Celebrate with Peanut Butter

Since the name of this blog is Peanut Butter Fingers, I would be remiss if I did not wish you a very Happy National Peanut Butter Day!

peanut butter

Just in case you’re hoping to celebrate this peanut butter day in style, here are a few of my all-time favorite peanut butter-packed recipes:

Peanut Butter Energy Bites

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Banana Cookies

Peanut Butter Granola

Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Question of the Morning

• What is your favorite way to eat peanut butter?

And another follow up question to yesterday’s post…

• I am in the process of writing a follow up post to yesterday’s post about feeing awkward during group exercise classes at the gym. I’d love to share any tips you may have that have proved beneficial for you for making yourself feel more comfortable at the gym or in a group exercise class environment. Please share!

My number one tip is to arrive to a new class five minutes early. This gives me a chance to speak with the instructor privately so I can tell them I’m new to the class and discuss any reservations I may have about the class before it begins.

Comments

I think if you can rope in a friend to go with you to your first class, you will automatically be less nervous. IF they have done the class before then great, if not then you can be newbies together! I love Body Pump and go with a friend of mine most weeks, I’d like to go more though!

My biggest tips are to be confident, and know that everyone else was probably in your shoes at one point. Whether you are going to a new kind of class, or heading to the weights area in the gym. I think most people really respect newbies joining in!

This has got to be one of the greatest days of the year. I LOVE peanut butter!! :)

Those peanut butter energy bites sound amazing. Heck, ALL of those peanut butter recipes sound amazing. Who am I kidding?? ;)

My favorite way to eat peanut butter is either in desserts, on toast because it gets all warm and melted, or by itself straight out of the jar!

I’ve got to try those flour less PB cookies!
    Group exercise classes can get awkward sometimes. I was at a kickboxing class last night where we pair up, but there was an uneven number of people and the instructor didn’t seem to notice. I attend the class with a coworker, but a woman we know ended up not having a partner so we made a group of three on our own so she didn’t feel left out. Attending classes with a friend always helps me feel less out of place, especially if it’s a new class, so I try to keep that in mind when I notice others feeling left out.

Some advice on beginning a new class from a Fitness instructor: like you said arrive early and let the teacher know you are new, and let them know about any injuries or concerns, bring water in case it is not provided, don’t be afraid to use lighter weights in a strength training class to work on form and if you aren’t sure about anything ask questions (and if you are too afraid to ask during, ask after).

these pb recipes look delicious. must try them. i usually eat it on whole wheat toast. but i love it in thai food (or any asian noodles). i am a gym regular, with small children it’s a must for us to get out of the house every morning. who am i kidding? i’m addicted to working out anyway. but it can be intimidating. if the offer an orientation/free PT session, take them up on it. they will show you any machines that look scary or help you get familiar with where things are and how it works. that would be my tip for beginners.

7. Erin says

I have 6 kids and am always looking for a better breakfast food or after school snack. I’m going to try the peanut butter granola! Being that their ages are 10,10,7,7,3, and 3, they are still pretty picky eaters. Wish me luck!

8. Sarah says

I am all about group fitness classes and I try to get friends to come along all the time. I think the reminder that everyone was in the position of being a newbie at some point is one of the best tips. Even though I’ve braved many a fitness class on my own, I get SO anxious before going to a new class that everyone will be judging me–it’s never the case!

One of my favorite mottos is ‘you don’t know until you try it’. Group fitness classes are SO fun (in my opinion), but you’ll never know if you like something if you don’t give it a go. Maybe you will find out you actually like strength training (Body Pump is my fave, too, but that was a surprising discovery!) or kickboxing and didn’t even know it! As long as you go with an open mind, the worst thing that can happen is you spend an hour of your life doing something you don’t enjoy (but it’s still physical activity!). And if it’s that bad, you can always politely leave the class to opt for the treadmill or something familiar instead.

9. Nicole says

I think the number one thing to remember when you’re starting a new class with a bunch of people who have been there before is: We all had to start somewhere!

I’m a BodyPump instructor and we are told to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what that BP instructor did to your class the other day. One of the major “lessons” we learned about as we practiced cheorography for the latest few releases is how to welcome and encourage newcomers! During the first class I taught at the beginning of the year – one of the students asked me in between sets asked me, “Am I weak? I can only do biceps with five pounds on each side – you’re lifting 10′s.” I said, “You are not weak! You’re here! We get stronger and better week after week – especially if we do it consistently. Fitness is a journey. We all have different starting points, but we all had to start at the beginning.

I love your suggestion of arriving early to briefly chat with the instructor – introducing yourself and making them aware of a “newbie” can be so helpful to both of you. The instructor may be teaching the class like everyone knows what’s going on and may skip over demonstrating a move that they feel their class knows how to do (“of course everyone knows how to do a Clean & Press, duh!” – NOT!!). He/she will likely take a few extra moments throughout the class to demonstrate the movement so everyone is on the same page.

Finally – KEEP COMING BACK! Make the decision to try a new class three or four times (and maybe with different instructors, if possible). Sometimes you just “click” with someone’s teaching style better than others.

Happy PB day :) I celebrated by blending a frozen banana with chocolate soy milk and PB…ahh :) haha but I also tried my first body pump class!! I would say a big tip for a class like that is go easy on the weight, focus more on your form! I also followed your tip of gettin there early, talking to the instructor, and that helped a ton!

11. Natalie says

Hi Julie! I’m new to your blog and have been enjoying it so much! Today I tested the oatmeal peanut butter banana cookies, and I have to say, they are AMAZE!! Thanks for the recipe; I’m so excited to share them with my family and friends.

My tip (as an instructor and participant) arrive early to set up and approach the instructor! Talking one on one with them is good to do before they wack the microphone on. Take a friend with you! Les Mills has started a new thing where you don’t have to stay for the full class- if you’re new and even more so when you’re new to exercise- try a few tracks and then leave, and the following week keep adding more. Just be sure to let the instructor know beforehand as a sign of courtesy.

13. Anne says

I am so addicted to peanut butter and chocolate! I just take a bag of 60% ghirardelli chocolate chips and pour some into my jar of pb and take a spoon to it! I thought I was so weird for doing this, but looking at other posts makes me feel at home :)