Go-To Meal for One

Last night Sadie and I had some fun together! It was just the two of us for the evening since Ryan had a work conflict and I made the best of my solo night Sadie and took her on a long walk before heading home to make dinner.

photo (12)

We walked about three miles while I listened to the latest Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me podcast.

photo (11)

The most recent podcast was hilarious and I laughed out loud on more than one occasion. By the time we made it home, I was ready for dinner and quickly assembled an easy meal that included pasta, shrimp and vegetables.

This meal was ridiculously simple and came together in no time at all.

macaroni noodles with vegetables and shrimp

First, I boiled macaroni noodles and added frozen shrimp to the bubbling water at the last minute. As the shrimp cooked, I microwaved some frozen vegetables and then tossed everything together with a little bit of butter, salt and pepper.

macaroni with shrimp and veggies

Since Ryan isn’t a big-time pasta lover, it’s often one of my go-to meals when I know I’ll be dining solo at home. It’s so easy to make and I love the way you can doctor it up with different sauces, proteins and vegetables. Yum!

Some more yummy pasta recipes:

I hope you guys are having a good morning so far. I’m off to work but I’ll see ya after lunch!

Questions of the Morning

• Do you enjoy listening to podcasts? What is your current favorite?
  • What is your favorite way to make pasta?

Comments

I love Wait Wait! This American Life is amazing, and I will listen to Fresh Air and Planet Money too if the topics sound interesting. I really enjoy how Planet Money makes complex topics easy to understand.

I don’t usually listen to podcasts, but I want to try Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me now!
    Pasta really is great for a fabulous throw-together meal. I like putting either tomato sauce or olive oil + salt and pepper with veggies and chicken, ground turkey, or fish!
    Your meal looks delicious!

3. jill says

How does one listen to a podcast without an ipod or mp3 and without paying for downloading?
    I’m not tech savvy but recently switched phone plans and was given a Samsung (don’t ask me what kind, no idea, ha)…but if I went outside and attached headphones to it…can I or how would I listen to podcast? (easy way? no downloading? no money involved and no extreme internet usage?).

• says

You can definitely attach headphones to your phone to listen to a podcast. I would go to the app store on your phone and download the free podcast app. Then, from there, you can search for podcasts that interest you. I hope this helps!

If I’m feeling particularly lazy I just boil some pasta with store bought marinara sauce. If you roast up some veggies (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and just mix it all in, it makes it looks slightly fancier! Hah!

I love rotini or bowtie pasta mixed with sauteed spinach, chicken apple sausage, shredded gouda cheese, and organic spaghetti sauce. I love just throwing it all together in a bowl on those nights when you’re fave tv show is about to come on…quick and easy

Fortunately my boyfriend loves pasta, and it goes with everything. Veggies, chicken or sausage, a little cheese, and a bottle of wine, and we’re set for the night. In podcast land, I love NPR’s Fresh Air, Jillian Michaels, and Marc Maron’s WTF podcast.

Looks like you and Sadie had a great night together! I always make pasta when Grant isn’t home because he isn’t a big fan.. and I love it! My fav way to make it is to make one-pot pasta dinners where you literally throw everything into one pot and let it cook. No draining required.

I love the Jillian Michael’s podcast. She has such great information and it is so entertaining! I love listening during my walks with my dog Henry, too.

I’m a big fan of any pasta with seafood! Or meatballs! As for sauces, anything with a LOT of onion + garlic flavor like marinara or garlic-infused olive oil 🙂

10. Kristen says

Love podcasts! My favorites are Stuff Mom Never Told You, Stuff You Should Know, Fresh Air, and The Splendid Table. Looks like a lot of people love the Jillian Michael’s podcast–I’ll have to check that one out, too!

I love your dog. She’s adorable.
    That’s so funny that you cook pasta when he’s gone. And even more so that you put butter and salt in it. When I’m home alone or I’m not feeling well, I’ll always make a bowl of pasta with broccoli, butter, parmesan cheese and salt. It’s like a special meal for myself hahah.

dan was out of town on friday, so i made the most of my solo night by watching “safe haven,” though i have to say that watching it alone was KIND of a mistake. i was definitely crying with my pupper looking at me like i was nuts 🙂

Aw so fun. I actually love my occasional solo nights at home 🙂 Pasta is such an easy meal to whip together! One podcast I have listened to is Pat Flynn’s Smart Passive Income..it’s pretty motivating!

My favorite meal with pasta has to be macaroni and cheese. I’ve been dying to try a lobster macaroni and cheese because it’s pretty much the best of both worlds! I’ve never listened to a podcast before… Is it bad I don’t really know what they are?

I saw your instagram post on the NPR podcast last night and am intrigued! We used to listen to NPR every morning in my AP Bio class way back in high school and I remember loving it – but I have no idea how to access podcasts! Is it through a website or download or something?

I totally have my go-to meal for one when I know I’ll be home by myself for dinner. Mine is a bit strange, but its essentially just a big stirfry with chickpeas and veggies on a bed of rice with some tamari sauce. So simple, but so delicious!!

Love solo nights at home with my pup. Sometimes all you need is a little qt puppy time :-).

I too love pasta, but honestly, just love it plain. I like to cook up some angel hair and then add some simple olive oil, basil and fresh mozzarella. I just love the taste of pasta! Recently, I had the most delicious homemade pasta in NYC. That fresh taste just can’t be beat.

• Brittani says

Whoops! I meannnnt to say I’m a huge fan of podcasts! I listen to them at work to help pass the time. My favorites are Planet Money and Stuff You Should Know (it makes me laugh out loud

Since my blog is focused on cooking for one, I have gotten really good at throwing together some easy pasta meals. They are some of my favorites when I need something quick and filling. Some of my favorite additions include any kind of bean, tons of veggies, and canned salmon with lemon. Yum!

I love podcasts! I’m actually not a huge music fan while I workout for some unknown reason but I do enjoy podcasts my favorites are jillian michaels, stuff you should know, freakonomics is interesting, how stuff works, and wait wait don’t tell me is always a good one:)

I love so many podcasts! Ben Greenfield Fitness, Slate Political Gabfest, Freakonomics, Jillian Michaels, Marathon Training Academy … the list goes on :). Have been meaning to try out Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me since I’ve heard so much about it!

I like to boil pasta with red wine in the water. It gives it an extra bump in flavor.

I’m trying to get into Pod Casts. If I go walking, which is rarely, I listen to some sort of NPR pod cast. Perhaps I’ll try a Jillian Michael’s one though!

22. Ashlee says

My absolute favorite podcast is Stuff You Should Know at Howstuffworks.com. The hosts, Josh and Chuck, are incredibly personable and funny. They cover a range of topics from the really mind-blowing and goofy (for instance, how lobotomies work, how dueling works or how deja vu works), right down to what might be considered mundane (ie. how earthworms work), but in their hands, even some of the more seemingly uninteresting topics are highly entertaining.