How to Curl Your Hair with a Straightener: Video

Woohoo!

I finally got around to creating the video tutorial I promised you guys months (maybe a year?) ago on how to curl your hair with a straightener!

I never use a curling iron when curling my hair because I prefer the look of looser waves and honestly find that the curls stay for much longer when I use a straightener.

Sooo, without further ado, here is my first totally dorky how-to video!

Okay you can stop laughing at me now…

:D

If any of you guys try this out, let me know how it goes!

It looked really easy when I first watched someone do it, but for some reason it took me quite a few (hundred) tries before really getting the hang of it. You’re likely much more hair savvy than I am, so I’m sure you’ll be a pro in no time!

Happy curling!

Comments

You are too cute! And you rock for doing that! I have never been able to figure that out before, I can’t wait to try! I am a new blog reader and I am just lovin’ your blog!!

2. Colleen says

Great tutorial! You should do more videos! My roommate used to curl my hair with a straightener for me in college but I’ve never tried it myself. You totally inspired me to though!

Loved the tutorial, Julie!! I’m definitely going to have to try. I have naturally curly hair, but every now and then I straighten it. I’m so used to lots of volume, and I hate it when it just lays limp. Hopefully your curls will do the trick.

Thanks for the tutorial!! Couldn’t be easier! I have very thick hair and it really took the curl – I had to brush it out quite a bit because I got WAY too much curl. My 6 y/o has really fine hair so I’m going to try it out on her before school today. She’s SO excited! Thanks for the vid.

5. Allison says

Thanks for posting this! I have super thin hair and I like to curl it to give it some volume. This was so quick and easy with my CHI straightener! It looks even better than when I curl my hair with a curing iron.

P.S. I am a new reader, and I LOVE your blog :) . Your posts are always so fun to read. I especially love checking out all the yummy treats and recipes!

6. Brett says

So I know this post is really old, which makes this a bit random, buuuttt I wanted to say thank you for posting this. Your hair always looks amazing so it was nice to get the how-to. I’ve tried, very unsuccessfully, to learn this technique with several other videos & ended up with kinked hair & burnt hands! I remembered you had posted this a while back & decided to give it a go, and whattdaya know- got it on the first try with minimal burnage. haha. Anyway, thanks! :)

7. Lindsey says

8. Lindsey says

Heyyyyy im 12 years old and omg ur soooooo pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im totally gonna try this for school, since i normally straighten my hair it’l be a lil different!!!! ill let ya know how it turns out! btw i have the same flat iron but whtevs thanks!!!!!!

9. Lindsey says

when i tried this only 20% of the time it worked and crimped my hair when i held it before i flipped it maybe i did it too hot? or my flat irons sorta old? imma gonna buy some new heat protectant this weekend to c if that makes a difference…wish me luck!

10. Kari says

Hi, I like the look but if my hair is kind of thicker do you think it’ll work? And do you straighten it all the way before you start the curling process? I dont want to damage it too much!

11. Lori says

Thanks for the video! I stumbled on it yesterday and thought I’d give it a try. I have been curling my hair with my straightener for a long time but I didn’t know how much it helps to wrap the hair around the straightener. My curls are much more bouncy today! Thanks! :)

12. Lea says

Hi there! I’ve found your blog through Skinnyrunner and love your posts but I’ve never commented before :) I just HAD to after seeing this video, though, because on the first try this method worked better than any other way I’ve tried to curl my hair before! Thank you thank you! haha

13. Tabitha says

Just watched this video and tried it. I have fine, limp, thin, flat hair. Ahhh-maziiiing! My hair CURLED, stayed all night, and I didn’t even use hair spray.

14. Shannon says

I’m going to try this tonight when I get home! I have some spare time to myself before guests arrive/the fiance gets home from work. I’m not a fan of curling iron curls so hopefully I can figure this out!! Thanks for the inspiration, Julie! PS- Also having a PBFingers inspired meal for dinner..turkey meatball hoagies! We’ve done them once and they’re already a household favorite!

15. Amanda says

I DID IT!!! I am totally like you, hair inept haha and I also have thin hair as welll… I got it after a couple tries so thanks for the video! Yay so excited

16. Emily says

Finally! A way around the “barrel-roll” curl look!

I started reading your blog a few weeks ago, and I love it! My boyfriend makes fun of me because I check back multiple times a day for your updates haha. I stumbled upon this tutorial a few days ago and finally got the patience to play around with my hair til I got it down!

Anyway, I have thick, naturally curly hair but sometimes I don’t like the kinky-curly-frizzy look, and want to have a curl that’s softer and lays nicely. This worked like a charm for me! Me and curling irons were not meant to be so using my CHI definitely made this an awesome trick :)

17. Jordan says

I loved the video! I decided I would try curling my hair this past weekend. We were going out for my birthday and I wanted to do something different! I know you said it took you a couple times to get the hang of it, but I thought I would be able to do it, I mean how hard could it be?? Haha it was a complete disaster!! I ended up propping up my phone so I could watch the video while attempting to curl my hair! My Fiancé was watching me just cracking up as my chi started smoking I thought I was going to burn my hair off! Haha it was so awful! I’m going to try again when I have more time :)

18. melissa says

just tried this, you are a genius!! thanks so much for this video! I have straight fine hair and my hair actually looks good curled and not limp!

19. Amanda says

I just tried this on NYE and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am hair styling-inept and even I could manage it haha. I have fine hair like you and this def makes it look thicker and more voluminous!

20. Marie says

Your hair looks awesome with curls! Do you happen to know how big your straightening iron is? I wanted to purchase one but didn’t know if i shoul get a 1″ or thinner? Thanks!

21. Looking for a new do says

Since you style your hair often do you have any tips for keeping it from getting damaged? And what is your typical hair care routine??
    Thanks! Love the site :)

22. Jeannie says

Hi Julie
    my ques is the same as above ques 83.
    Do you use any heating protector product prior to blow drying and curling?
    and do you use any other products in your hair before drying? Before curling? After curling?

Thanks!! I tried this today and it worked great but my hair is so thin that a few hrs later the curls were coming out.
    Next time I will try hairspray after.

23. Corinna says

After attempting many times to curl my hair with a straightener, I stumbled across your tutorial and something just clicked!
    I have been a PBF devotee ever since :)

Ditto to all the other readers, I have super fine hair and this is a nice change from the basic straight and long look, which is my go-to.

Thanks!!

24. Michele says

Hey Julie,
    I know this post is super old but I just discovered your blog and am in love with every thing you post! I’ve done a few of your workouts and made some granola…can’t wait to try more of your stuff! Any who, I curled my hair this way today and it came out awesome! My only question is if you get some weird flat iron marks at the beginning (top) of the curl? And if so, how do you get ride of them? Thanks!!!