Growing up in Palatine, Illinois, our winters were freezing. Christmas morning was always cold and temperatures stayed that way long into March if not April. But when your family’s favorite dessert is ice cream, that doesn’t stop you from digging into the frozen treat year-round.
I have many wonderful memories that center around sitting at our kitchen table, bundled up in my pajamas, slippers and cozy robe with a big bowl of ice cream in front of me. And during the holiday season, that ice cream was most likely peppermint ice cream peppered with crushed Oreo cookies.
This Oreo Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert is another one of my family’s holiday favorites. It’s cold and creamy and pairs perfectly with a warm mug of hot chocolate. And the best part? It’s so easy to make. We’re talking 10 minutes or less and only three ingredients: Peppermint ice cream, Oreos and butter. If those three ingredients immediately make you begin salivating, you’re in for a treat!
My mom made this dessert for our family over Thanksgiving and it disappeared faster than all of the usual holiday pies. It’s nothing fancy but it is a crowd pleaser in our house and one that everyone cannot resist reaching for the minute it’s placed on the table after dinner.
Now that we have little ones running around in our house, I also cannot help but appreciate this dessert for another reason. It’s a great one to have children help prepare because it involves crushing cookies. Chase had a ball smacking a freezer bag of Oreo cookies with the back of a spoon when he helped me make this recipe to photograph for the blog. He also loved sneaking bites of the crushed cookies but, then again, I did, too. No shame.
Oreo Peppermint Ice Cream DessertPrint
Sweet, cold and creamy, this Oreo Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert is a family favorite made with crushed Oreo cookies and peppermint ice cream.
- 1 half-gallon peppermint ice cream
- 1 14.3-ounce package Oreos
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Optional toppings: Whipped cream, additional crushed Oreos, crushed candy canes
- Remove peppermint ice cream from the freezer and allow it to soften slightly. (Note: Do not forget about the ice cream and let it melt. You simply want it soft enough for you to scoop out so you can use a spatula to spread it across a cookie crumb crust. If it melts too much you risk the dreaded freezer burn!)
- While your ice cream is softening, place Oreo cookies into a zip-top freezer bag and crush. Remove approximately 1/4 of the crushed cookies and reserve in a small bowl. Crush the remaining cookies further, as these cookie crumbs will be forming your cookie crust and huge chunks make it a little more challenging for the crust to stay together.
- Pour the remaining 3/4 crushed Oreos into a bowl and mix with the melted butter. Spread evenly on the bottom of an 8×8 pan, forming a cookie crust.
- Spread the softened peppermint ice cream on top of the cookie crust and top with remaining crushed Oreos. (You may have a little bit of ice cream leftover, depending on how high you want your dessert to be in your pan.)
- Cover and place dessert into the freezer and freeze until solid. It’s best to give the dessert plenty of time to re-freeze so both the crust and ice cream can harden. Prepping this dessert the day before or the morning of the day you wish to eat it for dessert is best!
- Top with whipped cream, additional crushed Oreos or crushed candy canes and enjoy!
Keywords: holiday recipes, Oreo ice cream dessert, peppermint Oreo ice cream dessert