Morning Workout with Michael

Wanna know what takes an interval workout to the next level?

A little bit of Michael.

michael jackso

About 10 minutes into my treadmill workout, “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)” came on my iPod and I found myself flyin’!

My mind instantly thought of all the fun we had dancing to Michael Jackson at my friend Leah’s wedding last weekend.

264381_10150271472294758_620249757_7282418_7058362_n

265074_10150271472104758_620249757_7282414_8200289_n

Pretty sure there’s nothing more fun than belting out every word to a song as loud as you can and cheesily dancing with your girlfriends. Our moves are seriously intense.

Since my mind was thinking about last weekend, dancing and other memories I have associated with Michael Jackson’s music, my 50-minute treadmill workout was over before I knew it.

Minutes Incline Speed
0-5 8.0 4.0
5 – 15 1.0 6.5
15-20 8.0 4.0
20-25 1.0 6.5
25-45 1.0 Alternate 4.5 for one minute with 8.0 for one minute
45-49 8.0 4.0
49-50 5.0 4.0

I cooled down to a little more Michael. That song from the Free Willy soundtrack is the JAM.

Walk + Breakfast

Another work out done. Another walk around the lake with the dog. Another beautiful morning in Orlando.

2011-07-14_06-58-54_404

Once our 40-minute walk was over, it was breakfast time.

It’s been more than a week since I’ve made a smoothie. What is wrong with me!?

Naturally I had to fix that immediately and made myself a chocolate protein smoothie right as I walked in the door.

chocolate protein smoothie 001

That’s more like it.

chocolate protein smoothie 002

And now I’m freezing. Smoothies always make me so cold. I guess that means it’s coffee time!

Comments

1. Laura@ Backstage Pass says

Bahahaha the Free Willy soundtrack! I think I know what song you’re talking about, and it is indeed amazing!

I was never much of a Michael Jackson fan (except with the Jackson 5 – LOVED A,B,C!) HOWEVER, I wholeheartedly agree with you that the song from Free Willy is the JAM. My sister and I watched that movie and listened to that song incessantly for about an entire summer when we were little 🙂

3. Niki (Life's a Payne) says

The free willy song was my favourite! Especially the video of it that played on the tape before the movie started! That brings me back!

How often do people update their ipods? Honestly I do mine twice a year, no wonder the music gets old!

I yo-yo hot and cold too based on the temperature of what I’m eating. Good choice with the post-smoothie coffee–just make sure not to get your temperature back up too much or you’ll have to have another smoothie! 😉

I’m going to miss your photos of downtown Orlando. You always seem to capture the city in it’s best light.

But I’m sure Ocala will be just as gorgeous. 🙂

Congrats, BTW, on all the fun changes going on in your life. The moving drama will work itself out!

Haha, I can tolerate Michael Jackson a little bit. Some of his songs are irritating to me. I think that’s because my mom told me that she used to listen to him the entire time she was pregnant with me. 😉

7. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

I love MJ’s music — last year my boss got married and me and my coworkers all got out and danced to Billie Jean — it is one of my favorite memories ever. It was a blast!

8. Katie says

I love MJ! My roommates and I had a dance to Thriller in college. Also love the Free Willy song. We sang it in middle school choir which is when I became obsessed with it. It always reminds me now of how I should have never been in choir though :).

Good luck w/ the moving situation! I have friends who did what you are contemplating (living in temporary housing for a month until house they wanted was available) and even though they said it was annoying, they thought it was worth it for the place they are in now. I’m sure it will work itself out though, and maybe you will find a place that is 10x cooler!

I love MJ! Great choice for a workout, sure gets me going too 😀
    And I just read your post about the moving situation and that is just annoying, I’m sorry to hear 🙁 But everything will work itself out, just keep your head up pretty lady!

10. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

Oh my gosh, you’re totally right – that free willy song is beautiful and totally awesome! when I was younger it used to make me tear up, lol! 😛 imho you seriously cannot beat MJ and Queen for dancing…woo hoo! 😀 Love the view of Orlando, it looks so beautiful across the water…you must be soaking it all up before your next adventure and home…but you will find something just as wonderful to love in your new place too, i know it! <3 xyx

Always so jealous of that beautiful view on your morning walks!

I see veggie bacon a lot on your blog and I was always curious about it. So, when I was at the store yesterday I picked some up (Morning star brand). What makes you have that instead of regular bacon? Just curious 🙂

12. krista says

That is one of the reasons I don’t care for ice cream, I’m always FREEZING after eating it! And I live in TX where it’s 105 by noon. I do love smoothies though, those are worth being cold. Don’t judge but the McD’s mango pineapple smoothie is awesome! Try it out next road trip. =) I haven’t eaten there in decades yet I’ll stop for one of those, go figure.

Wow that looks like a great workout!! Lately I’ve been getting pumped up when “Shots” by LMFAO shuffles onto my IPOD…a song about drinking getting me pumped up to run!?!? That’s an issue! hahaha, it’s just so catchy!

I missed my morning smoothie today so I am planning on some chocolate/pb smoothie delicousness tonight 🙂 Keep yo head up about the house/living situation also… things always work out in time and always better than what was first expected!!

I stumbled across your blog last week and was intrigued by the name (peanut butter is one of my main food groups!), and I’ve checked in a couple of times. This entry made it official, though – I’m hooked as a reader! MJ is my all-time favorite workout music. He just makes me run faster and faster! Lately I’ve been rocking out to “Hold My Hand” during my evening jogs 🙂 Thanks for the entertaining, interesting writing!

I love how a great playlist can totally pump up a workout! (Loving your facebook discussion this morning by the way – my head has been spinning with ideas!)
    And your smoothie photos always make me crave chocolate.

17. Sarah says

Omg! MJ definitely has the best workout music by far! Haha! And I have to agree – that song from Free Willy is awesome! 🙂

I love me some MJ!!! I put Thriller on my running playlist and despite it being on shuffle (perfect timing) it came on right as I was coming into the finish line of one of my first races! Cant beat that!

They play the Free Willy song sometimes in my yoga class. It’s so hard to focus on holding a pose when you’re singing all the words! 🙂

19. Carey @ Positively Blonde says

I was having a hard time deciding on what station to listen to on Pandora today- Michael Jackson it is! haha

PYT and The Way You Make Me Feel will forever be my favorite songs to run to. Do you remember the movie Center Stage? The Way You Make Me Feel was the finale song, and to this day, I nearly start dancing (as I’m running) whenever it comes on my iPod!

Michael has the best workout songs! I actually just finished a smoothie & I had to get back in bed & put a sweatshirt on. Maybe I should have drank the coffee after the smoothie instead of before. Now I can’t get out of bed!

22. Allison says

Ok I’ve been reading your blog forever and finally decided I needed to start commenting! Love all your posts and thought you should know that “the jam” has been incorporated into my daily vocab! Haha my friends are also using it too… You’ve started a trend! Good choice on MJ- I think “Man in the Mirror” is my fave!

I love PYT… and everything MJ. When Shawn Johnson danced to it on DWTS, I fell in love and it has been my ring tone ever since. I wish it was on the MJ dance game for Wii!

Speaking of PYT, it was playing last night when we were out for dinner… the entire time the song was on I kept searching in my purse for my phone as i was convinced it was someone calling me. Slightly embarrassing when it happened for the third time during the same song.

24. Shayla @ The Good Life says

Awww love MJ!! PYT is definitely one of my fav songs!

Btw, I love that when you respond your box is now colored…it’s nice to be able to find your responses more easily! 🙂

I love how everyone I know only knows the song as “that one from Free Willy.” I still don’t know the actual title, because the second I see it or hear it I forget it again! lol

Haha so glad you went for the smoothie this morning too! I am seriously so obsessed! And I loveeee MJ! I have all sorts of fun memories to his songs too that usually involve me singing loudly or dancing! 🙂 But I should add some to my work out list too!

MJ is the BEST for workouts–and PYT is definitely a fav of mine.

I had a smoothie this morning and felt the same way. Fa-reezing!!! I had to get a blanket while I was eating it. Nuts! 🙂

So coincidental – last night I went to a spin class and the instructor put on the MJ Free Willy soundtrack song! As soon as it came on she told us all we were going to bike really hard with Willy on our backs so we could free him. Do you know how much resistance you have to put on to make it feel like you’re biking a whale to freedom? A LOT!!! 🙂

29. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

I agree! Michael is the best workout buddy!

Plus, I used to be obsessed with that Free Willy song. I would play it over and over again on my walkman (that’s right… my WALKMAN).

30. Katie @ Katie Rose Fitness says

My grandpa was my dentist and he put my braces on. He would adjust them in our living room while I laid on the couch…he could tighten them right there! Right before I was going to get them off a wire fell off on the top teeth so all i had were the brace brackets on my teeth without the wire. It looked so ugly! Luckily he took the braces off soon after that!

31. Yaara says

Hey Julie!
    I came across your blog recently through the fitnesstista. It’s great!! I wanted to ask–do you find it difficult to just “get up and go” to the gym when you first get up in the morning or do you have to have something small before you leave. I know working out first thing on an empty belly is best–but in the morning I”m so hungry.
    What do you do–and I admire your dedication getting up every morning!!
    Yaara