Things I’m Loving Friday #168

Good morning, my friends. How are you today? I hope you’re feeling ready for a weekend of relaxation and hopefully a little fun, too.

The first half of the first week of 2017 was a good one over here and filled with plenty of play dates with my favorite little man, crock pot dinners, Chipotle and evenings spent curled up on the couch under a blanket with Ryan at the end of the day. I also began reading a new book (Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty) and I always love crawling into bed at night when I know I have a good book waiting for me!

The past two days of this week, however, things took a turn and I’ve been camping out at home with a sick toddler. I took Chase to the pediatrician after a rough Wednesday and he has an ear infection. We spent most of Wednesday and Thursday cuddling and doing our best to make him feel better. I was up a lot in the night with him and my heart just melted for our sick little guy. Chase never slows down enough to so much as rest his head on my shoulder so I took every opportunity to hold my sweet boy and love on him. I am hoping his medicine kicks in soon and have hopes for a (relatively) healthy weekend ahead. I hope you all stay healthy out there, my friends!

And on that note, now it’s time for my first Things I’m Loving Friday post of the new year! Below you will find a roundup of a few of the things that are making me smile this week and, as always, I welcome you to join in the fun in the comments section.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend and stay nice and warm!

Things I’m Loving Friday

• Reformatted Workout Pages

Workout Index Page

It FINALLY happened! The Workout Page on the blog received a much-needed makeover and should now be much easier to navigate thanks to lots of specific categories and thumbnail previews. I owe a huge thank you to Katy Widrick for her incredible knowledge and ability to sort through the incredibly difficult coding that left me wanting to pull my hair out time and time again. (P.S. If you’re a very visual person, I try to pin all of my recipes and workouts to my Pinterest boards which is another great way to quickly locate everything!)

teal sea foam yeti tumbler

As a former Floridian, I remember seeing Yeti tumblers, coolers, bottles and koozies everywhere. My family quickly hopped on the Yeti bandwagon after my sister and brother-in-law gave my dad a Yeti tumbler for Christmas a couple of years ago and he absolutely raved about its abilities to keep his drinks cold during long days on the water spear fishing. I’ve been eyeing them for a while now but had not purchased one for myself and was surprised and excited to receive a 30-ounce sea foam-colored Yeti tumbler for Christmas from my parents.

Somm Documentary

Ryan and I have always enjoyed watching documentaries together and it had unfortunately been ages since we found one we really enjoyed on Netflix. That all changed this week when we watched Somm together! The documentary follows four candidates as they prepare to pass the extremely challenging Master Sommelier examination and let me just say that I had absolutely NO idea how difficult it is to become a Master Sommelier. Neither Ryan nor I know much about wine (we just drink what we like and don’t worry about all nuances of wine) and we still found this documentary really interesting.

Also, if you guys have any quality Netflix documentary recommendations, I’d love to hear them!

• Barnes & Noble On A Rainy Day

Barnes & Nobel Train Set

I’ve always loved the ambiance of a bookstore but didn’t think to bring Chase to Barnes & Noble for “playtime” until I happened to catch a glimpse of other moms and their kiddos in the kids’ section of the store a couple of weeks ago. Since the beginning of this week in Charlotte was rainy and freezing, some of my girlfriends and I were on the lookout for indoor activities and Barnes & Noble ended up being a slam dunk! Chase LOVED the train set in the store and we had a great time and reading lots of new books together. I’m not sure if all Barnes & Noble stores have cool kid areas but I just wanted to share this here in case any one else out there is looking for a fun rainy day activity with their little ones.

Bend Soap

A bar of Bend Soap was a stocking stuffer gift from my sister (she gave a bar to everyone in my family) and it is so wonderfully moisturizing and nourishing. Made with fresh raw goat milk and all-natural ingredients (coconut oil, olive oil, red palm oil), the soap was created by a family in search of a natural soap to help with their son’s eczema. They now produce a myriad of products and use milk from the family’s goats and other natural ingredients to create everything from bar soap and lotion to  to and used goat milk to create a moisturizing soap. Ryan and I are both loving this soap so much! (The Bend Soap website has a lot more options but you can also order a four-pack of the oatmeal and honey soap we love on Amazon.)

• Friday Flashbacks

Easy Garlic Roasted Cabbage (A simple, Paleo/Whole30-friendly side dish! Leftovers taste great with a runny egg on top for breakfast!)

Easy Garlic Roasted Cabbage

30 Minute Treadmill Workout (This workout plays around with various speeds to hold your interest and help fight treadmill boredom. After a quick 5-minute walking warm up, it’s time to pick up the pace and incorporate some intervals into the mix!)

30 Minute Sweaty Treadmill Workout

Questions of the Day

• What is one thing that is making you smile this week?
  • Have you seen a great documentary on Netflix lately? Any recommendations?

Comments

1. Kim says

I know what you mean about having a great book waiting for you-can’t wait to jump into bed! I loved the one you are reading now, and thought I would suggest another title for the future. “Radio Girls,” by Sarah-Jane Stratford. I could barely put it down.

2. Kari says

Hi Julie,

Definitely watch Minimalism, 13th, or Valley Uprising on Netflix if you haven’t already. All of them are very entertaining and also educational.

Have a great weekend!

3. Rebecca says

I really enjoyed watching Fed Up, a documentary about sugar and its pervasiveness in our society. I also enjoyed Minimalism, for a look at the way people connect their happiness to the stuff they own. Both eye opening and engaging documentaries. Happy weekend!

4. Maggie Trunk says

The Allen Iverson documentary “Iverson” is great! I haven’t watched these yet but I also have Sneakerheadz, One in a Billion, At All Costs, and Hip-Hop Evolution on my Netflix list!

5. Laura says

Check out the Netflix documentary Cooked. It’s a 4 part series and really interesting viewpoints on where our traditional cooking habits started and the importance of them for various cultures. I also really liked Living on One Dollar. It stemmed from a college project and follows 4 guys spending a summer in Guatemala living on one dollar a day.

Hopefully you like them!

6. Kristin says

I eat up documentaries! Here are some of my faves that are streaming on Netflix:
    Finding Vivian Maier (definitely my favorite within the last 3 years)
    Fed Up (I second the person that mentioned it above!)
    Casting By (about casting directors in Hollywood–really interesting)
    The Seven Five (about corrupt cops in NYC)
    Dinosaur (about the discovery of Sue the Tyrannosaurus Rex. I cried at this. I cried about fossils. LOL)
    Buck (about the real life horse whisperer)

And, people have already mentioned this, but you can get knock off Yeti’s at Walmart (in the camping section) and they are exactly the same and SO much cheaper. Not only do they keep beverages cold, but I poured my coffee into mine this morning at 9:30am and I just finished it at noon and it was still warm!

Minimlaism and Dear Zacahary are two good netflix documetaries I’ve seen lately! Just a warning that Minimalism will make you want to clean out EVERYTHING and make a bunch of donations and Dear Zachary will make you want to hug Chase extra tight (it’s an emotional one!!).

I just got a yeti tumbler from work and I looooove it!! Keeps tea hot for SO LONG! Also my current favorite documentary is Minimalism (I think there’s a sub title but I forget) on Netflix. I love the minimalists’ website and podcast and their documentary is great! But watch out, you’ll want to get rid of everything you own after watching it, haha.

Oh poor Chase! Ear infections are the worst. Jackson just got diagnosed with double ear infections on Tuesday after being slightly off from his normal happy-go-lucky self. Our pediatrician recommended taking Culturelle Kids probiotic once a day to help fight off the infection and keep him feeling better. So far it’s working like a charm! And it’s on sale at Target right so win-win! Have a great weekend and hope the little guy feels better! <3

10. Bron says

Ear infections are the worst! My now 4 year old never got one but my 10 month old had one at 7 months or so and it knocked him for six. Thankfully the antibiotics worked pretty swiftly so I hope that’s the case for Chase too and he’s back to himself soon. Since then I have been super sensitive to any ear tugs etc ( which is silly as that’s one of his tired signs too!) good luck!

Hi Julie!

I am a new PBF reader and I am loving your posts. I LOVE the idea of ‘things I am loving Friday” – I now look forward to these! I also happened to do one of your 30 minute treadmill workouts last night and it was awesome.

Actually, the new gym I joined is my fun happening this week. Though our old gym was only 15 minutes away, this added a half hour of drive time to my early morning workouts- thus many early morning workouts didn’t happen. We joined a new place less than 5 minutes from us (and it’s cheaper ;). Lots of great trainers and new equipment keeping me motivated.

We have not watched any documentaries on Netflix but hubs and I recently started (and blew through) a couple seasons of the show ‘Longmire’ on Netflix. It’s about a Sheriff in Wyoming and it’s intense! I thought this was going to be one I wouldn’t like but now I am hooked.

Have a great weekend!

12. Melissa says

The documentary Mitt on Netflix is really awesome, no matter your political views because it shows what it takes to even run for the highest office in the country. Highly recommend!

13. Lisa says

I hope Chase gets to feeing better! We have snow coming and I am sure he and Sadie want to play! (I’m in Mooresville) Love new soaps- I’ll have to try this one.

14. Ashley says

I’m not sure if anyone else mentioned it but Sour Grapes and Some in the bottle are great! My husband is a netflix documentary junkie.

You may have already seen it but great for some fitness inspiration- The Barkley Marathons (you don’t have to enjoy running to appreciate it). Also, if you like fashion- The First Monday in May (about the annual Met Gala and all the behind the scenes work)- prob not for Ryan haha 😉

16. Stephanie says

We live close to Bend. I’ve never heard of that soap. I’m a home school mom of 3, I think we will go take a tour and buy some soap!!

17. Fiona MacDonald says

Hang in there mama! We just got over our first ear infection and man the cuddles are great but the fever and sickness is NOT …hope Chase feels better soon! I feel like your favourites this week are mine! Everyone I know has been talking about the Yeti mug after I complained about reheating my coffee due to a crazy toddler! I Think I need to go out and grab one! And we went to our Canadian Barnes and Nobles this morning for a little kid time, how fun is it, and free! Plus mama got some starbucks so we were all happy!

Happy weekend and sending healthy love and hugs!