How to Curl Your Hair with a Straightener: Video

Woohoo!

I finally got around to creating the video tutorial I promised you guys months (maybe a year?) ago on how to curl your hair with a straightener!

I never use a curling iron when curling my hair because I prefer the look of looser waves and honestly find that the curls stay for much longer when I use a straightener.

Sooo, without further ado, here is my first totally dorky how-to video!

Okay you can stop laughing at me now…

πŸ˜€

If any of you guys try this out, let me know how it goes!

It looked really easy when I first watched someone do it, but for some reason it took me quite a few (hundred) tries before really getting the hang of it. You’re likely much more hair savvy than I am, so I’m sure you’ll be a pro in no time!

Happy curling!

Comments

I don’t have a curling iron or a straightener. 99% of the time my hair is in a ponytail, because it is easy and that is about the limit of my hair talents!

I love how-to vids. They make me feel like I’ve learned something. πŸ™‚

I’ve watched some videos on how to curl my hair and tried a few or rather a lot of times, though most time I failed, but the “curling the hair around the straightener and then turning the straightener around” sounds like it could really work. I’m gonna try this out. Thanks for making this nice little video.

Oh my gosh! You’re super cute!
    I am so going to try this.
    I had no idea, I tried it the other day just messing around, but it definitely did not work!
    I’m so excited, thanks for posting this!

Thank you for the video.. I’ve tried a few ways before, but haven’t been too successful. I appreciate your tips. By the way, I totally pictured your voice and actions a different way (not in a good or bad way, just different). It’s funny to me how many readers (including myself) sort of create a blog voice in our heads for the blogs that we read. Maybe next year I’ll get to the healthy living summit and get to meet a lot of the bloggers and actually hear their real voices! ah ha!

5. Holly says

You are great! Love your blog and your recipes! I read you and Skinny Runner everyday! I have been curling my hair with a CHI for a long time and do it completely different! I will have to try your way today and see how it goes! To save time, I sometimes put the top half of my hair in hot rollers and do the rest with the CHI. Helps get a little more volume on the top and I can always go over it with the CHI to get tighter curls.

Thanks for the video!

That is not what I imagined your voice to sound like at all! Hilarious.
    I wish I had longer hair to try this little trick! Chi’s are AMAZING. If mine ever kicks the bucket I’m shaving my head.

Thanks for the video Julie! I am going to try that today…I have a CHI but for some reason whenever I curl my hair with a curling iron it NEVER stays no matter how much hair spray I use….I think we have similar super thin and straight hair so I’m excited to see it works for you…gives me hope!

This is the only way i’ve ever curled my hair as well. And I agree it takes a good few hundred times to perfect it..in fact i’m still working on it. πŸ™‚ Fun to see you live. Hope you are enjoying your trip!

9. Alison says

Hey Jules!~
    I love the video! Watching a video of you as opposed to just reading your blog makes you seem more “real” and like I know you better! lol The curling tutorial is definitely a great “how-to” video for you. Can’t wait to see more!
    ~*Ali*~

Loved this- I seriously wondered how you always get your hair in those perfect/ wavy curls- it always looks so good πŸ˜€
    Definitely going to try this this week!!
    Thanks for the video Julie- you rock!

11. Laura says

Super cute….unfortunately because my hair was so fine I decided it was best to get a short cut for volume sakes lol So no curling for me but it was a cute video πŸ™‚

Nooo, not dorky at all! I loved it. I’ve tried to YouTube other straightener-curling videos and ended up being confused, burnt, and cranky. So yours was really easy, straightforward, and will hopefully lead to curling success. I’m going to try it out after I shower! πŸ™‚

Have fun on your POM adventure.

13. Jaime says

I was expecting your voice to be a bit higher and purkier. Ha! Don’t worry I was dissapointed or anything. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the hair tip….I think I might try it on my flat, fine and unstylish hair!

14. Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Knit, Run says

You are so. totally. cute!
    I do this when I decide to give my hair a little bit of extra body curls too!

15. Hayley says

Contrary to some of the other comments, you sound exactly as I thought you would! And the tutorial worked – I tried it this morn and success! The wrapping the hair around the iron is key. I had tried it a long time ago and just did the 360 turn of the flatiron with no luck. Thanks girl : )

You should do these more often!!! It is so refreshing and much more personal to see you live! I am absolutely obsessed with your blog!! I am trying to get my own blog going but it is so hard to make time to post and take pictures! I e-mailed you but I am sure you are swamped with them everyday!

I have watched so many videos on how to do this but I still kind of suck at it! I’m going to try your method and I’ll let you know how it goes! Maybe I’ll post a video on my blog of me burning my fingers and ending up with kinked flat curls!

Your voice is different than I expected too! You’re great on video! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I have a Chi and have always wondered how someone could curl their hair with a flat iron!

19. Caroline says

I love videos that let me see a blogger’s actual personality and mannerisms!
    You actually inspired me to look up youtube videos for how to do this and I think I finally got it last night on my third attempt, when I was almost done with my hair and my husband was rushing me out the door (of course!). The key seems to really be to twist the hair around the iron. The first time I tried my hair wasn’t quite long enough for me to do that without burning myself. I also have a cheap-o straightener that seems to work well (especially with hairspray help) but I just use smaller bunches of hair.
    Those are my discoveries anyway!

20. Tammy says

This is a great idea. I never knew that this could be done. I straighten my hair just about everyday – now I can straighten – with a twist.. πŸ™‚

You are too cute! And you rock for doing that! I have never been able to figure that out before, I can’t wait to try! I am a new blog reader and I am just lovin’ your blog!!

22. Colleen says

Great tutorial! You should do more videos! My roommate used to curl my hair with a straightener for me in college but I’ve never tried it myself. You totally inspired me to though!

Loved the tutorial, Julie!! I’m definitely going to have to try. I have naturally curly hair, but every now and then I straighten it. I’m so used to lots of volume, and I hate it when it just lays limp. Hopefully your curls will do the trick.

you’re so flippin’ cute! I totally agree that you sound different than I expected! How funny that I create voices in my head of what I think bloggers sound like πŸ™‚
    Maybe I’ll do a vlog and see if I’m what people expected or not- how fun!

Thanks for the tutorial!! Couldn’t be easier! I have very thick hair and it really took the curl – I had to brush it out quite a bit because I got WAY too much curl. My 6 y/o has really fine hair so I’m going to try it out on her before school today. She’s SO excited! Thanks for the vid.

26. Callie says

I just tried this and it worked great! I’ve tried a ton of times before and never could get the hang of it, thanks for the video! πŸ™‚

27. Allison says

Thanks for posting this! I have super thin hair and I like to curl it to give it some volume. This was so quick and easy with my CHI straightener! It looks even better than when I curl my hair with a curing iron.

P.S. I am a new reader, and I LOVE your blog :). Your posts are always so fun to read. I especially love checking out all the yummy treats and recipes!

28. Brett says

So I know this post is really old, which makes this a bit random, buuuttt I wanted to say thank you for posting this. Your hair always looks amazing so it was nice to get the how-to. I’ve tried, very unsuccessfully, to learn this technique with several other videos & ended up with kinked hair & burnt hands! I remembered you had posted this a while back & decided to give it a go, and whattdaya know- got it on the first try with minimal burnage. haha. Anyway, thanks! πŸ™‚

29. Lindsey says

30. Lindsey says

Heyyyyy im 12 years old and omg ur soooooo pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im totally gonna try this for school, since i normally straighten my hair it’l be a lil different!!!! ill let ya know how it turns out! btw i have the same flat iron but whtevs thanks!!!!!!

31. Lindsey says

when i tried this only 20% of the time it worked and crimped my hair when i held it before i flipped it maybe i did it too hot? or my flat irons sorta old? imma gonna buy some new heat protectant this weekend to c if that makes a difference…wish me luck!
    πŸ™‚

32. Kari says

Hi, I like the look but if my hair is kind of thicker do you think it’ll work? And do you straighten it all the way before you start the curling process? I dont want to damage it too much!

33. Lori says

Thanks for the video! I stumbled on it yesterday and thought I’d give it a try. I have been curling my hair with my straightener for a long time but I didn’t know how much it helps to wrap the hair around the straightener. My curls are much more bouncy today! Thanks! πŸ™‚

34. Lea says

Hi there! I’ve found your blog through Skinnyrunner and love your posts but I’ve never commented before πŸ™‚ I just HAD to after seeing this video, though, because on the first try this method worked better than any other way I’ve tried to curl my hair before! Thank you thank you! haha

35. Tabitha says

Just watched this video and tried it. I have fine, limp, thin, flat hair. Ahhh-maziiiing! My hair CURLED, stayed all night, and I didn’t even use hair spray.

36. Shannon says

I’m going to try this tonight when I get home! I have some spare time to myself before guests arrive/the fiance gets home from work. I’m not a fan of curling iron curls so hopefully I can figure this out!! Thanks for the inspiration, Julie! PS- Also having a PBFingers inspired meal for dinner..turkey meatball hoagies! We’ve done them once and they’re already a household favorite!

37. Amanda says

I DID IT!!! I am totally like you, hair inept haha and I also have thin hair as welll… I got it after a couple tries so thanks for the video! Yay so excited

38. Emily says

Finally! A way around the “barrel-roll” curl look!

I started reading your blog a few weeks ago, and I love it! My boyfriend makes fun of me because I check back multiple times a day for your updates haha. I stumbled upon this tutorial a few days ago and finally got the patience to play around with my hair til I got it down!

Anyway, I have thick, naturally curly hair but sometimes I don’t like the kinky-curly-frizzy look, and want to have a curl that’s softer and lays nicely. This worked like a charm for me! Me and curling irons were not meant to be so using my CHI definitely made this an awesome trick πŸ™‚

39. Jordan says

I loved the video! I decided I would try curling my hair this past weekend. We were going out for my birthday and I wanted to do something different! I know you said it took you a couple times to get the hang of it, but I thought I would be able to do it, I mean how hard could it be?? Haha it was a complete disaster!! I ended up propping up my phone so I could watch the video while attempting to curl my hair! My FiancΓ© was watching me just cracking up as my chi started smoking I thought I was going to burn my hair off! Haha it was so awful! I’m going to try again when I have more time πŸ™‚

40. melissa says

just tried this, you are a genius!! thanks so much for this video! I have straight fine hair and my hair actually looks good curled and not limp!

41. Amanda says

I just tried this on NYE and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am hair styling-inept and even I could manage it haha. I have fine hair like you and this def makes it look thicker and more voluminous!

42. Marie says

Your hair looks awesome with curls! Do you happen to know how big your straightening iron is? I wanted to purchase one but didn’t know if i shoul get a 1″ or thinner? Thanks!

43. Looking for a new do says

Since you style your hair often do you have any tips for keeping it from getting damaged? And what is your typical hair care routine??
    Thanks! Love the site πŸ™‚

44. Jeannie says

Hi Julie
    my ques is the same as above ques 83.
    Do you use any heating protector product prior to blow drying and curling?
    and do you use any other products in your hair before drying? Before curling? After curling?

Thanks!! I tried this today and it worked great but my hair is so thin that a few hrs later the curls were coming out.
    Next time I will try hairspray after.

45. Corinna says

After attempting many times to curl my hair with a straightener, I stumbled across your tutorial and something just clicked!
    I have been a PBF devotee ever since πŸ™‚

Ditto to all the other readers, I have super fine hair and this is a nice change from the basic straight and long look, which is my go-to.

Thanks!!

46. Michele says

Hey Julie,
    I know this post is super old but I just discovered your blog and am in love with every thing you post! I’ve done a few of your workouts and made some granola…can’t wait to try more of your stuff! Any who, I curled my hair this way today and it came out awesome! My only question is if you get some weird flat iron marks at the beginning (top) of the curl? And if so, how do you get ride of them? Thanks!!!

47. megan says

I seriously wish I would have found your blog on Friday! I had a wedding to go to on Saturday and tried for an hour to curl my hair…I just went into the bathroom at a commercial break and have 5 beautiful curls in my hair in less than 2 minutes! Your blog is now pinned to my home window on my tablet and will be frequented very often! Thank you so much for this I am still blown away because my hair does not cooperate EVER!!!!