Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail

“Failure to plan is planning to fail.”

I both agree and disagree with this statement when it comes to eating healthy.

Yes, I think it’s important to plan to eat nutritious meals. This is easier when you plan ahead and buy healthy items at the grocery store.

When this statement doesn’t work for me is when I plan my meals. I like to have an idea of the meals I’m going to enjoy so I know what food to buy for the week, but when it comes to actually planning meals, it’s not for me.

You see, the minute I tell myself I have to eat meatloaf or BBQ chicken, I’m immediately not in the mood for that particular dish. When I say I could have BBQ chicken or buffalo chicken sandwiches, my mouth starts watering at either possibility. I guess I like variety and options.

Ryan and I will buy fish, lean meats and veggies at the grocery store with an idea of what we’ll make throughout the week, but no real plan. This works for us because it gives us the flexibility to take lean ground beef and make sloppy joes or an Asian beef cucumber bowl.

Dinner

Tonight I opened the fridge and the salmon filet we purchased at Publix yesterday caught my eye.

I felt like getting a little creative in the kitchen this evening, so I took the salmon and placed it in a food processor before adding some ingredients to the mix.

salmon burgers 004

I then pulsated everything to make salmon burgers!

salmon burgers 006

Salmon Burgers (Makes three burgers)

Ingredients:

• 3/4 lb. fresh salmon
  • 2 tbsp. oats
  • 2 tbsp. green onions, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. light mayonnaise (I used light Miracle Whip)
  • 2 tsp. stone-ground mustard (Dijon, honey mustard or regular mustard will also work)
  • 1 tsp. dill

Directions:

• Heat a griddle on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
  • Combine ingredients in a food processor and pulsate until everything is fully mixed.
  • Shape salmon mixture into three patties and place on griddle.
  • Cook until sides of the patties appear cooked (approximately 5 minutes)
  • Flip patties and cook until salmon is completely cooked (another 5 minutes)
  • Enjoy!

salmon burgers 015

These burgers were really, really good! Both Ryan and I said we would absolutely make them again!

We enjoyed our salmon burgers on top of toasted whole wheat sandwich thins with lettuce and tomato slices and a side of green bean fries.

salmon burgers 016

salmon burgers 012

Eating healthy really can be so flippin’ delicious!

And now it’s Bachelorette time! Don’t forget to join in on The Bachelorette discussion on the PBF Facebook page in the morning (or tonight, depending on how amped up we all get!).

Comments

I totally agree, I dont plan any of my meals because it makes me not look forward to them. But I do have an idea in the back of my head of what I’d like to make =)

Salmon burgers…must add to my list of burgers to make! I love making various burgers..so easy, healthy, & delicious!!

I tried the whole planning meals and it didn’t stick…but I thought I would really like it bc I am quite the planner. Rather, like you, I like to have an idea and options…simplifies things!! :)

Have a great day!

Hahaha! I am the EXACT same way with meals. I can never plan them out because I always change my mind…so I just make an ‘idea’ of what I could make for dinners & then purchase the groceries for them…& throw in a few ‘extras’ just in case my mind changes ;)
    Oh, and dumb question because I think I know the answer, but do you use un cooked salmon or already cooked salmon before you put it in the processor? (I’m definitely making them & I am making the Bud Light Lime chicken this week too!!) :D

I feel so very very out of the loop reading these comments when I have yet to watch last night’s episode!! I just keep telling myself “Save it til lunchtime, girl….” But it’s tough.

Salmon burgers look off the chain, always looking for a new way to incorporate fish into my diet without just, you know, broiling fish. HOO-RAH for fish party!

These look awesome. They kind of remind me of the healthy crab cakes I made last week. I agree with you about the planning thing too. I plan up to a certain degree, but once my meals become too rigid I lose interest in whatever food I’m supposed to eat.

6. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

This looks delicious! I also try to plan my meals, but just because I say I am going to have chicken salad on Tuesday doesn’t mean that is always going to happen. Somtimes the meal I have planned simply does not seem appetizing to me!

Ugh, I know what you mean about planning meals! You get everything all planned out and perfect, but when mealtime rolls around… you don’t even really want what you’ve planned out! I think this is why its so easy for me to fall into food ruts; I just keep falling back on my old favorites.

Julie
    I have to tell you that “Fail to Plan is a Plan to Fail is my father-in-law’s motto. He instilled it in his son (My husband) and it’s said often in our house. Love your blog and recipes. Looking fwd to making the granola tonight.

I’ve never tried making my own salmon burgers or fish cakes but these look sso easy. Do you think you could use a hand held chopper to blitz the ingrediants? I unfortunately dont own a food processer :o(

10. Grecia says

I made these today and they were delicious. I’m not usually a big fan of salmon ( I know I should be though), but these were really good. I also don’t have a food processor so I put in the ingredients in a blender and added a tiny bit of water and used the Grate setting. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for this recipe!

11. Rhonda says

I haven’t made salmon burgers in a while – might be on the menu this week! I have a receipe that calls for some cooked, mashed sweet potato added in the mix – really good.

Thanks!

12. Brittney says

I made this for my hubby and gluten free/ dairy free mother in law the other night and everyone loved it! We switched out the regular oats for gf ones and also switched out the mayo for some guacamole! We used gf buns and spread some more delish guac on the bun. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration! I love this blog! It has really turned our eating and work out habits around! Thanks again!

13. Kady says

You could process all of the stuff together at home and then bring the patties to wherever you are going to cook them, couldn’t you? I want to make them for date night, but my boyfriend doesn’t have a food processor in their house!

14. Mable says

I hate salmon burgers and salmon cakes with too much bead! But the ingredients in this recipe seemed palatable, and replaced breadcrumbs with oatmeal, so I figured I might as well try it.

Fantastic! Salty and savory salmon with sweet wheat sandwich thins? I’m bookmarking this page for friends. They’ll love them!