Mary-Kate and Ashley Motivation

Running. I don’t hate it. I don’t love it. But sometimes it’s exactly what I need. For me, I can do intervals on the treadmill, take a spinning, BodyPump or boot camp class that totally kicks my butt, but nothing beats the feeling of a good run.

As you may have ascertained, this morning’s run was a good one.

I awoke ready to head to the gym but the simple thought of being inside plugging away on cardio equipment for nearly an hour made me feel instantly bored. I knew I wanted to take my workout outside and Sadie’s enthusiasm showed me that she would be more than happy to join me for a run.

I leashed her up, strapped on my Garmin and selected “shuffle” on my iPod and was off!

I instantly felt quick. When I’m not running in a race and simply running outside for pleasure, my pace typically falls between 9:30 and 9:45-minute miles. After completing 5-miles, I checked my Garmin and saw that I averaged 9:04 on this morning’s run. Apparently I was just feelin’ it this morning!

The weather was a perfect 70 degrees and there were a bunch of other runners and walkers out and about. While running, my iPod seemed to randomly select the perfect songs during my run which was a treat.

And yes, “Yakety Yak” by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen was one of the songs.

mary%20kate%20ashley%20olsen%20young%20in%20chair%20cute

My sister and I were obsessed with Mary-Kate and Ashley when we were younger. We loved all of their straight-to-VHS movies (no DVDs yet) and had cassette tapes of all of their songs.

We’d even make up performances that included dances and our own rendition of MK & A songs for my mom and dad (think “I am the Cute One”). My poor parents.

With “Yakety Yak” officially stuck in my head, I headed into the kitchen after washing my face and attempting to cool down a bit.

I figured another great way to cool myself down from this morning’s run would be to sip on a cold smoothie.

In the mix:

• 1 c. frozen strawberries
  • 1 container Chobani strawberry banana Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 scoop strawberry banana protein powder (from the Gold Standard variety pack)
  • 2 pinches xanthan gum

It was berry good. Winking smile

I enjoyed it with a spoon out of one of my favorite mugs! Ryan and I received these Anthropologie mugs with our respective initials on them at my bridal shower. We keep them on display in our kitchen, so this was my first time actually using mine!

Now Ryan and I are off to run some errands before hopefully spending some time in the sun before out fancy schmancy black tie event tonight.

See ya for lunch!

Comments

1. Jazmine @ Gracefully Glutenless says

omg! somebody might’ve already said this, but i always sing “ice cream baby!”

2. Caroline says

I have never ever heard anyone mention their cassettes before! I loved “performing” their songs in my bedroom. I spent many an afternoon singing and making up dance moves! There was also a solid two years where my favorite movie was “How the West Was Fun.” Goooood times, haha! Thanks for the flashback!

3. Michelle says

My sisters and I were obsessed with them too when we were growing up. I am a twin, and my sister’s name is Ashley, so we alway felt like we had a secret bond with them:)
    I feel the same way about running. I love it but I am not necessarily good at it. I love those runs where you feel speedy!

4. Bethany says

When I was little, I LOVED spending the night at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Why? Because it always involved a trip to Blockbuster and a Mary Kate & Ashley movie. SO great. We would always get their first movie, and I’m pretty sure I still have most of those songs memorized. Good times, good times.

oh wow, i used to watch all the mary kate and ashley movies too!
    I also remember having a tape with “brother for sale” on it, i used to sing that all the time! what were they like 5 when they sang that haha

6. Alison says

I used to love MK&A (and still enjoy some of their movies)! My favorites were “The Adventures” series, “You’re Invited” series, and Passport to Paris. That’s awesome you ran to one of their songs…you have to admit they’re pretty catchy! ;)

I have that mug too! My best friend (whose name is Mary-Cate) and I were just discussing their “My First Movie” the other day. The peanut butter song always being stuck in my head when I was younger should have been a sign.

OMG…I found this post and had to comment even though it was written over a month ago… me and my lil sis loved loved loved mary-kate and ashley olsen… so dorky but true.. we watched them on repeat bc we lived overseas and couldn’t understand the Italian cartoons.. lol

My sister and I were obsessed with MK and A too! We had every movie and watched them over and over agin. I might have watched “New York Minute” a couple of weeks ago….I might still be obsessed with them.

10. Marissa says

I can run a mile in 10 minutes and then I’m walking lol I hope to reach 5 miles without stopping by the end of the summer. Thanks for being inspiring!!