Eating Our One Year Old Wedding Cake

Our anniversary yesterday started out on a fairly unrelaxing note. Since we skipped the long run we had planned as part of our half marathon training on Saturday, that meant we had to cram it in on Sunday morning.

My Garmin wasn’t charged, so I’m not exactly sure how far we ran, but we ran the 10K course from the Race for the Cure that we did earlier this month and kept going for another 15 – 20 minutes. I’m thinking we did right around 8 miles.

The run was actually enjoyable! Ryan and I both appreciated the change in scenery, and considering most of our run took place along the water it was a beautiful way to start the day.

Post run we showered back at the hotel before meeting up with my parents for a fancy brunch at Marchand’s, a wonderful restaurant located inside the hotel.

I didn’t take pictures of all the display stations like I did last time we went to this brunch because I was too hungry to think about anything other than eating.

My mom, dad, Ryan and I all made a beeline for the seafood station and loaded up on crab claws and crab legs. I also filled my plate with pulled pork, caramelized onions, roasted potatoes, broccoli rabe, and a tomato and cucumber salad.

one year anniversary 030

I had seconds of the craw legs before it was time for dessert.

I filled my plate with sweet treats thinking I would be sharing with everyone, but I ended up dominating the entire plate myself, leaving only half of the tiramisu cupcake remaining.

one year anniversary 032

I also grabbed three more of the mini glazed doughnuts on a stick because they were so darn tasty. Ryan and I thought the glaze had a slight lemon flavor that made them extra fantastic.

Our Wedding Cake: One Year Later

We all hung out at the brunch for a good two hours, nibbling at more goodies from the amazing buffet, sipping hot tea and mimosas before heading home for a very special moment!

Recognize this baby?

one year anniversary 035

one year anniversary 037It’s the top tier of our wedding cake!

wedding cake

one year anniversary 036

We froze it in my parents’ freezer for the past year and on Saturday moved the cake from the freezer to the fridge before placing it on the counter top three hours before we planned to eat it on Sunday.

one year anniversary 040

We were all surprised at just how well our cake held up! It was still very tasty and the red velvet cake and white chocolate mousse filling still tasted great, though the cake was a bit drier than it was on our wedding day.

The buttercream icing wasn’t nearly as good as it was a year ago, but we were just happy our cake was edible! It was so fun to be able to eat something from that special day a year later.

one year anniversary 041

Oh! And for those of you who asked, Ryan loved the anniversary gift I made for him. Yay!

Comments

I love the spiderweb brownie on your plate–what a cute treat for Halloween!

That’s awesome that your cake held up; I can’t wait to see how ours tastes–if it lasts a year…it is pretty tempting overtime I open up the freezer!

Happy Anny! So glad you two had a wonderful one!

I loved the gift you got him! So thoughtful and meaningful!

I hope our top layer of cake tastes good too next June!

Happy Halloween! xo

Aw, I’m so happy that you two had a wonderful anniversary! I’m glad that he loved your gift. I think the idea of eating the top of your wedding cake a year later is so sweet! I cannot wait to do that once I get married. I’m glad to hear that it still tasted good. Red velvet is delicious 🙂

I can’t believe you guys have been married for a YEAR already. Seriously? I feel like it was a week ago that you were posting about the pink eye and being sick but still being so excited (am I creepy for remembering that?) Happy anniversary to the two of you, I’m glad you had such a wonderful weekend together and with your family!!

You are making me REALLY excited for my wedding next August… and all of the years of anniversaries!

Happy Annaversariy to both you and Ryan!! If you lived up north, you would have been celebrating in SNOW!

Your brunch meal looks fantastic!

We had a red velvet cake for our wedding too! Unfortunately we weren’t able to save the top tier because our wedding was in AZ and we live in UT, and it would’ve been a hassle to deal with transporting it all over. It looked like you guys had a very special day! Congrats!

I also have some of my wedding cake all wrapped up in my freezer. Just hoping it’s edible a year later… haha

Happy anniversary! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful weekend. 🙂

Sounds like the perfect day. Congratulations on making your first year great, it’s a huge accomplishment 🙂

Loved the gift & I am so impressed that you waited a year to eat the cake. Ours only last 2 weeks & then we broke into it!

I LOVED eating our wedding cake (top) tier one year later. Ours tasted still totally amazing. We actually took it to a restaurant and ate it there after eating dinner–it was awesome!!

Sounds like you had a great time celebrating! Congrats 🙂

10. Erica says

random fact: picture # 6 it looks like you are floating because the counter matches the mats dimensions (it fits in like perfectly.) At first glance it looks like your skirt just ends part way. i had to take a long second glance to determine that it was the counter, not a strange photo mishap.

11. Beth (Well I'll Be) says

Happy Anniversary! Yall were smart and took your flowers off before you froze the cake. We totally forgot and they did not defrost very well!

12. Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY says

What a beautiful wedding cake! It’s elegant and classic. Plus you can never go wrong with red velvet.

Congratulations on 1 year!

Happy Anniversary!!

When I got married, instead of keeping the top of the cake, our baker made a mini version of our cake. We ate it a year later and it was still so delicious! Our flavor was apricot spice. Delicious!

Wow- your cake DID hold up well! Our top tier is sitting in our freezer, but we got married last July, so we have a while to find out if it’s still good! I was thinking of just getting a mini-cake made by the same baker.

I am SO stealing that idea for the anniversary gift. How cute!!!

I’ve heard mixed reviews about eating the cake a year later. Where my husband and I got our cake from, the make you a new top-tier looking cake (very similar to your wedding cake) on your 1 year anniversary which I thought was an amazing idea so we skipped tradition, ate the top tier the week after the wedding and had a fresh cake at 1 year.

I’m glad yours still tasted good!! It’s beautiful!

This is one of those traditions that I’m already excited to partake in…and I’m not even engaged yet! Glad it held up for you guys, and that Ryan loved his gift.

I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering: what did YOU get?!

17. Kanoe says

Awww that’s so nice! I like that you & Ryan had a red velvet cake as your wedding cake. Red Velvet is a fav of mine so that’s awesome and looks quite tasty.

Happy 1 year anniversary!!!! the best is so yet to come 🙂

Also, the anniversary gift you made for Ryan has to be the cutest thing I ever saw. Fantastic idea and very crafty!

SO cool! I love that tradition. And I agree with jennygirl, you made Ryan such a sweet and thoughtful gift AND kept with the theme. I love it!

Did you show n tell what Ryan gave you? I wasn’t sure if you’d posted it and I missed it…

Anyway, Happy Belated 1st Anniversary to you both!