Highlight of the Day

I polished off the last of the crock pot garam masala chicken and chickpeas for lunch today.

Garam Masala Chicken Chickpeas

Let me reiterate how much the dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) adds to this dish!

garam masala chicken crockpot

I also had a cup of yogurt on the side for a little sweetness.

stonyfield yogurt

Highlight of the Day

Like billions of other dogs out there, Sadie’s excitement level goes through the roof whenever someone she loves walks through the door.

emotions

When she hears the doorbell or the garage door open, she runs around in circles and grabs a toy from her toy basket to bring to her new visitor. The joy she feels absolutely radiates from her wiggly little body.

Yesterday evening I told Ryan that it’s pretty clear to me that the moment he arrives home from work is the highlight of her day. She knows that once Ryan is home, we’ll likely do something outside with her and that makes her one happy little camper. Her exuberant joy never fails to make me smile.

When I started to think about the highlight of my day, the moment that first popped into my mind was the moment Ryan and I crawl into bed at night. I love slipping into bed after I’ve brushed my teeth, knowing that the day is officially over and we’re ready to just chill out and relax.

Now I ask you…

Question of the Afternoon

• What is the highlight of your day?
  • Is there one particular moment you find yourself looking forward to on a daily basis?

In addition to the moment I crawl into bed at night, I also love breakfast time on the weekends.

Comments

I also think it’s our yellow lab’s favorite time of the day when my husband walks in the door. They are truly best buds, and it’s so cute to see him so excited to see his dad. My favorite time of day is probably the early morning – eating breakfast, sipping my coffee, doing my devotions, and reading a few blogs before getting a start on my day helps me wake up and prepare me for the upcoming day. I also love when my husband walks in the door from work!

• Emily R. says

I love that moment, too! That is after I gather the courage to walk through our dark house to get to the bathroom lol I miiiiiiight be a little afraid of our old, creepy house!

The highlight of my day is the time at night when my fiancé, my dog, and I are finally settled in with no ‘to dos’ left undone. We always watch one rerun of King of Queens and Dan has modified the theme song so that it depicts our relationship. It honestly makes me laugh each time he sings it.

3. Emily R. says

The highlight of my day goes as follows:
    12:00- lunch with my Mom (we work for the same company)
    4:30- off work!!
    5:30-6- my boyfriend gets home which makes both me & our dog excited
    7:00- couch time (aka I last about an hour then fall asleep until we go to bed, which makes it less exciting since I’m pretty much a zombie :))

Oh, I love this! I really love hopping on my bike and riding home from work. It’s the best feeling to just a few (a lot of) deep breaths and unwind as I’m pedaling back. I live on the water so I get to look out and see boats and runners and bikers going along. So peaceful.

I’m such a morning person… The highlight of my day is early in the morning drinking my coffee either on the couch watching the news or reading things online. I just love that moment before the day starts and it’s quiet and relaxing…. I look forward to it every night!!

That’s so fun Sadie gets so excited. Hah!

Fav moment is definitely when my husband comes home from work too! We spend some time chatting & hanging out. LOVE it. 2nd fav: any time I teach my fitness classes 3rd: any time I get to relax/kickback by myself or with my man (movies, reading, going out)

7. Rachel says

Mine is a a tie between eating breakfast in the morning and the feeling of accomplishing my last to-do for the day. The thrill of deciding what to eat for breakfast is so exciting to me for some reason. I would have said that I love climbing into bed at night, but sometimes my mind races with all the things I meant to get done that day that just didn’t happen. Therefore, that feeling of relief when I actually accomplish everything is the highlight.

I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I’ve been trying to incorporate the crock pot at least once a week – this looks great & I love Indian!

Highlight? At the end of the day, when I crawl into bed with my book. I also love to wake up to hearing my kids playing nicely together in their rooms :)

Oh, I am sooo with you! When I finish my workout… take a quick, hot shower, put on my robe and climb into bed to watch a show or movie with my man and two dogs. So warm and calm, and knowing I had a productive day. Such a good feeling!

• says

This is my absolute favorite time as well! Cuddle time with my guy and pup and a few shows from the DVR after what is usually a long, busy day. Also the smell of soap and a cold glass of water. It’s the simple things.

10. Lisa W. says

I guess the highlight of my day would be clicking off the “open” sign at my store at the end of my day. I wait 11-12 hours for just that one moment, 7 days a week. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, I love having my own business, but I just know that once that sign goes off for the day I don’t have to talk to anyone or handle problems or hold my bladder for hours on end. I’m free just for a couple hours to enjoy doing absolutely nothing until I go to sleep to wake up and do it all over again.

11. Heather says

The current highlight of my day is walking into my baby daughter’s room first thing in the morning and having her greet me with a big smile and a hug. A close second is the quiet time to catch up on reading and drink coffee before the day gets hectic :)

12. Cindy says

My favorite part of the day is my morning coffee. Right now I am doing my first Whole30, so I have had to drink it black. Not near as enjoyable as my flavored creamer. Day 31 – I look forward to going back to my creamer:)

Highlight of my day is different every day..sometimes breakfast, sometimes a nice comment or email from a reader or a funny lovable moment with my niece…today it was getting in to bed though, an early night, catching up on blogs with a cup of warm hot chocolate and homemade brownie :)

So the highlight of my day is when my kids come home from school. In fact, my daughter says I am like a puppy because I run to greet her with a big smile on my face, hug her real tight and ask her lots of questions. I sound like the human version of Sadie! 😉 I have always loved getting into bed at night as well. My husband teases me about it. Sometimes I actually say out loud…I love bedtime! Now that I have Louie (our Shih Tzu puppy) there is usually a highlight of the day that includes him. He really makes me laugh!

I agree, laying down for the night is one of the things I look forward too most. Me and my Husband both work from home, but we are not allowed to talk about work while in our bedroom. It is a rule! It is the one place I can escape from work!

unfortunately for my boyfriend the highlight of my dogs day is me coming home, Brady gives him a pretty fantastic hello but immediately runs back to me and jumps up almost to say “I missed you so much even thought I just spent the past 2 hours with you!” My favorite moment of the day is when I leave the gym in the morning, I always say to myself “mmm, coffee time!” I do also enjoy getting into bed

Crawling under the warm covers in my sometimes chilly sorority bed room is one of my favorite moments too! But I also LOVE breakfast :) especially after a successful yoga practice at home :) I love mornings when I have enough time to sit, eat and relax a little before I officially start the day. Hope your day is going well :)

Hmm good question! Breakfast is always a highlight, because I enjoy it so much. 😉 And the moment when I walk into my house after work is a highlight. And then on the nights when my husband and I can just cuddle on the couch and watch TV … those are the best moments of them all!

I love how puppies (I call all dogs puppies, regardless of age) get so super excited, come up, and wag their entire back halves with excitement. The part of the day I most look forward to is lunchtime because that is when I work out and it means I’m half way through my work day! I know that sounds rehearsed but it’s true.

20. Emily says

Being a student, at the end of the day I am always left with the feeling that I just haven’t done enough there’s always something I could be doing (readings, assignments, etc.)!
    Lately, though, I have committed myself to turning off my laptop and phone by 10p.m. and just reading until I get sleepy. It’s become something I really look forward to every day, especially on the crazier days! Definitely a highlight!

I have been adding a dollop of greek yogurt to savory dishes lately and love it! I think the highlight of my day is having a cup of coffee while reading blogs in the morning, or changing into sweats the end of the day and cuddling up with my puppies on the couch.

I agree the moment I can slip into bed is a great finish to my usually busy days! Although I try not to rush the days sometimes when I wake up all I can think about is getting back into bed :-p

Another note! I noticed you were having stonyfield yogurt! I live one town over from the stonyfield factory! When you visit you get to try all sorts of yogurts! It’s a lot of fun…one of my favorite yogurt brands!

23. Elisabeth says

This is just one of my favorite parts of the day – if I wake up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night & see on the clock that I still have several hours to sleep 😉

24. pluvk says

I LOVE to eat, so I think that the highlight of my day is breakfast and dinner! Lunch is usually if I can get it, so it’s never that exciting. :-) Another great part of my day is the same as you… sliding into bed with my hubs. 😉

Such a sweet post! Every night when I go to bed, I think about the iced coffee I’m going to pick up on my way to work the next day. What can I say, I love my coffee routine! I also love watching CBS Sunday Morning with my boyfriend every weekend. We live about an hour apart, so weekends are sacred :)

I love after I workout in the morning and get to sit down and enjoy my cup of coffee + protein powder while watching Kelly and Michael.

Also, the moment I get Elmo up in the morning (He sleeps in his own room hahaha). He is so happy to see me it makes me realize I’m living for someone :)

27. Jana says

I know this if off topic, but your picture showed up on my fb newsfeed after a couple of my friends ‘liked’ the Old Navy page…you’re pic and your blog was on advertisement (cute pic by the way). I found myself saying to my friend “I know her!” Technically, since I read your blog everyday, I wasn’t really lying :)

My highlight of the day is watching the Cosby show with my family in the evening. It’s the only time we all sit down and do something together. I always look forward to it!

29. Alison says

I have to agree with a lot of commenters. The highlight of my day is the morning when I get to pray, eat breakfast, watch the news and read some blogs. Love it and so thankful to have the time to do that! :)

I’d have to say that the time I look forward to most is the early morning. After years of being a night owl, I somehow made the transition into an early bird, and I love waking up early, making my favorite tea, having breakfast, and spending some time on the computer before having to start my day. There’s nothing I hate more than being rushed in the morning – I need some quiet time before the craziness of the day starts!

Isn’t the love of a dog absolutely amazing?? They love you unconditionally and they are always happy to see you, no matter what. That is a pretty awesome feeling, especially if/when you have been away for awhile. I cannot wait to go home soon and see my dogs. I am hoping that it will be the highlight of their day!

Currently, the highlight of my day is getting home from work/working out and being able to cook a delicious and nutritious meal. I also love being able to relax on the couch while watching TV and blogging. It makes for the perfect night :).

My favorite part of the day is when my little guy wakes up and wants to cuddle and watch Sesame Street with me. He’s such a wiggle worm and usually going nonstop so I appreciate even 20 cuddly minutes these days!

33. Sara says

My favorite time is the couple hours I have before bed to relax! I hate bed time because it means in a few hours my alarm will go off and I will have to get ready for work.

During the work week it is when I walk out of the home of my last client of the day. I love working with my clients but it is now officially ME time. On the weekends, it is breakfast time and the relaxation that occurs after which is a close tie to the moment after my long run and the energy I get from it.

Hi Julie! I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now, since my sister (an avid blog reader) shared it with me letting me know you were a KD at UCF…me too! I just wanted to comment and say hello.

Happy and excited dogs are one of the cutest things ever, my dog used to crinkle up her nose and smile when we got home and it made my day! My favorite time of the day is when dinner is over, my lunch is packed, outfit is picked out, and all I have to do is read/watch tv/pin :)

I love when we get home from work and Shrek (my dog) is so excited, jumping up and down, ready to see me. I also love Saturdays because Shrek is usually “locked” out of the bedroom while I sleep in (thanks to my awesome husband!) and as soon as I open that door, he is flying up the stairs ready to cuddle with me for the entire day. I also love Saturday breakfasts!

I love the very end of the night when I’ve closed my computer, dried my hair and brushed my teeth and I know that everything is done until tomorrow. I also love pancake mornings on the weekend! Clean sheets are the only thing to make it better!

My favorite part of the day is also when I come through the door. My pup is so excited to see me (doesn’t matter if it’s been eight minutes or eight hours). I love it!

I made Lamb Roganjosh for dinner tonight. So good. It’s what I always get at Indian restaurants. I made it on the stove simmered on low for three hours but I imagine it would be just as good and easier in a slow cooker.

39. Katie says

My favorite part of the day is coming home from work and having my 2 dogs greet me as if they haven’t seen me for weeks. There is no replacement for the unconditional love dogs give us. I love it. I look forward to it every day. On my days off I love the time I spend snuggling with them in bed in the morning.

Love the post today. I can totally relate! we have 3 precious doggies and when their daddy gets home from work, it is pure happiness and joy and makes me smile no matter what mood I am in.
    With that said, the highlight of my day is on my way home from the gym in the evenings. I feel so relaxed and so chill, proud of myself for doing my workout and content I burned off what I took in during the day.. Plus I am so pumped to get home and relax with our dogs and my husband..My happiness! :)

My highlight is definitely walking the dog when I get home from work. Taking him for a stroll is such a relaxing and fun thing to do (for me and him!) after work and sitting in traffic on the way home. Gotta go stretch the legs!

The highlight of my day would be getting home from work. I’m not in love with my job and am thinking about trying to work from home instead in the next couple of years.

43. Lisa says

The highlight of my day is the morning nap my 30 pound 5 month old puppy, Tortuga, takes on my lap. She’s like clockwork and snoozes from 7:30-8:45am! She’s done this since the day we brought her home and I don’t know what I’ll do when she gets too big (in about a week!)

I love coming home after work to my sweet black lab, Layla, who has clearly been snoozing all afternoon. She is either wants to snuggle some more or is super excited to play outside. Both are great midday pick me ups. Evening couch time with my husband and Layla is a highlight too; even if I don’t like what we’re watching I enjoy the time together.

During the work week, I get pretty excited about lunch time! I don’t really eat much in the morning (except for some fruit with my coffee or tea), and by noon I’m ready for a break and some socializing with my coworkers! My favorite part of the week is Friday, when I walk out the door leaving work. There’s just so much potential in that moment and I love knowing that I have the whole weekend ahead of me!

46. Tamara says

For me, it’s waking up next to my boyfriend. Since we don’t live together, I love waking up and seeing him next to me. And then I kick him out of bed so he can make me coffee 😀 (highlight 2)

Reading these comments, it’a kind of amazing how many people treasure their solitude in the morning. I’m exactly the same way. I love having a few moments to myself to read and think (and read blogs) over a cup of coffee, alone, before the day gets going. Seems like I lot of other people need that as well.

48. Magen Allen says

Hands down, my favorite part of the day is when my 10 month old daughter Bradlei wakes up in the morning! Sometimes my husband and I will race to her bedroom when we hear her on the moniter, because she always standing up in bed, looking at the door and giggling because she is so excited to see who is coming to get her! Perfect start to my day (doesn’t hurt that she she sleeps a good 12-13 hours at night) :)

49. Laura says

I love the mornings, also. I usually wake up earlier than my boyfriend and take our dog on a walk, which is one of my favorite times because it’s so peaceful and quiet in our neighborhood, which is usually bustling. Then I get back in bed for a couple minutes and I can really appreciate how cozy and comfortable I feel. Normally at night I just pass out the minute my head touches the pillow!

50. Lauren B. says

My favorite moment of the day is when I go into my baby’s room, peek in his crib, and he gives me a big gummy grin. Heart melts! Then we get back into bed with Daddy and have time together before he heads to work. I wish I could have those moments forever.

First of all, I am absolutely going to HAVE to try this recipe!! It looks so delicious!! I have to admit, the favorite part of my day is also crawling into bed. My husband and I have started a tradition of reading for 15-20 minutes before bed, and it’s so nice just to relax from the busy day. My second favorite would be those moments on Saturday/Sunday morning when you wake up and realize that you can sleep for 10 more minutes without being late to anything!

I’m sooo happy to sit and eat dinner. It means that I’ve been through work, the gym, making dinner, and now I can just enjoy time with my roommates. Fave!

53. Katherine says

Hi Julie!
    Quick question about this amazing chicken dish, can I make it in a regular le creuset pot? If so, how and for how long? I want a slow cooker so badly but my husband is convinced that it is a fire hazard…I only work part time ( we have a 2 year old daughter) so on a rainy or snowy day when I am home, it is possible for me to just let this dish sit in the oven for hours.

The favorite part of my day is putting the little one to bed, she is always so sweet and cuddly at this time, and having a nice dinner with my husband. And an extra bonus is if we decide to open one of our special bottles of wine ( like last night). I made some steak filets with roasted root vegetables and kale, so we opened a Barolo…it was heaven!!!

54. Morgan L says

I have two moments that make a BIG impact on my day: 1) when i walk into my baby’s room in the morning and he gives me a huge smile and 2) when I walk in the door after work (or walk in the door at my in-laws on days my MIL watches the little guy) and my dog is running circles because she’s so excited and my baby gives me another huge smile!

55. Kimberly says

Definitely coming home from work and seeing my doggies in the window watching for me & as soon as I turn in the driveway they take off to the door. They are so excited and no matter how bad a day I have had at work they make me smile!

56. Lia says

My favorite part of my day is the mornings that my husband and I get to hang out in bed together. Sometimes it is after I get home from work (I work 7p-7a as a nurse) and I crawl into bed and other times it is the on the weekends. Our goldendoodle puppy jumps up into the bed with us and we have family cuddle sessions. My hubby and I lay there and talk about how amazingly snuggly, cute, precious etc. our dog is for like an hour and she pulls out all of her cutest snuggling moves so we will pet her non stop. Eventually she bores of that and starts collecting all of her tennis balls from around the house and drops them on our faces (she thinks this is a good tactic for making us play fetch with her). Gosh, we sure do love that doodle!

p.s. I do realize how weird and obsessive this sounds…she is our child though!

I look forward to the moment I sit down to eat my breakfast. My boyfriend is usually either in the shower or out the door by this time and it’s truly my “me” time. I usually watch an episode of my favorite shows on Netflix or something.