Old Routine

Today feels like a bit of a flashback to my old routine.

Ryan and I woke up around 5 a.m. and drove to the gym together for a workout. It felt great to check my workout off the list first thing in the morning and have a little extra time with my husband!

I began my workout with a quick five-minute warm up on the arc trainer before I hopped off and went through 10 rounds of a fast functional workout.

Functional Workout

After 10 rounds of that bad boy, I was spent! It was a good one!

Once we arrived home, I quickly blended myself a smoothie to take on our morning walk with Sadie.

Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Smoothie

In the mix:

• 1 frozen banana
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach
  • Unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Protein Smoothie Chocolate   Almond Butter

It was already hot and humid outside before 7 a.m., so this cold smoothie was the perfect treat to enjoy during our warm one mile walk.

Once we arrived home, I quickly showered and sat down to type up this blog post. I will be heading off to work as soon as I press publish!

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• If your schedule was wiiiide open, what time would you prefer to work out?

I definitely prefer to work out right after I wake up in the morning. I like setting my day in motion! However, I must admit that sometimes I am quite sleepy when I go to the gym right after I wake up and I would probably get a better workout if I waited to work out an hour or so after breakfast, but that doesn’t really work with my schedule most days. I guess this is a long way of saying that I prefer to work out at the crack of dawn, but the quality of my work out improves if I work out around 9 a.m.

Comments

I’m definitely a morning workout person. I’m way more likely to get it done! I’m fine in the evenings if the workout is a Spin class or something because I’m less likely to skip, and I don’t have to think so much! The worst for me is afternoon runs-I NEVER can get those in!

2. Jennifer B says

YUM! That smoothie is amazing! I just made one (minus the spinach, none on hand). Wow this is like dessert. Thanks!

I need to make that smoothie! I’ve been wanting a chocolate one forever, but I keep forgetting! I am the exact same on the workout front. During the year, I do it right when I wake up, but on weekends and in the summer I hang around for a bit. I’m more awake, fuelled up and have a much more productive workout. :)

I totally prefer working out/teaching fitness in the morning. For sure! I feel so so much better when I do. And I have to say, my workouts usually go well–I just have to do a warmup to get moving!

Totally love to workout first thing when I get up, but lately I have been sleeping a little more, teaching a class at 8am or 9am and then doing my workout. I love it, but I hate that when I done, showered and given myself some time to eat the day is half over!

I’m going to try this workout after my run today! (I think I’ll cut it down to 5 rounds since running in the hills will have my legs hammered already!). If I had all the time in the world, I’d workout around 11am, like I’m about to do now since I’m on vacation! I like sleeping in until 7:30 or 8, eating breakfast, and having time to digest before heading out. But usually, I head out the door around 5am to squeeze in my workout before work!

That smoothie looks delicious!

I am NOT a morning person, but I’ve discovered that getting up and getting it over with is the best way for me. 6am workouts, yay!

This is totally off topic (sorry if I’m breaking any Serious Blog Rules, I hope not!) but I was reading your old blogging tips posts, and you mention tweeting a lot. How do you organize your twitter? It’s so overwhelming to me! (I would love to see a whole blog post devoted to this! Just an idea. Cause I’m sure you don’t have enough ;) ) Thanks!

I definitely prefer to workout first thing in the morning, but whatever time my body wakes up! If I set an alarm, I usually hit snooze a thousand times convincing myself that sleep is more important (and it probably is most of the time). But when I don’t set an alarm (hi weekends I love you!) and wake up naturally, I’m usually energized and ready to work it!

9. Jessica says

I’m with you that I like to workout in the morning, but I have to get up so early. To workout in the morning I have to get up at 5, but I would prefer to workout at 8 or 9.

I would workout at 9am if I had nothing else on my schedule for the day. It would give enough time to get up and eat breakfast, but still get the workout done before too much of the day got away. I so admire people who can workout in the early morning or before work!

Thanks for the that amazing looking workout! Will definitely be trying it while travelling this holiday weekend. Love no equipment workouts!

I’m like you; I definitely prefer to workout first thing in the morning! I think it sets my day off on the right foot, and gives me energy to face whatever is next. I really would not have considered myself a morning person until I started working out in the mornings. It was hard at first, but now I absolutely love it!!!

I absolutely love working out first thing in the morning- it feels so great to get it done and keeps me motivated for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I’m a teacher so this is only possible in the summer, so I relish those 2 months!

I also prefer to workout in the mornings! It keeps me well energized (and extremely hyper) thoughout the day! I like the feeling of working out on an empty stomach as well. But recently I’ve been doing 1 mile runs in the morning, and strength and agility training in the evening.

I prefer to workout in the morning because it means I’m less likely to miss it. But my body definitely functions better in the afternoon. PM runs are always quicker than AM runs for me.

15. Caitlin says

I have never been able to do the morning workout thing! I find that no matter how much sleep I get, if I try to fly out the door immediately upon waking to go work out, I’m exhauuuusted the rest of the day. I love working out late afternoon, before dinnertime :) Andddd speaking of, I’m definitely taking this workout to the gym today!

Love that workout! I always lose count though with 10 rounds! I have to keep track on my Tabata timer. Such a space sometimes! I like to workout in the mornings after I’ve had my coffee and breakfast. I used to be a first thing in the morning person but had to alter my routine after my son was born. Darn kids! ;-)

17. Amy says

I prefer to workout in the AM! That way I can start my day off right and enjoy the added energy for the day.

By the way, I tried out the functional workout today and LOVED IT! I sweat up a storm and it felt amazing. Definitely a fun way to switch things up. Thank you for posting it! :)

I absolutely love to workout first thing, although often times I also want to stay in my bed. Working out as the sun is coming up on a warm summers day but it still being crisp in the morning is the absolute best! If only it wasn’t winter down here in Australia :-( brrrr!

I love working out in the mornings, around 8ish or a little earlier if it’s hot out. Unfortunately that doesn’t work out so well when I have to be at work around 630 lol. Can’t wait to try that routine!

20. Lori says

I am at work right now on the 4th of July and I am NOT BUSY… So I am doing the FUNCTIONAL WORKOUT that you posted above and boy oh boy is it AWESOME! I emailed you a couple of days ago asking for a workout I can do when I am not busy at the hospital and this workout is the bomb diggity because I don’t need any equipment and I am buring the calories! PHEW!
    THANKS TO BILLION! :D

21. Sue Alton says

Loved the workout! Only made it through 6 times butnthisnis a keeper and I will make it to 10. As far as working out I really enjoy mid morning because the gym is not as crowded!

I love the workout! I’m planning on doing it this afternoon (minus the kettlebell move…I’m still in the process of moving and have no equipment). I prefer to workout in the early afternoon. The gym I usually go to has a huge wall of windows with treadmills facing the east…takes a little bit of the fun out of sunrise workouts!

Early morning! It’s cool out for summers so that’s a plus. I just like to get it done and enjoy the rest of the day! It also makes me feel great for the day knowing the hard work I put in bright and early! :-)

24. Jessica H says

What bledner do you use? There are so many options out there and I want to make sure I am buying something worth the $ :)