Cucumber Salad and Hoisin Shrimp

Check out more blooming flowers!!!

hoisin shrimp 023

Hooray for warmer weather and evening walks that don’t require layers.

My post-work walks with Ryan and Sadie are one of my favorite parts of the day… Second only to walking into our bedroom after bushing my teeth at bedtime and seeing Ryan and Sadie all cuddled up together. It makes me melt.

Tonight our evening walk took us around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando.

hoisin shrimp 024

Everyone seems to be loving the more temperate weather because the path around the lake was swarming with runners, walkers, strollers and dogs.

After our walk, we headed home for dinner.

Dinner

Before we left on our walk, I prepped a cucumber salad so it had time to marinate for a bit while we were out and about.

hoisin shrimp 032

To make the salad, I changed up the ingredients for Real Simple’s cucumber salad a bit and combined the following:

• 1 extra large cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 yellow sweet onion, sliced
  • 4 1/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp. Stevia (Sugar will also work)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Chia seeds, for garnish

Letting it sit for about an hour was key! This gave the cucumber and onion time to absorb the delicious flavors of the vinegar dressing. Ryan and I both agreed that this salad was so light and fresh!

It was perfect served alongside broiled hoisin shrimp that we made by following this recipe from Real Simple (subbing chia seeds for the sesame seeds).

hoisin shrimp 029

hoisin shrimp 030

Real Simple recipes are right up my alley. They contain ingredients I always have on hand and come together in a flash. Plus, they taste pretty darn good!

Dessert

After dinner we enjoyed a delicious dessert that Ryan has raved about for years.

When my mom sent us a Valentine’s Day care package complete with a big bag of Red Hots, Ryan said we had to make his favorite cinnamon applesauce using the candies.

hoisin shrimp 039

When he was growing up, Ryan’s mom would simply combine applesauce with a handful of Red Hots, stir ‘em around and heat them up for about 50 seconds in the microwave.

hoisin shrimp 036

The result is a bowl of warm applesauce with a wonderful hint of cinnamon flavor.

hoisin shrimp 037

hoisin shrimp 038

So quick. So easy. So tasty!

And now it’s time to chill for the rest of the night. Enjoy your evening, friends!

Comments

1. Stephanie S says

So jealous of that fantastic weather! It is still freezing here in New York. Voted for you on the Womens Health Website! Good Luck :)

Interesting subbing chias for sesames… I wouldn’t have thought that would work.. I would think the chias would get mushy?!

That cinnamon apple recipe looks yum! Will have to give it a try sometime!
    Night!

Random….. but how long do you heat the apple sauce?? I’d find some way to burn it!

I want to move to Florida… it’s cold in Virginia and we are over a month away from Blooming flowers.

4. Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter says

Your life is so inspirational. I love how you take time to bond with Ryan and Sadie and enjoy the outdoors all at the same time :)

5. Ashley says

I made the cucumber salad…so fresh and tasty! I made a huge batch to use as a topping for my daily lunch salads. The flavors are so nice I won’t need dressing. Thanks for the recipe!

Woman! I just love looking at all your warm sunny pictures of Florida….I am definitely living vicariously through you, because the cold snow in Seattle right now is just awful! Love checking in on your life every day! xoxo

7. Kelly says

That dessert is so creative…I never would have thought of that! But one question…is the end result really hot applesauce? Just asking b/c I would totally try this but I really can’t handle spicy food

8. Ryan @ Aloha Appetite says

The shrimp looks delicious. And so does the applesauce… totally something I never would have thought of!

That shrimp looks amaaaazing!!!!!
    We do the same thing with red hots….also if you heat up some apple juice, add cinnamon, and red hots, you have a sort-of apple cider!

That shrimp looks so amazing! Seafood never comes out that way I want it to when I cook it at home but I might have to give it try for those! I’m going to admit I was weirded ot at first because I thought you were just going to eat the applesauce with the crunchy red hots, what you actually did sounds way better=)

I’ve never heard of Red Hots applesauce before. I’ll be sure to put that on my to try list. But i wanted to stop by and say thank you for the soooo super simple donut hole how-to (from a couple weeks ago). I made it this weekend for my family and wow, what I hit! I only got to try like two of them because by time I finished cooking them all everyone ate the rest x-( ha! success =)