Squash Casserole

Tonight was quite an eventful little evening! But we’ll get to that in a minute.

First, let’s plow through dinner.

Dinner

Dinner tonight was pretty darn tasty.

safaveih chairs 002

I made a yummy casserole using summer squash, chicken apple sausage, Greek yogurt, onion, garlic, cheese and breadcrumbs.

I initially had plans to follow Cooking Light’s recipe for yellow squash casserole, but I ended up veering off course and doing my own thing.

Squash Casserole

Serves: Two very hungry people, or four as a side

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

• 6 ounces chicken sausage (I used apple-flavored chicken sausage), chopped into small pieces
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 4 cups sliced yellow squash (about 1 pound)
  • 2 slices wheat bread
  • 6 ounces Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • Cooking spray

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until onions become slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add squash to sausage mixture and cook on medium heat until squash is slightly soft, about 8 minutes.
  4. Place the bread in a food processor, and pulse until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup.
  5. Stir Greek yogurt and cheese into sausage mixture.
  6. Drain excess liquid from squash and sausage mixture in the pan and spoon into a casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
  7. Top with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
  8. Cool and enjoy.

safaveih chairs 007

I was really pleased with how the casserole turned out!

safaveih chairs 011

It was delicious and Ryan and I both enjoyed every bite. We polished off the entire casserole between the two of us.

Full of Surprises

After dinner, our night was quite eventful! Well, not really, but there were a lot of little surprises.

First, we saw a scorpion in our screened-in porch.

safaveih chairs 014

A scorpion!

I didn’t even know we had those in Florida. What the heck!?

Ryan got rid of the freaky thing and I’m just hoping he’s not part of a scorpion pack or something. And I thought cockroaches and spiders were bad! (Cockroaches are 10,000 times worse than non-poisonous spiders in my opinion. Ryan vehemently disagrees with me on this one.)

And then we had another surprise… but a good one this time.

Furniture delivery!

Can you guess what we ordered?

safaveih chairs 015

Chairs!

safaveih chairs 016

(Do not judge the greasy hair and no make up. I work at home and I’m not the kind of girl who puts makeup on for her dog… or husband, apparently.)

safaveih chairs 021

We also received a new decorative table that Ryan assembled like a champ.

safaveih chairs 022

Sadie’s helpfulness rivaled her helpfulness when we were moving.

Ryan got the table up in no time at all.

table 002

Sadie clearly thinks she’s way more important than a new piece of fantastic smelling furniture. Seriously that table smells like cedar wood heaven. Mmm.

I ordered the three pieces of furniture off RueLaLa late last week and we weren’t anticipating their arrival until September 30, so we were stoked when they came early!

Off to go sniff our new table hang out with my husband!

Comments

1. Emma @ Microcosm of Life says

I am all about casseroles lately. That one looks good…anything with apple sausage? Sign me up!

Trust me, if I worked at home I would just never shower. Sorry, boyfriend.

A few years ago at work my friend was looking at a magazine and there was a scorpion inside!! I’ve never screamed so loud or ran so fast in my life! That was my first wake up call to those little suckers on Florida as well.

• mkr says

I thought the same thing, usually because when I buy furniture, it’s in pieces in a flat box, waiting for me to spend hours assembling it 😉 one day I’ll be a big kid and have ‘real’ furniture!

Ohh I’m loving how your house is coming together! P.S. It is so cool chair boxes look like the chairs! This is probably a duh statement but I never thought you’d be able to sit on a chair when its in the box! The little things amuse me. ;p

4. Nicole says

I love the table you purchased! I also love the different colored leaf placemats. Such great decor for the fall! Where did you find them?

5. Anna says

I was looking on Pinterest today and found the picture of you and Ryan on your wedding day, when you were holding hands behind the door. So cool! Such a great picture!

That casserole looks so up my alley! I got excited when I saw pumpkins in the market this week and it made me start thinking about squash recipes even more than usual…

I love the table you guys got! And I only wish I looked so presentable with unwashed hair and no makeup 🙂

That casserole sounds awesome! I love doing my own thing with recipes. I usually get great ideas from the magazines but then always end up just putting my own spin on them.

you are the queen of rue la la!!!
    i never get there in time to score such awesome stuff! {damn you, time difference!!!}

i love that last pic of sadie. she has that “whatchu talkin’ bout, willis?” look on. lol.

9. Katie G says

Sooo…. i was just casually dipping my fingers in the peanut butter jar today and licking them, as per usual, then i looked in the mirror and realized i felt exactly how you must feel when you catch yourself doing that! Hahaha! I love your blog and LOOVVVE peanut butter ALMOST as much as you do! 😉

10. Haley says

I spy cute leaf placemats on your dining room table. I have them in green and brown! I just love Fall decorating. I’ve been addicted to reading your blog for a while, but this is my first comment. Hi!

Haha bless Sadie, gotta love it when dogs are ‘helpful assistants’ in the goings on at home. Mine specialize in getting in the way whilst packing suitcases, up to and including climbing into them. Really useful.

And I’m with you on the cockroaches, they make my skin crawl. Ugh!

I had no idea that chairs came in boxes like that! Too cool! 🙂

Also, I totally agree about cockroaches. I am absolutely terrified of them while my man is terrified of spiders. It is hilarious that he will yell for me to come take care of them! lol

I didn’t think there were scorpians in florida either!! So random! And I love this recipe – and all the ones you make! I appreciate that you make them simple! I’ll look at other blogs and see 20 ingredients and get discouraged!

I work from home too, and I DO shower, but I wash my hair every other day. However, only some days do I actually manage to get makeup on. Luckily my husband loves me SO much he doesn’t care 🙂 I always make it a point to get really nice (makeup/hair/cute outfit) 1-2 times per week!

Love the simple recipe! I am so not a fan of long lists and directions!

That’s awesome that you got your furniture- looks so cute!

I work in an office, and I STILL don’t wear that much makeup- just blush and mascara really! I prob should put in more of an effort, but eye shadow and the whole shabang is far too much to consider at the buttcrack of dawn. 😉

16. Mallory @ It's Only Life, After All says

That casserole looks awesome… I think breadcrumbs make anything twice as good 😉

17. kyla says

I remember having a book by DK when I was younger about different types of animals and creatures that featured real pictures of the animal/creature. The scorpion page ALWAYS terrified me and it was at the back of the book too so I had to make sure I never flipped to that page otherwise my heart would start beating fast and I would flip out. Needless to say, that scorpion picture tonight scared me! Glad to know that things which once scared me as a 5 year old still terrify me as a 22 year old. Some things never change.

18. Anne Marie says

I’m totally with you on cockroaches being worse.. I cry when I have to pick up a dead one.

Luckily, my furry friends seem to kill them for me–its that time of year when the seasons change and the buggies come out 🙁

I completely agree with you on roaches. I think they are worse than pretty much any other spider/bug out there. I even think I’d rather have mice than roaches! So gross!
    I work from home too and today when I showered at 5pm, but on non-workout clothes and actual jewelry, I felt like a new person!

My husband, daughter and I recently went to Arizona to stay at my Dad’s vacation home. We arrived at night and the first thing I saw when I walked in the door was a dead scorpion. It freaked me out, especially because I have an adventurous 16 month old. We searched the house and found 3 more. Only 1 of them was alive, my Dad had been the a week before to spray. This was my first time ever seeing one and I don’t care to see one ever again. Creepy!! 😉
    ~Kari

21. kaliesthoughts says

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate any moving creature that is small! Nice dinner and chairs though!

22. Sarah says

Love the new furniture! And your dinner looks so yummy! I have an issue with spiders, cockroaches and I’m guessing I would with scorpions too (I’ve never seen one!) but I freeze up and can’t move, which isn’t great when the aim is to get as far away from the thing as possible!!

Three cheers for working from home! I hardly ever wear makeup anyway, but there is something liberating in knowing I could wear my pajamas all day long if I so desired. And let’s be honest, I definitely do desire!

Love that new table, by the way! And Sadie, she could not be any cuter.

I work at home, too, and there’s no way I’m getting gussied up for my computer (or my husband). But if a friend comes over….the face gets painted! LOL

The furniture is gorgeous, but I’m more impressed with the squash casserole! I am always looking for gluten-free options for 75% of my meals, and this one is a home-run!

I would have been screaming on the top of my lungs if I saw that scorpion in person! I cannot get near bugs, insects or anything of that nature. I scream and my fiance knows there is a bug he must kill! Haha. 😉

That squash casserole looks awesome. I’m loving the furniture too! The placemats are super cute!

Ohh I love squash so that squash casserole looks delicious! I might make mine veggie though since I’m not a sausage fan. Yay for the new furniture! I can’t believe you got it on RLL! Those are such good finds and I’m especially loving your white chair!

27. Whitney L. says

I live in Montana and we found a small scorpion last summer… now, what the heck was it doing up here?! I NEVER would have thought we had scorpions!

28. Mandi L. says

I have the same leaves!! I finally got my fall decorations up last night and I forgot I even had them. Love your new furniture, it must be so much fun to start over with new fun stuff!

29. kimberly says

Hey Julie looked your link and your recipe so much I rushed right outside and picked this overgrown squash measured @ 13″ and commenced with making the squash recipe but with variations.Mine was sauteed w/onions like my mama used to make I also had basil growing on my back porch that I added and the Mozz/chicken sausage I brought from Sam’s club.Anyway I wanted vegs for lunch and had been online for something diff to do with them so thank you very much.P.S.I had so much from this big squash I shared with 3 of my neighbors and 1 don’t even eat squash/till now.

I made the casserole last night, i had to buy the turkey cheddar sausage, cause thats all they had… but it turned out great, i have a post of it on my blog.