Old Routine

Today feels like a bit of a flashback to my old routine.

Ryan and I woke up around 5 a.m. and drove to the gym together for a workout. It felt great to check my workout off the list first thing in the morning and have a little extra time with my husband!

I began my workout with a quick five-minute warm up on the arc trainer before I hopped off and went through 10 rounds of a fast functional workout.

Functional Workout

After 10 rounds of that bad boy, I was spent! It was a good one!

Once we arrived home, I quickly blended myself a smoothie to take on our morning walk with Sadie.

Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Smoothie

In the mix:

• 1 frozen banana
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach
  • Unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Protein Smoothie Chocolate   Almond Butter

It was already hot and humid outside before 7 a.m., so this cold smoothie was the perfect treat to enjoy during our warm one mile walk.

Once we arrived home, I quickly showered and sat down to type up this blog post. I will be heading off to work as soon as I press publish!

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• If your schedule was wiiiide open, what time would you prefer to work out?

I definitely prefer to work out right after I wake up in the morning. I like setting my day in motion! However, I must admit that sometimes I am quite sleepy when I go to the gym right after I wake up and I would probably get a better workout if I waited to work out an hour or so after breakfast, but that doesn’t really work with my schedule most days. I guess this is a long way of saying that I prefer to work out at the crack of dawn, but the quality of my work out improves if I work out around 9 a.m.

Comments

I definitely prefer the morning too! It makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something first thing, which is a great feeling. I was planning a treadmill workout today and I’m going to incorporate your circuit for a HIIT workout. Thanks for sharing and have a great Wednesday!

That’s so nice you had a morning like your old routine :) and thats so funny you asked about workout time, because i have the day off today and yesterday i was trying to plan my workouts since i do find myself in the rare case where i have the whole day! i originally planned a 7am bar method class (usually i do the 6am) but then i decided to take it slower- have breakfast, coffee, read blogs and then go to class at 9:30, followed by a run. i think i’m more likely to get the most out of my workouts this way. we shall see!

Nice workout! I’ve been trying to switch it up lately and your workouts always give me good ideas. I prefer to hit the gym in the morning. By default, I have to go at 5 am, but if I have a day off I usually go around 10 or 11.

Probably about 8-3:30am. Usually I am awake enough by then 😉 Even though I do not love my evening workouts after work all the times I do find I have better workouts later in the day and feel better after a long day of work then working out. So maybe I do prefer evening workouts!

I prefer to work out when I wake up but if my schedule was wide open that would mean no alarm so instead of getting up at 6am to workout it’d be more like 9am :)

That smoothie looked so delicious!

Even if I had all day to workout, I still think I would choose the morning. It is a great feeling to get a sweaty workout in and out of the way before anything else. That way, if anything comes up throughout the day, exercise has already been checked off my to-do list!

I love working out in the morning. Being able to get my exercise out of the way makes my day always go by more smoothly. Usually if I make evening workout plans I end up spending the entire day coming up with reasons why I can’t/don’t want to work out. Not good!

Morning. Always…as soon as I get up. It sets the tone for the rest of my day and I don’t have to worry about scheduling my workout in later in the day. When I work out in the morning, I know that I can schedule everything else AFTER my workout and not have to worry.

I am totally with ya on the crack of dawn workouts! I like to start my day with a good sweat session and then I do not have to worry about scheduling it in. I find that I am often too tired after work to get my butt moving.

Love days where I get to sleep in a little later! I prefer to work out right away when I wake up … but on days when I’m on rotations for med school that doesn’t happen so I work out at night.

I’m the same way! There’s just something about being done with your workout by 7 or 8 but then there are some days where I feel like my body is dragging! But like you, it doesn’t work well for me not to get it done first–better to do it than not at all!

If I could get to bed early enough, I’d love to run while the sun is coming up. Unfortunately, I’m usually not able to be up that early because I have things I need to accomplish in the nighttime, but that’s the dream! I’m still able to get out early enough for my runs where it’s still pretty out and the sun’s not violently beating down on me, so I guess I can’t complain too much. :)

I am a big fan of the lunch time / 3pm work outs. Lately I have been working out from 3 – 4 then I go to physical therapy 4:30 – 5:30. Prior to going to physical therapy I would start my work out between 10:30 and noon. I am always ready to get my self up out of my seat by then!

I like getting my workout early in the morning. I recently cancelled my gym membership and I don’t want to run in the heat so waking up at 5-6am is imperative! I get too tired after work to be able to workout. I’m not sure how people do it.

15. Vicki says

I like to go around 9 or 10am, so I would be done before noon. Unfortunately, my schedule rarely allows for that anymore except on the weekend because I am looking after my grandma during the day and I have to wait until she goes downstairs to the dining hall for lunch (meaning I don’t get to leave until about 11:15). Working out earlier in the day helps me wake up and start my day right!

I would love to start working out first thing in the morning! I know it would be much better for me and I’d feel so accomplished. But we wake up at 6 to get ready for work and have to leave by 7, so I haven’t made myself wake up any earlier yet! I always work out right when I get home from work, before we make or eat dinner. I think if I had someone who would run with me at 5 am I could totally do it, but the thought of running outside in the dark alone makes me nervous :(

The smoothie sounds so good! I am the same way- I love getting my workout in first thing, but the days when I do workout a little later I tend to have a bit more energy and stamina. Thanks so much for the link love!

I normally workout between 5 a & 6am. I definitely prefer an early morning workout, as opposed to waiting until the evening, but something more like 7am would do nicely sometimes. :) I would much rather drag myself out of bed and get the workout over with, because the last thing I want to do after work is go to the gym and it’s much easier to make excuses! I’m also much more alert and energized if I work out in the morning.

i love my little routine — it’s sort of similar to yours. i’m usually up at 5, have a snack and coffee and read until 6, then work out from 6-7 or so. at work by 9! best way to kick off the day IMO.

also, how is vanilla almond milk “unsweetened”?? wouldn’t it need sugar to make it vanilla-y?

I like to work out first thing in the morning or in the evening, a couple hours before bed. I work during the days so I can’t work out then and I need an hour or two after work to unwind before I workout.

I would love to be able to work out after I wake up in the mornings, but I always have to in the evenings after work. I feel like a morning workout would jumpstart and shape my day to be a good one :)

I’m all for morning workouts but I’m usually in the gym or out running for 6am as opposed to 5am…not sure I could hack it quite that early :) 10 rounds…sounds epic! How long did it take?

Oooh, I’m totally going to try this! I’m just not feeling a run out in the super hot humid weather today.

I can workout first thing in the morning if I have to, but like you, it’s just better if I wait about an hour to fully wake up.

24. Jill says

Do you ever miss your old routine? Is the place you currently work at the gym you went to all along?

Your smoothie looks so thick, mine are always too thin and I still cant find an appropriate mix. Needs crunch on top or toast on the side :)

• Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers says

Yes it is! And I do miss it sometimes, but working at the gym has been incredibly rewarding. I love it and feel like it’s something I probably should’ve done a while ago! I do miss my early work outs most days though!

As of now, I work out AFTER work. Pregnancy has made me extra tired lately and slow in the mornings! Once I have my baby though, I’ll work out in the morning after I drop him or her off at daycare before I go to work.

That must have been fun to work out in the morning with Ryan again! I think I prefer working out in the afternoons or evenings because that’s when I am used to working out when I’m in school or working.

First off, I just wanted to say I have loved reading your blog! I’ve tried some of your treadmill workouts and they are fun and intense!
    I like to workout right when I get up, because if it doesn’t happen in the morning the chance of me actually working out significantly decreases as the day goes on. However I do agree, usually later in the day I actually have better workouts because I have had a chance to eat and hydrate, but I always feel more productive if I get a workout in when I wake up (usually 7-8am).

I’m the same way I like to work out in the AM but too early and I’m way too sluggish! The afternoon is okay too but too late and my motivation dwindles. Your smoothie looked sooooo good!

I think I’d still prefer the mornings because I like that feeling of getting it out of the way before I start my day. And also because I like to shower in the mornings, not in the middle of the afternoon! It fits just into my schedule, esp when school starts!

Love this functional training workout. I need to learn how to do a plank jack!

I’m with you. I like to workout early in the morning, but I usually end up waiting an hour, from the time I wake up to the I get to the gym, before working out. I either blog for an hour, of if I’m working out by my office, drive to the gym by the office. Gives me more time to wake up. Definitely like getting it done early though. Sets the tone for a productive day!

Ok, I love this smoothie recipe AND I want to try that workout. I no longer have a gym membership bc I moved to a different state, so want to make use of the weight room in my apartment complex. By the way, I was always surprised you weren’t a trainer til recently hahha it seems like you’re a natural.

Do you have a recommendation for nondairy protein powder??

32. Andrea B. says

I like working out in the morning as well. If I try and do it at night, there are too many excuses not to do it; too many fun things to do instead.

33. Nicole says

I usually get to the gym an hour after I wake up. Going early also sets me up for a better day of eating. For some reason exercising makes me crave fruits and vegetables.

I prefer morning workouts over all others. Even though it’s not easy waking up at 5:30 every day, I feel so good afterwards. AND getting it done in the morning means my evenings are wiiiide open!

35. Julie says

I couldn’t decide what workout to do today so I did this one…I was a sweaty mess at the end!!! Please tell me you took a little break at the end of each round?? :0 Also, did you use weights for the lunges? I started off with weights but as the workout progressed I had to nix ’em!

I always find exercising in the morning to be the best option because if I do it in the evening, I always think about the things I COULD be getting done. It just makes me antsy so I do it bright and early! Plus, gyms tend to be packed in the evenings so it’s nice to go when the gym is at its quietest!

I’m definitely a morning workout person. I’m way more likely to get it done! I’m fine in the evenings if the workout is a Spin class or something because I’m less likely to skip, and I don’t have to think so much! The worst for me is afternoon runs-I NEVER can get those in!

38. Jennifer B says

YUM! That smoothie is amazing! I just made one (minus the spinach, none on hand). Wow this is like dessert. Thanks!

I need to make that smoothie! I’ve been wanting a chocolate one forever, but I keep forgetting! I am the exact same on the workout front. During the year, I do it right when I wake up, but on weekends and in the summer I hang around for a bit. I’m more awake, fuelled up and have a much more productive workout. :)

I totally prefer working out/teaching fitness in the morning. For sure! I feel so so much better when I do. And I have to say, my workouts usually go well–I just have to do a warmup to get moving!

Totally love to workout first thing when I get up, but lately I have been sleeping a little more, teaching a class at 8am or 9am and then doing my workout. I love it, but I hate that when I done, showered and given myself some time to eat the day is half over!

I’m going to try this workout after my run today! (I think I’ll cut it down to 5 rounds since running in the hills will have my legs hammered already!). If I had all the time in the world, I’d workout around 11am, like I’m about to do now since I’m on vacation! I like sleeping in until 7:30 or 8, eating breakfast, and having time to digest before heading out. But usually, I head out the door around 5am to squeeze in my workout before work!

That smoothie looks delicious!

I am NOT a morning person, but I’ve discovered that getting up and getting it over with is the best way for me. 6am workouts, yay!

This is totally off topic (sorry if I’m breaking any Serious Blog Rules, I hope not!) but I was reading your old blogging tips posts, and you mention tweeting a lot. How do you organize your twitter? It’s so overwhelming to me! (I would love to see a whole blog post devoted to this! Just an idea. Cause I’m sure you don’t have enough 😉 ) Thanks!

I definitely prefer to workout first thing in the morning, but whatever time my body wakes up! If I set an alarm, I usually hit snooze a thousand times convincing myself that sleep is more important (and it probably is most of the time). But when I don’t set an alarm (hi weekends I love you!) and wake up naturally, I’m usually energized and ready to work it!

45. Jessica says

I’m with you that I like to workout in the morning, but I have to get up so early. To workout in the morning I have to get up at 5, but I would prefer to workout at 8 or 9.

I would workout at 9am if I had nothing else on my schedule for the day. It would give enough time to get up and eat breakfast, but still get the workout done before too much of the day got away. I so admire people who can workout in the early morning or before work!

Thanks for the that amazing looking workout! Will definitely be trying it while travelling this holiday weekend. Love no equipment workouts!

I’m like you; I definitely prefer to workout first thing in the morning! I think it sets my day off on the right foot, and gives me energy to face whatever is next. I really would not have considered myself a morning person until I started working out in the mornings. It was hard at first, but now I absolutely love it!!!

I absolutely love working out first thing in the morning- it feels so great to get it done and keeps me motivated for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I’m a teacher so this is only possible in the summer, so I relish those 2 months!

I also prefer to workout in the mornings! It keeps me well energized (and extremely hyper) thoughout the day! I like the feeling of working out on an empty stomach as well. But recently I’ve been doing 1 mile runs in the morning, and strength and agility training in the evening.

I prefer to workout in the morning because it means I’m less likely to miss it. But my body definitely functions better in the afternoon. PM runs are always quicker than AM runs for me.

51. Caitlin says

I have never been able to do the morning workout thing! I find that no matter how much sleep I get, if I try to fly out the door immediately upon waking to go work out, I’m exhauuuusted the rest of the day. I love working out late afternoon, before dinnertime :) Andddd speaking of, I’m definitely taking this workout to the gym today!

Love that workout! I always lose count though with 10 rounds! I have to keep track on my Tabata timer. Such a space sometimes! I like to workout in the mornings after I’ve had my coffee and breakfast. I used to be a first thing in the morning person but had to alter my routine after my son was born. Darn kids! 😉

53. Amy says

I prefer to workout in the AM! That way I can start my day off right and enjoy the added energy for the day.

By the way, I tried out the functional workout today and LOVED IT! I sweat up a storm and it felt amazing. Definitely a fun way to switch things up. Thank you for posting it! :)

I absolutely love to workout first thing, although often times I also want to stay in my bed. Working out as the sun is coming up on a warm summers day but it still being crisp in the morning is the absolute best! If only it wasn’t winter down here in Australia :-( brrrr!

I love working out in the mornings, around 8ish or a little earlier if it’s hot out. Unfortunately that doesn’t work out so well when I have to be at work around 630 lol. Can’t wait to try that routine!

56. Lori says

I am at work right now on the 4th of July and I am NOT BUSY… So I am doing the FUNCTIONAL WORKOUT that you posted above and boy oh boy is it AWESOME! I emailed you a couple of days ago asking for a workout I can do when I am not busy at the hospital and this workout is the bomb diggity because I don’t need any equipment and I am buring the calories! PHEW!
    THANKS TO BILLION! 😀

57. Sue Alton says

Loved the workout! Only made it through 6 times butnthisnis a keeper and I will make it to 10. As far as working out I really enjoy mid morning because the gym is not as crowded!

I love the workout! I’m planning on doing it this afternoon (minus the kettlebell move…I’m still in the process of moving and have no equipment). I prefer to workout in the early afternoon. The gym I usually go to has a huge wall of windows with treadmills facing the east…takes a little bit of the fun out of sunrise workouts!

Early morning! It’s cool out for summers so that’s a plus. I just like to get it done and enjoy the rest of the day! It also makes me feel great for the day knowing the hard work I put in bright and early! :-)

60. Jessica H says

What bledner do you use? There are so many options out there and I want to make sure I am buying something worth the $ :)