Bread Pudding

While I absolutely love my life now, sometimes I want to take a month off of work and slip back into the good ol’ days… Days where my biggest worry was an AP history test (I got seriously worked up over those dang DBQs).

Back then, I knew that if I was really stressed out, I could curl up on the couch with my family to watch one of our favorite movies together (most likely Father of the Bride) and my worries would subside.

Running around with my family today reminded me of my childhood. It felt good to be together again!

Car Shopping

After lunch this afternoon, my family and I headed out to check out some cars at the Toyota dealership. My mom and dad are considering purchasing a new car and wanted to test drive some vehicles. bread pudding 002What we figured would be about and hour-long trip turned into a three hour adventure. It was definitely a high-pressure sales environment that really got to all of us by the end of the experience.

In one of my marketing classes at UCF, I think I remember learning that car salespeople have monthly quotas and at the end of the month you can get a good deal because they’re often desperate to sell. Boy-oh-boy did we feel the desperation.

The whole experience really tried our patience. In the end my mom (who would be the primary driver of the new car) decided she just isn’t ready to sell her beloved mini van just yet. Our trip wasn’t in vain though because she was able to rule out the Toyota Highlander as a potential option in the future.

Plus I got a cookie and a latte! bread pudding 003

bread pudding 004While over in Clearwater looking at cars, we met up with the photographer from our wedding, Gina, to pick up a box of prints of all of our wedding day photos from her.

I loved flipping through the amazing photographs and can’t wait to look at them in more detail with Ryan when he arrives home tomorrow. (Woo!!! I’ve missed him a lot.)

Gina is even using our wedding photos in her sample album to show future couples. It was neat to see which images she selected for her album. If you’re getting married in the St. Pete/ Tampa Bay area, I cannot recommend Gina enough. She’s amazing!

Bread Pudding

Once we arrived home after being out for several hours, I was hungry. It was still too early for dinner and my sweet tooth was running rampant, so I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen.

When I spied a loaf of Italian bread in the kitchen, I figured I would make my first attempt at homemade bread pudding. I searched around on the internet until I felt like I had a pretty decent handle on standard bread pudding recipes.

Then it was time to do a little experimenting!

I was really apprehensive about my creation because it seemed pretty soupy. I didn’t want to mess with it too much and threw it in the oven, crossing my fingers for a good result.

That whole “cross your fingers” business must work, because the end result was wonderful.

bread pudding 009My whole family loved it and we all agreed it had a custard-like flavor to it. bread pudding 006

bread pudding 010I ended up eating several bowls… a couple before dinner (we went out for sushi) and one small bowl after. I love how it tasted almost buttery without even a trace of butter in the whole recipe. Sweet deal!

Bread Pudding

(Serves approximately 16)

Ingredients

• 1 loaf Italian bread, torn into pieces (about 6 cups)
  • 2 c. skim milk
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 4 c. egg beaters (or 8 eggs)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 c. pecans, chopped
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spray a 13 x 9 in. baking dish with cooking spray. Throw bread pieces into dish.
  • Combine milk, sugar, egg beaters and vanilla in a bowl. Pour over bread pieces and let sit for 10 minutes.
  • Sprinkle pecans and brown sugar over top of the bread mixture, coating some of the pecans in the eggy liquid.
  • Bake for 50 minutes, or until pudding is set.

Now it’s time for bed. My eyelids are closing at I type…

Comments

1. Jessica says

Oh man I know how you feel! I do miss the easiness of high school and simplicity. I just wanted to tell you that the love you have for your family and life is really obvious and shows through in your posts. It is truly a gem to read about!

2. Angela says

I think about how easy it was being a teenager and all I had to worry about was school. Although at the time I was always thinking I couldn’t wait to be an adult and now that I am I always think about how great it would be to go back!

i LOVE car shopping.. looking at cars is somehow entertaining to me.. they also smell really good… fresh car smell.. YES!
    bread pudding looks WAY good- i have actually NEVER tried it!

Julie, that bread pudding looks awesome! I am going to have to give it a try! I know what it feels like to be missing your hubby…mine is going out of town this week for a business trip. I sure wish a had a cute little dog like Sadie to keep me company!

Ohhhh APUSH. My teacher for that class smelled SO BAD….like the worst BO you’ve ever smelled, clinging to all her clothes. And she did the baby powder instead of shampoo thing EVERY DAY, because there was always white stuff on her ears and forehead. So gross.

Glad you’re having a good time at home!! I miss high school when I’m stressed, too :/

• says

That’s so reassuring hearing that people miss high school when they’re stressed! Definitely makes me appreciate what an easy life I really do have if you think about it! Thanks!

I hate car shopping! Luckily the last time I bought a car, I went in knowing exactly what I wanted, and walked out with it as a great deal because it was the 31st.

Bread pudding looks delicious, I might have to try that recipe.

This looks amazing, Julie! I adore bread pudding but never make it because I am the only one in my house who will eat it :( I so know what you mean about DBQ’s, I’m a junior in High school and those things really do suck! Family certainly helps though, I couldn’t agree more:)

i LOVE bread pudding…it’s one of my absolute favorite desserts! i like this healthier version too…less guilt and more ice cream on top ;)

i know how you feel with wishing things were like the good ol’ days. life gets kind of hard sometimes, and it’s so great to know that you can go home and relax with people who love you and GET you :)

Ack, car salesmen…definitely would have tested my patience too. At least you got a cookie and some caffiene out of it ;)

I absolutely love spending time with my family as well, totally reminds you how truly blessed you are, you know? It’s just comforting :) So is that bread pudding! Yum!

Enjoy your day, Julie :)

I love bread pudding!!! I wouldn’t try it for the longest time because I don’t really like pudding and I thought it would taste like it. Bread Pudding is amazing!!!
    Yes, I remember the good old school days….we don’t know how good we had it!

OH my gracious that breadpudding looks soooo delicious!!! I have never thought to make that. I must try that ASAP!

Also!! I wanted to let you know that your Xmas tree ornament idea inspired me and my mom to try it out on our pups… and I just did a recap about how it went with our little Happy for my post on my blog today!

• Jessica says

its a document based question essay. you are given about 10 articles and they ask you a question that you write an essay to and use the documents to back up your points.

hope that helps!

• Jessica says

hope that helps!

Car shopping can be so stressful when you have to deal with annoying sales people. As fun as having a new car feels, it almost isn’t worth the hassle of it all! Father of the Bride also happens to be one of my very favorite movies too, by the way. I’d love a time out to stay home and watch all of my favorites…with some bread pudding. ;)

Car shopping can be such a pain. I remember when we were shopping for my car, I had to drag my dad out of the house kicking and screaming to go car shopping. We did most of it online so we knew exactly what we wanted before going to the lot. That way the salemen didn’t have much of a chance to haggle us.

Talking with car salesmen can be so brain boggling. I remember going through all of that before settling on my car, and it was definitely a headache. Although there’s definitely truth to shopping at the end of the month in order to get a bargain, that’s for sure. :D

I hate car shopping! The constant attention and questions always makes me nervous. But hey-if I got cookies and a latte out of it I probably would suffer through it!! lol

That bread pudding looks amazing!! One of my favorite desserts :D

I love that that bread pudding recipe looks so amazing, but so simple to make! This means there’s hope that I will try making it! Ha, that’s funny about your mother car shopping. My mom just recently gave up her beloved mini-van for the Highlander. It was a long struggle, but she finally decided it was time to let the car with 180,000+ miles rest.

we went car shopping on friday…and ended up getting a new-to-us durango! my husband & i have been sharing a car throughout our marriage and we had saved cash to buy a used car…we are so excited! i definitely agree w/ you on the end of the month thing. we got a good deal!

Oh geesh, I hate going in to car dealerships and furniture stores just for that reason. They are super pushy and follow you around like a lost puppy those salespeople!
    On an opposite note, that bread pudding looks super delicious! Since it serves 16, I hope you brought half the pan back home with ya!

Did you go to the Toyota in Clearwater, off 19?

OMG, we went there about a month ago and it was insane. We just pulled into the parking lot and the salesmen were like vultures. It was surreal. There were about 12 salesmen standing in the parking lot just waiting for some poor sucker to pull in. We just drove around the parking lot and when we pulled into a spot to check out the new Scion TC we could see a salesman hauling hiney towards us. We just left without actually looking at something. It was to hardcore for us, and we weren’t really looking to buy anything, just looking. Yikes!