First, let’s plow through dinner.
Dinner tonight was pretty darn tasty.
I made a yummy casserole using summer squash, chicken apple sausage, Greek yogurt, onion, garlic, cheese and breadcrumbs.
I initially had plans to follow Cooking Light’s recipe for yellow squash casserole, but I ended up veering off course and doing my own thing.
Serves: Two very hungry people, or four as a side
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 6 ounces chicken sausage (I used apple-flavored chicken sausage), chopped into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups sliced yellow squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 slices wheat bread
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until onions become slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add squash to sausage mixture and cook on medium heat until squash is slightly soft, about 8 minutes.
- Place the bread in a food processor, and pulse until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup.
- Stir Greek yogurt and cheese into sausage mixture.
- Drain excess liquid from squash and sausage mixture in the pan and spoon into a casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Top with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy.
I was really pleased with how the casserole turned out!
It was delicious and Ryan and I both enjoyed every bite. We polished off the entire casserole between the two of us.
Full of Surprises
After dinner, our night was quite eventful! Well, not really, but there were a lot of little surprises.
First, we saw a scorpion in our screened-in porch.
I didn’t even know we had those in Florida. What the heck!?
Ryan got rid of the freaky thing and I’m just hoping he’s not part of a scorpion pack or something. And I thought cockroaches and spiders were bad! (Cockroaches are 10,000 times worse than non-poisonous spiders in my opinion. Ryan vehemently disagrees with me on this one.)
And then we had another surprise… but a good one this time.
Can you guess what we ordered?
(Do not judge the greasy hair and no make up. I work at home and I’m not the kind of girl who puts makeup on for her dog… or husband, apparently.)
We also received a new decorative table that Ryan assembled like a champ.
Sadie’s helpfulness rivaled her helpfulness when we were moving.
Ryan got the table up in no time at all.
Sadie clearly thinks she’s way more important than a new piece of fantastic smelling furniture. Seriously that table smells like cedar wood heaven. Mmm.
I ordered the three pieces of furniture off RueLaLa late last week and we weren’t anticipating their arrival until September 30, so we were stoked when they came early!
Off to go sniff our new table hang out with my husband!