Cardio Circuit Workout

Ryan and I both awoke in quite the chatty mood. We began our workouts with 20 minutes of side-by-side cardio while we talked away. I love that Ryan is now integrating cardio into his daily workouts. It makes the first 20 minutes of my workouts a lot more fun!

After 20 minutes on the elliptical, I headed into the gymnasium to complete a cardio circuit workout.

IMG_1284

I’m not sure if you can tell in the above picture, but I’m wearing a neon green sports bra and bright red running shorts. I told Ryan I felt as though I looked like hyperactive Christmas in this getup. (Also, this gym wear is updated on the Fashion page since I’ve had some requests for workout attire posts!)

Once I entered the gymnasium, I was thrilled to see that it was deserted. Since no one was there, I queued up my phone to blast the Lady Gaga station on Pandora to help power me through my workout.

IMG_1289

(I think it’s time for me to wash my mini gym bag, huh?)

I based my circuit off of my favorite circuit workout, but added additional sets of jump roping into the mix.

IMG_1290

In the end my workout looked like this:

• 50 jumping jacks
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 20 alternating lunges
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 10 tuck jumps
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 20 squats with 15 lb. dumbbell
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 60 sec. high knees
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 10 jump squats
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 10 burpees (I hate these!)
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 60 jumping jacks
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 20 sec. mountain climbers
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 25 push ups (girly style)
  • 30 sec. jump rope
  • 60 sec. plank

It was awesome and took me about 15 minutes to complete, though I rested a little longer in between sets than I would’ve liked because I kept getting crampy. I think I chugged way too much water during my time on the elliptical and it made me cramp up. Not so fun!

Had I not been crampy, I would have done one more set of this circuit and called it a day. I think doing this circuit two or three times through would be a fantastic workout!

After finishing the cardio circuit, I completed 15 minutes of easy running/incline walking on the treadmill while waiting for Ryan to finish his workout.

After the gym and Sadie’s usual morning walk, it was breakfast time!

IMG_1302

I’ve seen Kath post about her dough boy smoothies over the past couple of weeks and have wanted to try my hands at her creation for a while now.

Last night I combined the following in the blender:

• 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
  • 3/4 c. almond milk
  • 2 tbsp. chocolate PB2
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds

Then, this morning I added:

• 1/4 c. almond milk
  • 3/4 c. frozen strawberries

After blending away, this little beauty awaited me:

IMG_1299

IMG_1297

Lovin’ all the pink!

IMG_1301

Though I had no problem demolishing this entire bowl, I would make some changes next time, like using a frozen banana rather than strawberries because the frozen strawberries made the concoction a bit icy rather than super creamy. I might also add a scoop of vanilla Greek yogurt to give this meal a little more staying power.

Time to rinse out my bowl and head to work.

Two more days ‘til the weekend, people! Smile Two more days.

Comments

Buhhh exercise cramps are the WORST. It’s just annoying more than anything, right? Like, goodness tum, I just wanna get some endorphins flowing!

I love talking to somewhen when I walk, keeps the boredom away :)

Enjoy your day – and I love the idea of workout fashion!

I love your little gym bag…you recently inspired me to start bringing a little bag like that to the gym. It’s so much easier than lugging a huge gym bag full of things you don’t need.

You are so cute and I love your style! Your apartment looks really cute, too! Have you ever thought of doing a room-by-room tour on your blog?! 😀

Have a great day!

• says

haha yeah i have thought about it, but, to be honest, i’m not really in love with our apartment (though the location is GREAT) and hope to move soon! if/when we move out, i have a bazillion ideas for our next place and hope to feature them on the blog! still, i should do a tour of this place too… even if it does have the ugliest kitchen cabinets known to man.

• says

I totally know what you mean! I’m hesitant to post pics of my place too because a lot of the things are really outdated. Luckily my lease is up soon and then I’ll be moving to a new place when I get married this fall!

It sounds like your place is in the most perfect location for you–so close to the gym and your work. That definitely cuts out a lot of stress, I’m sure!

I seem to be following your breakfast trail this past week! Do you think this smoothie would work without the overnight soaking? The reason I ask is because I’m not sure I’ll be in the mood for it come tomorrow morning post-workout.

I have oatmeal smoothies every morning and I put yogurt in mine to make them creamy. Soooo tasty.

I’ve noticed that the low sugar cinnamon and apples oatmeal makes it so much better than plain oatmeal too. :-)

What a great circuit!! I had a great workout today as well – now let’s just get through today and start the long weekend hey!? Breakfast sounds lovely, and I agree about the bananas over the strawberries for upping the creaminess factor!

6. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

I love those doughboy smoothies — the texture is so right on!

Great workout circuit — I love those bodyweight type workouts that really get your heart rate up!

I need to incorporate smoothies into my breakfast rotation – yours always looks so delicious. I’m trying to get my boyfriend to start working out with me, especially running because I think we’d have a great time chatting away while getting in a good workout. I really think he’s scared I can outrun his butt. Haha

I’m seriously impressed, that’s an AWESOME circuit! I do the same workout every once in awhile since you posted it months ago and it’s TOUGH, the thought of adding the jump rope in- rough! I am definitely going to give it a go though!

Please please please tell me that your shirt/ dress/ tunic (??- not sure which one it is) is going to be on your fashion page!!! PLEASE 😀 I LOVE it!! Or if it’s not, could you tell me where you got it? :)

oo i love your cardio circuit-! i love me some cardio besides running all the time!!.. umm you are quite possibly the one person I know who can look GOOD while working out! i usually resemble a beetroot…

11. Caroline says

LOVE your circuit! What a good workout. I’m gunna have to steal that and do it soon … well HOPEFULLY soon – but I woke up this AM with my hamstring badly strained. It hurts to walk! I am kind of freaking out about it … wedding is in 1.5 months & I can’t afford to not get workouts in! Sad. (PS – can I register for a Vitamix? Haha! I want one SO bad but they’re so pricey! Is yours worth every penny for sure?)

Anyways, hope u have a great day!

PS – u look super cute in your workout gear!

12. Amber K says

I wish I had a place to do a circuit like that! There’s no room at my gym and I can’t do it in my upstairs apartment. I have so many fun workout DVDs that I can’t wait to do! House-hunting is hard, but I keep thinking about how much I’ll save being able to work out at home.

I’m going to have to copy this cardio circuit! I hate burpees too. I have to do ULTIMATE burpees in boot camp, it’s doing a push up when you kick back at the end movement, AWFUL. But it does give me awesome tank tops arms!

First, I am impressed by your fashion post picture because even though you have sweat on your shirt, your hair looks perfectly fine! My hair is always all gross and sweaty. Second, I did the new BP release today and all I have to say is if it doesn’t tone my arms with the endless “bottom halves” for biceps, nothing will. (I also liked the music a lot better too.)

Looks so good! Thanks to you I had a smoothie for breakfast to. I haven’t tried Kath’s smoothies yet though. Don’t you love a good circuit training workout! They are my fave.

16. Bianca says

Hi Julie! I just wanted to say I love your blog, and am now addicted. I am currently working my way backwards through it and I just want to say thanks for all the tips and inspiring all of us. Reading your blog made me realize I need to make some changes in my life for the better and that I need to quit yo-yoing on my weight. You and Ryan make a cute couple and Sadie is just adorable! Your blog is so inspiring and because of you, I’m going to get my life and weight back in order.

Cute gym attire! Yesterday I found myself in bright purple shorts and a turquoise top, whoops… 😉 I’ve been loving adding oats to my smoothies lately — last night I made overnight oats (pumpkin pie style) and this morning put them in the blender with a frozen banana and some toasted buckwheat — YUM! I think the buckwheat tasted like pumpkin pie crust, DELISH! Have a great Thursday!

18. Danica says

Just incorporated two circuits of this workout into my routine this morning-LOVE IT! Thank you!
    p.s. I hate burpees too-I feel like the most uncoordinated person doing them!

19. Katie @ Finding My Om says

Your posts make me want to do more cardio and eat/drink more smoothies. :) Neon sports bras are awesome! I have built in bras on my tanks (not very top heavy) so I don’t really wear the sports bras anymore. If I did, I’d totally get neon colored ones!

I just did a post yesterday asking if anyone did any at-home circuit workouts, and someone referred me to your page! I love this one that you did today, but honestly it might be a little intense for me! I’ll probably be making some modifications, but thanks for the workout :) I look forward to reading more of your blog!

21. Ally@GirlVFood says

Oh my GOSH. I thought I was the only one who got waterlogged cramps! My legs get so heavy when I drink too much water and don’t sweat enough. It’s so brutal!

Yayyyyyyyy I’m such a dork, but I love that you’re featuring your workout clothes now on the fashion page! I always get sucked into the work-out gear whenever I go into Target. And that’s so fun that you had the whole gym to yourself for the most part! If i were to p;ay music off of my phone on speakers, the battery would drain soooo fast! How do you make yours last?!

• says

i’m not sure what kind of phone you have, but i have a droid and downloaded the “advanced task killer” ap. it lets you “kill” all unnecessary programs running on your phone and makes the batter run longer.

• says

Ah! I have the droid, too, and had that same app on my phone. I took my phone into verizon a few months back because it was going soooo slow, and the guy at the store said that the Advanced Task Killer wasn’t all it was hyped up to be, and said that it was probably making my phone even slower! So he ended up taking it off for me, and I must say, my phone doesn’t freeze as much and is a lot faster now. But the battery life still doesn’t last longer than a day. And I lost the car-charger thing I had for it… so it’s a pain to always tote around the wall-charger between work and home. I try to only charge it at night, though. Oh well. I could handle a little less technology in my life!

23. Sarah @ healthygirlrunning says

Wow, that workout looks intense! I’m definitely going to be trying it out myself!! :)

Cardio circuits are one of my favorite workouts. I love to get my heart rate up so high– so quickly… and for an extended period of time. Definitely digging your mix of exercises…and will be putting them to practice soon!

25. Allison says

I have been a silent reader of your blog until now. I did two rounds of this circuit and I loved it! I substituted 1 min stationary bike for the 30 sec jump rope. I honestly had a blast!
    I feel ya on the cramps. I’ve been getting those while running recently- but mine are due to lack of hydration. 😛

26. Lauren says

Love your blog!…just wondering if you do the same circuit work out every day, or if you mix it up, and how do you choose which one to do!
    ps love how you incorporate fashion and everyday life its awesome!

27. Brittney says

Hello! I did your workout today! Wow it was a workout. I only stopped a few times! The hardest part and only thing my friend and I didn’t finish was the burpies. I might move them towards the beginning! Thanks for the great workout!!!

28. Matin says

Am I a real idiot that all these words: “jumping jack, alternating lunge, tuck jump, squat, burpee, …” sound like Chinese to me (a language my knowledge is below zero)? It seems to me that your workouts are not for beginners. I hope I can find photos/videos to understand these.