Celebrate with Peanut Butter

Since the name of this blog is Peanut Butter Fingers, I would be remiss if I did not wish you a very Happy National Peanut Butter Day!

peanut butter

Just in case you’re hoping to celebrate this peanut butter day in style, here are a few of my all-time favorite peanut butter-packed recipes:

Peanut Butter Energy Bites

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Banana Cookies

Peanut Butter Granola

Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Question of the Morning

• What is your favorite way to eat peanut butter?

And another follow up question to yesterday’s post…

• I am in the process of writing a follow up post to yesterday’s post about feeing awkward during group exercise classes at the gym. I’d love to share any tips you may have that have proved beneficial for you for making yourself feel more comfortable at the gym or in a group exercise class environment. Please share!

My number one tip is to arrive to a new class five minutes early. This gives me a chance to speak with the instructor privately so I can tell them I’m new to the class and discuss any reservations I may have about the class before it begins.

Comments

Hurray for PB Day!!!

I love peanut butter cookies – with mini chocolate chips in them. I make the classic flourless ones and they are fantastic, especially when chilled in the fridge for a bit. I also love peanut butter on oatmeal… on a spoon… it’s just SO GOOD!!

2. mj says

ONE of my favorite ways is to make banana sundaes – frozen yogurt, sliced banana, melted PB drizzled all over it and sometimes i add mini chocolate chips and whipped cream. yum! :)
    happy national PB day! :)

3. Ariana says

Be confident! I mean, it’s ok to tell people that you’re new, but be confident in your abilities. You CAN do this and it will only be an hour of your life. Ask those around you if they have any tips before the class starts, but just focus and know that this is possible. If it’s HORRIBLE, you don’t have to go back, but you can know that you made an attempt. Confidence in yourself is always key.

I can’t believe I missed it again!! I love peanut butter, but never seem to remember when the actual National Peanut Butter day is..and of course I included almond butter in my breakfast rather than peanut butter. As far as feeling comfortable in a group fitness setting, I totally understand that it can be intimidating at first!! I am a group fitness instructor and really try to keep my eyes out for any new faces so that I can introduce myself and let them know that I want them to ask me any questions they may have. So my tip is to ask the instructor. Don’t be afraid of looking silly or like you don’t know anything because the instructor truly appreciates someone who asks questions and really does want to help ease the participant into the group fitness setting (at least that is what I try to do!)

Hey Julie, I am writing from the other side of group fitness, from the instructor. I teach an all women’s boot camp in Charleston. I love it, but when it comes to group fitness sometimes it’s not the instructor but the attendee who can make it awkward. I am always about creating a close, team atmosphere filled with positive reinforcement. But sometimes you have a bad apple who brings the entire class down with self doubt, and overall negative energy. because my classes are small, I only allow 10 women, it’s not as if we can just keep Mrs. Neg in the back. I have even had to sit down with clients to discuss how they affect everyone’s experience. it can be hard, but something that is important. People come to exercise to get away from stress and if they leave with more frustration and tension, I have failed them. The most akward was when a client dropped the F-bomb in front of 5 year olds and in the same class proceeded to tell a client that her law school was “not acceptable and for people who couldn’t get into the other law school in our state.”
    Ugh… silence.
    Hope this helps!

6. Laura says

Hi,
    I’m not sure if you are a Wooter or not, but I love Woot.com. Just wanted everyone to know today they have a great deal of workout shirts from Fila – 9.99 plus 5 shipping, and you can purchase more than one. It’s under their Sports link.

Julie-

I actually had a pretty awkward fitness class experience last night. I was scheduled to take a 7:30 pm class at Power Sculpt Fitness in Chicago. However, I got an email from the studio saying the class had been cancelled and that I could come to 6:30 class instead. I showed up TEN minutes before 6:30, just to be safe only to find out that they told me the wrong time and the class had started already. I was so frazzled and I could feel people watching me as I tried to sneak in the back unnoticed. I hate being late!

That said, I know people are often intimidated at the gym in the “guy” area by the heavy free weights, bench press machines, squat machines etc. I’ve had girls tell me that they feel like they will be judged by all the men in that area if they venture over there. I think it would be great to see more emphasis on exercises that involve heavier free weights and maybe a how-to guide for some of the more intimidating machinery over there. Girls can do barbell squats too! :)

We had a Peanut Butter food-day celebration at work this morning. I opted to bring pb and mini nilla wafer sandwiches to add to the mix. But it was definitely a morning full of pies, cakes, cookies, dips and more.

On Tuesday I started a brand new class at a brand new gym in my area. I arrived 10 minutes early incase there was anything to fill out before starting and met with the instructor. Unlike your awkward witnessing of Caroline, my instructor was very nice and welcoming, and before class started introduced me to the others I’d be working out with. Throughout the workout if there was something I (or any other attendee) wasn’t sure of, she came to our side and instructed us on the proper way to do the exercise to get the most out of it. Yesterday was my second day and there were other new people to the class. Again, the instructor introduced me to everyone and followed in suit with the day before in assisting throughout. By the end of the workout it was great to see others encouraging new classmates. It’s very obvious that my instructor is passionate about her classes but also wants everyone to feel comfortable, welcome and like a family.

9. Chelsea says

Don’t be afraid to ask someone in the class! And yes, arrive early especially if you’re new. My first bodypump class I had no idea what to get or even where to get it (it was also my first group exercise class) and I asked another person and they were so nice to show me where to get everything! It made me feel so much better.

Hahaha so many pb recipes! Too bad I don’t like it… so sad. My favorite exercise class is zumba and the only way to NOT feel awkward is to just let go. Everyone there is feeling the same amount of awkwardness so if you just forget about it and move on, you’ll be much happier.

11. Amy says

My tips would be to: arrive early, don’t be afraid to ask questions (you can usually tell just by looking at some of the others who would be helpful and nice)- and also realize, you probably aren’t the only new person in the class so you won’t be the only one looking silly :) In Zumba I always see girls who aren’t ‘great’ dancers- like me who isn’t coordinated like that- but with confidence and a smile, they are still getting a great workout and having fun!

12. Marci says

I usually go check out the class the week or a couple of days before. This makes me feel better so I know exactly what will be going on, as well as how people are dressed and if I need to bring a Mat or not.

• Mary says

That’s what I did. It was so helpful to see my friend there and she helped me set up for body pump the first time. I was not nervous to go after that because I knew a bit what to expect.

I definitely agree with arrive early, but I’ve been to new classes where the instructor wasn’t there yet, so I also recommend asking someone who looks like they know what they’re doing to help you get set up if necessary. Also, don’t expect to really feel like you got an amazing workout your first time in a new class, I know this is true in Jazzercise because if you aren’t used to following the movements, then it takes some time to figure it out and get in the groove.

I love peanut butter any way! even straight out of the jar!
    I also agree with arriving early to a new class. I did that for my first BodyPump class because I was so nervous. Some new people come in 5 minutes after the class has started and then they have no idea what’s going on.
    I also think you should introduce yourself to the instructor and really pay attention during the class. If it’s a class that you’ve never taken before, you shoudl pay attention to what the instructor has to say. Hopefully a good instructor will explain things as she goes, especially to new people. Don’t be afraid ask to questions! It’s better to ask questions than to risk injuring yourself. Everyone was new at one point, so don’t feel bad if you’re not doing something correctly!

15. SarahB says

Oh my, I may have to try one of these pb recipes, soon!!

I know it’s probably not what the teachers would want, but I don’t get in the front of the class when I am new. I benefit from watching the others to see how the exercises go and when you have to turn around/lay down/etc it’s beneficial to have people all around you so you can watch somebody from all those weird positions without having to completely stop what you are doing. Most instructors I’ve had always ask my name and if I have any injuries they should be aware of, which I appreciate.

16. Caitlin says

I LOVE peanut butter! My favorite way to eat it is good ol’ peanut butter and banana on a piece of toast. Lately though I really love it on top of oats!

Peanut Butter with banana in a cup! Arriving early is a good tip. I might also visit and stick my nose in the door while a class is on to see what it’s all about before actually attending so I know what to expect. Bringing along a buddy also helps!

18. Jenny says

My favorite ways to eat peanut butter are in Reese’s, cupcake frosting and just regular peanut butter cookies with a Hershey’s Kiss on top. Did you know that peanut butter gets rid of hiccups? One spoonful and your hiccups are gone every time. It’s magic!

19. Laura says

I try to remind myself that everyone else in the class started exactly where I am – no one just woke up one day knowing how to do the moves. Also, whenever an instructor singles me out, I have to remind myself that she is doing it to be helpful and constructive, not because she thinks I’m incompetent or annoying. If I already knew how to do everything perfectly, I wouldn’t need to be in the class!

20. Laurel says

Do not remind me of the flourless pb cookies…I destroyed a whole batch…in practically a sitting. I just try and blend in a new class and I never raise my hand to say I’m new 😉

21. Lauren says

Julie-

I just want to say this is my first time posting on your blog, but I have been an avid reader for a long time. You really have an incredible way of captivating your reader to stay engaged and not feel bad about themselves for not going to the gym for 3 hours straight or eating 17 sticks of celery for lunch. You’re a very REAL blogger and kudos to that.

As for the embarrassing aspect of trying a new class, I think what I try to keep in mind is that everyone is only focused on themselves. I took a power yoga class last night with a Russian instructor and could barely understand her! She must have come over to correct my pigeon pose (my favorite as well) 100 times! Instead of being embarrassed, I took the criticism and really tried to fix my pose. People need to realize the only person they need to impress in workout classes is their own body!

Bring a friend! The first time I tried spinning and hot yoga, I went with a friend!

I stirred the rest of a packet of PB2 into my oats this morning :) I had never tried PB2 until I found a small serving packet at my store and decided to buy it, just to see. I really like it in smoothies!

23. Caitlin says

Hooray for Peanut Butter day! My fave ways to enjoy are:
    On toast with banana slices
    With carrots – sounds weird but perfect dippers!
    New to me is the peanut butter sandwich cookie covered in chocolate-divine 😛

I love group exercise and have definitely had my share of awkward moments. My top tips would be to show up early, respect an make friends with the regulars, and like Nike just do it :) In large classes space can be an issue so showing up early and signing in guarantees you get a good spot. If you see someone who seems to know what they are doing it can’t hurt to ask how they pick their weights, how much space you need, etc. I try to watch myself in the mirror for form but also the instructor and others. And lastly you’ll never know if you are missing out on something you could absolutely fall in love with if you don’t give it a try. Oh and one more! Always give it a second go. It may be awkward the first time but you could surprise yourself if you try try again :)

Happy PB day to all!!!

I am celebrating on my blog today too, and started off my day with a little peanut butter too! Oats + cocoa powder + peanut butter = yum!

My advice for group exercise classes is to not take yourself seriously! Everyone else in the class had to start at one point too, and honestly I think most exercisers are focusing on themselves and don’t even notice if you mess up.. :) Hop right in, go all out, and keep a smile on your face is my advice!

Not a good day for those of us allergic to peanuts! But I do love me some almond butter 😀 On bananas, in oatmeal, on a spoon… Any way is a good way in my humble opinion. Ohhh and those oatmeal cookies are just calling to me. I may just have to try them with AB.

26. Cathryn says

Peanut butter on cinnamon raisin toast!

My easiest way to get through an awkward exercise class is to laugh at myself. If I start laughing at myself it gives the other people in the class room to laugh at me too. I thought I was going to wet myself the first time I took Zumba…

I think my favorite way to eat peanut butter is in cookie or frosting format, but I love it straight from the jar too and in smoothies! I’ve only ever gone to group exercise classes alone, and I’ve tried a couple different ones. I’m the type to quietly go towards the back of the room, spy on what equipment other people are grabbing, and just follow along as best I can.

My favorite way to eat peanut butter is by the spoonful!
    One way to make yourself more comfortable in a group class is to ask a friend who has never taken the class to join you! That way you will both be new and you won’t feel singled out!

It feels weird for me to admit this considering how much I love peanut butter now, but there was a time when I hated it. (The horror!) Now, I’ll eat it pretty much in or on anything… including by the spoonful straight out of the jar. I really want to try your energy bites!

I think it’s great if you can bring a friend to a new gym class because then at least you can both navigate the potential awkwardness together.

30. Michelle says

I’ve learned that it helps to introduce myself to the instructor & they will usually give me tips & point out which students have been coming for awhile so I have a few different people I can watch when I’m not sure of a move.

31. Michele says

A waffle with nutella and peanut butter is the yummiest breakfast treat ever!
    The waffle melts them together and makes a chocolatey peanut butter syrup
    yummm

If I am new to a class, I try to a) go with a friend who has already been before and can give me the low down beforehand, but if I don’t know anyone who has gone before, I b) bring a friend who is also new! That way I don’t feel like the only crazy person in the class. Another thing I sometimes do is ask at the front desk or one of the employees on the floor of the weight room sometimes about different classes – i.e. which teachers are really good with beginners, which classes are more focused towards intermediate or advanced students, etc.

Happy National PB Julie! That must be like a 2nd birthday for you right?! I love PB straight from the jar, on apples or mixed in yoghurt. Every time I try a new class I try to get there early and smile and introduce myself to another person doing it. Then I ask them if they have any tips and see if they mind if I position myself close to them so I can copy what they do. After the class, I make a point of going up to the instructor and thanking them, as well as checking any moves I didn’t quite understand. It has worked well so far!

34. Lauren says

For a new class I remind myself that everyone had a first. Even the instructor who can put her ankle over her head!!! AND I may not rock at Yoga but they might not be able to shake their bon bon like me in Zumba!

35. Jen says

I pick a spot front and center at a new group exercise class. That way, I just focus on the instructor and my own workout. When I’m in the back of the class, I find I focus more on what the people in front of me are doing, and this leads to comparisons and takes away from the quality of the workout.

Yes! I told my husband this morning that I wasn’t going to cook tonight Nd that we would have leftovers instead. I am totally going to have a peanut butter sandwich for dinner now. Yum!

I like to position myself in the middle of the room when I go to a new group exercise class. That way, whatever direction we are facing, I can see what’s going on and have a better chance at following along. That is of course assuming the people around me know what they are doing. :)

37. Courtney says

My best tips for trying a new class are to take advantage of any beginner or foundations classes that are offered, many times if you are trying something new there are specific class times for beginners. I recently started Crossfit a few months ago and I still attend the beginner class to get the benefits of the extra instruction on proper form. Also don’t forget to have fun, as long as you are breaking a sweat it’s a win!

When I’m taking a new group exercise class, I like to bring a friend. Having someone with me makes me feel more comfortable tackling a new workout. :) I implement the buddy system! Ha! I also try to go at a time when it is typically less crowded. I don’t like going into a new class that is packed with a bunch of regulars.

Those sound SO good!!

I would also arrive early but I wouldn’t talk to the teacher because I’m just too shy for that. haha. I just make sure that I have the same equipment everybody else has and don’t sit in the front. I think, at least for me, that there are always a large range of fitness levels in group classes. It’s comforting to now that they aren’t all professional athletes.

40. Mallory says

Am I the only one who doesn’t think it’s a big deal to go to a group exercise class for the first time? I’ve done it several times on my own and while I’m not the most coordinated person out there, it’s an hour of my life and if all fails, you just “fake it til you make it.” Plus, awkward situations are inevitable in life and the best way to deal with them is to embrace them. I’d laugh about it afterwards if it goes awry, but it never has. Confidence is all you really need. I don’t think it’s necessary to make a big thing of it and talk to the instructor privately before the class, unless you have specific questions. I mean it’s supposed to be a FUN activity and it’s a mere hour of your life! No bigs!

• Jen says

I totally agree too! I’ve never felt nervous about trying a new class, just excited to be trying something that puts something new in my workout routine. Everyone in class is there for the same reason and once class gets started, no one is paying attention to the new person anyway. What’s the worst that can happen? You get behind a count or two? No biggie! Group exercise classes are fun no matter what!

Love this! Happy National Peanut Butter Day! Surprisingly, I didn’t really become a fan of PB until about 4 years ago when I became a vegetarian. Now I can’t get enough of it! This morning I made myself a smoothie after my run that tasted just like a butterfinger. Peanut butter, chocolate syrup, and vanilla coconut milk. YUM!

P.S. I’m new to your blog, but I REALLY enjoy reading it! I’m totally into healthy living and eating well (and a lot), so it’s fun to see what others are doing.

42. Whitney says

Good thing I have a PB&J for lunch today! I eat peanut butter in some way, shape or form everyday. I don’t think I will ever get tired of it! :)

43. Jennie says

My boyfriend (who has his Master’s degree in sport psychology and I (who am getting my Master’s in clinical mental health counseling) frequently discuss mental toughness and positive self-talk…for me personally, I think that the positive self-talk plays a huge role in pumping myself up for a new and/or unfamiliar group exercise class. I think being mindful, having an awareness of the present, and ability to chuckle at yourself, and being patient with yourself are incredibly helpful when starting any new experience! When I started taking Jazzercise classes, I was a bit daunted…I mean I love to dance around my apartment or when I’m out with friends, but that’s a different story :) Then, I saw the wonderful diversity of the people in the class (men and women of all ages and body types) and seeing the older women really bust a move and so carefree was a great motivation for me!!! Hope these thoughts help!

I really like group classes because someone is there pushing you and having others there is always motivating. If I don’t like a class 1/2 way through I’ll just pick up my equipment and leave. I have done that twice, I didn’t really know what they were about and they weren’t focusing on the party of my body I wanted to work on.

45. Amy says

My favorite way to eat peanut butter is on a PB&J sandwich, preferably toasted or at least heated in the microwave.

As far as feeling more comfortable at the gym, I was very nervous when I first joined, and it was all about overcoming mental hurdles. I had to remind myself of 2 things:

1. People are there to work on their own fitness goals, not to look at me. So if I’m looking awkward in Zumba, no one really cares – they are probably too busy looking at themselves in the mirror or at the instructor to notice my flailing arms and legs. :)

2. Stepping outside your comfort zone is how you grow, and that’s a good thing!

I’m just super awkward when I try new things, so going with a friend always helps. Also, standing near the front where I’m behind the experienced people but still able to see the instructor makes me feel less lost. Sense of humor is the most important part!

47. Pam Cook says

I made a killer peanut butter pie this weekend. My husband loves anything peanut butter and chocolate so this was for him. While it was not good for you, it was definately good! You can find the recipe on the Food Network under the Pioneer Woman peanut butter pie.

My favorite way to eat peanut butter is most definitely in cheesecake form :p
    This is going to sound really silly, but when I go to group exercise classes I don’t wear my contacts. I can still see what I’m supposed to do via the instructor, but I can’t see myself clearly in the mirror and I can’t see other people’s faces. At least for me, it makes me feel less awkward!

49. Summer says

When I started attending step class the instructor asked if there were any “new bees” I timidly raised my hand and she said, “Don’t worry! No one is looking at you. Just do what you can. At some point it was all of our first time. So, let’s have some fun and sweat!” That was amazing! After stumbling all over myself for an hour I decided to go back and after about 8 months of that two days a week, I lost 60 pounds and I hit my goal weight!!! And after 3 years I have kept it off and love working out! Although, I have grown out of step and am on to things that challenge me more.

I don’t get the opportunity to go to classes a lot. There are not many offered in the area where I live but if I do go I am going because someone asked me to go with them. That helps ease me into the class since they usually know what they are doing. I don’t know that I would be brave enough to go by myself yet. Plus a lot of things would have to line up for me to be able to go.

51. Elizabeth says

I’ve had yoga instructors say something along the lines of “Jane Doe is new to yoga! We are so excited to have you here. If you get lost at any time feel free to ask me questions or take guidance from the rest of the class, but do not let what anyone does intimidate you. Many people have been practicing for years, and what I say is just a suggestion. All of us are just so glad you joined our community and we can have a new friend” It was like SUPER warm and fuzzy, but the girl felt really comfortable the rest of the time. I feel like going out of your way can make a difference. This isn’t something one person can do, but to remember that (hopefully) that’s how everyone feels whenever I’m new somewhere helps (and if not, they suck, and I will ignore them)

52. Zoe says

I know other people have said this but i always go with a friend to a class! it makes it easier for me mentally and i also know if my friend is in it and giving it her all, then i am too. At Yoga studios and the like I will frequently call ahead and discuss my fitness level/ limitations or injuries with the instructors before signing up. In addition instructors can think of modifications for me before hand.

Well what a wonderful day today is!!! Loving peanut butter! I was premature as I had peanut butter and graham crackers last night haha. I was thinking about you the other day because as I finish out my undergrad in dietetics and move on to my master’s, I was thinking how I would love to become certified as a personal trainer as well as become a registered dietitian. Since as a collegiate athlete and dietetics student, I realize they go hand in hand and would love to have credentials for each, since people like credentials. Instead of attempting to go through your previous posts, I was wondering which program you were getting certified through?

54. stephanie gramlich says

I just recently moved from central Illinois to Milwaukee WI and I didnt have any family or friends here so in order for me to feel comfortable at my group fitness I made it a priority to always attend as much as possible. example my Yoga classes are tues thurs and saturday I have found that the more I go even with no experience the more I felt comfortable and made friends I have now found my inner Zin ha! But back home I would just go with a friend to the class and that usually made it better.

After reading your post yesterday, I had the exact same experience at Body Pump last night! I am a regular pumper, but there was one new person to the class and he made her raise her hand, but then offered no other instruction other than, “do less weight since it is your first time”. I remember being really lost my first time in BodyPump, and the best thing for me was to go with a friend who had been before for help. If that’s not an option, I’ve also looked at someone who is about my build and tried what they are lifting. I know that isn’t always a good idea since everyone else has different bodies/strength, but it at least gave me a starting point and if I had to switch weight mid song, I would! Putting yourself out there in a new class isn’t easy, but I find just putting a smile on my face immediately makes me feel happier and more confident and the rest follows suit!

Peanut butter is easily one of my favorite foods. My favorite recipes that include peanut butter are this peanut butter baked oatmeal recipe: http://www.kellytheculinarian.com/2012/02/cooking-with-kelly-peanut-butter.html

Or these no-bake peanut butter pretzel bites: http://www.kellytheculinarian.com/2011/12/stand-mixer-sunday-no-bake-chocolate.html

Peanut butter must be what the gods eat.

Happy nat’l PB day to you! I hate PB, so that’s kinda gross to me. Haha 😉

As for your question–as a fitness instructor, I think it’s key to always go over the basics EVERY class. So just acting as though there are always new people there. As for participants, I would say arrive 5 minutes early & talk to the instructor ONE on one. SO important!

Happy PB Day to you too!! I MUST try your peanut butter granola!

My favorite way to eat PB?? With apple slices! OR “Ants on a Log” lol – celery with PB and raisins. :-)

I’ve always found that being able to laugh at myself has been beneficial during group classes. The first time I tried Zumba, I’m pretty sure I looked like an ape having seizure. ha ha! But I laughed at myself and kept boogiein’.

In the gym, I suggest going with a friend first and getting to know the equipment, where to find it, etc. You’ll feel more confident and be able to focus on a great workout.

I think if you can rope in a friend to go with you to your first class, you will automatically be less nervous. IF they have done the class before then great, if not then you can be newbies together! I love Body Pump and go with a friend of mine most weeks, I’d like to go more though!

My biggest tips are to be confident, and know that everyone else was probably in your shoes at one point. Whether you are going to a new kind of class, or heading to the weights area in the gym. I think most people really respect newbies joining in!

This has got to be one of the greatest days of the year. I LOVE peanut butter!! :)

Those peanut butter energy bites sound amazing. Heck, ALL of those peanut butter recipes sound amazing. Who am I kidding?? 😉

My favorite way to eat peanut butter is either in desserts, on toast because it gets all warm and melted, or by itself straight out of the jar!

I’ve got to try those flour less PB cookies!
    Group exercise classes can get awkward sometimes. I was at a kickboxing class last night where we pair up, but there was an uneven number of people and the instructor didn’t seem to notice. I attend the class with a coworker, but a woman we know ended up not having a partner so we made a group of three on our own so she didn’t feel left out. Attending classes with a friend always helps me feel less out of place, especially if it’s a new class, so I try to keep that in mind when I notice others feeling left out.

Some advice on beginning a new class from a Fitness instructor: like you said arrive early and let the teacher know you are new, and let them know about any injuries or concerns, bring water in case it is not provided, don’t be afraid to use lighter weights in a strength training class to work on form and if you aren’t sure about anything ask questions (and if you are too afraid to ask during, ask after).

these pb recipes look delicious. must try them. i usually eat it on whole wheat toast. but i love it in thai food (or any asian noodles). i am a gym regular, with small children it’s a must for us to get out of the house every morning. who am i kidding? i’m addicted to working out anyway. but it can be intimidating. if the offer an orientation/free PT session, take them up on it. they will show you any machines that look scary or help you get familiar with where things are and how it works. that would be my tip for beginners.

65. Erin says

I have 6 kids and am always looking for a better breakfast food or after school snack. I’m going to try the peanut butter granola! Being that their ages are 10,10,7,7,3, and 3, they are still pretty picky eaters. Wish me luck!

66. Sarah says

I am all about group fitness classes and I try to get friends to come along all the time. I think the reminder that everyone was in the position of being a newbie at some point is one of the best tips. Even though I’ve braved many a fitness class on my own, I get SO anxious before going to a new class that everyone will be judging me–it’s never the case!

One of my favorite mottos is ‘you don’t know until you try it’. Group fitness classes are SO fun (in my opinion), but you’ll never know if you like something if you don’t give it a go. Maybe you will find out you actually like strength training (Body Pump is my fave, too, but that was a surprising discovery!) or kickboxing and didn’t even know it! As long as you go with an open mind, the worst thing that can happen is you spend an hour of your life doing something you don’t enjoy (but it’s still physical activity!). And if it’s that bad, you can always politely leave the class to opt for the treadmill or something familiar instead.

67. Nicole says

I think the number one thing to remember when you’re starting a new class with a bunch of people who have been there before is: We all had to start somewhere!

I’m a BodyPump instructor and we are told to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what that BP instructor did to your class the other day. One of the major “lessons” we learned about as we practiced cheorography for the latest few releases is how to welcome and encourage newcomers! During the first class I taught at the beginning of the year – one of the students asked me in between sets asked me, “Am I weak? I can only do biceps with five pounds on each side – you’re lifting 10’s.” I said, “You are not weak! You’re here! We get stronger and better week after week – especially if we do it consistently. Fitness is a journey. We all have different starting points, but we all had to start at the beginning.

I love your suggestion of arriving early to briefly chat with the instructor – introducing yourself and making them aware of a “newbie” can be so helpful to both of you. The instructor may be teaching the class like everyone knows what’s going on and may skip over demonstrating a move that they feel their class knows how to do (“of course everyone knows how to do a Clean & Press, duh!” – NOT!!). He/she will likely take a few extra moments throughout the class to demonstrate the movement so everyone is on the same page.

Finally – KEEP COMING BACK! Make the decision to try a new class three or four times (and maybe with different instructors, if possible). Sometimes you just “click” with someone’s teaching style better than others.

Happy PB day :) I celebrated by blending a frozen banana with chocolate soy milk and PB…ahh :) haha but I also tried my first body pump class!! I would say a big tip for a class like that is go easy on the weight, focus more on your form! I also followed your tip of gettin there early, talking to the instructor, and that helped a ton!

69. Natalie says

Hi Julie! I’m new to your blog and have been enjoying it so much! Today I tested the oatmeal peanut butter banana cookies, and I have to say, they are AMAZE!! Thanks for the recipe; I’m so excited to share them with my family and friends.

My tip (as an instructor and participant) arrive early to set up and approach the instructor! Talking one on one with them is good to do before they wack the microphone on. Take a friend with you! Les Mills has started a new thing where you don’t have to stay for the full class- if you’re new and even more so when you’re new to exercise- try a few tracks and then leave, and the following week keep adding more. Just be sure to let the instructor know beforehand as a sign of courtesy.

71. Anne says

I am so addicted to peanut butter and chocolate! I just take a bag of 60% ghirardelli chocolate chips and pour some into my jar of pb and take a spoon to it! I thought I was so weird for doing this, but looking at other posts makes me feel at home :)