Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail

“Failure to plan is planning to fail.”

I both agree and disagree with this statement when it comes to eating healthy.

Yes, I think it’s important to plan to eat nutritious meals. This is easier when you plan ahead and buy healthy items at the grocery store.

When this statement doesn’t work for me is when I plan my meals. I like to have an idea of the meals I’m going to enjoy so I know what food to buy for the week, but when it comes to actually planning meals, it’s not for me.

You see, the minute I tell myself I have to eat meatloaf or BBQ chicken, I’m immediately not in the mood for that particular dish. When I say I could have BBQ chicken or buffalo chicken sandwiches, my mouth starts watering at either possibility. I guess I like variety and options.

Ryan and I will buy fish, lean meats and veggies at the grocery store with an idea of what we’ll make throughout the week, but no real plan. This works for us because it gives us the flexibility to take lean ground beef and make sloppy joes or an Asian beef cucumber bowl.

Dinner

Tonight I opened the fridge and the salmon filet we purchased at Publix yesterday caught my eye.

I felt like getting a little creative in the kitchen this evening, so I took the salmon and placed it in a food processor before adding some ingredients to the mix.

salmon burgers 004

I then pulsated everything to make salmon burgers!

salmon burgers 006

Salmon Burgers (Makes three burgers)

Ingredients:

• 3/4 lb. fresh salmon
  • 2 tbsp. oats
  • 2 tbsp. green onions, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. light mayonnaise (I used light Miracle Whip)
  • 2 tsp. stone-ground mustard (Dijon, honey mustard or regular mustard will also work)
  • 1 tsp. dill

Directions:

• Heat a griddle on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
  • Combine ingredients in a food processor and pulsate until everything is fully mixed.
  • Shape salmon mixture into three patties and place on griddle.
  • Cook until sides of the patties appear cooked (approximately 5 minutes)
  • Flip patties and cook until salmon is completely cooked (another 5 minutes)
  • Enjoy!

salmon burgers 015

These burgers were really, really good! Both Ryan and I said we would absolutely make them again!

We enjoyed our salmon burgers on top of toasted whole wheat sandwich thins with lettuce and tomato slices and a side of green bean fries.

salmon burgers 016

salmon burgers 012

Eating healthy really can be so flippin’ delicious!

And now it’s Bachelorette time! Don’t forget to join in on The Bachelorette discussion on the PBF Facebook page in the morning (or tonight, depending on how amped up we all get!).

Comments

oh gosh that sure dnt apply to me! i cannot plan meals – it would drive me crazy… i HAte thikning about food and honeslty i really dnt like cooking! thats why my meals are super fast!

I think that the oats additions is so creative! Would have never thought to put those in salmon burgers.

I am watching the Bachelorette right now!! I am on the edge of my seat to see what happens with Bentley!

I used to meal plan religiously, but I found it’s not for me when I have extra time. During the school year, I like to meal plan because I don’t have extra time – but now in the summer, I’d rather just make whatever comes to mind! 🙂

4. jen @ taste life says

I am the same way! I loosely plan out some ideas of things I’d like to eat during the week, but I have to change it up to suit what I’m in the mood for.

I need to plan enough to at least have the raw materials available to make something healthy. I run into this problem often on the weekends — I realize I don’t have things to make lunch, good snacks and then I end up running to the deli for something naughty.

But I do like to give myself the flexibility to say I’m not really feeling like chicken tonight, I’ll save that for tomorrow and make a salad instead.

6. fsugirl! says

Oh my gosh! I saw the first pic and I thought THAT was your dinner! I was like “oh my gosh… what is Julie eating NOW?” 😉 Your real dinner looks tasty, though! 😀 Have a great night!

I tend to plan my meals down to a T, but then I definitely suffer from the exact thing you just described. I often feel like I need to plan because I’m just cooking for ME, and I want to save as much money on groceries (and definitely don’t want food to go to waste!) I like your idea of buying some simple ingredients that you can do a lot with—the best of both worlds!

HOW have I not stumbled on your blog before? I found it through Sweet Tooth Sweet Life when she talked about your homemade almond granola. RI-DIC!!! And those salmon burgers look to die for! Hope you enjoy another follower and constant commenter 🙂

I love your excitement about healthy food/eating! I’m glad there’s someone out there that’s an enthusiastic as myself about these types of things. 🙂

Gotta love the Bachelorette! What a hot mess that show is.

First, those burgers look amazing!

Second, I’m the same way with planning. I like to have a few quick things in the freezer, like boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cooked shrimp, frozen veggies. Then I shop for fresh items and things on sale that week. I’m more than willing to buy in bulk if the price is right (hello, b1g1 ground turkey breast last week!).

11. @HilaryFleming says

Oh, you’ve inspired me to eat salmon burgers…those look absolutely amazeballs.
    AND I just got giddy at the thought of the Bachelorette. Yes! Bentley is back tonight. Can’t wait to see the dramz. (Did you know I went the same college as his wife and know her sisters…of course I would be kevin bacon gaming with the douchey bachelorette guy). but the connection is too great not to share…

genius and delicious ahhhh! I loooove salmon and it’s interesting at inspiring to see what a married couple does in regards to eating habits since I’ll be married next year 🙂 I hope we don’t eat out too much or anything like that! did you guys eat out a lot while dating Julie? If so, was it hard to adjust to not doing that after marriage?

I am a planner. I stay on track best when I cook my protein in bulk and then roast some veggies for the side when we are ready to eat.

Love the salmon burgers. I am definitely going to make those!

I am also getting back on track this week. I am coming off my b-day week and a week of visiting friends, so there was a lot of indulging! 🙂

14. Katherina @ Zephyr Runs says

I’m the exact same way!! Can’t plan too much or else it’s a deterrent 🙂 Those salmon burgers look scrumptious.

I love when you just whip something up and it tastes amazing. Maybe that’s why it taste so amazing…because you’re just like, “here it goes!” lol

I wanted to make something cool today, but I am sick-ish and cannot breathe out of my nose, so I would have no idea if something taste good or not, which wouldn’t be good for the hubby if it ended up tasting really bad! haha

I am so much like you it’s not even funny…. The moment anyone (including myself… weird, I know) tells me I ‘HAVE TO’ do something the stubborn side of me comes out. So I hear you!
    Those salmon burgers look stinkin awesome! 🙂

I used to plan for a week but it kinda got on my nerves! I just make a rough plan and go with the flow! I love salmon so will defo be making these, although I may replace the mayo with Greek yog as not a fan!

18. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

Wow, those burgers look absolutely amazing Julie, so succulent and delicious 🙂 So cool that you made them yourself too. I have a couple bags of some lovely alaskan salmon burgers in the freezer, courtesy of Costco, but once those are finished I will totally use this recipe…so creative and fresh! I’ve never made salmon burgers before (yet) 😉
    I completely agree with you with regards to the not planning meals – I like to stock up on healthy ingredients and whole food staples, which I can then use to create whatever I feel like eating when meal time rolls round 🙂
    It’s so nice that you and Ryan like to eat the same things – makes cooking and choosing healthy dinners much easier, eh? Love seeing what you guys have as it inspires me to mix things up myself!
    xyx

19. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

PS: Green bean fries?!?! Sound AWESOME! Gonna bookmark those too 🙂 yummy! xyx

20. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

I don’t think we have the Bachelorette in England 🙁 I feel I’m missing out, lol! 😛 xyx

I “plan” my meals like you do. There are go to veggie-protein-grain combos that work, so I just make sure to always throw those in the cart, but being too strict with a plan makes me feel like a kid ordering off the school lunch menu where there’s only one option.

Thanks for sharing how you feel about planning. Our mind plays such an important role in our health, so giving yourself options is a great way to keep your mind in the game. It’s great that that works for you and Ryan and that you don’t try to do something that doesn’t work for you.

I’m usually not a big fan of salmon filets, since they get a little boring sometimes. But this looks SO.DANG.GOOD! I might even persuade my fiancee into eating this one!

Btw, I am the exact same way- if I tell myself that I am making one particular thing, I’m never in the mood for it!

I totally agree, I dont plan any of my meals because it makes me not look forward to them. But I do have an idea in the back of my head of what I’d like to make =)

Salmon burgers…must add to my list of burgers to make! I love making various burgers..so easy, healthy, & delicious!!

I tried the whole planning meals and it didn’t stick…but I thought I would really like it bc I am quite the planner. Rather, like you, I like to have an idea and options…simplifies things!! 🙂

Have a great day!

Hahaha! I am the EXACT same way with meals. I can never plan them out because I always change my mind…so I just make an ‘idea’ of what I could make for dinners & then purchase the groceries for them…& throw in a few ‘extras’ just in case my mind changes 😉
    Oh, and dumb question because I think I know the answer, but do you use un cooked salmon or already cooked salmon before you put it in the processor? (I’m definitely making them & I am making the Bud Light Lime chicken this week too!!) 😀

I feel so very very out of the loop reading these comments when I have yet to watch last night’s episode!! I just keep telling myself “Save it til lunchtime, girl….” But it’s tough.

Salmon burgers look off the chain, always looking for a new way to incorporate fish into my diet without just, you know, broiling fish. HOO-RAH for fish party!

These look awesome. They kind of remind me of the healthy crab cakes I made last week. I agree with you about the planning thing too. I plan up to a certain degree, but once my meals become too rigid I lose interest in whatever food I’m supposed to eat.

29. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

This looks delicious! I also try to plan my meals, but just because I say I am going to have chicken salad on Tuesday doesn’t mean that is always going to happen. Somtimes the meal I have planned simply does not seem appetizing to me!

Ugh, I know what you mean about planning meals! You get everything all planned out and perfect, but when mealtime rolls around… you don’t even really want what you’ve planned out! I think this is why its so easy for me to fall into food ruts; I just keep falling back on my old favorites.

Julie
    I have to tell you that “Fail to Plan is a Plan to Fail is my father-in-law’s motto. He instilled it in his son (My husband) and it’s said often in our house. Love your blog and recipes. Looking fwd to making the granola tonight.

I’ve never tried making my own salmon burgers or fish cakes but these look sso easy. Do you think you could use a hand held chopper to blitz the ingrediants? I unfortunately dont own a food processer :o(

33. Grecia says

I made these today and they were delicious. I’m not usually a big fan of salmon ( I know I should be though), but these were really good. I also don’t have a food processor so I put in the ingredients in a blender and added a tiny bit of water and used the Grate setting. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for this recipe!

34. Rhonda says

I haven’t made salmon burgers in a while – might be on the menu this week! I have a receipe that calls for some cooked, mashed sweet potato added in the mix – really good.

Thanks!

35. Brittney says

I made this for my hubby and gluten free/ dairy free mother in law the other night and everyone loved it! We switched out the regular oats for gf ones and also switched out the mayo for some guacamole! We used gf buns and spread some more delish guac on the bun. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration! I love this blog! It has really turned our eating and work out habits around! Thanks again!

36. Kady says

You could process all of the stuff together at home and then bring the patties to wherever you are going to cook them, couldn’t you? I want to make them for date night, but my boyfriend doesn’t have a food processor in their house!

37. Mable says

I hate salmon burgers and salmon cakes with too much bead! But the ingredients in this recipe seemed palatable, and replaced breadcrumbs with oatmeal, so I figured I might as well try it.

Fantastic! Salty and savory salmon with sweet wheat sandwich thins? I’m bookmarking this page for friends. They’ll love them!