My Quick Go-To Healthy Lunch

Since I often have a very limited amount of time to swing by our house, let Sadie out and fix myself a quick meal during my lunch break, I’ve found myself throwing a bunch of stuff in a bowl and calling it lunch more often than not these days.

But I am loving it!

Quick Healthy Lunch

Salads are obviously easy and often quite healthy, but I’ve found myself veering away from a traditional salad most days. (Except for yesterday. Ha!)

Over the course of the past month or two I’ve had a go-to checklist running through my head that I follow whenever I am hungry at lunchtime and don’t know what I want to eat. The end result is always a delicious and satisfying meal. (This meal is also really easy to prep the night before and bring to work with me when I can’t make it home at noon.)

I owe this lunchtime inspiration to Anne’s previous “How To Make a Quick Healthy Weeknight Dinner” post!

First, I start with a base of cooked brown rice, quinoa, wheat berries or barley. (I often cook a big batch of one or two of these on Sundays to eat during the week.)

brown rice base

Top with a handful of leafy greens or chopped vegetables such as spinach or broccoli.

spinach brown rice

Add a sprinkling of cooked beans (black beans or edamame are a personal favorite). Sometimes I’ll add lentils in place of beans and I love that flavor combination, too!

edamame spinach

Then I add a source of protein. (I used a black bean veggie burger in today’s lunch but my favorite protein sources are hardboiled eggs, shrimp, veggie burgers or shredded chicken. )

Top with sliced avocado and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Brown Rice Bowl

Then finish it off with a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette or Green Goddess dressing!

Such an easy meal but it’s incredibly satisfying and since there are a ton of different flavor combinations, I haven’t found myself getting sick of it yet. Thank you to Anne for inspiring a large number of the lunches I’ve enjoyed so far this year!

Question of the Afternoon

• What is your favorite go-to meal when you’re in a hurry?

In addition to the above meal, I’ve found myself eating oatmeal topped with almond butter and fresh berries at lunchtime on occasion when I need to eat something fast and don’t want to put a lot of thought into my meal.

i have never really been a salad person. I guess that is because I don’t know enough about them and what makes them good or not. This salad looks amazing and I love everything that is in it 🙂 I will have to try this out. Thank you!

My quickie meals are oatmeal with fruit & peanut butter or a turkey sandwich with spicy mustard & spinach in a whole wheat wrap. Salad with grain is something I’ve never put together. I may need to give that one a whirl!

That salad looks so good! I need to remember to stock up on things like frozen edamame and veggie burgers for this very reason. My go-to quick lunch is usually leftovers from the night before.

4. amelia says

Yum! I love doing the same. Whenever I’m pressed for time, a giant green smoothie with protein plus a side of avocado toast or open face pbj/ on rice cakes usually works. I also like scrambled eggs with greens and avocado. The key to a satisfying meal for me is enough fats (avocados/ nuts) and substantial protein like a hardboiled egg or other favorite protein. 🙂

5. Allison says

I do something very similar! I cook about 1 lb of chicken every week in the crock pot and a cup of brown rice. I mix that with home made salsa for some flavor and then top it with avocado or the 100 calorie guacamole packets. It’s really easy for lunches or a quick dinner.

I agree with you, I love Anne’s go to recipes. She does a great way of illustrating balance. By adding a grain to my salads, I feel so much more satisfied and have more energy throughout the day then when I was just eating veggies for carbs like others have instructed. Different things work for different folks, so glad I finally found what works for me.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Thanks for sharing this! It’s such a simple and easy idea! I’m definitely bookmarking your post for when I can’t figure out what to eat since I always have each of these types of ingredients on hand.

My go-to is a couple cups of sauteed kale topped with fried eggs. It comes together in less than 5 minutes but it has protein and leafy greens! If I have a couple extra minutes (or leftovers) I’ll add sweet potatoes. Yum.

9. Megan says

Thanks so much Julie- I’m about to start a full time job and really need easy, quick to pack, delicious lunches that are nutritious (and vegetarian). This is definitely on my list.

Wow. This looks really good.

My go-to lunch meal is a veggie egg salad. It fills me up a little more than other salads, so I’m not snacking constantly after lunch…lol.