Crock Pot Challenge Details

I’m so glad so many of you share my love for crock pot cooking!

I’m already feeling excited about the Crock Pot Challenge! You guys shared some of the most fantastic sounding recipes and I cannot wait to give them a try.

A few that immediately popped out at me:

A bunch of you were also kind enough to detail entire recipes in the comments section, so if you’re in the market for a quality crock pot recipe, definitely check out the comments on yesterday’s post! Many of them are super easy and require minimal ingredients.

A handful of you guys also expressed interest in participating in a Crock Pot Challenge together! That sounds like a lot of fun to me, so here’s what I’m thinking:

• Try 10 new crockpot recipes by the end of February

That’s it! I’m keeping it simple!

I realize that this is not a ridiculous amount of recipes to try, but crock pot recipes often produce a lot of leftovers, so I want to be mindful of that and also make the challenge doable for those of you who might not be that into cooking but still want to participate.

I will obviously blog about the recipes I try (or create) and if you have a blog and write a blog post that briefly recaps the 10 recipes you tried (or created) and what you thought of them by March 3, I will have a plugin set up for you to add your link to a big Crock Pot Challenge recap post on March 4.

If you’re on Twitter or Instagram and want to communicate with other participants or share recipes, you can use the hash tag #crockpotchallenge. Woop!

Hopefully this will be one big crock pot recipe swap and a fun way to motivate each other to branch out and try new recipes.

Last night Ryan and I had breakfast for dinner in the form of an artichoke and broccoli quiche (so good!) so I wasn’t in the mood for eggs this morning and decided to stick with another breakfast classic.

pancakes 009

Pancakes!

pancakes 011

Plus a hot cup of coffee.

pancakes 012

Happy Friday!

Comments

I love realistic goals: 10 recipes by the end of February is very doable but not overwhelming. I’ve never used a crockpot, so I’ll be excited to see your results. And after 2 days of pancake pictures, I have a serious craving that I’ll be taking care of soon 😉

I like to buy split chicken breast (They are always on sale) and cook two of them in the slow cooker with water, carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs I have on hand. After 8 hours I have tender/moist chicken for sandwiches or salads, and I strain the juice through a coffee filter and for homemade chicken stock! You can use the chicken in anything.

Yum! Your pancakes. I’m dying for some right now.
    I’m not a big crock pot person (my mom ruined it for me at a young age with her attempts at making dishes taste good) but I definitely want to try some recipes I’ve seen around!

4. Emily B says

Italian meatballs… Wow that sounds delsih. Think I might be adding this one to the challenge 😉 My husband is always telling me how I don’t use the crock enough, after we spent all of that money on it… Oops. I just hate waiting all day for a meal that smells amazing.

5. Jessica Hedberg says

Just discovered your Amazon store!!! I can’t wait to try these items:
    -Zensah Women’s Calf/Shin Splint Compression Sleeve, Neon Pink, Small/Medium – Zensah (My shin slints have recently been so painful I have had to walk-yawn.)
    -Thorlos Experia Coolmax / Micro-Mini Socks Pink 10 (Who doesn’t love a little extra support.)
    -L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze One-Day Tinted Gel, 6.7-Fluid Ounce (I am ready to get rid of my winter lack of color!)

Your shop is a great idea! Thanks!

I’m in for the crock pot challenge! I just got my very first crock pot for Christmas and it’s still in the box; time to bust that thing out! I’m sure the bf will be excited as well.

7. elaine says

Count me in for the crock pot challenge. Our family ate out way too much during Christmas and I am looking forward to using the crock pot and eating at home together as a family.

8. Anna Lynn says

I’ve done a crockpot lasagna before and it turned out so, so yummy! I just got a mini crockpot for Christmas that I’m excited to experiment with. That peanut stew is calling my name!

I’ve heard rumors of crockpot bread and I really want to look into it and try!!!

9. Charlotte says

Great idea, I’m in! We had actually planned on busting out the crockpot today anyway. I’m using the grilled tomatillo sauce we froze from the garden with some chicken breasts to make enchilada filling. Yum!

10. Amanda says

Hi Julie!

I loved seeing that yesterday afternoon’s topic was crockpot cooking since yesterday was the second day this week that I had dinner slowly and deliciously cooking away while we were at work. It is such a great feeling on crockpot days when I remember throughout the workday that dinner is basically taking care of itself! It really does make things so simple – Woo Hoo! Yesterday I made Salsa Chicken. At first I intended on shredding it and putting it over lettuce to make a taco salad, but once I was home, I was more in the mood for a quesadilla. So, I shredded the chicken and put it in a whole wheat tortilla with cheese, grilled it a bit, then topped it with sour cream and tomatoes. Oh Mama – dynamite! The best part is that we had plenty of shredded chicken left over, so today’s lunch is a shredded salsa chicken taco salad. YUM!

What a fun little challenge! I think it’s wise to not set the goal too high. With Pinterest, I’m sure you’ll have no trouble finding recipes :) Have a good weekend!

Slow cooker lasagna? Oh my. I’m actually going out to buy a slow cooker later today because after hearing so many people raving about it, I figure it’s time to get one of my own. Plus I saw recipes for slow cooker cakes and I’m really curious about those!

I have that mug too! :) I’m excited to see the crockpot recipes. I think one crockpot meal would be enough for a week’s worth of dinners since I just cook for myself!

14. Marisa says

I love crockpot meals! This is one of my favs! 1 pkg pork ribs, 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of water and 3-8 jalapeños (depending on spice level you want…you don’t have to eat them they add a nice flavor, but the spice is good too if you like it) cook low for 6 hrs, serve with rice!

I love this challenge! I made crock pot apple crumble last night (on the blog this morning), and said to my fiancee that we should start using it more. What a great surprise when I popped in for my daily dose of PBF – just the motivation I needed!

16. Caroline says

Hey Julie! This has nothing to do with crock pot recipes, but just wanted to let you know that Old Navy popped up on my Facebook page with a picture of you in their new workout gear!! Pretty cool. Love your blog!

17. Courtney says

I loooove my crockpot!! Have you ever used Reynold’s crockpot liners?! They seriously changed my life when it comes to crockpot cooking, since cleaning the stupid thing would sometimes deter me from using it. Spread the word about these babies with this challenge, it might save some lives haha!

I’m so in love with this challenge! Winter just screams crockpot! And I highly suggest freezing crock pot leftovers. I do this a lot since I have a hard time eating the same thing over and over again….can’t wait for March 3!

19. Dawn says

I have a random question for you Julie, or for anyone else that wants to answer! I have switched over from fat-free milk to almond milk in the last few months, and just can’t quite get my coffee the same! I used to warm/steam my milk in the microwave first and then add coffee- it would be warm, creamy, and frothy! But with almond milk, my coffee never seems to be very hot, and if I do warm my almond milk in the micro before (or after adding coffee), it separates (GROSS!)

How do you get your coffee with almond milk so hot and “non-separating”???

That buffalo chicken sounds great! Perfect for my 14 year old son! I think I’m going to make chili today but maybe the chicken tomorrow. Just got a new crock pot so I’m very inspired.

I am so in! Using my crock pot more is definitely something I’m interested in, so this is a fool-proof way to get me there. I have a couple of crock pot recipes that I always go to, but I have trouble branching out. Looking forward to this challenge!

22. Nikki says

Making my first crock pot challenge meal!! It is “freezing” today by Arizona standards. Mid 20’s when we woke up (at 6 am to run before my hair appointment) and won’t get out of 40’s today. Like I said, cold for Arizona standards, however not as unimaginably cold as it is in Denver right now, 14 degrees!!! So my crock pot meal, as you could probably guess, is chili!!!! Made with ground elk meat and will make some rice to go along with it!! It smells so good!!

I would love to participate in this challenge! 10 awesome vegan crock pot recipes in Feb? Sounds perfect! Plus, I’ll be student teaching, working, & attending classes so I’m all about convenience! What a wonderful idea :)