Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata

First things first, are you ready for some jammin’ workout music? As promised, here is my latest workout playlist. Like always, it’s full of upbeat, fun and totally girly music.

That’s just how I roll. Winking smile

Thank you so much to those of you who recommended some of the above songs on the PBF Facebook page!

Dinner

Tonight’s dinner was pretty in depth! I figured that by making a frittata, dinner would be ready in a flash. I guess I didn’t take into account all the steps that go into making this eggy dish.

First, there’s chopping vegetables. (Poor Ryan cut his finger slicing an onion.) Then there’s blanching kale. Then boiling sweet potatoes. Then sautéing vegetables. Then, finally, baking the frittata.

IMG_6344

Sautéing the kale, onion, mushrooms and garlic made our apartment smell fantastic!

IMG_6347

After finally getting all the veggies into the skillet, it was time to add the eggs and place the whole mixture in the oven to solidify.

Within 10 minutes of placing the frittata in the oven, dinner was ready!

IMG_6348

IMG_6351

Between the two of us, Ryan and I polished off the frittata and both went back for seconds.

IMG_6352

IMG_6358

We both agreed that all the effort was worth it. This frittata was seriously so, so good. I think it would be great for breakfast or brunch as well.

Time to watch the last hour of The Bachelor! If Brad says “My God” one more time, I may throw something at our television.

See ya in the morning, friends!

Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata (adapted from Shape.com)

Serves 4 (or 2 really hungry people)

Ingredients:

• 1 yellow, chopped
  • 10 oz. kale, trimmed, blanched 3 minutes in boiling water, drained, squeezed and coarsely chopped
  • 1 large sweet potato, chopped and boiled
  • 3/4 c. chopped portobello mushrooms
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

• Heat oven to 400°.
  • In a medium cast-iron skillet coated with cooking spray, cook yellow onion over medium heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Add kale, garlic and mushroom; stir 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes.
  • Whisk eggs, egg whites, 2 tbsp. water and paprika in a bowl; stir into kale-potato mixture. Cook over medium-low heat 1 minute.
  • Transfer skillet to oven; bake until eggs are set and center is slightly runny, 8 – 10 minutes. Broil until top is golden, 1 minute.

Comments

• says

AH I KNOW! He freaked out over the first person who actually challenged him! Ryan was like “Oh no, Emily said something that threw off Brad’s perfectly planned speech. What will his little brain DO!?”

• says

hahahaha! He totally has this whole speech for Chantel planned and practiced as well…and can he not say he has stronger feelings for “somebody else”?! Obviously she knows it’s Emily!

Another line that I’ve noticed that Brad says ALL the time is “I really do.” Like if he likes something, he’ll say: “I like it, I really do.” or “I had a great time, I really did.” or “Emily is an amazing woman, she really is.” It’s starting to annoy me a lot.

Anyway, your frittata looks delicious!

Also, if you like girly upbeat you should try Hoku – Prefect Day (from the Legally Blonde soundtrack). One of my fav upbeat workout songs, you may already know it!!!!

2. elysie says

Hey Julie – this is totally off topic, but I just wanted to send you a compliment on your blog! I think you have the most visually appealing blog I’ve seen. It’s easy to navigate and fun to read. Plus, you always mention wanting to improve your photography skills, but your pictures are hands down the best I’ve seen on any blog I visit. The color is always vibrant, you have a nice mix of pictures of food, yourself and Ryan and Sadie and other fun things.
    Just wanted to let you know that I’ve always been impressed with this site! Plus, I love the regularity that you post. I could plan my weekdays by your updates!

Sounds like an excellent playlist! I would also recommend “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele. Actually, I would just recommend Adele’s entire new album “21.” It’s fantastic!

4. Jessica says

OMG Ryan- so robotic! I totally agree!

And I am so glad you picked up All I Ever Wanted. I suggested it on fb and was hoping you would get it. One of my all time favorite pump up songs. It is great for running and spin classes! I took your suggestion of Now You’re Gone by them and I love it!
    Thanks!

5. Lindsay@Brownies For Brunch says

Hahahaha….I was thinking the same thing….”My god, Brad, think of a new exclamatory!”

Looks tasty, but I always have to cook kale for a while to get rid of the bitter taste, at least 30 minutes or so. Did the kale retain the bitter flavor or was it cooked out by cooking in the oven?

7. Carole says

The frittata looks really yummy! Just trying to figure out the “yellow” in your ingredient list–must be onion, right? Can’t wait to try it!

8. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says

I’ve never made a frittata, but this makes me want to! Love all the veggies. YUM!

I live for sweet potatoes and eggs (and peanut butter and oats for that matter) so I will definetely be giving this a try! I may have to sub out the kale for spinach due to lack of availability of kale in Mumbai!

I LOVE that you put a song from Legally Blonde The Musical! I absolutely love the soundtrack! It is such a good show!

I’ve never had a frittata before! This one has every ingredient that I really like. I love kale!

hahah! I agree about Brad! Please give me an AMEN that the whole crew overuses the word “connection” one too many times! haha a lot of the things they keep saying as people is kinda irritating ;)

12. Amelia says

I’m so excited you included Mr. Vain! Such great memories attached to it. Guess what’s going on my playlist tonight?!! ;) Oh, and that frittata looks AMAZING! If I didn’t have leftovers tonight (although they’re pretty darn good – soy-glazed fish, roasted sweet potatoes and a healthy side of kale chips), I’d be frittating it all up!

13. Liza says

Yay for “Yeah 3X” by Chris Brown!! We’re using that as our “entrance” song at our wedding reception because I’m totally convinced that no one can hear it without wanting to fist pump (with both fists at the same time, might I add.)

Also, I would like to recommend that you download “Who Dat Girl” by Flo Rida for your workout playlist – it is a teeeensy bit ghetto, but is the perfect tempo for going warp speed on the elliptical! :)

14. Hawaiiangirl says

I LOVE the new playlist! And the frittata looks ono!! Gonna hit up the farmer’s market in Kapaa this week and try to make this for me and the hubster. Thanks for sharing :)

You have Shai on your playlist? haha. I thought I was the only one! My husband Ryan and I had “a song” when we were 13…Baby I’m Yours by Shai. I mention it in my blog under “Our Story” :)