Orlando: My Three Homes

At around 6 p.m., we officially waved goodbye to our home in Orlando.

2011-07-24_17-32-34_946

That’s the old abode! I can finally show you guys the outside! Smile

When I tweeted this photo earlier, some of you laughed at the fact that we had a decimal in our address. The apartment we rented was located in the back of a larger home, so it was awarded a “.5” on the end of the house number.

Though this place gave us our fair share of headaches with the mouse problem and all, it was also the first place we shared as a married couple and really did feel like home.

apartment

apartment2

We won’t miss the world’s ugliest cabinets or the dark kitchen, but we will miss living in a central location in downtown Orlando and the warm and friendly neighborhood.

As we were driving our final load of belongings to Ocala (it took us two trips and three carloads to get everything there), I had Ryan swing by my first apartment and the first apartment we shared together so I could snap a quick picture of our Orlando homes.

My first post-college apartment was located in the back of a quaint home in the Thornton Park neighborhood of Orlando.

2011-07-24_16-29-54_930

It was about 700 square feet and it was all mine! Well, Ryan basically lived there without really living there, so I guess it was kind of his, too… Winking smile

We called this place my “mini house” because it was so cozy and homey but scrunched into a the back of an already small home. To do my laundry, I had to hook up the washing machine to the kitchen sink!

I loved it there!

After a year at the “mini house,” I took the plunge and moved into a place with Ryan where we lived for two years.

2011-07-24_16-32-53_751

This is the place we lived in when I started the blog! Open-mouthed smile

It was about 1,000 square feet and was my favorite home of the three. With the exception of some seriously nutty landlords, this place was perfect!

apartment thornton park

apartment4

apartment3

It’s hard to believe I’ve lived in Orlando for the past eight years. It was really bittersweet as we drove away from a place with so many memories, but we’re really excited and ready to discover a new place with new things to do, restaurants to try, trails to hike and people to meet!

Moving Fuel

Today’s adventures were fueled by his and hers Frappuccinos.

2011-07-24_15-20-21_197

I love ‘em!

Once we finally had everything packed into storage (we were moving and cleaning from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.), it was dinner time.

stuff in storage 002

We stopped by Publix to pick up some food to have on hand at our temporary living location and also nabbed some sushi.

stuff in storage 003

And then Ryan had the genius idea to split a pint of ice cream in honor of our big move!

stuff in storage 004

He let me choose the flavor and I selected Blue Bell coconut fudge ice cream which was FANTASTIC. I love coconut and fudge ribbons, so this little gem was right up my alley.

With the two of us working our magic on the pint, it was gone within 10 minutes.

And now we’re cuddled up in a fluffy hotel bed (we’re staying in an extended stay hotel until we find an apartment) and hope to get a good night’s sleep. I don’t think that will be too hard after today’s moving madness.

Ryan’s first day at his new job starts tomorrow!!!

Comments

Doesn’t look like too bad of a day! I love the .5 house number! If the mice move out, I would want to live there just to have that as my address. 😉

Frap’s and pints of ice cream are great moving fuel!

2. Katherina @ Zephyr Runs says

I have a single digit address (5!) and people think it’s hilarious, hah. I can’t imagine if it were 5.5! Orlando will miss you, I’m sure… hope your move went smoothly and you’re enjoying Ocala!

So bittersweet… moving can be hard, but the excitement of trying new things will be wonderful and an adventure!

what do your parents think about you moving even farther away from them? how do YOU feel about that?

Wow! I love the 2nd one! All of your homes were beautiful! Best of luck with your move to Ocala! So nice that you will still be so close to your family 🙂

5. Laura @ southern girl bakes says

Oh my goodness, the Blue Bell coconut fudge flavor is amazing. I’ve been looking for it since they brought some into work for us to sample a few months ago, and I haven’t been able to find it.

It’s sad to leave Orlando, but hopefully discovering everything Ocala has to offer will be fun!

I have the exact same cabinets!!! And I hate them! Pair them with 232 square feet of white counter tops and 315 square feet of white tile and you have one ugly kitchen! Funny thing is, I’m in Pennsylvania and the rental company I rent through has them all through their hundreds of properties. Yikes!

Aw good luck to Ryan and finding a place! It was cute looking back at your first post! Loved seeing all your past houses. You should try the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream! I’m lactose intolerant, so this stuff is perfect because it is made from coconut milk and it is amazing!!

8. Angela says

Wow, I have passed that house so many times, too! Have the best time in Ocala, Julie! We just bought a house in Deltona, and I am nervous! Luckily it’s not too far from Orlando. My heart is there!

I love looking back on all the places I’ve lived and the memories that come with them. Best of luck to Ryan on his first day, and to you both on finding a place ASAP!

10. Jess says

I’ve actually lived at a 20 1/2!! lol so funny…Good luck with getting all settled in your new city and finding a new awesome place to live 🙂

11. Shayla @ The Good Life says

Love the layout and kitchen of the second home – too cute! Good luck in finding a new home! 🙂

Aww. I loved seeing your old places. I still get teary when I look at pictures of my former apartments that my husband and I lived in (Las Vegas and Fort Lauderdale). But our first place as homeowners is now in Cape Cod, and it’s a totally new experience that I love! Hope you find your permanent home soon!

You are so brave for living in hotel until you find a place. Like you asked in a previous post, I am a planner and I would not be able to handle that. Nice work! 🙂 What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, right? 😉

Aww, cutie pie young Sadie alert!

I still get nostalgic when I drive by the townhome apartments that my husband and I first lived in before we (a) were married, and (b) bought our home! Glad I’m not the only one who gets all mushy about that kind of stuff.

We had a blue bell ice cream shop thing on the first floor of the dorms my freshman year of college—i had many of an ice cream there. so tasty.

and loved your recap of orlando homes. 🙂

16. Heather @ Ooops I Blogged The Toilet says

I LOVE your old “mini-house”! There is something so comfortable and cozy about small places that are yours and yours alone. My first apartment was like that, and I STILL miss it to this day!

Wow you’ve had such beautiful places to live! If you could see my apartment, it’s tiny and not that cosy, but as I live near Paris the prices are expensive so I can’t afford a large thing like that. Good luck to Ryan for his new job!!!

You have lived in some great places and I’m sure your move to Ocala will be no different. On a completely different note, I just had a breakfast which I think you would love: peanut butter & banana quesadillas!

Wow – we SO miss Blue Bell — being from Texas (where it’s made) my husband would have some every night — He’s a Moo-lenium Crunch kind of guy– that coconut & fudge combo sounds delicious! No Blue Bell in Trinidad…yet LOL Have a great Monday! xoxo

Peace out Mice! ha!

Im happy you guys got everything moved, and Im hoping you guys find a place asap ; ) things will work out!

Good Luck to RYan today on his new job! Happy First day to him!!

Good luck! Moving is stressful, and poor Ryan has moving PLUS a new job. I feel like guys handle stress better (or maybe they just don’t show it!)

My boyfriend is from Ocala, and it is definitely a different scene than Orlando! If you ever need ideas of fun things to do, I am happy to name a few!

Oh my gosh that ice cream looks amazing. I just want to dive head first into that pint. Also? Loved this idea for a post! I should really do the same thing for all the places I’ve lived…

CONGRATS on the move! I think you’re going to love this next chapter of your life 🙂

Haha! Those cabinets are way better than mine are! mine are similar but dark dark brown with a BRIGHT Orange interior…. and seriously hasn’t been updated since the 1970s. Although that fits in nicely with the powder blue 70s bathroom…

24. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

You’re so brave and positive and inspirational, it’s awesome. Change is inevitable and moving is always stressful, but love your perspective here 🙂 Leaving with memories and happy thoughts…and excited to explore the new! It always takes time to settle into a new place, but it does happen. Wishing Ryan the very best of luck at his new job! xyx

Good luck to Ryan on his first day at the new job! I loved the picture tour of your previous homes, it looks like the Orlando rental market is a lot better than Seattle, those are some nice places (sans mice).

REALLY jealous you live in the “south.” Blue Bell ice cream is my aboslute favorite! I was born in Denver, lived in St. Louis my entire life, went to college in Indiana and my boyfriend and I just moved to Des Moines in July. We’ve been all over the Midwest, but I’m itching to get to the south for some Blue Bell! Every year, my family takes a vacation trip to Destin, FL and we go to down on Blue Bell.

P.S. – Exciting times, moving! Packing sucks, but it’s always exciting being in a new place. 🙂 Best of luck!