book club selection soon, so if you have any suggestions, let me know! (I’ll also put a call out on the PBF Facebook page before selecting the three front runners for us to vote on in a week.)

This morning was a pancake kind of morning!

pumpkin pancakes 002

I added a heaping spoonful of pumpkin and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice to Bob’s Red Mill high fiber pancake mix that I got a while back but forgot to use!

I was attracted to the seven grams of fiber and seven grams of protein in a serving of the mix since pancakes made from a mix rarely keep me full for very long. (That’s why I love protein pancakes!) Hopefully these pancakes will keep me full for a while!

pumpkin pancakes 004

Now I’m off to work through the morning before Ryan comes home at lunchtime to help me film a little video project that I have to complete for a client this afternoon. Videos make me anxious!

Question of the Morning

• If you were to write a book one day, what kind of book would you want to write?

I’ve always thought it would be really fun to write a goofy children’s book revolving around silly pictures of dogs!

Comments

I haven’t had pancakes in the longest time, and those look delicious! Writing a children’s book would be so much fun, but I would probably have an easier time writing a memoir or someone’s biography. As a writer and journalist, I love interviewing people and learning more about them, so writing an entire book about one person would be fun for me. Weird, I know. 😉

I’m a writer, and finished my first book this summer. It’s a Chick Lit spy book, “Sugar and Spies,” currently only available for eReaders (formatting for paperback is a pain in the neck). Working on book two right now, but there doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day. 🙂

Oh man I need to eat breakfast, those pancakes look amazing!

Everyone keeps telling me to write a book about the hubs and I losing 400 lbs but I don’t feel like I can write about that until we’re at goal weight. I must have 4 half written books from age 10 on. As you can see, I’m a “finish what you start” kind of gal. *rolling eyes*

I’ve been wanting to read Jenna’s book, I’ve been hearing it’s fabulous!

Considering that I’m a criminology student, I’d probably write a serial-killer (a la Dexter) or vigilante-crime-fighting novel of some sort! The heroine will eat salads and work out by day and fight crime by night :-p

Your dog is such a cutie! 🙂 I would write a book on healthy eating and living or maybe a fantasy book?? 🙂 I actually love to write and hopefully one day you will see my name in the book stores! 🙂

You should try writing that!! Sadie could be the star of the book!!! I have no idea what I’d write about… Knowing me I’d probably change the subject several times throughout writing that it wouldn’t make any sense! 🙂

I have been wanting to read that book and hoping it comes out for kindle soon! I am reading The Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me and it is all about the pranks she did on her friends, it is so hilarious!

I would write about post grad life and how difficult it is to figure it all out!

I just put White Jacket Required on my Christmas wish list last week! But I may not be able to wait two months 🙂 I’ve read so many great reviews for it and love Jenna’s blog. Thanks for the recommendation!

If I wrote a book, I’d love to write a funny novel about dogs. My maniac dog alone could make for a whole story!

9. Katie says

I’m sure you are going to do wonderfully with the video! 🙂

I just started reading “The Passage” (can’t think of the author at the moment), but my mom and all of our friends loved it.

I downloaded the Kindle app on my phone earlier this year and LOVE laying in bed at night reading. Sometimes, I stay up WAY to late though. I found out you can download E-books and audiobooks from the library for free. I’ve been reading the Stackhouse Series (I’m addicted to True Blood) With work and planning a wedding, I just want a mindless book that I do not have to think to much about!

I will have to add White Jacket Required to my list though.

I think I would write some kind of Christmas themed book for kids because I love the holiday and love kids 🙂 I once had to write a detective fiction short book for a class and it was so terrible that I know I would need to stick to something light-hearted

Those pancakes looks super thick and dense! Yum! I also love Kodiak Cake Mix. It’s a pancake mix that’s made here locally in Utah that has great nutritional stats. I believe they sell it all over in Targets now or you can order it online. I love it!

I can so imagine you writing a children’s book! You’ve got the humour for it! 🙂 That book sounds really interesting, my kind of read! Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia?

Honestly, you’re probably halfway to writing a silly children’s book revolving around dogs already. With all the pictures of Sadie you post and the witty comments that go along with it, you’ve got both a lot of material to work with and a lot of practice already. You could totally do it!

Writing’s been my thing forever, and I did once write a novel (it’s not in any way published…I never even tried to get it published. It needs a lot more work before I’d be willing to pitch it to anyone). I’m all about fiction writing, though, and I’m now also working on a dystopia-esque novel. Whether or not it will actually ever get done is another story, but I’ve made more progress on it than my other writing projects (i.e.: it made it past the first page haha), so we’ll see!

15. Deirdre says

If you want a quick, intense read I would definitely read Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It is kinda like the movie Sleeping with the Enemy but with more suspense.

• says

Oh and I forgot to share a book suggestion–“Hungry” by Crystal Renn is a super fast read but it gives fantastic insight to the world of a model and the horrendous pressures put on women to just be skinny, no matter the cost. It’s completely made me change my view of the physical look of my body and the bodies I see as models in magazines, ads, etc. It’s definitely interesting and I love when books, like this one, give me a new perspective on something that seems so “normal” in our society.

16. Melissa says

I just finished Divergent (at your suggestion) and COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. I had to immediately run out and get Insurgent and now I can’t put that down. Thank you for creating a monster 😉

Also, those pancakes look delicious… I’ll have to try them soon!

I love young-adult novels especially dystopian novels! I think that I would probably chose to write a young adult novel but I don’t think I’d be able to create a dystopian world- it would probably just be about typical young adult problems! I think probably along the lines of Sarah Dessen books…

I want pancakes now! Those look delicious, and an added bonus that they’re healthy, too!
    I’m going to look into that book. I’m not sure what I’d write about… maybe college life as an athlete? It would be hard to write so much on one topic!

It’s an older book but Wallace Stagner’s “Angle of Repose” is pretty amazing! I think it’s a book everyone should read at some point. It makes you appreciate how nice modern living is haha.

20. MARION says

Hi
    i follow your blog and wanted to ask what time you get to bed at to be able to get up at 5 am every morning and have all the energy that you do for everything that you do!

I would write fantasy.
    I actually tried once, wrote something like 200 pages but I could not pace the book equally, everything was going too slow or too fast.

I will likely try again!

I’ve been eyeing White Jacket Required too and thinking about reading it, waiting for it to go to paperback, or maybe I’ll grab it on my kindle. I don’t think I would ever want to write an entire book. The task sounds so daunting and I’m getting writer’s block just imagining it!

23. Katie says

Julie – I really think that you would like Rules of Civility by Amor Towles! You and I share a love of historical fiction and it’s similar to Sarah Jio’s books (but slightly better writing!)

I’m in the process of writing a novel. It’s actually my second, but I’m not going to publish the first for many reasons. It’s quite therapeutic to write fiction, actually. When I’ve had a rough day and just want to get the heck out of my own mind, I go back to writing someone else’s story, worry about their problems for a while.

25. Tracy says

My friend has a new book out soon, Dead Spots by Melissa Olson. It’s a fun, engrossing and easy read and I think you and your readers would love it. I don’t read too many fantasy or dystopian books that require you to understand a different world (except for Twilight, Harry Potter and Hunger Games), but this book is awesome, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer in book form.

I really want to read White Jacket Required – I’m glad to hear it was good!

I would probably write a memoir or a fiction book if I ever got the chance, those are my favorites to read!

27. Julia says

Love books!! If you haven’t read Gone Girl, it’s a must. An oldie but goodie is The Glass Castle (ive read it twice), and for a super inspiring and well written book, read Wild by Cheryl Strayed. It’s about her solo hike along the pacific crest trail. SOOOOOO good

I’m finishing up The Orchard, which has been good. I have Divergent on standby, as well as a couple I picked up from library yesterday – a David Baldacci & Ernest Heminghways The Sun Also Rises (been wanting to read it since The Paris Wife).
    I don’t know if I have the discipline to write a book! Maybe a children’s book 🙂

Glad to hear you liked that book – it is on my “to-read” list. I am the same way in that I love to read before bed each night. . . I wasn’t doing it for a while after having the baby, but now that he has a more regular bedtime, I am getting into it again. Reading ‘On the Island’ right now!

Still need to get on this one. I just finished Beautiful Disaster. Don’t waste your time, I definitely thought it was quite dull. I hear it’s on the best sellers list but maybe it was just me. I just couldn’t get into her writing style.

about halfway through and loving The Orchardist (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13540215-the-orchardist).

Talmadge has lived a solitary life since his mom died when he was 13 and his sister ran off a few years later. Over the years, he’s continued to grow his orchard into a beautiful (and large) area.

His life changes when his kindness leads to a connection with two very young pregnant girls on the run (i think it is told soon enough that i can say they were at a brohel against their will). I won’t go much further than that on the “action” front, but obv lives are changed.

It is set at the turn into the twentieth century in the Pacific Northwest. The place is def a character itself. Additional characters include a mute Indian who rides through on horse wrangling runs and a woman who is an herbalist and true friend to Talmadge.

Very well written. Storng sense of time and place. Heavy empahsis on what constitutes a family.

32. Ann Wilson says

I’ve actually written nine sports trivia books. They’re found in Barnes & Noble, Amazon, on Ebay and through our website http://www.triviagamebooks.com. I never thought I would write sports trivia, but I started writing for my husband’s book business.

I started writing a high school romance/chick flick novel back in high school (I never got past page 20 or so).

I will be working on publishing a Paleo cookbook in the next 6 months or so. I’m extremely excited about that one!

33. Grace says

What about the House of Sand and Fog? I’m reading it for my book club in DC. I thought the plot sounded boring but I can’t put this book down!

34. Hannah O'Bannon says

I love that picture of Sadie. I’m often met with a very similar site. Not only do I have a Weim that is the spitting image of Sadie (but silver) who sprawls out on the bed, I also have the same bedding and sheets. :-O