Rutabaga Fries: Video Edition

This Sunday is going by quiiickly!

After church this morning, we came home and enjoyed an early lunch.

Last night I made vegetarian chili following this recipe from Rachael Ray to bring to my friend Merri’s house for dinner. For lunch, I combined leftover chili with the same sausage, onions and peppers we had this morning. chili 002To be honest, I found the chili a bit bland yesterday, but I think it picked up more flavor as it sat in the fridge over night. When combined with the peppers, onion and sausage, it was terrific. chili 004After lunch, I solicited Ryan’s help to film a lil’ tutorial for you guys on how to make these delicious rutabaga fries. 152

I only embarrass myself about five times in this video… success!

If you are unable to see the video above, you may click here to watch it on YouTube.

(Also, I say to roast the fries for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, but I ended up turning the heat up to 425 & leaving them in for 25 minutes. Just cook ‘em until they reach the level of doneness that you prefer.)

Happy fry-making!

Comments

1. Camille @ La Bella Vita says

Great Video! I have never tried Rutabaga fries, but I might be able to persuade the hubby to give them a go.

2. Sarra says

thanks for the lovely tutorial! you’re adorable and hilarious, “they’re prob good plain if you like bland things” hahahaha. i dont think ive ever tried or even seen a rutabaga in my life, and im dying to try them! does it taste like a potato at all?

ps. i think your hubby is scared of the “ryan fans”, that’s why he didnt wanna say hi :p

3. Lauren85 says

Loved the new video! I feel like I’m always asking about fashion (because I asked about your boots a few weeks ago!) but where did you get your dress?

4. Alicia says

I’ve never heard of a rutagargiahga. haha (clearly I don’t remember the word or how to spell it) Can’t wait to find them at the store!

5. Megan says

Hey Julie! I wanna try the parsnip fries I’ve seen you talk about before. Do you just roast them the same as the rutabagga ones??

6. Holly says

Please keep posting videos!! They are great! I have completely changed how I curl my hair with my CHI after your first video! I was always wondering how you do your parsnip/rutabagga fries. I would suggest putting down parchment paper on the baking sheet so its less messy, then drizzle olive oil over the fries and mix the oil around with your hands to cover the fries. Then you are using olive oil instead of cooking spray and you won’t have to dirty any dishes. Barefoot Contessa does this a lot with shrimp and veggies :)

Hahah to cute! I agree with Holly! Keep the videos comin!
    They look so good! what do they tast like ? Is it potatoey? is it strong, aquired taste?
    I really want to try those!

8. AshleyG says

Thank you for posting this video! Its always interesting to see the different things you can do with vegetables to make them more fun!

9. Alexandrina @ The Cardio Queen says

Love your outfit! So glad you showed what a rutabaga looked like because I honestly had no clue. Looks like I’ll be heading to the store to pick one up and make some fries!

Hey girl! Great video, thanks for sharing!
    Would you mind telling us how they taste? Do the taste the same as potato fries? If different, how so? Different texture?

I am just starting to turn vegetarian and would love to try this, so this info will help me decide if I should give it a go. Thanks!!

I hate dirtying a bunch of dishes too, that’s why I usually mix up whatever I’m roasting directly on the baking sheet. I can still use oil and seasonings without messing anything up unnecessarily.

I have never tried a rutabega before. I have tried parsnip fries and I hated them. I love parsnip raw, but when roasted it was WAY too sweet. I like savory fries I guess!

I am convinced that chili ALWAYS tastes better on the second day! Oh, I can’t wait to try the rutabaga fries! I just tried rutabagas last year for the first time and I absolutely love the natural sweetness they have!

13. Marie says

Love your videos! Ryan and you are so cute! :) I loved the part where he was getting too close and it made you laugh. I am definitely interested in trying the fries now! :)