Cardio Circuit Workout

Ryan and I both awoke in quite the chatty mood. We began our workouts with 20 minutes of side-by-side cardio while we talked away. I love that Ryan is now integrating cardio into his daily workouts. It makes the first 20 minutes of my workouts a lot more fun!

After 20 minutes on the elliptical, I headed into the gymnasium to complete a cardio circuit workout.

IMG_1284

I’m not sure if you can tell in the above picture, but I’m wearing a neon green sports bra and bright red running shorts. I told Ryan I felt as though I looked like hyperactive Christmas in this getup. (Also, this gym wear is updated on the Fashion page since I’ve had some requests for workout attire posts!)

Once I entered the gymnasium, I was thrilled to see that it was deserted. Since no one was there, I queued up my phone to blast the Lady Gaga station on Pandora to help power me through my workout.

IMG_1289

(I think it’s time for me to wash my mini gym bag, huh?)

I based my circuit off of my favorite circuit workout, but added additional sets of jump roping into the mix.

IMG_1290

In the end my workout looked like this:

• 50 jumping jacks
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 20 alternating lunges
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 10 tuck jumps
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 20 squats with 15 lb. dumbbell
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 60 sec. high knees
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 10 jump squats
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 10 burpees (I hate these!)
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 60 jumping jacks
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 20 sec. mountain climbers
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 25 push ups (girly style)
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 60 sec. plank

It was awesome and took me about 15 minutes to complete, though I rested a little longer in between sets than I would’ve liked because I kept getting crampy. I think I chugged way too much water during my time on the elliptical and it made me cramp up. Not so fun!

Had I not been crampy, I would have done one more set of this circuit and called it a day. I think doing this circuit two or three times through would be a fantastic workout!

After finishing the cardio circuit, I completed 15 minutes of easy running/incline walking on the treadmill while waiting for Ryan to finish his workout.

After the gym and Sadie’s usual morning walk, it was breakfast time!

IMG_1302

I’ve seen Kath post about her dough boy smoothies over the past couple of weeks and have wanted to try my hands at her creation for a while now.

Last night I combined the following in the blender:

• 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
  • 3/4 c. almond milk
  • 2 tbsp. chocolate PB2
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds

Then, this morning I added:

• 1/4 c. almond milk
  • 3/4 c. frozen strawberries

After blending away, this little beauty awaited me:

IMG_1299

IMG_1297

Lovin’ all the pink!

IMG_1301

Though I had no problem demolishing this entire bowl, I would make some changes next time, like using a frozen banana rather than strawberries because the frozen strawberries made the concoction a bit icy rather than super creamy. I might also add a scoop of vanilla Greek yogurt to give this meal a little more staying power.

Time to rinse out my bowl and head to work.

Two more days ‘til the weekend, people! Smile Two more days.

Comments

1. Ally@GirlVFood says

Oh my GOSH. I thought I was the only one who got waterlogged cramps! My legs get so heavy when I drink too much water and don’t sweat enough. It’s so brutal!

Yayyyyyyyy I’m such a dork, but I love that you’re featuring your workout clothes now on the fashion page! I always get sucked into the work-out gear whenever I go into Target. And that’s so fun that you had the whole gym to yourself for the most part! If i were to p;ay music off of my phone on speakers, the battery would drain soooo fast! How do you make yours last?!

• says

i’m not sure what kind of phone you have, but i have a droid and downloaded the “advanced task killer” ap. it lets you “kill” all unnecessary programs running on your phone and makes the batter run longer.

• says

Ah! I have the droid, too, and had that same app on my phone. I took my phone into verizon a few months back because it was going soooo slow, and the guy at the store said that the Advanced Task Killer wasn’t all it was hyped up to be, and said that it was probably making my phone even slower! So he ended up taking it off for me, and I must say, my phone doesn’t freeze as much and is a lot faster now. But the battery life still doesn’t last longer than a day. And I lost the car-charger thing I had for it… so it’s a pain to always tote around the wall-charger between work and home. I try to only charge it at night, though. Oh well. I could handle a little less technology in my life!

3. Sarah @ healthygirlrunning says

Wow, that workout looks intense! I’m definitely going to be trying it out myself!! :)

Cardio circuits are one of my favorite workouts. I love to get my heart rate up so high– so quickly… and for an extended period of time. Definitely digging your mix of exercises…and will be putting them to practice soon!

5. Allison says

I have been a silent reader of your blog until now. I did two rounds of this circuit and I loved it! I substituted 1 min stationary bike for the 30 sec jump rope. I honestly had a blast!
    I feel ya on the cramps. I’ve been getting those while running recently- but mine are due to lack of hydration. :P

6. Lauren says

Love your blog!…just wondering if you do the same circuit work out every day, or if you mix it up, and how do you choose which one to do!
    ps love how you incorporate fashion and everyday life its awesome!

7. Brittney says

Hello! I did your workout today! Wow it was a workout. I only stopped a few times! The hardest part and only thing my friend and I didn’t finish was the burpies. I might move them towards the beginning! Thanks for the great workout!!!

8. Matin says

Am I a real idiot that all these words: “jumping jack, alternating lunge, tuck jump, squat, burpee, …” sound like Chinese to me (a language my knowledge is below zero)? It seems to me that your workouts are not for beginners. I hope I can find photos/videos to understand these.