Cold Weather Cocoon

Oh heeey there! How are you doing today?

My Tuesday started off nice and early with a workout at the gym. It was in the 30s when we awoke this morning and I was awfully thankful that Ryan turned our little space heater on before we went to bed last night.

Dragging myself out of bed at 5 a.m. when our house is cold is 10 times harder than getting out of bed when it’s temperate. I give you northerners a lot of credit for tackling cold-weather workouts. You guys are champs.

Vizslas don’t have an undercoat, so Sadie’s a big baby when it comes to cold weather, too.

worst thing i can imagine

She has yet to emerge from bed this morning and created a little cocoon out of the covers for herself.

I wonder if she’s employing the same tactic I used to use during the winter when I was growing up in Illinois? I’d pull my covers up over my head and use my breath to help keep my body toasty in my little bed fort. Warmth!

Where were we? Ah! Today’s workout!

I began my gym session with a 20 minute warm up on the elliptical before heading into the weight room to complete the first workout from Phase 3 of Tina’s Best Body Boot Camp. This workout used pyramid sets to fatigue the muscles and focused on legs and shoulders.

Breakfast this morning was awfully similar to yesterday’s morning meal.

Overnight Oats with Coconut

More overnight oats!

Coconut Overnight Oats

Topped with unsweetened shredded coconut.

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• Do you find it more difficult to motivate yourself to work out during the winter?
  • How do you motivate yourself to work out when it’s freezing outside?

Comments

It takes me longer to warm up in the winter so I find it more difficult to work out.
    I love the cold weather to run in because I don’t have to have a heat stroke every time like in the summer (over exaggerating, but Alabama summer weather isnt fun)…but its not very fun to be freezing either…my motivation is always to “just get out the door and begin”…simple. I know that as soon as I begin anything I will keep going.
    Sadie makes my day!

2. Alyssa says

Maryland has been one of the more indecisive states this winter, temperature-wise. It drives me crazy because one morning I’m running in compression pants, yoga pants, thick socks, a thermal shirt, warm running jacket, gloves, and a hat and still parts of me are freezing but then other days I’m sweating in a long sleeve shirt and compression pants. In regards to motivation, I’m a swimmer by nature and history so I’m used to just jumping in and going – usually the rest takes care of myself. What helps me is being prepared – knowing the weather, having my running gear out and staring me in the face, and not even thinking but just getting up and going. I can’t wait for more temperate weather!
    – a.

Hi! I live in Buffalo in an old, drafty house. Needless to say when my alarm goes off it can be a little tough to surface from the cozy depths of my duvet. My new years resolution was to switch to a morning workout person, and what helped me more than anything was to put my alarm clock allll the way across my room to force me to get out of bed. If I didn’t do that, I don’t think I would have succeeded in my resolution!

Love your blog, I look forward to my email updates every day (it sheds some light onto the final hour at my desk job) Thank you for being such an inspiration!

4. Madeline says

I love in Minnesota and it has been FREEZING! Last week, there were many days of -30 degree windchill. 🙁 definitely isn’t motivating to leave the house, let alone workout!

Sadie looks so cute. I love her little jacket. Dogs in clothes always make me smile 🙂 I got a little “top model” top for my in-laws puppy. She was really small (the runt of the litter) and I thought should could use a bit of warmth (and style).

Question! When you say 20-minute elliptical warm up, do you follow a specific level/crossramp or just take it easy for all 20?

Your workouts and recipes are an inspiration to me! Thank you! 🙂

in my boston days, i got up at 430 or so to do my w/o….it just worked better with my life. i used a building gym which helped a TON. i also put out my gym stuff in tthe bathroom….i even tucked the prper sock into the shoe (where socks are labeled R and L). I reminded myself that it is MUCH easier to MAINTAIN the routine than it is to restart. Hitting “pause” and taking a break day sometimes is okay. I also love the lack of crowds in the PM;

My issues with working out in the winter stem mostly from the fact that the streets and sidewalks in Cleveland are covered in snow and ice almost all of the time. Because of this, I think long and hard about going for a run outside unless the temperatures have melted a good bit of the snow and ice on sidewalks. I have hopes of doing the Key West Half Marathon in 2014 but because of the weather here I’m not sure how I’d be able to train successfully for it. I don’t want to get hurt and spend the “prime” months of the racing season trying to come back from an injury suffered when I forced a run in the wintertime. I am blessed to have an indoor track on which to run, but it gets a bit monotonous at times, and the indoor running experience is pretty different from the outdoor running experience in my opinion.

9. Elizabeth M. says

Sometimes I think Sadie and my pup are twins. She does the SAME thing when it turns cold (and we live in Utah, it gets cold!) Today she went to day camp and we had to dig her out of our bed. She loves it where it’s warm and toasty! I am glad to hear she’s feeling like herself after the surgery! We had a dog who had similar lumps removed and lived to be a happy old dog 🙂

However, there are several online interfaces available where
    one needs to click on different types of options to send HTML code in email or to generate HTML code.
    Wouldn’t it be easier if we could be able to save changes ourselves whenever we want. Net’s
    builder has been out for a little more than a
    year, yet it already helped more than 5,000 webmasters to create their online forms.

The amount of space that can be saved will provide maximum
    gains to the firm. s why most web master prefers using this builder for designing and developing their web form.
    Opt-in building is a tedious work but with amazing results.

Некоторые выхлопные системы, как
    Magna – Flow хорошо удерживаются вместе с помощью хомутов поэтому есть редкие случаи трясет и звенит Исходя из под автомобилем .

навигация этого сайта лучше, чем другие интернет-мануалы Сервис отзывы .
    В свои 66 фунтов данное устройство можно легко транспортировать
    в небольшой автомобиль или фургон .

All they need to do is to enroll with their name, email, contact number and country and vemmabuilder will cater to the particular country of the person.
    Rather, they’re designed to help spark possibilities in your own mind. If a picture is worth a thousand words then you can just image how much you will absorb by browsing this site.

Horizontal Siding and Vertical Sliding refers to the outer layer of a wall,
    with shingles or boards or gaps subtly angled
    to shed water. It won’t take you extremely long to work out what way to employ it. Once safely at Thebes, though, the obelisks were brought to the temple at Karnak with much fanfare.