Crock Pot Challenge

At lunchtime today, Ryan and I had a meeting with an accountant. I’ve always done my own taxes (Turbo Tax, baby) and ever since Ryan and I got married, we’ve handled our taxes as a couple. Every year things get more and more confusing since I’m self employed and have income coming from a variety of sources thanks to freelance writing and the blog.

I reached out to my friends Cara and Brittney since they both own their own businesses in town. (Cara owns Vitalize Nutrition, a local health food store, and Brittney owns A Cut Above Boutique.) Cara recommended her accountant, Sandy. She’s a spunky woman who clearly knows her stuff! Our meeting lasted about an hour and now Ryan and I have some work to do on our end to simplify everything.

Before Ryan headed back to work, we ate lunch together at home.

IMG_1744-001

I claimed the dinner leftovers which included a big mess of chicken, beans and veggies.

Yesterday, I threw a bunch of stuff into the crockpot and let it cook on low all day (about eight hours) and the end result was so flavorful.

Into the crockpot went:

• 3 large chicken breasts
  • 1 jar salsa
  • 1 can reduced sodium kidney beans (not drained)
  • 1 can reduced sodium black beans (drained)
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • Several handfuls of baby carrots
  • 1 cup chopped cauliflower

IMG_1745-001

I honestly liked this dish even better the next day. I guess it’s like chili in that the longer it sits, the more the flavors develop. The only thing it was missing was corn! I could’ve sworn we had corn in the freezer, but unfortunately we were out. Next time!

Crock Pot Challenge

I am thinking about starting a self-imposed crock pot challenge. I would love  to try to utilize my slow cooker a bit more because it makes dinner preparation so ridiculously easy and I want to find a few new recipes to add to my crock pot arsenal. If you have a personal favorite, please feel free to share it (or link to it) in the comments section at the bottom of this post. It’s time to get (slow) cookin’!

Comments

We love our crockpot! Unfortunately it is way under-utilized. Our favorites is a pot roast loaded with hearty veggies and chili. Both are very basic but I love that I can throw basic ingredients and the output is so yummy!

I just got a crockpot for Christmas and am obsessed! I am actually eating a crockpot meal right now haha. I am constantly looking for healthy recipes to make with it. I really want to make homemade broth- and then crockpot a soup IN it. Love the recipes you have here :)
    SoFitandSoGreen.blogspot.com

Mmmm what a simple but seriously tasty looking dish! I love the slow cooker so much! The only time I get lazy with it is if I don’t have/make time to chop up all the veggies. Otherwise, it’s a life saver~I have a pulled chicken (BBQ) recipe of mine that I just LOVE. It’s so yummy on its own or in quesadillas :D Here it is: http://www.fitforthesoul.com/2012/04/19/kauais-pulled-chicken-quesadilla/ I call it Kauai’s Pulled Chicken Quesadilla

I LOVE using my crockpot. I have been using it just about every other week now to prepare all of my lunch meals! Here are my most recent favorites:
    Beef and Mushroom Stew: http://abetteryeartoabetterlife.com/2012/11/06/slow-cooker-beef-and-mushroom-stew/
    Shredded Chicken Stoup: http://abetteryeartoabetterlife.com/2013/01/02/crockpotting-obsession/
    The beef and mushroom one is out of this world, if you like mushrooms it is a must try!

Love the idea of using the crock pot more. It’s SO easy and makes cooking/life in general much more enjoyable in my opinion. I’d love to use mine on a weekly basis, but I’d say I currently use it every two-ish weeks, maybe?

I did just recently make a Mango Ginger Chicken recipe from Women’s Health magazine. It was very good, kind of Indian-style chicken. I served it with quinoa, but brown rice would be good too. Here’s the recipe: http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/mango-ginger-chicken.aspx

6. April V. says

I don’t have an official recipe for it but I love cooking pork butt in the slow cooker, you can use it for sandwiches, burritos, you name it!

All I do is cut several small slits all over the pork butt (preferably bone-in) and insert whole or half cloves (depending on the size) of garlic in the slits. Season with salt and pepper, and then cover with a beer or two and then let it rip on low all day (about 10 hours depending on the size of the roast).

Another way which is delicious is to do a pork butt seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then cover in a mixture of chipotle in adobo, olive oil, and barbeque (normally a couple shakes of the oil, one bottle of barbeque sauce and three chipotle peppers). Same time frame.

Definitely checking out your “arsenal,” life has been crazy so I need all the help I can get with dinner!

7. Jennifer says

I’ve been doing freezer meals lately. I found it on Pinterest, were you prepare everything in one day and then freeze them. It makes life so much easier. Take it out of the freezer throw it in the crock pot and you have a healthy meal for dinner. It’s much better for me on days I’m lazy come dinner time and we end up eating out.

I love her sausage and bean supper! It was the one I was most hesitant about, but ended up loving!

I read through a lot of the comments and didn’t see this one but forgive me if it was already listed. I have a super easy, throw it together as your running out the door for work, crockpot recipe. I don’t have a blog post on it so here it is:

2-3 chicken breasts
    1 jar of favorite salsa
    1 pkg of taco seasoning

Lay the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot and sprinkle over the taco seasoning. Pour the salsa over the chicken just until it is fully covered and let cook until the chicken falls apart.

I usually serve with all the fixings for tacos (ex: cheese, sour cream, etc.), rice, and a salad (cause we are weird and eat a salad with every dinner).

9. Nyssa says

http://www.candcmarriagefactory.com/2011/01/brown-sugar-and-balsamic-glazed-pork.html – this is my favorite pork recipe, it has never come out looking like the picture but i think it is amazing, i have made it for several people who love it !!! i usually brown my on all sides in a pan before putting it and the pan drippings in the crock pot, but i’ve made it both ways and it is great either way. make it, you will not be disappointed!!!

10. Lindsey says

Just made one of my favorite crock pot recipes yesterday and had it for dinner last night! It’s called Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken and it’s out of this world! So many ways to have it too. It’s 3 chicken breasts, 1/2 jar hot salsa, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 2 cloves miced garlic, 1 small red onion chopped, 1tsp ground cumin, 1tsp chili powder, and a dash of S&P!! Sooo good!! We eat it with low carb wraps or on top of lettuce :)

11. Nichole Hutchins says

SALSA CHICKEN- my friends actually call it chicken crack and it’s always requested…

6 chicken breasts
    1 jar favorite salsa
    1 can rotel
    1 can black beans
    1 can mexicorn
    cook it all day:)

add 1 block of cream cheese (i use FF) before serving.
    serve with lettuce and tortilla chips or soft tacos.
    ENJOY!!

12. Allie says

The BEST and only way I personally eat pork chops is my Mom’s slow cooker recipe:
    4 pork chops
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can sliced mushrooms
    about 1 cup water
    Salt, Pepper & Garlic Powder to taste
    Cook it low and slow for about 8 hours, and we usually serve with egg noodles or whole grain rice.

13. Rachel says

I love using my crockpot!! And you know what makes it even easier? The “Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners”. They seriously make clean up so easy!! All you do is pull out the liner and throw it away and you are done cleaning up!

How do you keep the chicken in your crock pot to stay moist? I have made many crock pot meals with chicken and have tried putting it on low for 8 hours (got dry), then tried hi for 4 (got dry) and then warm for 6 (still dry)…any idea as to what I’m doing wrong?

15. Katie Molter says

I use my crockpot all the time for things like beef stroganoff and chicken with dumplings. For beef stroganoff: in the crockpot put 2 packages of beef tips for stewing (frozen); 2 cans of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, 1 package of freash mushrooms, 1 bar of lite cream cheese, 1/2 cup of milk. Cook on low for 8 hours. About 45 minutes before eating, add 1 container of lite sour cream. Start making either noodles or mashed potatoes. When done cooking, laddle the beef stroganoff on to either noodles or mashed potatoes! I’m more than happy to share the chicken with dumplings if interested.

I can’t wait to sit and meet with her too! So happy y’all liked her. Cara & Dustin have always said great things about her. + I can’t wait to try some of these great recipes! What a great idea! YUM!!